When Will River Cruise Lines Resume Service? [out of date]

Host Jazzbeau

steamboats has referred to the modified plans of Viva Cruises on another thread. I have had a look and it seems the first cruise is 7 June for a cruise on the Rhine. Otherwise, press releases mention "beginning of June".

notamermaid

53 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have updated the list at the top of this thread per the updated Cruise Critic article [5-11-20] at https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206/

Changes:

•  Avalon: now August 1 [thanks to @copyace]

Avalon website (retrieved May 11th, 2000 hrs Central European Summer time) says thy are suspending operations until August 31st (look https://www.avalonwaterways.com/avalon-assurance/ )

Per the Tauck website today: “Due to continued uncertainty about our ability to deliver the level of experience you expect from Tauck, and consistent with the latest guidance from the U.S. State Department, we’ve decided to cancel all land tours and cruises with departure dates through July 15, 2020.” https://www.tauck.com/travel-policy-update

We’re supposed to depart late August on the Rhine and Moselle. Looking less and less likely. 

On 5/11/2020 at 8:42 PM, Frncie said:

Per the Tauck website today: “Due to continued uncertainty about our ability to deliver the level of experience you expect from Tauck, and consistent with the latest guidance from the U.S. State Department, we’ve decided to cancel all land tours and cruises with departure dates through July 15, 2020.” https://www.tauck.com/travel-policy-update

We’re supposed to depart late August on the Rhine and Moselle. Looking less and less likely. 

My travel agent said she was told Tauck is doing the cancellations in semi-monthly batches to handle the volume, and that cruises through July 31 would be cancelled this week.  We shall see.

I have updated the list at the top of this thread per the updated Cruise Critic article [5-22-20] at https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206/

Changes:

•  American Cruise Lines: now June 20 [with definite plan, per separate CC article]

•  American Queen Steamboat Company: now June 29 [with definite plan, per separate CC article]

•  Nicko:  now June 1 for Germany-only cruises; June 14 for the rest of Europe

•  The Majestic Company: removed from list because not a river cruise line

•  Vantage:  now July 12

•  VIVA:  now June 17

Thanks for the updates.  We are currently booked with Uniworld's Grand France tour departing mid August (rescheduled from our canceled March cruise), but I'm very skeptical that even that trip will happen with all the current travel restrictions.  

23 minutes ago, Babcia7 said:

Thanks for the updates.  We are currently booked with Uniworld's Grand France tour departing mid August (rescheduled from our canceled March cruise), but I'm very skeptical that even that trip will happen with all the current travel restrictions.  

I just read a terrific article by Sue Bryant in Town & Country magazine [posted by @TLCOhio]:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/travel-guide/a32453169/when-will-cruise-ship-travel-resume-after-coronavirus/

She includes quotes from several river cruise companies, and makes the point that Europe is opening to travel in waves that start with a 'bubble' of neighboring countries, then goes to all-Europe, and finally adds other continents.  So there are two issues here:  will your cruise go?  but also will you [from the US] be allowed on it?

10 hours ago, Babcia7 said:

Thanks for sharing this interesting article.  Still doesn't look like river cruising in Europe will be an option this summer, or maybe fall or winter...

Quite a few routes will be possible, but I am afraid only for those already in Europe. Jazzbeau is right about the bubbles, the Baltic States are doing it among themselves. There will be early tourist corridors in June with more following in July and then quickly opening all of Schengen and beyond. Apart from the UK who want to hide on their island and let noone in, i.e. the 14 day quarantine. It will get quite complicated and the EU is planning an information website on what is allowed where and who can travel where. One thing that is not clear to me is onward flights. If you arrive from the US in a country that is open to you, will they allow you into another country that actually not allows direct travellers from the US?

As regards direct travelling to the EU from non-European countries for river cruising - yes, that is not happening soon.

notamermaid

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

One thing that is not clear to me is onward flights. If you arrive from the US in a country that is open to you, will they allow you into another country that actually not allows direct travellers from the US?

As regards direct travelling to the EU from non-European countries for river cruising - yes, that is not happening soon.

notamermaid

notamermaid - I am very thankful for your thoughts & insights...  The flights to/from the EU are what I am watching.    I continue to think positively that things will have opened up by the time we are scheduled to fly out (Sept 30th).   Our flights route through Frankfurt - on Air Canada & Lufthansa - and I received an e-mail last week stating that flights to/from Toronto would be starting again in June.  Not looking forward to the extended wearing of masks - but, if that is what is required, I will do so. 

Fran

Fran,

As regards your e-mail and the flights from Toronto - that makes sense. I had actually forgotten that one can come to the EU if the ban is lifted as planned on 15 June, the expiry date unless it is extended - to those states who do not have quarantine or entrance restrictions and restrictions on social distancing in that country. The problem is getting back, so if Canada is open to that you can have a holiday in Germany, Austria, Greece I think and err - now I am lost. Grin. It is difficult to get my head round my own travel plans. Something I did not know: Ireland has never had the restrictions in place. This is the official EU document: https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response/travel-and-transportation-during-coronavirus-pandemic/travel-and-eu-during-pandemic_en 

So, if this expires on 15 June all European river cruisers need to check their own country and the country they are travelling to more closely. The UK as we know from the news will not allow anyone in without quaranting, good job the country has no large rivers to cruise on. 😉 Canal boat trips will have to wait.

notamermaid

Fran,

As regards your e-mail and the flights from Toronto - that makes sense. I had actually forgotten that one can come to the EU if the ban is lifted as planned on 15 June, the expiry date unless it is extended - to those states who do not have quarantine or entrance restrictions and restrictions on social distancing in that country. The problem is getting back, so if Canada is open to that you can have a holiday in Germany, Austria, Greece I think and err - now I am lost. Grin. It is difficult to get my head round my own travel plans. Something I did not know: Ireland has never had the restrictions in place. This is the official EU document: https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response/travel-and-transportation-during-coronavirus-pandemic/travel-and-eu-during-pandemic_en 

So, if this expires on 15 June all European river cruisers need to check their own country and the country they are travelling to more closely. The UK as we know from the news will not allow anyone in without quaranting, good job the country has no large rivers to cruise on. [emoji6] Canal boat trips will have to wait.

notamermaid

As far as I know, a Canadian returning from Europe has to arrive at one of 4 international airports, and they have to have a safe and secure plan to get home and quarantine for 14 days. They are not allowed to use public transportation, to get home from the airport.

I don’t know what happens if you need a connecting flight, but it seems to go against the rules because you would be exposing others if you were infected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

As far as I know, a Canadian returning from Europe has to arrive at one of 4 international airports, and they have to have a safe and secure plan to get home and quarantine for 14 days. They are not allowed to use public transportation, to get home from the airport.

I don’t know what happens if you need a connecting flight, but it seems to go against the rules because you would be exposing others if you were infected.

That is my understanding as well.  We are lucky that we live within easy driving distance of the airport - and, are retired - so the 14 day self-isolation - while annoying - is manageable. Our friends are also from the area - so they can also self-isolate.  The issue may be the 3rd couple - as they are from the East Coast. Not sure how that would work for them - as even crossing the provincial borders results in a 14 day quarantine at  this time.  Hopefully things will settle over the summer.

Fran 

14 hours ago, gnome12 said:

As I suspected - Canada's current restrictions are not favourable for travelling. I hope the country feels confident enough in a few weeks time to ease that. Will see how the situation goes here in Europe, but it would be nice if Canada could consider a travel bubble, seeing that Germany and Austria are looking to be in control. That would for you open up river cruising on the Rhine from Emmerich upstream to Kehl (and could include the Netherlands if the hub Amsterdam is open), most of the Moselle, the Elbe, the Main and the Danube all the way downstream past Vienna to the Slovakian border (not sure how far they will go as regards tourism). I hope the companies will not wait for the US to open up, it would be sad for the UK and Canadian customers.

Will it be viable to run a cruise in July, if the UK is still closed as well as the US? Even when Europe opens up, North-American companies sailing the rivers is not yet a given. I know some have suspended operations well into the Summer, but not all.

As the UK is also applying the quarantine to land borders, operations for a UK based company like Riviera could be tricky. The quarantine restrictions start on 8 June and will run for three weeks, but could be extended.

Looks like Ze Germans will have the German and European rivers largely by themselves in June. :classic_sad: To which I cannot say hooray.

notamermaid

9 hours ago, notamermaid said:

As I suspected - Canada's current restrictions are not favourable for travelling. I hope the country feels confident enough in a few weeks time to ease that. Will see how the situation goes here in Europe, but it would be nice if Canada could consider a travel bubble, seeing that Germany and Austria are looking to be in control. That would for you open up river cruising on the Rhine from Emmerich upstream to Kehl (and could include the Netherlands if the hub Amsterdam is open), most of the Moselle, the Elbe, the Main and the Danube all the way downstream past Vienna to the Slovakian border (not sure how far they will go as regards tourism). I hope the companies will not wait for the US to open up, it would be sad for the UK and Canadian customers.

notamermaid

Well, if yesterday was an indication of how people will react to a loosening of restrictions, we are in big trouble here in Ontario.  Parks were opened to allow people  the opportunity to get out and enjoy the sunshine.  But, in one park in Toronto, the picture looked more like a crowd from a rock concert...  No social distancing - and I understand lots of poor behaviour (ie: drinking, and using surrounding properties as urinals...) Our Covid numbers have been going up over the past few days - and, with behaviour such as that which we witnessed yesterday - I wouldn't be surprised if our Premier tightened things back up. 

I hadn't thought about the issues of *where* in Europe the rivers/borders might be opening up...  We are actually scheduled to cruise from Bucharest to Budapest - and then have plans to fly to Krakow for a few days before coming home. So, although some of the borders might be open - perhaps not all areas where we want to go will be accessible!!

Fran

Well, if yesterday was an indication of how people will react to a loosening of restrictions, we are in big trouble here in Ontario.  Parks were opened to allow people  the opportunity to get out and enjoy the sunshine.  But, in one park in Toronto, the picture looked more like a crowd from a rock concert...  No social distancing - and I understand lots of poor behaviour (ie: drinking, and using surrounding properties as urinals...) Our Covid numbers have been going up over the past few days - and, with behaviour such as that which we witnessed yesterday - I wouldn't be surprised if our Premier tightened things back up. 

I hadn't thought about the issues of *where* in Europe the rivers/borders might be opening up...  We are actually scheduled to cruise from Bucharest to Budapest - and then have plans to fly to Krakow for a few days before coming home. So, although some of the borders might be open - perhaps not all areas where we want to go will be accessible!!

Fran

If we in Ontario don’t improve things (and I know that park well; it is not too far from my house) borders opening in Europe will be irrelevant as the Europeans will decide that they don’t want any North or South Americans.

I have seen the same thing out here in Arizona with the lack of social distancing.  Very few people wearing masks.  People act like the pandemic is over just because they opened up a few things. 

Jim

I read an op-ed recently that compared the current situation to Prohibition.  That was before my time, but I remember the imposition of the 55-mph speed limit to save gas during the Arab oil embargo.  Both situations were seen by the population as governmental overreach, and both led to a breakdown of the previous attitudes of trust in government and willingness to obey.  The author of the op-ed suggested [and I agree] that in the current situation the draconian rules – justified by 'science' that was later withdrawn or questioned – have led people to decide that 'nobody knows anything' and therefore we might as well enjoy today because who knows about tomorrow...  So, I have a land trip to Portugal and Spain in late September; if they will let us in, we plan to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few weeks ago was Mother's Day here in Canada. Many visits took place that pushed the limits, including the family of a provincial premier.  And wouldn't you know it, there was a surge in c19 cases in the weeks after.  We are nowhere near the end of this pandemic if people cannot social distance.

I understand the Czech Republic just opened everything this evening, so we will see over the next 2 weeks how that pans out.

As for river cruising, if  all the plans  the cruise companies are put into place, I don't think it will be a pleasant vacation at all.

RB

On 5/24/2020 at 6:06 PM, gnome12 said:

If we in Ontario don’t improve things (and I know that park well; it is not too far from my house) borders opening in Europe will be irrelevant as the Europeans will decide that they don’t want any North or South Americans.

I have wondered the same thing - especially due to the fact that here in the US we have more Covid 19 cases than anyone/anywhere. Will some European borders be closed to US/North American visitors?

I have updated the list at the top of this thread per the updated Cruise Critic article [5-27-20] at https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206/

Changes:

•  American Queen Steamboat Company: now July 6

•  A-ROSA:  now June 15

•  Victory Cruise Lines:  now 2021

A-ROSA: that is interesting, hopes crushed for a return around Whitsuntide. I can only find a notice on their website including sailings up to 4 June being cancelled, though.

This by the way is what nicko cruises say: "due to the travel bans existing, nicko cruises cancels all trips on the Danube as well as in Portugal, France, Croatia, Russia and Asia with departure up to and including June 14, 2020. Cruises within Germany, e.g. Cruises between Potsdam and Stralsund or from / to Cologne are still planned from the beginning of June - provided that the political decisions and official instructions permit this at this time."

See: https://www.nicko-cruises.de/en/

notamermaid