January? Is that too hopeful?

CaribbeanJen

We were booked on the on the March 14th Breakaway cruise.  We were in the process of cancelling when NCL cancelled the cruise. 

We were given either a full refund or 150% FFC.   

After a lot of thought and conversation we have decided to take the 150% FFC.  We just booked on an 11 day cruise for January 3 on the Getaway.  (NY - Caribbean- Miami) 

It appears we have a great deal.  We have an 11 day with an AFT balcony for close to what we had paid for a 7 day Western in a Mini.  I don't care about the mini- getting an AFT room is my favorite perk.  

So...am I too hopeful to think we will be sailing by January?  

I have a cruise scheduled in October.  I'm hopeful I'll get to sail it.

Bottom line though, nobody knows.  They could be sailing again in July, they could be shut down until July 2021.  Anybody who says they know for sure should be buying lottery tickets.

• Like 2

Hope is good!  Hard to say if Jan is too soon.  I hope it isn't.  We have a March 2021 and I hope to be on it.  I can't believe that the cruise lines won't have a plan in place that will be satisfactory to both the CDC and USG that would allow for cruises to be running again by then.  I think something that could happen is that your itinerary changes due to places/ports that may not be ready to receive ships.

• Like 2

I really see no point in booking further cruises or using FCC’s until this plays out. Just make a plan on paper to go and book last minute if possible. This way the anticipation of your cruise being cancelled all the way up near the cruise date doesn’t kill you. Book 30 days or less out .....

• Like 9

I booked the Jan. 2021 Getaway back in Oct. when we still had the 20% off Latitudes and free air.  I was thinking about getting the FCC from my cancelled April Bliss and paying off the balance while selecting another cruise but now I decided just to take the full refund tomorrow and wait to see if January cruises are cancelled.

I also have a Sept. 2020 Carnival cruise out of NYC booked.  Carnival has now taken ALL 2020 NYC cruises off their website but has not yet notified us if they are cancelled or not.  Some say they are still going but with limited capacity.  I personally do not believe this.

13 hours ago, CaribbeanJen said:

We were booked on the on the March 14th Breakaway cruise.  We were in the process of cancelling when NCL cancelled the cruise. 

After a lot of thought and conversation we have decided to take the 150% FFC.  We just booked on an 11 day cruise for January 3 on the Getaway.  (NY - Caribbean- Miami) 

It appears we have a great deal.  We have an 11 day with an AFT balcony for close to what we had paid for a 7 day Western in a Mini.  I don't care about the mini- getting an AFT room is my favorite perk.  

Sounds like a great cruise and a wonderful plan. January would be a good plan at the momemnt. 

3 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I'm very hopeful for our early November cruise out of Miami🤞

i think you have a great chance , it really will depend on where and what port. i see florida ports opening up a lot sooner than say NY

19 hours ago, CaribbeanJen said:

We have a Panama Canal cruise on the Joy scheduled for the end of January,  but now wondering if it might be too soon.  If there are no vaccines by then, this damb virus will likely rear its ugly head again and the last place we'd want yo be is stuck on a ship.  We got a great deal on an aft penthouse with air included for much less than the prices now, but getting nervous....

I'm with the person who said for now they wouldn't book anything at all.  The future of the cruise lines, how they will be doing, or not doing business after this, impossible to tell.  I would not give them any money at all right now.  However, if already booked, I think January is about the earliest I would expect to see cruising again.  But only my opinion based on "no fact" speculation...as are all others.  

• Like 2

I have 2 cruises booked on the Gem, my favorite ship. A 6/26 to Bermuda, I give that 0% chance of happening. Also an 11 day Southern Caribbean leaving 1/3. That's 50/50 in my eyes at this point. 

I love NCL and am standing with them in this crisis. Though hoping my January cruise happens! It was a killer deal in October. 

• Like 1

I am keeping all of my money in my bank accounts until there is actual light streaming in the end of the tunnel.  Even the stimulus money.  Anyone spending on a future “maybe” or a “nice-to-have” right now is the same as someone buying lottery tickets on a “system”.

We have a June 11th Bermuda cruise on the Encore, we're just waiting for the obvious cancellation. Our next NCL cruise is Panama Canal next November and hoping things are much better then. We also have an Antarctica cruise for this Christmas and are really keeping our fingers crossed!

What a bunch of negative Nancy's on here. What's a cruise deposit run? A few hundred dollars? This is why I buy insurance and don't pay off cruises until I have to. I've got 3 on the books. One for August, one for September, and one for December. August is the only crap shoot in my book. The rest I expect to proceed as usual. And if I'm wrong I'm out a few hundred bucks and have a bunch of airfare credit. It isn't the end of the world.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ja2nowak said:

What a bunch of negative Nancy's on here. What's a cruise deposit run? A few hundred dollars? This is why I buy insurance and don't pay off cruises until I have to. I've got 3 on the books. One for August, one for September, and one for December. August is the only crap shoot in my book. The rest I expect to proceed as usual. And if I'm wrong I'm out a few hundred bucks and have a bunch of airfare credit. It isn't the end of the world.

thank you , sometimes i fee alone in this sea of doom and gloom , even called a troll for being optimistic . 

• Like 2

I can't say whether it'd be a good idea to book right now or not. It'd sort of depend on whether I thought I was getting a good cruise at a good price and all, not just the virus.

While my July cruise is off (and I'm bailing on a non-cruise in August for financial, not viral reasons), I'm still scheduled for November (and then December/NYE, Star Trek, August 2021, and October 2021). I booked it many ages ago, well before Covid-19 was a gleam in its mother's eye.

My view on it is that I'm not touching it until I have to. I really want to go on that cruise, hardcore. I don't know what I'll do if I can't...I'm thinking I'd trade it for October's next year, but I got such a good deal and prime cabin real estate that there's no way I could truly replicate it.

(And I have all my PTO booked, and my cat sitter. What am I going to do with all that time? Sit in the chair I've been sitting in almost entirely non-stop since early March?)

I am on the same cruise CarribbeanJen. I am worrying about them changing the cruise substantially or canceling it even if cruises are happening. Getaway is supposed to be doing Med cruises all spring, summer and fall. Then transatlantic in early December, and a few holiday cruises from NYC before our cruise.

I worry that Europe might not be open for sailing/might be such a short season they don’t bother sending her to Europe. If they don’t reposition to Europe and she’s already down south is it worth it to send her up to NYC for 3 cruises? I am hoping it is, usually NYC holiday cruises are big bucks for the cruiseline. 

I’m trying not to worry. If they do cancel I’ll just try and find something else, but I’ve been looking forward to this cruise for a while and I got an amazing deal on it. 

• Like 2

Would I book a cruise for far in the future, i.e. 18 months out? Sure, but only because I have 2 CruiseNext certificates in my account, so booking a cruise costs me nothing.

Would I make final payment on a cruise right now? No way.