Cruise Critic Community
bluesea321

CDC April 9 Order for Cruise Ships

Please see attached PDF Order from the CDC regarding the cruise ship situation around US ports (9 pages).  It provides a status of the 100+ ships around US ports and the medical conditions on board.  It bans cruising for 100 days unless rescinded by further order and orders the industry to provide a plan within 7 days to address the associated health risks.  If they don't comply cruise ships will have to depart all US controlled ports and waters.  Best if those interested read the document, I cannot do it justice, but here is a brief of Page 6.

"If unrestricted cruise ship passenger operations were permitted to resume, infected and exposed cruise ship cases would place healthcare workers at substantial increased risk. Specifically, these cases would divert medical resources away from persons with other medical problems and other COVID-19 cases, consuming precious diagnostics, therapeutics, and protective equipment. Ongoing concerns with cruise ship transmission would further draw valuable resources away from the immense Federal, State, and local effort to contain and mitigate the spread of COVID- 19. Further, the current ongoing non-passenger operation of cruise ships has not sufficiently abated the public health concern, as ship crew become sick and require medical care drawing on otherwise engaged Federal, State, and local resources. As operators of non-U.S. flagged vessels sailing in international waters, it is imperative that the cruise ship industry and cruise lines themselves take responsibility for the care of their crew and do not further tax limited U.S. resources during a public health emergency."

No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships.pdf

I just read this.  I’m sure there will be a whole new round of cancellations coming up very soon.  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

I just read this.  I’m sure there will be a whole new round of cancellations coming up very soon.  

Yes, I agree.  I can understand the need under our current circumstances but it seems like a monumental task for the industry.  Would not be surprised if many/most ships simply move away from US waters...  but where will the go ???

Let's face it - without a vaccine and/or a quick acting cure med, it's going to be social distancing and face masks for the foreseeable future. A vaccine is a minimum of one year away, probably longer. 

3 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Yes, I agree.  I can understand the need under our current circumstances but it seems like a monumental task for the industry.  Would not be surprised if many/most ships simply move away from US waters...  but where will the go ???

If they leave US waters, what will be required g

For them to resume sailing from US ports?

3 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

If they leave US waters, what will be required g

For them to resume sailing from US ports?

Please read the PDF, I cannot do it justice by summarizing.  It imposes strict requirements for the industry and orders them to come up with a plan.

7 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Please read the PDF, I cannot do it justice by summarizing.  It imposes strict requirements for the industry and orders them to come up with a plan.

Sorry ... will do.

Where did it state 100 days? I read it and couldn't find any reference to it.

It has always been my thought when entering our cabin on day one of the cruise as to how long has it been that the previous occupants left.  There is not enough time for the cabin, beds and bath to be cleaned properly. Now, perhaps the Cruise Lines will consider cleaning top to bottom with hot steamed antivirus sprays  by people in hazmat gear,  In the busiest of times, Holidays, when the cold and flu season is cranking up to it's worst, why not delay for a day, now and again and decontaminate the entire ship.  I sit hear now, having followed all of this, the Ships, the trvel and asked how many lives could have been saved by giving up one day for Peace of mind.  My recently deceased husband and I enjoyed cruising for many years.  Now as I look forward again to a time when I may consider soloing, I really will have to see evidence of serious intent on the part of the Cruise Lines that they will do much, much better. AKA newpage7

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Where did it state 100 days? I read it and couldn't find any reference to it.

On Page 1, first paragraph:

"This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of....  100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register."  But it can be rescinded.  I am not saying that it will, just that it can if the industry provides a plan suitable to the CDC (the US HSS).

3 minutes ago, dosperegrinos said:

It has always been my thought when entering our cabin on day one of the cruise as to how long has it been that the previous occupants left.  There is not enough time for the cabin, beds and bath to be cleaned properly. Now, perhaps the Cruise Lines will consider cleaning top to bottom with hot steamed antivirus sprays  by people in hazmat gear,  In the busiest of times, Holidays, when the cold and flu season is cranking up to it's worst, why not delay for a day, now and again and decontaminate the entire ship.  I sit hear now, having followed all of this, the Ships, the trvel and asked how many lives could have been saved by giving up one day for Peace of mind.  My recently deceased husband and I enjoyed cruising for many years.  Now as I look forward again to a time when I may consider soloing, I really will have to see evidence of serious intent on the part of the Cruise Lines that they will do much, much better. AKA newpage7

Why not Hotel, Movie Theatre's and classrooms, and anywhere people congregate?  I believe we will see more of these super bugs as has been predicted mostly caused by humans and the use of antibiotics for everything. We caused a lot of the problem with all the antibacterial stuff we insisted on using causing us to not build immunity to germs. 

5 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

On Page 1, first paragraph:

"This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of....  100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register."  But it can be rescinded.  I am not saying that it will, just that it can if the industry provides a plan suitable to the CDC (the US HSS).

I see it now. Dang I read the whole thing and went back and still missed it. Must be another senior moment, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I see it now. Dang I read the whole thing and went back and still missed it. Must be another senior moment, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

No a problem, my pleasure.  I am going to read it again myself but not until tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Why not Hotel, Movie Theatre's and classrooms, and anywhere people congregate?  I believe we will see more of these super bugs as has been predicted mostly caused by humans and the use of antibiotics for everything. We caused a lot of the problem with all the antibacterial stuff we insisted on using causing us to not build immunity to germs. 

In Australia these have already been shut down, weeks ago, for the forseeable future.

CDC doesnt even take into account all the cruise ship deaths from Covid experienced in Australian waters either. 15 just from Ruby alone.

6 minutes ago, Pushka said:

In Australia these have already been shut down, weeks ago, for the forseeable future.

CDC doesnt even take into account all the cruise ship deaths from Covid experienced in Australian waters either. 15 just from Ruby alone.

I wasn't referring to shutting down, we too are shut down here in the states I was referencing the posters wanting.............

" cleaning top to bottom with hot steamed antivirus sprays  by people in hazmat gear,  In the busiest of times, Holidays, when the cold and flu season is cranking up to it's worst, why not delay for a day, now and again and decontaminate the entire ship."

15 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The first two paragraphs on page 5 of the order list and explain the CDC's findings.

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

how about to their flag countries?

37 minutes ago, dosperegrinos said:

Most cruisers seem anal in wanting access to their cabins ASAP. Wanting to board as early as possible etc etc. I wonder how flexible and accommodating these people will be in the future if the cruise lines take more time to clean and disinfect.

2 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Most cruisers seem anal in wanting access to their cabins ASAP. Wanting to board as early as possible etc etc. I wonder how flexible and accommodating these people will be in the future if the cruise lines take more time to clean and disinfect.

I really think they have to move to a schedule that leaves a day for cleaning before bringing on new passengers.  While they will lose income, it would make for a better experience for those disembarking and allow those embarking to enjoy the day they paid for.  Those new disinfecting floggers are wonderful, but it takes time for everything to settle and as I learned last week, all glass must be wiped down to remove the residue.  They still face the problem we face everywhere which is dealing with people who continue to travel when they are ill.  This virus is so frightening because people are infecting others before they know they are ill. 

20 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Personally, I love getting on board as early as possible.  I'm usually at the port by 10:30 am.  However, if they need to take special care in cleaning the ship and it means it delays us from getting on board an extra hour or two, I'm OK with it.  They can just make sure that no boarding passengers are allowed to the port until a specific time.  Right now, for the most part, it's pretty "open" for people to get there whenever...

53 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Largely because hotel, movie theaters and class room  are not sitting in ports and off shore, and periodically putting ill crew men on shore for medical treatment.

The requirements in this are pretty simple.  All it is basically doing is to tell the cruise lines that they must develop a plan, approved by CDC for how they are going to take care of the people (primarily crew) using their resources, at their expense, for all of the ships in US waters.  That the plan must not impact shore based medical facilities or cause any expense to local governments.

Also that this over rides any local requirements or agreements that exist concerning the situation and that the cruise lines must track and accurately report to the CDC all cases of illness.

It pretty much sounds like the CDC is fed up with the cruise lines not using their own resources to manage the problem and counting on the US to treat sick crew members. 

Note the designate one ship as a hospital if needed. From that it sounds like the CDC does not like that they are leaving sick crew members on board ship with healthy crew members, while not providing them with information about the number of ill crew members.  Basically the number of ill crew members will become public information.

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

Please see attached PDF Order from the CDC regarding the cruise ship situation around US ports (9 pages).  It provides a status of the 100+ ships around US ports and the medical conditions on board.  It bans cruising for 100 days unless rescinded by further order and orders the industry to provide a plan within 7 days to address the associated health risks.  If they don't comply cruise ships will have to depart all US controlled ports and waters.  Best if those interested read the document, I cannot do it justice, but here is a brief of Page 6.

"If unrestricted cruise ship passenger operations were permitted to resume, infected and exposed cruise ship cases would place healthcare workers at substantial increased risk. Specifically, these cases would divert medical resources away from persons with other medical problems and other COVID-19 cases, consuming precious diagnostics, therapeutics, and protective equipment. Ongoing concerns with cruise ship transmission would further draw valuable resources away from the immense Federal, State, and local effort to contain and mitigate the spread of COVID- 19. Further, the current ongoing non-passenger operation of cruise ships has not sufficiently abated the public health concern, as ship crew become sick and require medical care drawing on otherwise engaged Federal, State, and local resources. As operators of non-U.S. flagged vessels sailing in international waters, it is imperative that the cruise ship industry and cruise lines themselves take responsibility for the care of their crew and do not further tax limited U.S. resources during a public health emergency."

No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships.pdf 107.47 kB · 64 downloads

I don't read this as an out right ban.  What it does say is the HHS/CDC must approve all operations.  They could also coordinate with HHS and get approval even for a cruise (though that is unlikely).

What it does ban is any operations without approval of HHS.

A good idea for the future.... end turn around day... it stays over night, no passengers

then it gives the crew time to clean, restock and possibly a good nights sleep...

before re boarding.... yes it would end 2b2 and short cruises under 7 nights....

Just a thought Don