Oceania Big Price Reduction

mozfoz

20 hours ago, ano said:

I would not be lured by low priced cruises. The cruise companies know cruises will not occur this year, but if they can convince you to give them money, they will because it will take you months to get your money back.  

Once vaccines are created and administered, then cruises will restart. This will likely be first half 2021, at the earliest. Until that time, forget concerts, festivals, large parties, and cruises. 

Emphasis mine.

I don't know why I keep reading about vaccines being the key.

This virus is mutating quickly (Iceland is trying to count mutations) and our best-outcome scenario is that most of the mutations turn into something far less lethal. Some mutations are already trending that way.

The vaccine will be geared to some of the more lethal mutations.

This is not influenza, but the virus is behaving/mutating like influenza, which suggests that the vaccines will look like influenza vaccines: that is, this year's vaccine is a compilation album of last year's Greatest Hits and a set of Best Guesses for this year.

Influenza vaccines, we think, have a yearly variance of a 40-60% success ratio. (Lots of data at CDC.)

That's a hell of a lot better than nothing! Take your flu shot!

But if the Wuhan vaccines come in at 40-60%, or even under 90%, it's going to be cold comfort for many, given what we've already gone through. Ships will sail, but a lot of people will be put off by a 90%-shot of being immunised.  

• Thanks 1

Based on what I  have read here, I went to check the current price for our Dec 1 Australia  cruise.  New price for our cabin is more than 4,000 less than when we booked.   But who knows if this cruise will ever take off? Probably not.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:11 AM, Paulchili said:

Alternatively, cancel before the cruise line does so you get 100% FCC rather then wait till they cancel when you have the option of full refund or 125% FCC (which many people like).

25% profit  is a good margin... and if you ever plan on cruising any time in the future, ever  it  can be seen as an investment  in your future travel.    Its like insurance when the dealer is showing an ace......you play the odds.     Looking at long term  I see it as a good risk to take.

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

25% profit  is a good margin... and if you ever plan on cruising any time in the future, ever  it  can be seen as an investment  in your future travel.    Its like insurance when the dealer is showing an ace......you play the odds.     Looking at long term  I see it as a good risk to take.

That depends on ones age, health, cruise line's survival and its potentially new "face" as well as future cruise prices  - lots of variables for my taste. 😀

Oh - and I forgot one little thing - COVID's future.

Edited by Paulchili

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That depends on ones age, health, cruise line's survival and its potentially new "face" as well as future cruise prices  - lots of variables for my taste. 😀

True  lots of variables  to contemplate  and each person needs to determine their risk tolerance.      For me  I have another consideration for 2020.   I have $8K in non refundable air that will expire Dec 28.      So I need to stay in the game for Sept or November cruises 2020.   

I sincerely think that the world will soon see that they can not shut down without totally destroying their economy for decades to come.  Germany, Austria, parts of Italy are already opening up. It is a balancing act  health vs economy...    You can not exclude one for the other  its is a compromise you have to make and the world will soon come to to realize.....

Edited by Hawaiidan

In the Universe, only change is constant.

I believe, on the backside of this, the travel industry will change. Cruise Lines will evolve to adapt to those changes or they won’t survive. We are already reading hints out of the Schengen countries on the nature of some of those changes.

I’m betting by at least October ships will be sailing again with new rules. Leaders are realizing they can’t print money indefinitely and people have to go back to work. The return will be uneven. Some will choose to remain isolated long after the majority have returned to everyday life. Some may choose to permanently remain in a controlled environment. Doing so will represent a different dimension of change.

17 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

My worry, is with all the extra credit out there. When things settle down, I'm afraid the prices could go up 25% with all the demand for the credits to get used up by a certain date. If this happens, there will be no profit margin.

But if you have a 25% profit  and prices go up 25%  than  you have not lost anything...only thing you have lost is time....  But  we loose and waste time every day.

20 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

My worry, is with all the extra credit out there. When things settle down, I'm afraid the prices could go up 25% with all the demand for the credits to get used up by a certain date. If this happens, there will be no profit margin.

Well folks..... I looked  at 2021 fares    and  I am not sure the exact percent   but   looking at the same cruise same time, same ship  comparing the 2020 fare to the 2021 fare:

14 day.. Marina         a  PH3 in 2020 ran 10,600.      In 2021   16300       A  B3  is going for  8000 in 2020  wan will go for 12,000 in 2021 !!!!     My numbers might be a bit off   but go check  the increases are BIG

10997014_1377215442596347_2257435853580723092_n.jpg

23 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well folks..... I looked  at 2021 fares    and  I am not sure the exact percent   but   looking at the same cruise same time, same ship  comparing the 2020 fare to the 2021 fare:

14 day.. Marina         a  PH3 in 2020 ran 10,600.      In 2021   16300       A  B3  is going for  8000 in 2020  wan will go for 12,000 in 2021 !!!!     My numbers might be a bit off   but go check  the increases are BIG

10997014_1377215442596347_2257435853580723092_n.jpg

I'd say it's more than 25% (if they can get it) 😀

The difference is mostly attributed to the huge price drop for the summer/fall 2020 cruises that most likely won’t sail anyway. Otherwise, it looks like the prices for 2021 comparable cruises are pretty similar to those of 2020 before the price drop. Also, it’s possible we’ll see the price reduction for 2021 cruises closer to the sail date.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

But if you have a 25% profit  and prices go up 25%  than  you have not lost anything...only thing you have lost is time....  But  we loose and waste time every day.

With the amount of money involved over the time before your next more expensive cruise, there are easier ways to make more than 25% profit in a very short amount of time. I'm glad we cancelled our Bermuda Cruise this summer before the penalty period. If it ends up sailing, we will look to re-book it at a lower price if available.

If Cruises resume this year I believe Canada/USA Sept/Oct most likely subject to a reopening of the Border---easy flights for both US and Canadian Residents compared to Europe. 

And the latest price reductions do look attractive

An easy way to use any FCC-----but not if Oceania continues to delay any Cash Refunds and demands another Cash Deposit------which seems their current policy if FCC less than total cruise fare.

Otherwise will take a long time!

This years Baltic cruise on Marina June 26 was $2899 pp cruise only for a Cat G inside guarantee. I cancelled it, have $250 pp FCC as an admin fee for cancelling.

I booked the same cruise, Baltic on Marina August 29, 2021 Cat F inside $3199 pp cruise only. Cat G is waitlisted already, 18 months in advance (which I don't believe, enables O to advertise lower starting fares). This is $300 more than I would have paid for taking the cruise this year. The deposit transferred over to the new cruise. So the deposit off $1500 plus the $500 admin fee means Oceania has $2000 of my money in their account. If that cruise doesn't happen, I can get a refund of the deposit money but what happens to the $500 FCC? How far into the future will Oceania push this money?

1 hour ago, alaskaca said:

Your suggestion proved to be very good advice.  Thanks for your help!!

sounds like you got something  to offset the discounted rate

Good news

if you do not ask you will not get  😉

Can you use a FCC a second time? Let me be more clear.

If you use a FCC to put a deposit on a future cruise (eg October or November) as the prices are much cheaper at the moment, but then closer to the time Covid 19 is still causing problems, if you cancel would your deposit revert once again to a FCC or do you only get one bite at it?

1 minute ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Can you use a FCC a second time? Let me be more clear.

If you use a FCC to put a deposit on a future cruise (eg October or November) as the prices are much cheaper at the moment, but then closer to the time Covid 19 is still causing problems, if you cancel would your deposit revert once again to a FCC or do you only get one bite at it?

I would hope if  O cancelled those cruises  you would get to use the FCC  at another time 

maybe wishful thinking

25 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I would hope if  O cancelled those cruises  you would get to use the FCC  at another time 

maybe wishful thinking

How about this as a hypothetical.

What if cruise lines in the future will require some form of clearance before letting passengers to board - such as a versions of 70+, Dr’s letter, pre-existing conditions or some other restrictions.

You have a FCC but now cannot use it as you are not cleared to cruise - will they give you a refund or will you just lose it?

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

How about this as a hypothetical.

What if cruise lines in the future will require some form of clearance before letting passengers to board - such as a versions of 70+, Dr’s letter, pre-existing conditions or some other restrictions.

You have a FCC but now cannot use it as you are not cleared to cruise - will they give you a refund or will you just lose it?

image.jpeg.4999e6345828378581f8cabf768332e5.jpeg

Only time will tell 😎

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

maybe wishful thinking

Yes, you get to use it again, within the original time constraints of booking and using, per my TA.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2