layoff with carnival insurance

rob6465

My sister in-law and her husband have a cruise booked for 10/17/20 and she purchased carnival's vacation insurance.. She was just furloughed from her job. What are her options? Can she get a full refund? She wants to cancel.

1 hour ago, rob6465 said:

My sister in-law and her husband have a cruise booked for 10/17/20 and she purchased carnival's vacation insurance.. She was just furloughed from her job. What are her options? Can she get a full refund? She wants to cancel.

Carnival’s Insurance includes cancel for any reason with a 75% of cruise fare as a future cruise credit. She is well before final payment though so should be able to cancel with a full refund except the deposit depending on how she booked. Early Saver deposits are non refundable but others are fully refundable. I think the fee for the insurance might non refundable but not sure when it is this far out from the cruise. 

Edited to add it can take up to 90 days to receive any refunds. 

Edited by LaRue1975

11 hours ago, rob6465 said:

Option 1) They are before final payment. They can cancel now and get a full cash refund of all monies paid. Except for the insurance premium.

Option 2) Carnival's Protection Plan considers "Job Related" as a covered reason. However, I can't find anywhere where "Job Related" is defined. Is "I got furloughed" Job Related? I don't know and opinions don't matter. Only facts. If "Job Related" the cancellation would be 100% cash refund. Except for the insurance premium.

Option 3) Carnivals Protection Plan includes a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider. Which is just that. You can cancel up to the time of scheduled departure for any reason and Carnival will issue you a Future Cruise Credit of 75%.

My Opinion piece

Your friend knows she's been furloughed and wants to cancel. She should cancel now.

The possibility exists that should she choose to wait until later when there is more money at risk, I have heard that the insurance company could deny the claim based on the customers delay in making a decision thus costs the insurance company to lose more money. I believe the terms used would be that the insured did not do more the mitigate the loss.

I use Travel Guard and it has a provision covers if you lose your income so check to see if Carnival insurance has this provision.  In any case without the insurance for most cruises months away you get most of your money back- maybe all depending on the type of booking. Good luck! 

On 4/11/2020 at 9:50 AM, klfrodo said:

Option 1) They are before final payment. They can cancel now and get a full cash refund of all monies paid. Except for the insurance premium.

Option 2) Carnival's Protection Plan considers "Job Related" as a covered reason. However, I can't find anywhere where "Job Related" is defined. Is "I got furloughed" Job Related? I don't know and opinions don't matter. Only facts. If "Job Related" the cancellation would be 100% cash refund. Except for the insurance premium.

Option 3) Carnivals Protection Plan includes a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider. Which is just that. You can cancel up to the time of scheduled departure for any reason and Carnival will issue you a Future Cruise Credit of 75%.

My Opinion piece

Your friend knows she's been furloughed and wants to cancel. She should cancel now.

The possibility exists that should she choose to wait until later when there is more money at risk, I have heard that the insurance company could deny the claim based on the customers delay in making a decision thus costs the insurance company to lose more money. I believe the terms used would be that the insured did not do more the mitigate the loss.

Should she go to bookings and cancel bookings or try to call which might be very busy.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:50 AM, klfrodo said:

See #2 

image.thumb.png.f766c3c8ca241acaf4ecb268d26432ea.png