FCC for over 70 update

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Other than the honor system if you are diabetic or any other underlying condition and under 70 how would they even know?

What if a form asks you to affirm you do not have any of the conditions.  And you lie.  And they find out because you get ill or ask for refills of medication if stuck on board during a quarantine.  What do you think happens?  Fraud comes to mind.  Lifetime ban comes to mind.  Legal action comes to mind.  Oh, and I bet any insurance coverage the liar may carry is instantly voided.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

No. Good luck finding a doctor to sign the form RC requires.

a.  Effective Monday, March 16, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

b. Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

That letter doesn't look very official. What's stopping anyone from signing it themselves with a made up name?

Nothing to keep anyone from signing it themselves except if Royal determines that they should be banned.  And no it is not fraud.

(Even when Royal has banned people in the past, they have ultimately taken their money and let them sail again.)

31 minutes ago, greykitty said:

This I agree with (and I think several of the cruise lines have pointed out they want letters from 'younger' people with these conditions).  Honestly, and I say this as someone with these conditions, only a fool would get on a cruise ship if they had these conditions.  And if I were that  fool, I would not expect anyone to put their life at risk to come rescue me.  

These are unusual times but once this pandemic is over, I wouldn't think twice about cruising again even with these underlying conditions.  Call me a fool.  Go on a longer cruise and see how many cruisers are over 70 ( especially on other lines), cruise lines can't afford to loose all of them.  I don't see needing a doctor's note lasting long once the pandemic is over.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, greykitty said:

And no ethical healthcare provider would sign it,  as I said...not just because of litigation, but because they care about the health of their patient.  Doesn't that mean something to people?   Why is a vacation worth more than your life, or the lives of those around you?

Right now I don't think the majority of people objecting to this has anything to do with a vacation being worth more than someone's life.  It has to do with Royal not wanting to refund our money for a cruise impacted by the required doctor's release.  Just give us a refund and most would be satisfied, but this crap that Royal is going to be generous and let us transfer the FCC to someone else is just plain BS.

Edited by mek
  • Like 9

48 minutes ago, greykitty said:

And no ethical healthcare provider would sign it,  as I said...not just because of litigation, but because they care about the health of their patient.  Doesn't that mean something to people?   Why is a vacation worth more than your life, or the lives of those around you?

and if you are not sick and perfectly healthy, you should not be able to travel just because you are over 70?????

6 minutes ago, mek said:

Right now I don't think the majority of people objecting to this has anything to do with a vacation being worth more than someone's life.  It has to do with Royal not wanting to refund our money for a cruise impacted by the required doctor's release.  Just give us a refund and most would be satisfied, but this crap that Royal is going to be generous and let me transfer the FCC to someone else is just plain BS.

Well, IMO, that's what people should be going after - not trying to justify joining a cruse by quoting EEOC or ADA (which probably has no bearing in this case - I don't think an attorney versed in these matters has weighed in yet?)  I agree that the cruise lines are, as a business, working to keep their cash flows as positive as possible, within legal bounds.  I don't see them 'doing the right thing' unless legally bound by their customers in general.

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, karena1 said:

and if you are not sick and perfectly healthy, you should not be able to travel just because you are over 70?????

A person over 70 who does not have even one of these chronic underlying conditions, is a person indeed blessed. And I suspect an ethical healthcare provider would sign off.  Question is, how many people do not have one of these conditions, even at an advanced age?  CLIA does have access to actuarial tables I bet.  They didn't come up with this out of thin air and without thinking about legal ramifications.  Or, if they are indeed that stupid, why in the world would anyone entrust their lives, and moneys, to ships that belong to such an association.

2 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Well, IMO, that's what people should be going after - not trying to justify joining a cruse by quoting EEOC or ADA (which probably has no bearing in this case - I don't think an attorney versed in these matters have weighed in yet?)  I agree that the cruise lines are, as a business, working to keep their cash flows as positive as possible, within legal bounds.  I don't see them 'doing the right thing' unless legally bound by their customers in general.

Well there is always the chance that crises won't even be up and running this year and if that is the case, then the doctor's release is a moot point.

• Like 1

Just now, mek said:

Well there is always the chance that crises won't even be up and running this year and if that is the case, then the doctor's release is a moot point.

I suspect that's way closer to the way things will roll out.  Fewer cruise lines, fewer ships, far less passengers maybe cruising in two years or so when hopefully a vaccine and treatment are available. 

And of course, some ship cruises and becomes another 'plague' ship, there goes the industry.  

2 minutes ago, greykitty said:

I suspect that's way closer to the way things will roll out.  Fewer cruise lines, fewer ships, far less passengers maybe cruising in two years or so when hopefully a vaccine and treatment are available. 

And of course, some ship cruises and becomes another 'plague' ship, there goes the industry.  

Agree, that is all it will take.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not surprised and something that was inevitable considering the where we are with the current pandemic. 

• Like 1

Not surprised and something that was inevitable considering the where we are with the current pandemic. 

• Like 1

Not surprised and something that was inevitable considering the status of the current pandemic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karena1 said:

Still don't agree with it.  With the suits filed against doctors from people that sue over anything, what doctor is going to sign this?  My husband is perfectly healthy and I think it stinks that he is being discriminated against because of his age.  

When a person needs minor surgery like cataract surgery, a doctor’s note is required. I don’t see how taking a cruise would be more of a risk than going under anesthesia. My complaint is not allowing passengers over 70 to get a refund instead of OBC due to this policy change. And I certainly don’t like transferring the credits to someone else. 

• Like 4

If I had a crystal ball I would guess when a vaccine is made available the 70+ requirement will disappear and suddenly the cruise lines will want us back, but if they don't treat me fairly with this upcoming November cruise, I will never step foot on a ship again and that is sad because I love cruising.  I retired in March and had a June and November cruise booked and might even have taken another one right away if this virus hadn't happened.

The June cruise has been cancelled and I was offered a full credit, but only time will tell what the outcome of the November cruise will be. 

1 hour ago, mek said:

Right now I don't think the majority of people objecting to this has anything to do with a vacation being worth more than someone's life.  It has to do with Royal not wanting to refund our money for a cruise impacted by the required doctor's release.  Just give us a refund and most would be satisfied, but this crap that Royal is going to be generous and let us transfer the FCC to someone else is just plain BS.

I AGREE !!!!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pthjudy said:

When a person needs minor surgery like cataract surgery, a doctor’s note is required. I don’t see how taking a cruise would be more of a risk than going under anesthesia. My complaint is not allowing passengers over 70 to get a refund instead of OBC due to this policy change. And I certainly don’t like transferring the credits to someone else. 

I wholeheartedly agree....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The person you quoted did not post the correct answer.  People 70 and over who cannot cruise because of the restrictions can transfer their FCC to someone who can use it. 

Sounds like age discrimination to me. If I can't use it but am under 70 why shouldn't I be able to transfer it? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We can all hope that a virus and cure will be available by end of 2020 and then we can all use our fcc's in 2021 as I think once the CLIA feels confident the virus is no longer a threat they will lift the requirement for the doctors note and other health restrictions for those under 70.    At least that is what I hope will happen.   

For now, I still hold out hope that we can do our b2b for the Baltic and Norwegian fjords this August.  

Stay positive and we will all get thru this.

I certainly hope you are correct. Whether or not my problems are solved positively I hope you are  able to complete your sailings in August and have a wonderful time. I  have heard the  Baltic cruise is the ultimate.

2 minutes ago, New Mexico 8 said:

I certainly hope you are correct. Whether or not my problems are solved positively I hope you are  able to complete your sailings in August and have a wonderful time. I  have heard the  Baltic cruise is the ultimate.

Thank you.  I sure hope as I have heard the same.  Stay Well!

On 4/8/2020 at 3:30 PM, molly361 said:

Rubber stamp ordered - Check

7 day to become a doctor online course signed up- Check

I'll be available to sign letters shortly for a small fee😇

image.jpeg.eef2008be3adb8ad2ef255b970661ef4.jpeg

Dr. Art Vandelay should be the doctor's name. 😉

• Haha 1