Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
UrbanGirlie

FCC Nightmare! Anyone success??

Recommended Posts

Hello Future Cruisers -

 

Successfully cancelled our cruise that was supposed to be en route (4/5-4/11) on 3/9.  Received my family's 5 FCC's on 3/17 totaling $10,942.  This amount was PIF to Royal in January.  (Side note that i received our taxes back in two separate transactions weeks apart after two or three phone calls to Royal.)

I decided to find and book/use the credits yesterday, researching cruises for next July 2021.  Called the number in the email 'How to redeem your FCC" (1-800-256-6649) listened to all the prompts, and after 1.5 hours on hold finally got through to someone who asked for my 'booking number'.  I proceed to give him our old number from the cancelled cruise, at which point he got very snippy with me and said no, no, the NEW booking number?!?  I was like, I'm calling to book a new cruise, I have it all picked out down to the staterooms we'd like!  He then then told me 'wrong department - hold' and transferred me to a booking agent where I had to then book the new cruise with all the info (guests, dining times etc.) and then he told me he could put a courtesy hold on it?! *****?  I said, you have almost $11K in my unused money and you  want me to pay you more $?

So he said I then had to (this is funny) call the number in me email with directions how to APPLY the FCC to my new reservation!  SO here I am.  Ive called 2-3 times, nobody knows what to do, how to apply this credit, etc. all while my new booking is ticking away at being cancelled because I haven't paid!  I'm so frustrated!  If I din't have these credits I would absolutely NEVER book with this company again but here I am.

I realize these are crazy times, I am aware they are 'working from home', and I'm trying to remain patient but this is the most agonizing process I have ever been through to book a lousy cruise I may never get to take in the first place.

Any insights/numbers/experiences you can share would be helpful and appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, UrbanGirlie said:

Hello Future Cruisers -

 

Successfully cancelled our cruise that was supposed to be en route (4/5-4/11) on 3/9.  Received my family's 5 FCC's on 3/17 totaling $10,942.  This amount was PIF to Royal in January.  (Side note that i received our taxes back in two separate transactions weeks apart after two or three phone calls to Royal.)

I decided to find and book/use the credits yesterday, researching cruises for next July 2021.  Called the number in the email 'How to redeem your FCC" (1-800-256-6649) listened to all the prompts, and after 1.5 hours on hold finally got through to someone who asked for my 'booking number'.  I proceed to give him our old number from the cancelled cruise, at which point he got very snippy with me and said no, no, the NEW booking number?!?  I was like, I'm calling to book a new cruise, I have it all picked out down to the staterooms we'd like!  He then then told me 'wrong department - hold' and transferred me to a booking agent where I had to then book the new cruise with all the info (guests, dining times etc.) and then he told me he could put a courtesy hold on it?! *****?  I said, you have almost $11K in my unused money and you  want me to pay you more $?

So he said I then had to (this is funny) call the number in me email with directions how to APPLY the FCC to my new reservation!  SO here I am.  Ive called 2-3 times, nobody knows what to do, how to apply this credit, etc. all while my new booking is ticking away at being cancelled because I haven't paid!  I'm so frustrated!  If I din't have these credits I would absolutely NEVER book with this company again but here I am.

I realize these are crazy times, I am aware they are 'working from home', and I'm trying to remain patient but this is the most agonizing process I have ever been through to book a lousy cruise I may never get to take in the first place.

Any insights/numbers/experiences you can share would be helpful and appreciated. 

Wow, sorry your experience was so different than mine.  I called the same number today and was on hold less than 15 minutes and they answered all my questions.

 

I do agree that they need  to make it clearer that you need to book a cruise before calling to apply the FCC.  BTW, you can book a cruise right now and not pay a deposit.  When you apply the FCC then you need to pay the taxes and fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

BTW, you can book a cruise right now and not pay a deposit. 

how so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, allisonb22 said:

how so?

Royal is allowing you to book a cruise and the deposit is not due until May 31.  This is to allow for the FCC to be processed so that you can apply it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal is allowing you to book a cruise and the deposit is not due until May 31.  This is to allow for the FCC to be processed so that you can apply it.

May 31 2020? It seems unreal to ask someone who is PIF $11K for an additional deposit. Criminal even.

 

Ive decided to wait until 90 days out until I book and use any cruise credits.  I wont need to pay an additional deposit, rather any balance if I decide to upgrade. 

They are also making it very difficult for folks to use credits now anyway given the FCC amounts are split evenly and the 'current offers' are for buy one get passenger 2nd 60% off.  Leaves you with a huge balance on the second/third cruiser that cant be used unless you book two (or three) cruises.  Shame on RC. shame shame. SMH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received my FCC April 10, 2020 from a canceled March 15, 2020 sailing.

 

The March 15 sailing was moved to July 4, 2020. Another deposit paid and also told I had to pay for the balance of the July 4 cruise (90 day rule) by April 5th, 2020 and then apply my FCC when I received it both from RCL and travel agent.

 

I read in my RCL FCC email that my FCC CAN NOT be applied to a cruise paid in full..which was done 6 days ago....or I would have my reservation canceled!

 

Called travel agent, I called RCL. Both declined to apply FCC to the July 4, 2020 paid in full cruise.

 

I now have a paid in full rescheduled "new" cruise for July 4, 2020 and an FCC from the canceled March 15, 2020 cruise which expires 12/2021.

 

To top it off, if the July 4, 2020 cruise is canceled due to the new CDC 100 day rule and FCC is issued for the July 4, 2020 cruise, I will have 2 FCC certificates that CAN NOT be applied to just one new future cruise.

 

Multiple FCC for the same person are required to be used separately on 2 DIFFERENT cruises.

 

If I request refund for the March 15, 2020 cruise I lose the $1000 rooms deposit.

 

Can’t really get ahead…..or break even.

 

Cruiser beware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UrbanGirlie said:

May 31 2020? It seems unreal to ask someone who is PIF $11K for an additional deposit. Criminal even.

 

Ive decided to wait until 90 days out until I book and use any cruise credits.  I wont need to pay an additional deposit, rather any balance if I decide to upgrade. 

They are also making it very difficult for folks to use credits now anyway given the FCC amounts are split evenly and the 'current offers' are for buy one get passenger 2nd 60% off.  Leaves you with a huge balance on the second/third cruiser that cant be used unless you book two (or three) cruises.  Shame on RC. shame shame. SMH

FYI, once you book you will still have to pay the port fees and taxes no matter the amount on your FCC.  Port fees and taxes would have been refunded from your previous cruise

 

I've posted this in another thread but I guess you haven't seen it.  Royal will review on a case by case basis and allow the redistribution of FCC amounts between the guests because of the imbalance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, mstayman said:

Just received my FCC April 10, 2020 from a canceled March 15, 2020 sailing.

 

The March 15 sailing was moved to July 4, 2020. Another deposit paid and also told I had to pay for the balance of the July 4 cruise (90 day rule) by April 5th, 2020 and then apply my FCC when I received it both from RCL and travel agent.

 

I read in my RCL FCC email that my FCC CAN NOT be applied to a cruise paid in full..which was done 6 days ago....or I would have my reservation canceled!

 

Called travel agent, I called RCL. Both declined to apply FCC to the July 4, 2020 paid in full cruise.

 

I now have a paid in full rescheduled "new" cruise for July 4, 2020 and an FCC from the canceled March 15, 2020 cruise which expires 12/2021.

 

To top it off, if the July 4, 2020 cruise is canceled due to the new CDC 100 day rule and FCC is issued for the July 4, 2020 cruise, I will have 2 FCC certificates that CAN NOT be applied to just one new future cruise.

 

Multiple FCC for the same person are required to be used separately on 2 DIFFERENT cruises.

 

If I request refund for the March 15, 2020 cruise I lose the $1000 rooms deposit.

 

Can’t really get ahead…..or break even.

 

Cruiser beware.

I'm so sorry.  This is such a nightmare to be out so much $ with zero recourse.  Never again.  Viking returned $25K of my money with no questions asked.  Classy company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I must have missed the superfine print somewhere.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mstayman said:

......I will have 2 FCC certificates that CAN NOT be applied to just one new future cruise.

 

Multiple FCC for the same person are required to be used separately on 2 DIFFERENT cruises.

 

 

@Ourusualbeach... is this correct? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I was told from the RCL resolutions department....From my phone call today.

 

I even asked for an extension to April 14 as FCC was due by April 13 but was denied.  We asked specifically about the FCC being applied to the rescheduled cruise if it was paid in full and was told it would be credited back to my CC.

 

I was SHOCKED when I read the email with the FCC credits yesterday. 
 

I’m not sure who knows what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...let me get this straight.  A friend and I had a cruise booked for May, which we cancelled.  We both have a certain amount available on a FCC, equal amounts.  To book a new cruise, I have to call the number on the certificate...this I know.  I let the agent know the date of the new cruise, on which we both are going; I don't have to give a deposit, but I have to pay them for the taxes and port charges, the same charges I have yet to be paid.  Then I give them the certificate number.  Then then apply both certificates to the cruise; and now I have to wait for the taxes and port charges that I have already paid on the cruise?  What if the 2 certificates almost pay the cruise in full, less a few dollars or so.  Do I get a full refund of the port charges and taxes or are we going to get another FCC?  I'm not sure that I will ever be sailing on RCCL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 2flacruisers said:

So...let me get this straight.  A friend and I had a cruise booked for May, which we cancelled.  We both have a certain amount available on a FCC, equal amounts.  To book a new cruise, I have to call the number on the certificate...this I know.  I let the agent know the date of the new cruise, on which we both are going; I don't have to give a deposit, but I have to pay them for the taxes and port charges, the same charges I have yet to be paid.  Then I give them the certificate number.  Then then apply both certificates to the cruise; and now I have to wait for the taxes and port charges that I have already paid on the cruise?  What if the 2 certificates almost pay the cruise in full, less a few dollars or so.  Do I get a full refund of the port charges and taxes or are we going to get another FCC?  I'm not sure that I will ever be sailing on RCCL.

Here’s an example. 

 

Old cruise $2000, include in that $300 in port charges. 

Each person gets a FCC for $850. Port charges of $300 refunded

 

new cruise $1800.  Port fees $200..cruise only is then $800 per person 

 

you must pay the port fees and taxes of $200.  You can then apply $800 each from your FCC.  After this cruise has sailed you will receive a new FCC for $50 each.

 

port fees and taxes must always be paid and cannot have a FCC applied to them. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UrbanGirlie said:

 

They are also making it very difficult for folks to use credits now anyway given the FCC amounts are split evenly and the 'current offers' are for buy one get passenger 2nd 60% off.  Leaves you with a huge balance on the second/third cruiser that cant be used unless you book two (or three) cruises.  Shame on RC. shame shame. SMH

I called and fought a few times as I had the exact same situation as you and eventually they fixed it and gave me new FCC in the correct proportions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a March 29 cruise. Paid in full $1,600 for two.  We got ou FCC yesterday.  $1,000 for me, $400 For the wife.  So our $1,600 paid equals a refund less, not 25% more!   Thanks RCL!  My guess they have a real problem!  However, my guess is it won’t matter, as they will file chapter 11 sometime in the next. Couple of months.   Will be interesting as they are nor a US Corp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

At least you got your FCCs. I had a March 22nd cruise cancelled by Royal.  I have heard absolutely nothing. 

Edited by RosieRoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our TA booked just booked us for 12 days in April 2021 and they refused to use any of of FCC for the 900 deposit (even though there should be 10k in credits-ugh).   Of course who knows if the FCC was showing up, we haven’t seen any emails on either cancelled cruises (March and June) to confirm the credits. 
 

I am also concerned about the two NEXT cruise credits we had attached to those two lost cruises - that’s another $600 total lost if they don’t credit those. I thought I had read they were to honor those, have I missed something?

 

We have been pretty laid back about all of this, but it’s becoming a bit irritating at this point for us.
 

Edited by AlohaLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

We have been pretty laid back about all of this, but it’s becoming a bit irritating at this point for us.

 


I feel the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mstayman said:

Just received my FCC April 10, 2020 from a canceled March 15, 2020 sailing.

 

The March 15 sailing was moved to July 4, 2020. Another deposit paid and also told I had to pay for the balance of the July 4 cruise (90 day rule) by April 5th, 2020 and then apply my FCC when I received it both from RCL and travel agent.

 

I read in my RCL FCC email that my FCC CAN NOT be applied to a cruise paid in full..which was done 6 days ago....or I would have my reservation canceled!

 

Called travel agent, I called RCL. Both declined to apply FCC to the July 4, 2020 paid in full cruise.

 

I now have a paid in full rescheduled "new" cruise for July 4, 2020 and an FCC from the canceled March 15, 2020 cruise which expires 12/2021.

 

To top it off, if the July 4, 2020 cruise is canceled due to the new CDC 100 day rule and FCC is issued for the July 4, 2020 cruise, I will have 2 FCC certificates that CAN NOT be applied to just one new future cruise.

 

Multiple FCC for the same person are required to be used separately on 2 DIFFERENT cruises.

 

If I request refund for the March 15, 2020 cruise I lose the $1000 rooms deposit.

 

Can’t really get ahead…..or break even.

 

Cruiser beware.

 

7 hours ago, UrbanGirlie said:

Hello Future Cruisers -

 

Successfully cancelled our cruise that was supposed to be en route (4/5-4/11) on 3/9.  Received my family's 5 FCC's on 3/17 totaling $10,942.  This amount was PIF to Royal in January.  (Side note that i received our taxes back in two separate transactions weeks apart after two or three phone calls to Royal.)

I decided to find and book/use the credits yesterday, researching cruises for next July 2021.  Called the number in the email 'How to redeem your FCC" (1-800-256-6649) listened to all the prompts, and after 1.5 hours on hold finally got through to someone who asked for my 'booking number'.  I proceed to give him our old number from the cancelled cruise, at which point he got very snippy with me and said no, no, the NEW booking number?!?  I was like, I'm calling to book a new cruise, I have it all picked out down to the staterooms we'd like!  He then then told me 'wrong department - hold' and transferred me to a booking agent where I had to then book the new cruise with all the info (guests, dining times etc.) and then he told me he could put a courtesy hold on it?! *****?  I said, you have almost $11K in my unused money and you  want me to pay you more $?

So he said I then had to (this is funny) call the number in me email with directions how to APPLY the FCC to my new reservation!  SO here I am.  Ive called 2-3 times, nobody knows what to do, how to apply this credit, etc. all while my new booking is ticking away at being cancelled because I haven't paid!  I'm so frustrated!  If I din't have these credits I would absolutely NEVER book with this company again but here I am.

I realize these are crazy times, I am aware they are 'working from home', and I'm trying to remain patient but this is the most agonizing process I have ever been through to book a lousy cruise I may never get to take in the first place.

Any insights/numbers/experiences you can share would be helpful and appreciated. 

What a nightmare. Let these stories be a forewarning to anyone making the conscious choice right now to take the FCC over the cash refund when given the choice. That 125% is tempting people into a potentially horrible fate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal is allowing you to book a cruise and the deposit is not due until May 31.  This is to allow for the FCC to be processed so that you can apply it.

Wait....so you have to pay a deposit on top of your 125% FCC you already paid for.....I do not understand that. You shouldn't have to pay them a DIME.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

At least you got your FCCs. I had a March 22nd cruise cancelled by Royal.  I have heard absolutely nothing. 

My cruise was March 15th.  I received my FCC yesterday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Wait....so you have to pay a deposit on top of your 125% FCC you already paid for.....I do not understand that. You shouldn't have to pay them a DIME.


Yes.  I knew that FCC Could not be used for new cruise deposit.... but the May 31 rule must have been placed after I got duped into paying my “new” rescheduled cruise in full..... but to not credit my CC once I received my FCC is a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Wait....so you have to pay a deposit on top of your 125% FCC you already paid for.....I do not understand that. You shouldn't have to pay them a DIME.

As my post stated you can book s cruise with no deposit while you wait for the FCC to be generated.  Once you get your FCC you can then apply it to the reservation.  You only need to pay the taxes and fees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mstayman said:


Yes.  I knew that FCC Could not be used for new cruise deposit.... but the May 31 rule must have been placed after I got duped into paying my “new” rescheduled cruise in full..... but to not credit my CC once I received my FCC is a joke.

The no deposit rule only applied to cruises that were not last final payment or would only allow the deposit to remain unpaid until the final deposit date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...