Oceania Big Price Reduction

mozfoz

Thank you for the heads up. We have a cruise booked in August, and on checking my TA website I see the price pp has been reduced by approx £1,000. As there are 4 of us on this cruise, that is a lot of money! I'm now waiting for TA to speak with Oceania.

My travel agent t has said Oceania will give us the new reduced fares, but they have also changed from OLife ultimate to a choice of one benefit. Still a massive saving for us. I just hope the world returns to some sort of normalcy by then. Horrible times at the moment.

I’m watching a cruise in December. The price over a few weeks has gone up and down, with Ultimate, then a lower price with only one benefit.  For the moment the price differential isn’t that great.  I guess they are testing the waters (no pun intended). 

Vis-à-vis Oceania allowing a 2nd use of the FCC if the rescheduled cruise is also cancelled…

Pretend you signed a contract for someone to paint your house.  Two days prior to starting, he falls and breaks his leg.  He calls you, lets you know, and gives you your choice of a refund or, if you let him hold onto the money, he’ll reschedule you and he’ll paint the living room for free.  You go for the credit and schedule something for 6 months later.  Two days prior to starting, he falls and breaks his arm so he can’t begin or complete the work again.  Does he get to say, “Sorry, we’ve tried to do this twice and it didn’t work out.  Not my fault – act of God.  Oh, by the way, I’m not refunding your money.”?  (If you answer “yes” to that question, I have a painting contract for you to sign.)

If they were to impose a new restriction for 70+, that would probably amount to a major change in the terms and conditions of the contract.  In such a case, a person who was precluded from sailing would most certainly be entitled to a refund.

FYI, not an attorney.  Just someone who’s probably seen one episode too many of The People’s Court.

9 minutes ago, Cliff-FLL said:

Vis-à-vis Oceania allowing a 2nd use of the FCC if the rescheduled cruise is also cancelled…

Pretend you signed a contract for someone to paint your house.  Two days prior to starting, he falls and breaks his leg.  He calls you, lets you know, and gives you your choice of a refund or, if you let him hold onto the money, he’ll reschedule you and he’ll paint the living room for free.  You go for the credit and schedule something for 6 months later.  Two days prior to starting, he falls and breaks his arm so he can’t begin or complete the work again.  Does he get to say, “Sorry, we’ve tried to do this twice and it didn’t work out.  Not my fault – act of God.  Oh, by the way, I’m not refunding your money.”?  (If you answer “yes” to that question, I have a painting contract for you to sign.)

If they were to impose a new restriction for 70+, that would probably amount to a major change in the terms and conditions of the contract.  In such a case, a person who was precluded from sailing would most certainly be entitled to a refund.

FYI, not an attorney.  Just someone who’s probably seen one episode too many of The People’s Court.

There you go making sense again 😀

Thanks to being alerted  by this group as to cruise reduction (cruise only), my TA just confirmed our new Dec 1 Australia  cruise is $3,0000 less per person.🤣

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cliff-FLL said:

Where can I watch "The People's Court: Marshall Islands/Liberia/Bahamas/Panama Edition"?

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

Where can I watch "The People's Court: Marshall Islands/Liberia/Bahamas/Panama Edition"?

If I remember correctly from that time long ago that I actually read the contract, it stipulated -- and I'm paraphrasing -- that any disputes would be litigated in state or Federal courts in Miami-Dade; ditto arbitration.

1 hour ago, Cliff-FLL said:

If I remember correctly from that time long ago that I actually read the contract, it stipulated -- and I'm paraphrasing -- that any disputes would be litigated in state or Federal courts in Miami-Dade; ditto arbitration.

Did not know this--thanks.

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Try almost  57% increase. 

Well I still booked....  they softened the hit  by giving free gratuities and $1000 obc  for a 14 day. I was able to cancel 2 other cruises and roll both deposits into the one cruise.      Interesting enough,  my agent said the cruise was selling well.    Sept 20 departure AMS to LIS      I think a lot of people are just wound tight and willing to eat what ever increase just to have a hope  for the future.

A lot of people have FCCs and are using them for whatever is out there, realistic or not. So it seems like booking is going well. But it is a false impression. Would be interested in how many are actually giving deposits. But of course there is no way to know that. 

9 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

A lot of people have FCCs and are using them for whatever is out there, realistic or not. So it seems like booking is going well. But it is a false impression. Would be interested in how many are actually giving deposits. But of course there is no way to know that. 

But you can't  book without a deposit..... even with Future cruise credit.     I had a credit  but still had to pony up the deposit.

15 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

So it seems like booking is going well. But it is a false impression. Would be interested in how many are actually giving deposits

You need 13+ $1500 deposits to refund somebody $20K+ for a cancelled cruise - not a winning formula.

And if they offer reduced deposits as an incentive - well, you can do the math.

With this they haven't actually made any money per se, just covering cash payouts.

Edited by Paulchili

I received an email from O this morning urging me to use my FCC Certificate, purchased on board our Feb.-March cruise, to book a discounted 2020 or 2021 cruise. It clearly states no deposit will be required. The Certificate will serve as the deposit. How do they make any money on this since they already have my $700 ($350 pp) for the certificate? I guess they’re hoping I book something and end up paying for the cruise. We are not booking anything for 2020 and will wait for word about a vaccine before deciding on 2021.

2 hours ago, Riverroad said:

I received an email from O this morning urging me to use my FCC Certificate, purchased on board our Feb.-March cruise, to book a discounted 2020 or 2021 cruise. It clearly states no deposit will be required. The Certificate will serve as the deposit. 

A FCC certificate is a deposit.  You have just purchased a deposit before knowing what cruise you wanted to take. 

15 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

A FCC certificate is a deposit.  You have just purchased a deposit before knowing what cruise you wanted to take. 

Have to be careful with terminology. What is bought onboard is a future cruise deposit (FCD).  A FCC is a future cruise credit that people are getting because of cancellations both by the cruise line snd by the cruiser. In many cases a FCC cannot be used for a deposit depending on the Ts snd Cs

42 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I understand that. I’m just wondering why they’re encouraging me to use it now when it wouldn’t yield any revenue for them.

Just now, Riverroad said:

I understand that. I’m just wondering why they’re encouraging me to use it now when it wouldn’t yield any revenue for them.

You are more likely to take a cruise if you have already gone through the process of selecting it. Right now your FCD is just money. If you convert that into a specific cruise you are much more likely to take a cruise than if you did not.  

55 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I had my TA reprice Marina Baltic cruise for Aug. 29, 2021. I saved $500 for the cabin, had to give up $25 OBC. Cat F inside now $5398, was $5898.

How much deposit do they want on that?