No Sail Order extended - 100 days

Pushka

Thanks to a poster bluesea321 on Princess thread. 

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html

And the CDC concerns dont even take into account the 15 deaths on Ruby Princess, and multiple others that have occured on RCL, Celebrity and other brand Australian cruises.

Edited by Pushka

15 minutes ago, RickT said:

If you read the bulletin, 100 days is the worst case scenario.  Ultimately, no one knows when cruise ships will be allowed to sail U.S. waters again.

I did read the bulletin. I'd suggest such orders are rarely rescinded.  This pandemic has a long way to go yet. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, RickT said:

If you read the bulletin, 100 days is the worst case scenario.  Ultimately, no one knows when cruise ships will be allowed to sail U.S. waters again.

This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of three situations. First, the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency.  Second, the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations.  Or third, 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickT said:

And it's not the worst case scenario - the worst is that it is extended further - perhaps until sometime next year

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The CDC is for US waters, I wonder if the cruise companies will follow it for other areas such as the Mediterranean etc. Other countries may also impose a ban or extend their ‘ban’ on cruise ships. The 100 days takes us to July, and as proposed above, it could even be longer. Due to the three measures, I cannot see the cruise companies extending their cancellations for the 100 days (though most people would consider this to be sensible) but continue to have a moveable date released every few weeks. 

• Like 1

I think we all know regardless of this notification that no one is cruising by July anyway, we are a million miles away from seeing this completely turn around. While none of us know the exact dates surely autumn will be nearer to a best case scenario and even then that we cruising on a limited basis given Carnival have already cancelled some sailings through November.

• Like 9

Interestingly on the Princess board it says - 

One other note apparently this was published in the Federal Register on 3/24.  So that is the start of the 100 day period.

Yorky - I totally agree.

Edited by downsmead

2 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Interestingly on the Princess board it says - 

One other note apparently this was published in the Federal Register on 3/24.  So that is the start of the 100 day period.

It renews the one dated 14th March and is signed 9th April. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

The CDC is for US waters, I wonder if the cruise companies will follow it for other areas such as the Mediterranean etc.

But, they need to leave the US waters to get to the Med/ Southampton.

So, it looks as though our cruise 1/08/20 from Southampton is a No,No.

I wasn’t thinking we could go anyway as we are over 70 and Celebrity require a Drs note.I won’t get one, as I have had a letter from the Drs advising I need to ‘Social Shield’ as I have multiple long term conditions.

I am just waiting for Celebrity to cancel and am hoping in that way I will get my deposit back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, downsmead said:

I agree but not all X ships are in US waters. I don’t think for a moment that they would ‘skirt’ around this though. There is a post on here detailing where the ships are laid up.

Edge is in USA. Bye July 27th. Now just do the right thing and cancel it celebrity. 

26 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

But, they need to leave the US waters to get to the Med/ Southampton.

So, it looks as though our cruise 1/08/20 from Southampton is a No,No.

There is nothing in the order, or in international law, that precludes a cruise ship from leaving US waters.  The order does preclude embarking passengers in the US, but it does not preclude a non-passenger cruise leaving from a US port to a foreign port.  Note that the definition of "operations" includes the term "making port" (entering), but not "leaving port".

Reading the updated order from the CDC, it appears, to me at least, to be issued in order to stop sailings until the newly required action plans can be submitted and vetted.  The order can be changed or rescinded at any time by the CDC, as it states, and I believe with the acceptance of action plans, it will be.  When this will happen is uncertain, but may or may not last the full 100 days.  It is also interesting to note that the order is described specifically as not a rule, but as an emergency action, so I don't foresee the required action plan, or most of its requirements, to continue after the present health emergency ends.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

2 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

But is it likely that Celebrity won't cancel more than a month out, so you would have to make final payment to not lose a non refundable deposit?

This is my conundrum for our Alaska August Solstice cruise....how ironic that my cruise to celebrate my retirement (35 years) from the Department of Health would be cancelled due to a public health emergency. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Angela

Edited by eyecantwait
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

That brings it to July 19th. I'm now looking at a cruise out of Amsterdam September 4th 2021. 

The CDC no sail order has no jurisdiction over a cruise leaving a port other than a US port, unless your cruise is ending in the US.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The CDC no sail order has no jurisdiction over a cruise leaving a port other than a US port, unless your cruise is ending in the US.

True, but the US CDC carries a lot of weight.  CLIA will make the next move.  Last time they followed the CDC, and likely will again.

From the CLIA announcement March 13 "“We do not take this decision lightly, and we want the traveling public to know in no uncertain terms the commitment of this industry to putting people first,” said Adam Goldstein, CLIA Global Chairman. “During this time, we will continue to work with the CDC and others to prepare for resumption of sailings when it is appropriate. "

Edited by newcruiserdave
added quote

I was trying to determine when this updated notice would be published in the Federal Register (starting the 100 days), but it looks like CDC has already requested that it be withdrawn from publication:

Editorial Note: The agency has requested this document be withdrawn from publication after placement on public inspection. The document will remain on file through close of business on April 13, 2020. A copy of the agency's withdrawal letter is available for inspection at the Office of the Federal Register.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/10/2020-07677/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

This might mean CDC is further revising it.  

• Thanks 1

Until the CDC puts the same restrictions on airlines which IMO are far worse than the Cruise industry I will not put a lot of weight on what they say. But that would be inconvenient so they will never do it. Sorry venting, a little but it is so ridiculous how they are singling out the cruise lines. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1