FCC Nightmare! Anyone success??

4 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I’d be nervous about having money tied up in that many cruises for the next year given the cruiseline’s apparent financial situation. Then again, if there weren’t people willing to leave their money with RC, they’d go bankrupt for sure, so I hope it works out ok for everyone.

I’m hoping for an opportunity to rebook the cruise we’re missing this year, but I won’t do it until 2022 at the earliest, mostly due to my own scheduling, but also because I’m not willing to put a deposit on anything as uncertain as next summer’s cruising season.

We are retired and travel a lot. We book most of our cruises 2 years in advance so we get a really good price most of the time. The FCC that we are getting from this B2B will actually pay off several of the cruises we have booked so I have to be very careful how I apply them. We have 5 between October and December for 51nights. I am worried that some if not all could be cancelled. No final payments till the end of July so I have some time to see how thing will play out. I have confidence in RCL even though things are difficult for them along with the rest of the world right now. The stock market used to make me nervous, especially in 2008, where we all lost. I guess it gave me more confidence this time because even though I am very cautious and observant , I'm confident things will come back after this pandemic is gone. In my lifetime we have never dealt with anything quite like this. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, squale2 said:

Will the taxes and fees for the cancelled cruise be credited after you use the FCC?

You will get a refund for those for any cancelled cruise and you'll need to pay them for any new booking - they are separate from any FCC.

Tried to edit my comment but too much time had passed.

Edited version:  

I don't think loyalty level will be a deciding factor on how RCL treats refunds or FCCs. RCL may decide this is a wonderful way to shed itself of loyalty programs.   Wasn't meaning to imply Rustic was using status as a reason to get faster refund.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just tagged you to a different thread. Soccer mom just had success getting hers extended. 

Ok, so I followed your advice re email. Let’s see what happens.

The only thing I accomplished in my two hour conversation was verifying facts I had already read here on CC. 

1. FCC can be used on an existing cruise (which we knew, but had to be verified by two different people at RCCL)

2. Multiple FCCs can be used on one sailing

3. They will pool the FCCs on the same reservation as long as both parties are on the reservation (meaning if one guests FCC is larger than the other)

4. If there is an excess amount it gets returned in another FCC after you sail

5. Sail by date means sail by, not book by

6. I saved the best for last, “the rules are changing every day”

To Royals credit, the agent I spoke to was very nice. She spent the whole time on hold with me while getting answers to all the above questions. I feel bad for some of them because the rules are changing daily even for them.  I think it’s difficult for them to keep up. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

Ok, so I followed your advice re email. Let’s see what happens.

The only thing I accomplished in my two hour conversation was verifying facts I had already read here on CC. 

1. FCC can be used on an existing cruise (which we knew, but had to be verified by two different people at RCCL)

2. Multiple FCCs can be used on one sailing

3. They will pool the FCCs on the same reservation as long as both parties are on the reservation (meaning if one guests FCC is larger than the other)

4. If there is an excess amount it gets returned in another FCC after you sail

5. Sail by date means sail by, not book by

6. I saved the best for last, “the rules are changing every day”

To Royals credit, the agent I spoke to was very nice. She spent the whole time on hold with me while getting answers to all the above questions. I feel bad for some of them because the rules are changing daily even for them.  I think it’s difficult for them to keep up. 

I’ve never had a bad rep.  All courteous and patient.... just never consistent info was the frustrating part.  I’d read opposite information here in the forum from seasoned/well informed travelers/TA.... call back RCL and still stonewalled or told “ you are partially correct..”... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Tried to edit my comment but too much time had passed.

Edited version:  

I don't think loyalty level will be a deciding factor on how RCL treats refunds or FCCs. RCL may decide this is a wonderful way to shed itself of loyalty programs.   Wasn't meaning to imply Rustic was using status as a reason to get faster refund.

There best chance of coming out of this is Loyalty.   It is a well know adage that it is not what happens but how you treat the customer after it happens that brings. Customers back.  If you take a hard look at RCL’s loyalty program you will see it cost them very little.  A cooks tray on sailing, a couple drinks, until you get to diamond or higher,  very little expense involved.  But the return is huge.  

There is a reason there phone bank is so pleasant.  I suspect this business like any other is about the cost to obtain and cost to retain customers.  If RCL does go chapter 11, how many pentacle members will stick around if there rewards are cancelled?

So, my point is they should be concerned about there loyal customers!

Edited by Rustic23

Posted this in another FCC thread already, but since there are several, I decided to post here as well.

When we were informed that our Med cruise for April 26 had been cancelled on March 17, I requested a refund of the drinks package I ordered. I got the money back on my CC just 3 days later. Unfortunately, RCL later sent out a mail that you could transfer prepaid amenities to a new cruise as well and they would apply an additional 25% to the original amount as well. Oh well.

We then rebooked to a TA cruise in October 2021, RCL granted us the full discounts we had received for booking the original cruise at the Future Cruise Desk aboard Spectrum last year. Originally, our travel agent told us that there was a $900 deposit to hold our booking until the FCC would be applied but then rechecked with RCL and they told her that as long as there was any amount on the booking, they would hold it. So we just had to put in $50 per person.

Yesterday, we received an e-mail with half of our FCCs, the travel agent is talking to RCL right now when the second half will show up.

Haven't received our port fees and taxes back, but I expct them to refund those in the next few days as well.

• Like 2

I do not want FCC.  I don't want anything to do with RCC again.  This is has been a nightmare.  You wouldn't believe what we have been though with cancelling airlines, hotels, etc.  We want our money refunded.  I understand to get this we have to wait until the cruise (6/5) is actually cancelled by RCC. 

We mistakenly applied for FCC in our confusion about whether the cruise would be cancelled or not and asked RCC to void our FCC application via Costco Travel.  The efficient Costco Travel rep, bless his heart, got that done for us.  I do not want to gamble whether RCC is going to be in business so I want the refund now. 

There has been a chance we will be throwing $8,000 away and it was making me sick.  All we wanted was a nice 7 days with our family and look at where we are, begging and pleading with nice CS reps.  

Now we will wait to see if the cruise on the 6/5 is cancelled by RCC and if they will then refund our $8,000.

We have been on 30+ cruises.  All of them were adventures in one way or another but this one, the one we didn't go on, takes the cake as they say.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rustic23 said:

There best chance of coming out of this is Loyalty.   It is a well know adage that it is not what happens but how you treat the customer after it happens that brings. Customers back.  If you take a hard look at RCL’s loyalty program you will see it cost them very little.  A cooks tray on sailing, a couple drinks, until you get to diamond or higher,  very little expense involved.  But the return is huge.  

There is a reason there phone bank is so pleasant.  I suspect this business like any other is about the cost to obtain and cost to retain customers.  If RCL does go chapter 11, how many pentacle members will stick around if there rewards are cancelled?

So, my point is they should be concerned about there loyal customers!

How many cruises does it take to reach “Pentacle?”

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Mad Jayhawk said:

I do not want FCC.  I don't want anything to do with RCC again.  This is has been a nightmare.  You wouldn't believe what we have been though with cancelling airlines, hotels, etc.  We want our money refunded.  I understand to get this we have to wait until the cruise (6/5) is actually cancelled by RCC. 

We mistakenly applied for FCC in our confusion about whether the cruise would be cancelled or not and asked RCC to void our FCC application via Costco Travel.  The efficient Costco Travel rep, bless his heart, got that done for us.  I do not want to gamble whether RCC is going to be in business so I want the refund now. 

There has been a chance we will be throwing $8,000 away and it was making me sick.  All we wanted was a nice 7 days with our family and look at where we are, begging and pleading with nice CS reps.  

Now we will wait to see if the cruise on the 6/5 is cancelled by RCC and if they will then refund our $8,000.

We have been on 30+ cruises.  All of them were adventures in one way or another but this one, the one we didn't go on, takes the cake as they say.

I think it’s pretty likely a June 5th cruise will be cancelled and you’ll get your money back. I had a June cruise booked too but I cancelled before final payment and got my deposit refunded (in theory anyway - haven’t seen the money show up on my account yet but I do have a confirmation email and number showing I’m getting a refund eventually). 

51 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

How many cruises does it take to reach “Pentacle?”

700 days, about two years however we encounter severalPe tackle cruisers on just about every cruise.  So it’s more folks than you would think. Diamond plus is 175.

Edited by Rustic23

5 hours ago, Rustic23 said:

700 days, about two years however we encounter severalPe tackle cruisers on just about every cruise.  So it’s more folks than you would think. Diamond plus is 175.

I occasionally see Mario but other than him I wouldn't know anyone's status and no one knows mine or has asked.  It's great people can cruise enough to reach it but I won't ever get there.

You miss my pointn each leg up the latter demonstrates a loyalty from the customer to the company. It us a trust. When that trust is violated the repercussions are not good.  I could have used gold, emerald pentacle etc. Rcl’s immediate problem may be cash, but in the long run it customer retention. Think back to a cruise show when the cruise director ask for first time cruisers. About a quarter of the audience, meaning the rest are most likely loyalty members. 

On 4/11/2020 at 5:28 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

FYI, once you book you will still have to pay the port fees and taxes no matter the amount on your FCC.  Port fees and taxes would have been refunded from your previous cruise

I've posted this in another thread but I guess you haven't seen it.  Royal will review on a case by case basis and allow the redistribution of FCC amounts between the guests because of the imbalance.

We just got our FCC info for one of the 2 cruises cancelled (on this one the itinerary was changed so much at they offered OBC to stay, a 100% refund or 125% FCC).  The amount we are being told by our TA isn't even close to my calculation - something is wrong or either I am leaking brain cells during isolation (both may be true!). 

The total was $6370.86 (includes a $200 next cruise deposit).

The base price was $5584  for the cabin.

Our invoice lists 786.86 for taxes and fees.

We are being told the following by the TA (based on info from RCL):

1. The FCC given is $6993.75.

2. Taxes of $336.80 are being refunded.

My math says they are keeping $6034.06 of my money and 125% of that is $7542.58.  Based on the tax amount refunded, they are keeping the port fees totally 450.06 which is added to the base rate above. If for some reason they keep the port taxes and only credit us 100% of those, the amount would still be 7430.06 (and higher than the 6993.75 RCL is purportedly giving us). 

I am tired, my eyes are blurry with all of this, am I missing something?

Edited by AlohaLivin

6 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

We just got our FCC info for one of the 2 cruises cancelled (on this one the itinerary was changed so much at they offered OBC to stay, a 100% refund or 125% FCC).  The amount we are being told by our TA isn't even close to my calculation - something is wrong or either I am leaking brain cells during isolation (both may be true!). 

The total was $6370.86 (includes a $200 next cruise deposit).

The base price was $5584  for the cabin.

Our invoice lists 786.86 for taxes and fees.

We are being told the following by the TA (based on info from RCL):

1. The FCC given is $6993.75.

2. Taxes of $336.80 are being refunded.

My math says they are keeping $6034.06 of my money and 125% of that is $7542.58.  Based on the tax amount refunded, they are keeping the port fees totally 450.06 which is added to the base rate above. If for some reason they keep the port taxes and only credit us 100% of those, the amount would still be 7430.06 (and higher than the 6993.75 RCL is purportly giving us). 

I am tired, my eyes are blurry with all of this, am I missing something?

You get the 125% on the base cruise fare only $5584 x 125% = $6980 so pretty close to what they say. 

You should get back $786 in taxes. 

The tax tax refund is the only discrepancy I see. 

Are you using Royals invoice or one from the TA.  Some TA’s use a higher amount for taxes and fees as they include non commissionable cruise fare.

you need to be looking at a copy of Royals invoice.  If you don’t have that ask your TA for one. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You get the 125% on the base cruise fare only $5584 x 125% = $6980 so pretty close to what they say. 

You should get back $786 in taxes. 

The tax tax refund is the only discrepancy I see. 

Yes, but the partial fee has to be accounted for, either in the RCC or refund and it's missing. I can't see why the TA can't see what is pretty clear in the numbers. Thanks so much for the reply, I am just so frustrated with this and him.

Have you seen them doing this to others (RCL)?

Edited by AlohaLivin

1 minute ago, AlohaLivin said:

Yes, but the partial fee has to be accounted for, either in the RCC or refund and it's missing. I can't see why the TA can't see what is pretty clear in the numbers. Thanks so much for the reply, I am just so frustrated with this and him.

I added to my above post about the taxes. 

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I added to my above post about the taxes. 

Yes, I was just emphasizing that it was a problem (whether added in to the FCC or returned, it disappearing wasn't an option). It wasn't me correcting, more agreeing that no, they can't just make that magically disappear. So appreciate your help! 🙂

Edited by AlohaLivin

Yes, I was just emphasizing that it was a problem (whether added in to the FCC or returned, it disappearing wasn't an option). It wasn't me correcting, more agreeing that no, they can't just make that magically disappear. So appreciate your help! 🙂

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear.

Are you looking at Royals invoice or a TA’s.

the only way I can tell how much should be refunded and how much FCC should be issued is by using numbers off Royals invoice.  Some TA’s show the totals differently on theirs.

i agree, I think there is a problem, just trying to narrow down whether it’s the FCC or the taxes. 

Get a a copy of Royals invoice from your TA. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear.

Are you looking at Royals invoice or a TA’s.

the only way I can tell how much should be refunded and how much FCC should be issued is by using numbers off Royals invoice.  Some TA’s show the totals differently on theirs.

i agree, I think there is a problem, just trying to narrow down whether it’s the FCC or the taxes. 

Get a a copy of Royals invoice from your TA. 

Yes! That is exactly what we wanted, the RCL invoice - the TA says they are working at home and he says he doesn’t have access to the invoices (that doesn’t make much sense to me, but...) and says he is only going by what the royal rep is stating. So all I have is their invoice showing the base rate, the “taxes and fees: and the total. I totally get what you are saying - but unless there is a piece of info I am missing, the total of fees and taxes should be only be port fees and taxes and that entire amount should be returned.  We have never been told of any charge from the TA, but it would be insane for them to arbitrarily add in $400. 

Edited by AlohaLivin

Yes! That is exactly what we wanted, the RCL invoice - the TA says they are working at home and he says he doesn’t have access to the invoices (that doesn’t make much sense to me, but...) and says he is only going by what the royal rep is stating. So all I have is their invoice showing the base rate, the “taxes and fees: and the total. I totally get what you are saying - but unless there is a piece of info I am missing, the total of fees and taxes should be only be port fees and taxes and that entire amount should be returned.  We have never been told of any charge from the TA, but it would be insane for them to arbitrarily add in $400. 

That’s BS.  He can actually go on the computer and log into cruising power and have the guest copy sent right to your e mail address in under 30 seconds. 

Regarding the taxes

some agents also include what is called non commissionable cruise fare into what Royal classifies as taxes making the taxes appear higher than they are.  They do this because they don’t get paid commission on that amount.  That amount should be included in the base fare. 

• Like 1