100 more days

18 minutes ago, rimmit said:

That is a possibility, but if the ships have a major health disaster and the US isn’t willing to help out with logistics, quarantine, medical supplies etc, who is bailing them out?  I just don’t see Mexico, Bahamas, Jamaica, etc having quite the resources here in the event they need assistance.  Basically the US is turning their back on cruiselines until Covid either has a vaccine or just miraculously disappears.

It isn’t just the US

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It isn’t just the US

Correct.  And rightfully so but we were discussing the CDC which is a US organization and then people were discussing how it would still be possible to sail out of a non US port.

I love cruising and have cancelled 6 cruises so far, but I have come to accept that cruises are sadly a danger to society at this time and as much as I hate to see them go away for a while, in order to save us from ourselves they need to take a break until a proven safety plan is in place for covid.

• Like 4

Even if cruising does start, lets say from PR, I would believe the quarantine issue would be real and possibly very prohibitive.  I would never take a 7 day or B2B 7 days to end in in a 14 day quarantine.  And, if I do it by choice, the quarantine would be at MY expense.  Way too many potential down sides right now till the dust settles.

• Like 2

I still don’t understand how people aren’t getting that there is no place to go land or sea. They are talking about closing NYC beaches for the summer. I’m sure Long Island will be next if that happens. We are just a train ride away and NYC residents vacation in the Hamptons and Fire Island. Big business from Memorial Day to Labor Day and beyond.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Promoting a narrative that children can fall through an open window in a "children's play area" (just spit balling here)

One of Walker's Competitors, Michael Winkleman, was the attorney for the family of thye step-grandfather who dropped his 18 month step-granddaughter out of a deck 11 window on Freedom of the Seas.  There is video of him holding her outside the window for 34 seconds until she probably squirmed (as toddlers do) and she fell.   The Grandfather said he though the window was closed.  There was a big thread about this on the RCCL page and many news articles -- google Winkleman or the poor kid's name - Chloe Wiegand.  Haven't heard much lately due to Coronavirus but I think the family is still suing RCCL.  

2 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

No offense to anyone, but can we try to keep this about when cruising will re-open?

Like COVID19, CC threads going off on a  tangent don't have a cure, just a slow natural death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Even if cruising does start, lets say from PR, I would believe the quarantine issue would be real and possibly very prohibitive.  I would never take a 7 day or B2B 7 days to end in in a 14 day quarantine.  And, if I do it by choice, the quarantine would be at MY expense.  Way too many potential down sides right now till the dust settles.

Same with Alaska - Alaska is requiring a 14-day self-quarantine.  I have a cruise tour booked in June that currently would require me to arrive in Alaska around June 8th for a June 22nd start.  Not feasible.

But cruising won't start in PR before it starts in FL, it's still a US port.  If one of the non-US Caribbean islands wants to allow cruises to leave from their ports, that would be on them - but I just don't see it happening.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree and the flights for me from NY where cheaper to San Juan than to Ft Lauderdale.  The cruises are cheaper only because you and I are part of the few who book. Many complain that there are too many locals boarding which I have never seen. I'm from NY there are more of everybodies locals here than there.

I totally agree.  We did many b2b out of San Juan on the Adventure of the Seas thanks to great advice from several members here on the boards for advice.  It was so much cheaper to fly from Phillie to San Juan then from Phillie to Ft Lauderdale or Miami. Miss those days...have been doing the 11 nighters on the Serenade...sure miss that ship...miss any ship right now...have several cruises starting in October and hope they happen...

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I still don’t understand how people aren’t getting that there is no place to go land or sea. They are talking about closing NYC beaches for the summer. I’m sure Long Island will be next if that happens. We are just a train ride away and NYC residents vacation in the Hamptons and Fire Island. Big business from Memorial Day to Labor Day and beyond.

It amazes me how many people don’t seem to understand how serious this virus is and how long lasting the impact is going to be on the way we live. I see so many comments from people saying something similar to cruising will be back sooner than you think.  It’s like they don’t know what is going on in the world today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It amazes me how many people don’t seem to understand how serious this virus is and how long lasting the impact is going to be on the way we live. I see so many comments from people saying something similar to cruising will be back sooner than you think.  It’s like they don’t know what is going on in the world today. 

Do you know how long? A number of states are already making plans to relieve some restrictions in the next few months. It will be a slow process but it will likely begin this summer unless there is another major flare-up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Now that Florida has massive layoffs (cruising and theme parks) maybe they will get the message. Florida is a month behind NY so it will take time to sink in. People here were still hopeful that the Sailings from Cape Liberty were going to happen in May. I still can't get a roll of paper towels or a can of Lysol so I don't know how they think cruising will open up overnight.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It's the five stages of grief.  Depending on when this started affecting you, you are gonna be somewhere different than others on the stages.

I had to cancel trip to do all the Asian Disneys back late Jan when this broke out and my flights to China were cancelled and HKDL and Shanghai DL closed, so I have had time to go from Denial and Anger all the way to acceptance now over the last 3 months. I was definitely in Denial for quite sometime as well.

Many are still in the Denial and Anger stage and have yet to get to Bargaining and Depression  It will take some longer than others to finally come to Acceptance. 

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Like COVID19, CC threads going off on a  tangent don't have a cure, just a slow natural death.

Maybe CC needs to implement the equivalent of social distancing for some threads.  Start a timer that enforces a 6 hour gap between all posts in a thread.  Those threads would die off quickly.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

While I agree "bad" is the most likely scenario, we don't 100% know where all this is going. Some people are going to be hopeful. 

4 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Last time I looked PR was a US territory and the CDC rules still apply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Pratique said:

Do you know how long? A number of states are already making plans to relieve some restrictions in the next few months. It will be a slow process but it will likely begin this summer unless there is another major flare-up.

Meanwhile, Carnival has already cancelled ALL sailings from NYC for the remainder of 2020.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

Meanwhile, Carnival has already cancelled ALL sailings from NYC for the remainder of 2020.

But not all of their sailings. There seems to be some tension between folks who are hoping to go cruising again eventually and folks who want the entire industry to shut down for a long, long time, if not forever. I don't know what to tell ya. Let's wait and see what happens?