Cruise Critic Community

Fed Ex just delivered the Crystal 30th Anniversary Cook Book. My cruise (the Flying Dutchman) was one of the 30th Anniversary special cruises (and, boy,  was it special)! 

Patty

Still waiting for mine. I cruise the first Jan. cruise (Calif. Coast). Hope it comes soon.

--Robert

1 hour ago, njguy_south said:

Still waiting for mine. I cruise the first Jan. cruise (Calif. Coast). Hope it comes soon.

--Robert

The shipping label says it was mailed April 9 from a Fort Lauderdale, Fl. address.

Patty

I would love to purchase one (our San Diego-Guam cruise in January didn't qualify and our May cruise was cancelled).  I contacted Crystal to see if we could order, but, no, they are not set up to process orders.

Posted (edited)

I was also booked on an Anniversary Theme cruise, probably the same one in May.  I can't check which segment it was because Crystal has deleted the cancelled segments from the website.  I suspect that there will be a lot of "extra" cookbooks for sale eventually because this was probably not the only such segment that was or will be cancelled.

Edited by SusieQft

I’m kind of hoping between the extras from the cancelled sailings and the opportunity to recoup some funding for the anniversary marketing expenses, that they might start selling the books in the fall instead of waiting until the entire campaign is over the way they’ve done in the past.  I can understand that they want to wait until later in the year to see if they want to do an anniversary campaign next year using the same materials, but I’m still hopeful to be able to buy a book sooner instead of later.  🤞

Vince

Maybe I should have an open bidding for my copy!! 😍 If I'm going to do that, I need to retrieve the box from my recycle bin as it was the perfect size. 😎

Patty

You might want to hang onto it a little longer, Patty...  If Crystal goes under (heaven forbid), it will be worth a little more if it happens before more of the book inventory goes to people that sailed on cruises.  (Wait, I should have kept that strategy to myself, should I?  haha)  J/K...

Vince

21 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I’m kind of hoping between the extras from the cancelled sailings and the opportunity to recoup some funding for the anniversary marketing expenses, that they might start selling the books in the fall instead of waiting until the entire campaign is over the way they’ve done in the past.  I can understand that they want to wait until later in the year to see if they want to do an anniversary campaign next year using the same materials, but I’m still hopeful to be able to buy a book sooner instead of later.  🤞

Vince

Vince, hopefully in-time they will be sold,  particularly if more cruises are cancelled.

A few days before we left Serenity in Sydney (not an anniversary cruise) guests received a letter to their rooms about the book and there was a form to turn into the desk for those who wanted to purchase the book.  Cost would be charged to shipboard account and book would be mailed to guests home.  

We have the dinner chargers from Crystal's 20th Anniversary Year Celebration (we purchased them on Symphony a year later at a huge discount 😀) so it would be nice to cook some of our favorite Crystal dishes and set the table with the Chargers.  This might help with the withdrawal we are presently going through until we can cruise again.  

Keith

I see that one of the desserts featured in the  cook book includes Portuguese Custards.  Ummm.  I wonder who might want to try one.  Now I didn't say make one but try one.  😀  I know at least one person comes to mind.  😇

Keith

27 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I see that one of the desserts featured in the  cook book includes Portuguese Custards.  Ummm.  I wonder who might want to try one.  Now I didn't say make one but try one.  😀  I know at least one person comes to mind.  😇

Keith

You can bet your bottom dollar that I will not be making them!! I can still see my grandmother making crusts. She used a marble rolling pin. I have it, plus the pottery canisters, but there was no inspiration that transferred with them!! 😍

Patty

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

I get to go to Belem daily when I am in Lisbon and get them hot out of the oven.  What a treat!  Hot or cold, no matter.

Chris

Ours arrived by FedEx today! according to the label it was shipped from FLL on Wednesday!!

My wife took one look at the recipe and process for making the Lamb Chops and said “just book another cruise! - it’s going to be a lot easier”

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

My wife took one look at the recipe and process for making the Lamb Chops and said “just book another cruise! - it’s going to be a lot easier”

It could be a very long wait for dinner thought!!!!! 😀😀

Anne..

Our cookbook just arrived today. It's big. And heavy! It's more of a coffee-table-type book than a stove-side kitchen recipe book. It is very nicely illustrated. Since we were on one of the only scheduled 30th anniversary cruises that actually sailed this year, perhaps it will become a collector's item...in about 50-70 years! 😃😂

Rob

CELEBRATING THIRTY YEARS OF CRYSTAL CUISINE.pdf

We, too, received our cookbook today, a reminder of the Flying Dutchman cruise...which we really enjoyed.  In a weird way, that cruise - with its ten straight sea days - helped prepare us for our current state of sheltering in place. 

Let's hope that the 40th anniversary edition of this book will be as good as this one is!

On 4/13/2020 at 9:36 PM, SusieQft said:

I was also booked on an Anniversary Theme cruise, probably the same one in May.  I can't check which segment it was because Crystal has deleted the cancelled segments from the website.  I suspect that there will be a lot of "extra" cookbooks for sale eventually because this was probably not the only such segment that was or will be cancelled.

I would not be too surprised if they will be on sale for a long time onboard.

10 hours ago, Psoque said:

I would not be too surprised if they will be on sale for a long time onboard.

Aside from what’s going on, they usually plan to (thankfully).  The 10th anniversary book sold for 6 or 7 years.

Vince

I'd be happy to make someone Lamb Chops or a Portuguese Tart in exchange for their cookbook.

They'd have to come to Palm Springs...

2 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I'd be happy to make someone Lamb Chops or a Portuguese Tart in exchange for their cookbook.

We (used to) visit Palm Springs about once a year.  But we don't have "THE COOKBOOK."

On 5/17/2020 at 1:25 AM, BWIVince said:

Aside from what’s going on, they usually plan to (thankfully).  The 10th anniversary book sold for 6 or 7 years.

Is this the one with the blue cover?  I just looked at it, showing a 1999 copyright date, but with no mention of "anniversary" that I noticed.

Were there any interim cookbooks between that one (1999) and the current "30th Anniversary" volume?

It is the book with the blue cover and the 1999 copyright...  I don't recall any compiled Crystal cookbooks being published since -- I would definitely have bought them too.  The blue book wasn't titled for the anniversary the way the current book is, but the various forwards give you a sense of how it was marketed to us at the time, looking back over the prior decades of Crystal's culinary achievements and partnerships they eventually developed.  It's one of my favorite Crystal mementos.  

Vince

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

If COVID-19 wasn't going on, you may have had a dozen people show up for your cooking! 

I am embarrassed to say I have not tried a Portuguese Tart but bought some at Costco several months ago (frozen). I may have to try them this weekend. I have no doubt it won't be anything like home made ones.

Edited by Coral