REFUNDS - How To Get Yours!

For cancelled cruises - many are still waiting on cruise/cruise planner refunds from Royal well beyond the promised 7-30 days & without any updates. Some of whom requested a refund but were instead “accidentally” issued FCC. 

What are you doing to get your money back?  What worked and how long did it take?

1) Keep calling Royal (share # and dept you spoke with) 

2) Email Royal executive (share email address)

3) Dispute charges with your credit card company 

4) File a complaint with Federal Trade Commission (share example)

5) Anything else?

Loyalty is a two way street.  

A promise is a promise. 

Communication brings understanding.

Give it time.  I certainly would  not do 2-5 yet.     Continual calling ties up agents who have NO CONTROL  over your refund.  Perhaps just a second call to make sure your cruise is noted for the type of refund your requested.   For cancelled cruises, if one did nothing FCC was (or will be )  issued.   We thought we asked for credit card refund for our cancelled cruises   but apparently  our file indicated FCC for at least one.    A second call hopefully  changed the FCC for a RCCL cancelled cruise to a  credit card refund. 

Today is just the 30 day mark since RCCL cancelled our March 15 cruise.  I had 3 cruises cancelled and requested credit card refund for each.  I am told by RCCL that it will be 30-90 days.  

However, I  also cancelled a refundable deposit cruise for later this year and have already reveived the $500 deposit refund.  I cancelled  the crusie on March 16 and the refund was back to my credit card on April 9.

I can't even imagine the volume of  cruises that were cancelled by RCCL or  by individuals.  

I hope you get proper resolution soon.

M

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

However, I  also cancelled a refundable deposit cruise for later this year and have already reveived the $500 deposit refund.  I cancelled  the crusie on March 16 and the refund was back to my credit card on April 9.

Thank you for this info.  I did the same on March 28, so hopefully I will see my refund next week.

My parents are still waiting for their refund for an early April cruise. Last week the Government of Canada opened up emergency benefits for people who lost their jobs due to Covid and in a lot of cases payments were made same day. Upwards of 1 million people applied in the first week (last week) and pretty much all have already gotten payments. No reason a large corporation can't give speedy refunds if a Government can dole out money fast. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

My parents are still waiting for their refund for an early April cruise. Last week the Government of Canada opened up emergency benefits for people who lost their jobs due to Covid and in a lot of cases payments were made same day. Upwards of 1 million people applied in the first week (last week) and pretty much all have already gotten payments. No reason a large corporation can't give speedy refunds if a Government can dole out money fast. 

The reason is they don't want to.🤯

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Some got better Koolaid than others. 

In my opinion 

I was reading another forum here on CC and someone voiced their extreme displeasure of how the line had treated them as they had repeatedly called and called wanting to know about their many thousands of dollars refund.  A few replies actually told the poster how selfish she was and how she should give them 60 to 90 days and  not tie up the phones calling and how bad the cruise lines had it now.  A true loyalist I suppose.  If I had almost $10,000 tied up waiting on a refund I'd be impatient also.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I was reading another forum here on CC and someone voiced their extreme displeasure of how the line had treated them as they had repeatedly called and called wanting to know about their many thousands of dollars refund.  A few replies actually told the poster how selfish she was and how she should give them 60 to 90 days and  not tie up the phones calling and how bad the cruise lines had it now.  A true loyalist I suppose.  If I had almost $10,000 tied up waiting on a refund I'd be impatient also.

My cancelled cruise is still two weeks away, i was told the refund would be processed at the time the cruise was set for debarkation.  Works for me. If I don't see it the week of the 26th, I'll ring my TA and have him look into it

• Like 1

It doesn't matter whether you had $10,000 or $1,000 tied up in a cruise, it can be frustrating trying to get the refund in whatever form you request.  I don't expect to get anything back in a reasonable time frame right now, no matter what they're saying, makes it easier to deal with.

That said, I choose to book with an amazing TA and let him deal with all that for me.  Highly recommend finding a good TA, they make the process so much easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We cancelled our May Alaska cruise on 3/30 and were told at the time that it would take 30 days for the refund to show up on our credit card.  We have received our cruise planner purchase refunds already, those took anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks but we did receive the refund for all of them.

I have been reading that many are being told 30-90 days now?  The longer it goes past the 30 days would be concerning for me.  With the CDC extending its no sail order the industry is obviously hurting for capital and there is so much uncertainty with the industry right now.  My concern is bankruptcy or merging of companies where existing debt gets cancelled or reduced.  I have no knowledge this will happen it’s just my opinion, I have been through something similar on a smaller scale with a business and years later I received a very small portion of what I was owed after the company filed bankruptcy and rebranded as a new business after a class action lawsuit.  So like others we will just practice patience and be well everyone!

• Like 3

I was told that they are processing both the refunds and FCC’s on the date that the ship was to have originally sailed and that it could be 30 days from that point.

Also if they accidentally issue you a FCC as opposed to a refund you just call and request the refund.  All FCC’s issued due to Royal cancelling the sailing can be converted to a refund before December 31, 2021 as long as they have not been used

I asked this on another thread, was looking for an answer from a travel agent? Just how soon are they getting commissions on all the canceled cruises their client has booked?

Here is the question I asked?

"

How long can the cruiseline keep offering the travel agents commission on a canceled cruises when people are stilling waiting for refunds? Doesn't seem fair to have customers still waiting for their refunds?

A travel agent could stack up commissions from the same customer multiple times before a ship sails.

Say you have one customer who had a cruise in March canceled, rebooks  for May and has that canceled, then rebooks for June and that is canceled, that means agent get 3 commissions? How can the cruiseline keep paying out like  that? "

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I am told by RCCL that it will be 30-90 days.

If it is really 30-90 days now, they should update their website.  It still says 30 days from the date of your request.

I guess we will see if any start showing up today, which is technically day 31.  If they meant 30 business days, we would be looking at April 24.

They sent out emails after their first round of cancellations stating all the FCCs would be processed by April 13th.  That’s today.  I haven’t seen any FCCs or refunds.

”We will automatically issue you your Future Cruise Credit by Monday, April 13th, 2020 via email. So, there’s nothing for you to do!”

Edited by RosieRoo

9 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

They sent out emails after their first round of cancellations stating all the FCCs would be processed by April 13th.  That’s today.  I haven’t seen any FCCs or refunds.

Yes, and the same email said you would receive the refund 30 days after you submit your request.

If you had any cruises in round 2 (email of 3/24/20), our email said FCC's would be issued by April 30, and refunds 30 days after submitting request.  We did receive emails on cruise planner amounts that would be refunded, but nothing back on those either.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I was told that they are processing both the refunds and FCC’s on the date that the ship was to have originally sailed and that it could be 30 days from that point.

Also if they accidentally issue you a FCC as opposed to a refund you just call and request the refund.  All FCC’s issued due to Royal cancelling the sailing can be converted to a refund before December 31, 2021 as long as they have not been used

We had a May 2 cruise on the Brilliance that was fully paid.  When cruise with confidence came out we canceled and were offer FCC.  The cruise is now canceled.  Does this mean we can ask for a refund now instead of FCC?  Please advise.

5 minutes ago, kreidy said:

We had a May 2 cruise on the Brilliance that was fully paid.  When cruise with confidence came out we canceled and were offer FCC.  The cruise is now canceled.  Does this mean we can ask for a refund now instead of FCC?  Please advise.

No.  If you cancelled prior to RCCL canceling the cruise  then you will get the FCC.  The refund option is only for those who waited for RCCL to cancel the sailing. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

3 minutes ago, kreidy said:

No - only those who are still booked when RCI cancels the cruise  can choose a refund. I was also on your cruise, and I was pretty sure the ship wouldn't be going to Europe.

5 minutes ago, kreidy said:

No, you are locked into the option that you voluntarily chose. 

54 minutes ago, kreidy said:

Sadly you lost the game of chicken that Royal has been playing. 

3 hours ago, iahawkfan21 said:

It doesn't matter whether you had $10,000 or $1,000 tied up in a cruise, it can be frustrating trying to get the refund in whatever form you request.  I don't expect to get anything back in a reasonable time frame right now, no matter what they're saying, makes it easier to deal with.

That said, I choose to book with an amazing TA and let him deal with all that for me.  Highly recommend finding a good TA, they make the process so much easier.

My parents were booked through a TA.....that TA has since laid off all staff so no one to deal with anything....