Noordam Transpacific Vancouver to Tokyo

Floridastorm

@Floridastorm  Thanks for reaching out to HAL. It is good to hear the cruise is still available.

@kazu  Very likely itinerary changes if the cruise goes. We could sale from Seattle. However if we are skipping Alaska, not sure of the other option of ports to change the itinerary. Maybe HAL will shorten the cruise or add an additional port in Japan. Also, not an option of sailing from San Fran as it has closed for 2020. Have you booked? We might still be there with you on the cruise. I am being optomistic. 😁

4 hours ago, PattiHawaii said:

@Floridastorm  Thanks for reaching out to HAL. It is good to hear the cruise is still available.

@kazu  Very likely itinerary changes if the cruise goes. We could sale from Seattle. However if we are skipping Alaska, not sure of the other option of ports to change the itinerary. Maybe HAL will shorten the cruise or add an additional port in Japan. Also, not an option of sailing from San Fran as it has closed for 2020. Have you booked? We might still be there with you on the cruise. I am being optomistic. 😁

The Noordam could just sail out of a west coast US port. Doesn't have to sail out of Vancouver. The only reason that cruises go out of Vancouver for Alaska is that under US maritime law they cannot sail from one American port to another American port without making a port call in a foreign country. They would have to be an American flag carrier to do that. Nearly all cruise lines are registered under foreign flags so that they are not faced with US taxes. I'm pretty sure that this transpacific cruise will be going in September. Hope to plan along with you over the next 3 or 4 months .

17 hours ago, PattiHawaii said:

Have you booked? We might still be there with you on the cruise. I am being optomistic. 😁

I had this cruise booked and was totally committed with private tours, meet and greet, etc.  We cancelled last month as I suspect it won’t go and more importantly, I don’t know if it will be safe to go in September.  (I did post on both roll calls to let everyone know we had cancelled). We had already been through the wondering, waiting and watching & finally cancelling once and once was enough 😞 

We’ll re-schedule it down the road when we know more covid 19 developments.

^+1 

Smart play to have cancelled.  I suspect that there are many people doing the booking/rebooking route over and over again in anticipation of a quick resolution.  Seems to me that the cruise lines are encouraging this with restrictive FCC offers in order to manage their cash flows.

A quick resolution is not in the cards at the moment.   If only we could wish it so by booking a cruise....but we can’t.   

Far better to keep your powder dry until the issue is resolved or you feel that it is safe.  Cannot imagine risking our health and well being  On a cruise because of good price, fear of increasing prices, or a time restrictive FCC.   Then book the itinerary, the price, the cruise line, the ship, and  the time of your choice.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, PattiHawaii said:

Sorry, just receved bad news from my TA. The cruise has been cancelled.  😭

So sorry for those of you left hoping to go, but honestly, I’m not the least bit surprised and have been hinting a few times it would happen.

Another time, another year for many of us. 😓🛳😥

I don't know who is telling the truth. HAL customer service told me yesterday that this cruise was still on and that they may use alternate methods if Vancouver is not available. They assured me the cruise was still scheduled. I have sent an email to customer service and may do a chat tomorrow. I would surely like to know which it is. My TA doesn't seem to be available.

@ Floridastorm keep us posted. TA sent me an email today stating my September cruise is cancelled and HAL advised him of the amount of my FCC. I still would be happy to go if it is still scheduled. I just spoke with my TA earlier this week and he still had not heard anything about cancellation. I doubt he would be mistaken... but all with all this, anyone could make a mistake.

11 hours ago, PattiHawaii said:

@ Floridastorm keep us posted. TA sent me an email today stating my September cruise is cancelled and HAL advised him of the amount of my FCC. I still would be happy to go if it is still scheduled. I just spoke with my TA earlier this week and he still had not heard anything about cancellation. I doubt he would be mistaken... but all with all this, anyone could make a mistake.

If this cruise is in fact cancelled then I will probably cancel my FCC and obtain a refund. Since I have no desire to do a Caribbean cruise which may be all that is left. What a mess the CDC has made of everything with their erroneous diagnoses.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

If this cruise is in fact cancelled then I will probably cancel my FCC and obtain a refund. Since I have no desire to do a Caribbean cruise which may be all that is left. What a mess the CDC has made of everything with their erroneous diagnoses.

More bs.  Please stick to the topic.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

It's called the first amendment in case you don't remember. Don't like it don't read it.

I thought the first amendment applied to public, not private, spaces.  This forum is privately owned, so you may not be able to invoke the first amendment here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

I thought the first amendment applied to public, not private, spaces.  This forum is privately owned, so you may not be able to invoke the first amendment here.

Well, if that is the case I will wait for Cruise Critic to tell me that I cannot state something on their forum. I hope that meets with your approval. 🤐

9 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

Well, if that is the case I will wait for Cruise Critic to tell me that I cannot state something on their forum. I hope that meets with your approval. 🤐

Keep in mind that some of your posts have been taken down because they are inappropriate...

• Like 4

I know that truth or difference of opinion is hard for some folks to swallow these days in the Land of the Free and the Brave. I have nothing more to say and am finished with Cruise Critic anyway. All of you have a nice day and the rest of 2020. Ba Bye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floridastorm said:

I know that truth or difference of opinion is hard for some folks to swallow these days in the Land of the Free and the Brave. I have nothing more to say and am finished with Cruise Critic anyway. All of you have a nice day and the rest of 2020. Ba Bye.

Thank you sir.  Now we can talk about Asia cruising.

As I understand it, there will be no HAL cruises in Asia this calendar year.  However, we often also cruise with Princess and that there are a lot of cruises around Japan between September and December, particularly with the Diamond and Majestic.  I am not sure if all the cruise ports in Japan will be open by then, though.

• 2 weeks later...

In checking on HAL website, this cruise is not cancelled and counting down the days. I called directly this morning and HAL is still saying it is an active cruise and not sure what letter my TA received. Did anyone else receive anything regarding cancellation? 

On 5/10/2020 at 4:10 PM, Floridastorm said:

I've felt your pain also FloridaStorm....and am going on cruisecritic less and less. It seems that if you have a "different" opinion than the standard CNN, MSNBC narrative, you are censored, labeled and are an outcast.  Funny how those that say they are tolerant are the least tolerant of different viewpoints (Just my opinion, I hope that is allowed).

I welcome and enjoy all viewpoints and a lively debate is healthy.  

Let Freedom Ring!  And it's ok to have a different opinion about the CDC and what a mess has been made of cruising....despite the flame throwers on here...but here they go...watch!

Stay positive and we all look forward to cruising again.......

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I've felt your pain also FloridaStorm....and am going on cruisecritic less and less. It seems that if you have a "different" opinion than the standard CNN, MSNBC narrative, you are censored, labeled and are an outcast.  Funny how those that say they are tolerant are the least tolerant of different viewpoints (Just my opinion, I hope that is allowed).

I welcome and enjoy all viewpoints and a lively debate is healthy.  

Let Freedom Ring!  And it's ok to have a different opinion about the CDC and what a mess has been made of cruising....despite the flame throwers on here...but here they go...watch!

Stay positive and we all look forward to cruising again.......

I find your comments about toleration right on the mark. Those who profess so much toleration are, more often than not, the least tolerant among us.

• Like 1