What are we doing about HAIRCUTS?!!!!!!

pcur

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

And now a reverse across-the-pond question -- why is a sweater called a "jumper" in the UK?  (I know there are a ton of linguistic differences, but keeping this limited to fashion to stay on topic, lol...)

I'm going to start a new thread on just this topic.  Check it out, add to it, correct me if I'm wrong.

I  was supposed to have my "every 5 weeks" appointment with my stylist to get the "skunk stripe" taken care of, have her check to see if my hair is still growing back (lost a bit last year when I was sick), and generally gossip about what is going on around town.  It was going to be on April 2, but our "stay at home" and "hair styling is not an essential service" order, I had to forego it.  My stylist sent me a text that she did have to cancel due to the order.  BUT, she also included what shade of semi-perm root touchup or spay on root touchup to use that I could pick up at the market!!  Now, that's a good stylist.  If I ever have to outside before I can see her again (tentative on May 7) and I can't wear a baseball hat, I have my can of Loreal Magic Root Coverup spray in Medium Brown.  

For my hair, it's having a great vacation.  It gets washed every couple of days and then it's left alone to do it's thing.  I'm not going anywhere, so it's no big deal.  It's just what I do on a regular vacation since I won't see anyone I know.  BUT, if I go to the market, well, it's a small enough town that I'll run into at least a few who know me, so I'll put in a baseball hat...

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 11:32 AM, pcur said:

I have short hair.  It needs to be cut at least every 4 weeks, or one side of my head looks like a ski slope.  It's clippered on the sides and back, and longer on top.  If it gets too long I look like, well, as my husband puts it, "you put your head in a clothes dryer on fluff dry cycle".  My head just keeps looking bigger and bigger and bigger.  Great if you live in Texas in 1965; not so good CA in 2020.

So, I finally worked up the nerve to cut it myself.  It took me 2 weeks to finally be brave enough.  I figured, "I've watched someone cut my hair for 45 years, so I can do this".  

I cut the top just fine, using straight manicur scissors.  I still don't have the nerve to go at the bottom with the clippers, but I will have to.  I'll look like I have a mullet in a few weeks.

I also cut my husband's hair, clippers and all.  Not the best, but the more choppy look was kinda edgey looking on him, and I like it!!

What about you?

My wife has been cutting my and my kids hair for decades, now that they have all come home to roost she has added cooking three meals for 6 and cutting hair back into her routine.   

On 4/11/2020 at 8:26 AM, WELDON said:

I gave myself a trim a few weeks ago. My appt. was supposed to be 4/1 and I went longer than usual because I was timing it to an upcoming cruise.  My hair length is almost to the shoulders.  I cut about a 1/2 inch.  It came out pretty even.  If people decide to try a trim, here are some tips.  

Cut your hair wet.  Cut small sections at a time, say from the front of your face to the front of your ear.  Use part of the cut section as a guide for the next section.  Only trim a small amount of hair.  Don't cut layers, only trim the ends.  You won't mess up your whole head.  And to another poster, please don't use manicure scissors.  They are too dull and not made for hair.  If you don't have hair shears, kitchen or sewing shears are better.  At least they are sharp.  

My manicure scissors worked very well for my short hair, and I think it's because I have a lot of medium-fine hair.  So, the weight of the hair wasn't dragging against the scissors.  The only way I can get a decent cut doing it myself, is to do exactly what you describe, but I have to hold the section of hair with the hair FACING forward.   This way I can see the shorter hair on the lower end of the section, and cut the rest of the section properly.

I don't have grey hairs; I have platinum highlights.

Seriously, though, I color my hair myself. I'm too thrifty to have someone else do it. I haven't had a hair cut since late November. I had to cancel my January cut because I was ill, and so was my stylist. I used to go 12-20 months between cuts, partly due to thriftiness, and partly due to never finding a stylist I really liked. Pony tails and barrettes were my friends. I found a wonderful stylist over a year ago, and was actually getting cuts every 6 weeks or so. Oddly, I had a fantastic hair day yesterday: kind of a waste.

I've been cutting Hubby's hair for years, but it's super easy: #2 on the sides and #3 on the top with clippers.

My 21 year-old daughter gave herself bangs (fringe) a couple of days ago. It looks cute.

We safely retrieved our 24 year-old from his home in Montana without any contact with others last weekend. He had gotten a haircut before stay-at-home orders started in MT, but his hair is getting a bit long now. He teaches his students online via video conferencing. One commented that his hair was getting a bit long, but his bow ties still look sharp. Little do they know that he's also wearing shorts and no shoes. 😉

Our youngest (18 next week) was coming due for a haircut when school abruptly ended the 13th of March. His hair grows quickly, and he's looking rather scruffy. He has also stopped shaving, having told his forensic science teacher that he was "going to grow a beard as majestic as" his while home. I am not a fan of the beard at all. Oddly, the kid doesn't seem to grow hair around his mouth, so he has an Abraham Lincoln style beard. The kid has lost the second half of drumline season, band festival season, two concerts, his senior solo, his prom, his graduation, Drum Corps International season this summer, and more. He's like hundreds of millions of others who have lost once-in-a-lifetime experiences. If he wants to be scruffy right now with long hair and a goofy-looking beard, so be it. 

• Like 6

Also, I had planned on stopping coloring my hair once the youngest graduates, as we intended to travel full-time, and it would just be too much hassle.

So much for those plans! I get the dye via my Amazon Subscribe and Save and just got three boxes, so I guess I'll keep going for a while.

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

For my hair, it's having a great vacation.  It gets washed every couple of days and then it's left alone to do it's thing.

Same.... I guess it's one of the silver linings of the stay-at-home situation; I normally wash my hair daily but now it's typically every other day and occasionally just every 3rd day.  And while I normally blow dry it 90% of the time, I think I've only used the blow dryer on it maybe 3 times in the past month.  I just let it air dry and end up putting it in a ponytail to keep it off my face.  It's going to be healthiest looking and feeling that its been in many years!

13 hours ago, pcur said:

My manicure scissors worked very well for my short hair, and I think it's because I have a lot of medium-fine hair. 

A note for those for whom tiny manicure scissors might NOT work well.... many hair clipper sets include a pair hair scissors that are much bigger than manicure scissors.  I'm sure they aren't the same quality that you might get at a beauty supply store, but would be better than nothing if you need to cut your own longer or thicker hair.  And since hair clipper sets are sold at big box stores like Walmart and Target, they would theoretically be available for purchase.  Mind you, thousands of others may have already had the same idea, so just throwing it out there in case it helps someone.  

On 4/12/2020 at 9:17 PM, MamaFej said:

I don't have grey hairs; I have platinum highlights.

Ahh, if only mine were 'platinum' I'd love it. But I have the really dark iron-gray variety. :classic_wacko:

My son and I both use the same stylist (have done since he was about 7 and he's too lazy to switch). We have developed elaborate plans to lure her over to our house, snatch her inside, spray her with Lysol and get her to do our hair. :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I wanted to give DH a hair cut.  But he wants to wait because he says no one see him.   What would happen every month, he would get a hair cut, then come home and I would have to re-cut it and fix it.  His old time barber is not doing the best job.  But he feels bad not going to him.  When we were snowbirds, I did his hair all the time in Florida.  He likes my hair cuts.  He better, I spent 25 years of my life cutting hair in a major city.

But, I will not cut my own.  My short very curly hair hides a lot of growth. I just need to wash it and put gel on it. No blow dryer and I am fine.

I don't color my hair, I am about 20% grey.  I really like grey hair.  I have seen some woman who have beautiful grey hair.

I've been growing my hair out for a while. I've usually had longer hair but have gotten the bug to cut it shorter at various points in life. I went very short several years ago and finally discovered short hair isn't for me...I need my hair to be long enough to move around. I also feel very masculine looking with shorter hair...gender neutral may be a thing for some but I seriously felt like Pat from SNL... So I was working with my stylist in GA to grow it out and when we moved to NC I continued to grow it out and knowing that we were moving to FL, at my last hair cut before last May, it was still a shaping and trimming and otherwise letting it go. So it's been almost a year and still no cut. 

I DID experiment with hair color that I had purchased over a year ago. A lovely purple. It came out awesome. Very messy...especially with how long my hair is now (the longest layers are at my waist), but I really like it. I left a rectangle on the top of my head natural and colored everywhere else.

I've been cutting DH's hair since college...with a short break in there...so basically, almost 30 years? I did the same cut for years and years but finally got DH to give into his curls on the top. Now we're going for a Viking look with the latest style so he's growing out the top and I just do a bald fade on the sides. His hair was finally long enough to need a trim on the top, but since I had been cutting the top for years, I have hair specific shears. If you can get hair specific shears, they are really nice because of the specific hand grip. 

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

I don't color my hair, I am about 20% grey.  I really like grey hair.  I have seen some woman who have beautiful grey hair.

Both of my grandmothers lived into their 90s. One had beautiful silvery-grey hair, one had dull mousy-grey hair. I'm hoping for the former, but expecting the latter.

• Like 2

Anita, your husband could definitely rock the Viking look based on some of your pictures.  I like his curls, but if the top is long enough you could maybe play with braids too.

I'm like my mom was and don't have any grey (at least not that I've seen), but my sister has a few that show when her color grows out.  Our Dad's mom had pretty white hair when she passed in her 70's (mostly remember her through pictures) while our Mom's mother had stunning silver/white at the end in her 90's but was dark hair through 60's and possibly 70's- her mom always wore a wig but the rare mornings I saw her without one in her 80's and 90's it was a yellowish white.

I love the look of grey hair, but with all my freckles I'm not sure how it will look on me.

pacruise...Dh's hair is long enough now that I can French braid the top to a small pony tail! It's hard to judge length with his curls but when he wears his hair down, it covers his ears.

I don't have much gray...and what I do have seems to be pretty well distributed through my hair. There's not enough for me to really be able to tell what color it is. I can just tell it's the "gray" hair. I don't mind gray hair as a rule, like any hair color, I think it just matters how it looks with skin tone, etc. Sometimes the gray isn't truly gray, more like some gray and an overall dulling of natural hair coloring...and that's not really flattering if the natural color is a medium to deep color. I think true gray ends up being flattering.

pacruise...are you a red head with all the freckles? DH is and his "gray" is white. His maternal grandfather was red and went white as well. However the quality of the white hair, it's really flattering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

pacruise...are you a red head with all the freckles? DH is and his "gray" is white. His maternal grandfather was red and went white as well. However the quality of the white hair, it's really flattering.

Many redheads go white rather than gray. My glitter hair is so mixed in that I can't really tell whether it's white or gray. My red lightened to strawberry before I started going white/gray so it blends pretty well. I really only notice it in pictures--I think I block it out when I look in the mirror.

Light to medium brown depending on how much sun I get, but hoping to try some red when my stylist is allowed to work again (and assuming I meet my weight loss goal with that as my reward).

I do have some undertones though, pretty sure DH and I both have recessive red genes since we have cousins with red hair.  Both our children looked like they might have red when they were born, but now DD has medium to dark brown and DS is almost blonde.  DH hair used to be light brown and is now almost black - lots of white in the beard though.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

I quit coloring my hair about 2 years ago. I had by this time grown all the old color out and had only my natural salt and pepper color. I'd been considering letting it grow to my shoulders, but have always hated that awkward stage when I can't do a thing with my hair. CV-19 has allowed me to grow it longer and hide away that awkward growth stage.

Yay-one  good thing about the virus and all that goes with it!

Some people can go gray gracefully and the salt and pepper look really works for some. A friend of mine has ash blond hair and her gray is also an ash tone rather than a yellow tone so she looks great without coloring her hair. 

• Like 1

My stylist opened up on 1 May!!!  She sanitizes between each customer, only letting one person in at a time. I had a 9 am appt. brought her a bottle of wine...I think she smiled, hard to tell with the mask. I feel so much more like me!  I was a redhead until 2001 when I decided I was tired of coloring every 2 weeks. Low lighted it, cut it short & never looked back. 

7A7EBABF-E7C2-4ED4-B4BF-70BF0CA80D46.jpeg

• Like 2

YEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!  The Skunk Stripe is gone and ends clipped!!!  My stylist opened on Monday.  She is immune-compromised anyway, so she was doing more than what the County Health Dept. requires.  She took over one of the aesthetics rooms and turned it into her own little station.  Wiped everything down.  The stuff she sprays on the chair has to sit on it and "marinate" for 15 minutes before she wipes it.  Everyone, stylist and client, must wear a mask.  Before sitting down, you use hand sanitizer.   It was so nice to see her again after 10 weeks.  We're old friends and always look forward to our rumor and chit chat sessions.   We just did the coverup coloring today since there was so much gray to work on.  Next time, we'll get into our summer highlighting.   She said my hair was in great condition; I told her my hair just had a really long vacation from having anything done to it - wash maybe every 5-6 days (dry & curly, so that works for it) since I wasn't going anywhere, and I put no product on it, and just let it air dry.  

I feel human again.  

• Like 4

I don't like to post photos of myself, but I thought some could get a chuckle out of the "how to get your hair colored during COVID restrictions."   Fashion notes - mask given to me by a neighborhood esthetician, new Sweaty Betty leggings, and my trust old Solomon trail runners.  

IMG_0729.JPG

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 3

Good morning...….our Governor just came out with releasing of Salons, Barbershops, etc …...this coming week.

I had been texting the gal I have been using for nearly 25 years and now hopefully I will be able to get a hair cut

within the next couple of weeks!!  Not sure of the exact logistics of the shop changes or anything but I need a cut.

• Like 2

Wish I could get mine done, but I'm not willing to risk it. I live in a county with the second highest rate of COVID-19 infections in my state. I'll have to be content for now with some very judicious self-trimming and color touch-up.  :classic_sad:

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

Lois, I found getting my hair cut to be such a mood enhancer!  How’re you feeling?  Hope you’re getting on a doable schedule 

Hi, I am ok, thank you. My feet are still swollen but I am just not going to stress myself out over it.

I am overall feeling ok.  As for a schedule? My whole life changed at on Jan 1st....I retired. Was supposed to have

taken that BIG cruise in April...(retirement celebration). Well, of course Covid hit...…..then, I got sick....now?

Schedule? I have no schedule right now.  I make sure to check my sugar when I get up...…..do my insulin and

eat breakfast.  The last few days? Well, I did have a new toilet installed:classic_smile: and needed a new disposal.  So at

least that is now taken care of.   I went to the grocery store to get fresher foods....frozen veggies and

some fresh fruit, some cheeses, fresh sliced turkey, ham, hummus, carrots, (need something to snack on).

Got some chicken, chops, and no need to go to the store for awhile.  Got blueberries and strawberries

too...…..and since some natural sugar is ok I got those cuties (oranges) for fresh juice!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I am ok, thank you. My feet are still swollen but I am just not going to stress myself out over it.

I am overall feeling ok.  As for a schedule? My whole life changed at on Jan 1st....I retired. Was supposed to have

taken that BIG cruise in April...(retirement celebration). Well, of course Covid hit...…..then, I got sick....now?

Schedule? I have no schedule right now.  I make sure to check my sugar when I get up...…..do my insulin and

eat breakfast.  The last few days? Well, I did have a new toilet installed:classic_smile: and needed a new disposal.  So at

least that is now taken care of.   I went to the grocery store to get fresher foods....frozen veggies and

some fresh fruit, some cheeses, fresh sliced turkey, ham, hummus, carrots, (need something to snack on).

Got some chicken, chops, and no need to go to the store for awhile.  Got blueberries and strawberries

too...…..and since some to natural sugar is ok I got those cuties (oranges) for fresh juice!!!

Atta girl!  Just remember to try to keep your meals varied and FUN!  I do the carrot & hummus snack, too.  But, my favorite is apples & fresh ground peanut butter (not jarred).  But, the peanut grinder is out at Whole Foods for now, so I just do the apple with a jar of unsalted crunchy butter.  

Question if it's not too personal:  Are you doing Medicare for your meds and such?  I have used my Part D twice now for meds.  BUT, Thursday, my provider put in a refill for my lancets and test strips.  Turns out my little pharmacy can't do them for me anymore (I did them when I got my insurance through my job) because they are considered "durable equipment" or some such nonsense and are covered by Part B, not D.  So, I have to get my provider to resend the refill over to Walmart.  Ugh I HATE Walmart and right now, with all the People of Walmart walking around in family packs with no masks, I really don't want to go there.  

• Like 1