FCC for over 70 update

On 4/8/2020 at 4:45 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

The health policy also states that diabetics (any age) must provide a doctor's note.    My DH is a diabetic and always requests a sharps container to be in the room for proper disposal of his insulin needles.      Now, I can see a lot of diabetics that cannot get a note from DR will stop requesting the sharps containers so they won't know you are a diabetic.     Big trouble there.

This new rule that you can give your FCC to another person is definitely a sign, IMO, this Dr. note requirement isn't going away anytime soon and sad to say but that will force us to cancel 6 future cruises we have booked.    I am not about to loose all of the deposits we have made.    

Our children do not cruise and they don't have any interest in cruising so I have no idea who I would even pass my FCC's onto other than selling them on ebay as Biker19 said he could see happening.

I am not going to jump on cancelling any of these cruises just yet, but definitely not booking anymore no matter what specials they run.      

Let's hope they get a vaccine for this virus as that is the only hope I see for anyone with a medical condition or 70+ able to cruise again.

Stay Well Everyone!

I am quite worried about the rushing of a vaccine.  I am NOT an anti-vaxxer, but to just whip something up without proper testing may prove to be disastrous.  What will happen when not only do you have to show a doctor's note, but you also have to provide evidence you have been vaccinated against coronavirus?   I guess some, if not many, will not cruise. 

On 4/8/2020 at 10:32 PM, SeaHunt said:

So besides having fake doctor credentials on your paperwork, JMO there are going to be a bunch of health questionnaires that are going to be completed with a big NO under "any health conditions" even if they have one lol 😉

Exactly like what people do all the time now anyhow.  

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 4:45 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

The health policy also states that diabetics (any age) must provide a doctor's note. 

Guests of any age with underlying medical conditions will be denied boarding.  A Dr’s note won’t make a difference. 

b. Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

23 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That letter doesn't look very official. What's stopping anyone from signing it themselves with a made up name?

I agree. The letter doesn't look very official. I think it's just a letter they have printed up so that "someone" can sign it and Royal can scan it into a file somewhere so they can say they have a letter on file. I seriously doubt they really care if it was signed by a licensed physician or the Cookie Monster. 

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Guests of any age with underlying medical conditions will be denied boarding.  A Dr’s note won’t make a difference. 

b. Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

As to cancer, is that if you have EVER had cancer? If you are currently being treated for cancer?  If you are suspected to have cancer?  There are a lot of nuances to cancer- being in active treatment, being in remission, being treated to be sure it doesn't return.  What if said person got a mastectomy and all of their tests show the cancer has been removed from their body but they are being treated with hormone therapy- such as Tamoxifen or Arimidex?  I mean, they are still being treated to be sure cancer doesn't return. 

1 minute ago, legaljen1969 said:

As to cancer, is that if you have EVER had cancer? If you are currently being treated for cancer?  If you are suspected to have cancer?  There are a lot of nuances to cancer- being in active treatment, being in remission, being treated to be sure it doesn't return.  What if said person got a mastectomy and all of their tests show the cancer has been removed from their body but they are being treated with hormone therapy- such as Tamoxifen or Arimidex?  I mean, they are still being treated to be sure cancer doesn't return. 

Can’t answer that.  Would that fall under chronic?

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Can’t answer that.  Would that fall under chronic?

That's what I am not sure about. While this person has had all of the cancer removed from her body, she is taking Arimidex to prevent cancer from returning.  I think I will see if she can get this clarified at the next doctor's appointment. 

Just now, parrotfeathers said:

Okay I have a question sort of related to the 70 and over doctor's note.  It has been said by experts that in addition to age, obesity is one of the causes of complications and death.  Are they going to start weighing people too?

Cruise lines pretty much can do whatever the heck they want to deny you boarding and to keep your dang money.  I was on the verge of finally making Diamond. Oh well, I guess that dream is down the drain.  No reason to continue to book with a line that will never let me cruise again. 

9 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

I think the best thing to do is to go to the CDC website. It is the “source” of the underlying conditions references in just about any other communications. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/groups-at-higher-risk.html

12 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Okay I have a question sort of related to the 70 and over doctor's note.  It has been said by experts that in addition to age, obesity is one of the causes of complications and death.  Are they going to start weighing people too?

They should. 

Social pressure is a no joke right now in regards to this virus.  Many over 70's are just retiring and want to spend their time traveling and enjoying life.  To have that stripped away is truly heartbreaking.  I'm so sorry, I hope that once we learn more about this virus that life will go back what we were all accustomed to.  

• Like 1

We all have to consider the fact that these new restrictions were put into effect as this virus was taking hold.  Once the ships start sailing again, the restrictions are likely to stay in place for a while, but the cruise lines are not going to be able to survive until these restrictions are eased.  We all just have to wait and let things return back to whatever normal is going to be.  Some of us might have sailed on their last cruise ship for the near future or forever.  We are all just going to have to wait it out.  I just hope that if the restrictions are going to be in effect for an extended period of time, they will consider extending the expiration dates on FCC, otherwise, we will be among the many that will just have to kiss those funds goodbye.

2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

They should... you have total control over it.   😉

I am a Type 1 diabetic, and my husband, who is over 70, has COPD. These conditions will never go away, so FCC is usless to us. We have no children, so I could not "gift" my FCC to family members. I understand the reasoning of the policy (for now) but I cannot understand keeping my money. 

I know with CCL (Holland, Princess and Carnival), their cruise contract states that during embarkation, if a passenger fails to bring required documentation, not only will they be denied boarding, but no refund/FCC is due to customer. This includes changes made after final payment is made. Right now I have 3 RCI cruises booked for July and September, one on Holland in November, and Carnival in January. Every one was "special prices" so the cruise fare was paid in full. So if the "Fit to travel" rule stays in effect, basically I will lose everything except port fees and taxes. My only hope is that all these cruises get canceled. I am gonna develop ulcers worrying that I am going to lose all this money. I will give up cruising if I have to. (don't want to, but will). Just give me my money back.

FYI.. once you ask for a sharps container, it is noted on your record. When we cruised last January, with RCI, I did not request a sharps container, figuring I could just ask my cabin steward. Surprise, there was one in the room, and my steward said their records showed I needed one.