FCC for over 70 update

13 hours ago, CTCruiser76 said:

Someone may have said this already, maybe I missed it, but what stopping someone (not a real Dr.)  from just signing the document and providing a phony registration  number ?  Are they really checking it with anyone before you board? 

My guess is probably not, but since I have to fly to a cruise port, I'm certainly not going to take a chance that they do check.  For people who drive, it's not as much of an issue - if they can't board, then they get a FCC and go home.

My cruise in May was cancelled by RCI.  I elected a cash refund instead of FCC.  I'm glad now I did because I am 74 & am diabetic.  It is controlled but from what I have been reading, I will be denied boarding.  So FCC is useless to me.  I was excited about this cruise because it was my first as a Diamond member.  It looks like I have reached the end of my cruising addiction.  I am so disappointed.  

Still trying to figure out how or who is being benefited from this.  The passenger that may get sick/die while on the cruise?  What about getting the cruise insurance developed to ACTUALLY cover circumstances/conditions to treat and/or remove/evacuate a passenger over 70 and make this a mandatory option to purchase if they want to cruise.  Or is it just to further indemnify the cruise line from any lawsuits?  I think if I had or have a condition when I reach 70, the right insurance could make sense for me to be able to cruise and I would just need to figure that into my cost for the cruise.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Someone asked on Royal's FB page if the note will be required every time you cruise and the answer is yes so if you have 4 cruises booked this year you will need to bring 4 doctor's notes.  

Looks like Staples will be doing a booming copy business. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Looks like Staples will be doing a booming copy business. 

I imagine this policy will get tweeked as it goes along-  So far I have not seen any mention or note on Royals' letter saying that you can't do like you are saying and use the same letter for all cruises, at least for this year

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Biker, who wonders how long it will take for FCCs to make onto eBay and what the discount will be compared to face value.

You could package them with a C&A towel or maybe a crystal block.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

The only people getting FCC’s are people who chose not to buy cancel for any reason insurance, or who live in New York and couldn’t buy it, or who were excited about the extra 25% they were getting and chose that over the cash refund. Am I leaving anyone out? 

Probably most people outside the US. In Europe we don't have cancel for any reason. Policy only allows you to get your money back when you get sick, pregnant, unemployed etc.. 

And there is no refundable rate. We pay 10-20% upfront as a nonrefundable rate. Final payment due 30 days before the cruise (might be different in the UK). If people over 70 don't get the doctor's note or someone wants to cancel for whatever reason, they are out of luck. 

3 hours ago, mek said:

And people do that upfront - they know going into it that it is a requirement.  If that's the rule going forward, then that's the rule.  But for them to change the requirement after we have booked something isn't right, so it is quite different, IMO.

Times have changed forever. A lot of things will be different going forward. 

In my opinion 

Why would the new rules  enforced for those of us who booked cruises before this rule was in effect. I have a contract with the cruise that was made last year for a cruise in 2021, This should still be honored. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, New Mexico 8 said:

The vaccine will definitely be a lifesaver but it will not make a 71 year old any younger. So here is my problem... we have cruised successfully for many years. Now I am out $600  insurance and  $1,100 on deposits and can't do anything about it..    

We can all hope that a virus and cure will be available by end of 2020 and then we can all use our fcc's in 2021 as I think once the CLIA feels confident the virus is no longer a threat they will lift the requirement for the doctors note and other health restrictions for those under 70.    At least that is what I hope will happen.   

For now, I still hold out hope that we can do our b2b for the Baltic and Norwegian fjords this August.  

Stay positive and we will all get thru this.

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Someone asked on Royal's FB page if the note will be required every time you cruise and the answer is yes so if you have 4 cruises booked this year you will need to bring 4 doctor's notes.  

What about B2B, will you need one for each cruise? I read on here before too that the note had to be signed within 1 week sailing. I wonder how that will work if you go to Europe early and then plan to sail once your there for a couple weeks.

Requiring doctors letter that no reputable physician would sign - ambulance chasers and class action discrimination suits on the way.  Probably won't go anywhere in the courts, but more bad PR for RCCL.  Also wonder if Holland America will make it as it seems a good percentage of their passengers would be banned.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

What about B2B, will you need one for each cruise? I read on here before too that the note had to be signed within 1 week sailing. I wonder how that will work if you go to Europe early and then plan to sail once your there for a couple weeks.

1 note.  No date requirement...that is for NCL. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

The letter specifically reads, ".. (heart , lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency status due to HIV/AIDS or diabetes) which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019- nCoV)/COVIDE-19.

Does not state cancer or hypertensive - hypertensive is NOT a heart disease - it is a treatable condition

9 minutes ago, FloridaGator said:

Requiring doctors letter that no reputable physician would sign - ambulance chasers and class action discrimination suits on the way.  Probably won't go anywhere in the courts, but more bad PR for RCCL.  Also wonder if Holland America will make it as it seems a good percentage of their passengers would be banned.

It is my understanding that the CLIA set this requirement when they met with VP Pence early March and this is being required by all cruise lines.   I know Carnival requires so I am sure HAL will too since they are owned by Carnival.    If this requirement remains in place later in 2020 or 2021 I think you will see a lot of people showing up invalid doctor's notes and those with diabetes, etc. younger than 70 will still say but will "fib" on any health questionnaires.     Let's all remain positive and hope this requirement disappears after we have this virus "under control".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Esahuma said:

The letter specifically reads, ".. (heart , lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency status due to HIV/AIDS or diabetes) which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019- nCoV)/COVIDE-19.

Does not state cancer or hypertensive - hypertensive is NOT a heart disease - it is a treatable condition

Diabetes is a treatable condition too - but it is on the list.     As hypertension can lead to heart disease it would be up to your doctor if they will write a note or not (if 70 or older).     

13 minutes ago, Esahuma said:

Just wanted to say "Hi"...we are up on the hills across the river from Copper River.

Hope you guys are staying healthy and safe. 😊

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It is my understanding that the CLIA set this requirement when they met with VP Pence early March and this is being required by all cruise lines.   

In case others were wondering, I will save you having to google this:  Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments

CLIA. Abbreviation for Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments. Federal legislation and the personnel and procedures established by it under the aegis of the Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA) for the surveillance and regulation of all clinical laboratory procedures in the United States.

3 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Or is it just to further indemnify the cruise line from any lawsuits?

this

There have been people who came right out and said they would sign away their rights for any legal recourse if it meant they could get on the ship.  

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1