Cruise Critic Community

About this 1999 cookbook (hey that sounds like a Prince song) anyway, the recipes have got to be a bit dated.  Sincere questions: anyone cooking from it today, and if so, what? 

I'd be up to cooking for a dozen.  We were having block parties in our development and my last one was 30 people for BBQ theme.  I bought bandanas for napkins in all colors.  Happy to have them now repurposed for masks.

Still hoping for a cookbook

1999 Cookbook still available for purchase.  

https://www.chairish.com/product/835353/the-crystal-cruises-cookbook

Used copies.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Crystal-Cruises-Cookbook/dp/B000WEKNYM

Some additional information and highlights of a couple of items in the cookbook.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-dec-05-tr-40588-story.html

Ken Z....We use cookbooks at home that date back from the 1970's.  

Classic recipes are just that; Classic and to me are as enjoyable today as they were back in the day.

Keith

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

About this 1999 cookbook (hey that sounds like a Prince song) anyway, the recipes have got to be a bit dated.  Sincere questions: anyone cooking from it today, and if so, what? 

The recipes are totally dated, but that’s exactly why I buy cookbooks like that...  I love the historical perspective and in this case, memories.  I get current recipes online, those are a lot less interesting.  I buy cookbooks because they lock in those culinary memories to the era.

There are a few recipes in there that are still current menu (or popular request) items — the mushroom soup, escargot, Grand Mariner Soufflé, crab and Brie soup, Salzburger Nockerln and morel, asparagus and chicken ragout, among others.  There are a lot of others that are gone, but I’d still make, like the lobster with bread stuffing from Jacques Pepin and an awesome beef salad recipe from Barbara Tropp.

I have lots of old cookbooks I love — a cookbook from Doyle’s from the 80’s (bought in ‘94), a cookbook from the Greenbrier from a few years later, and a slew of stuff I fished out of my mother’s collection from the past 60 or so years.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

On 5/18/2020 at 12:54 PM, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I'd be happy to make someone Lamb Chops or a Portuguese Tart in exchange for their cookbook.

They'd have to come to Palm Springs...

OK - so I have never had a Portuguese Tart before but had bought some frozen ones from this brand at Costco and made them last night:

http://www.natapura.com/index2.html

They were to die for. So if frozen ones from Costco are that good - I can't even image what home made ones taste like! Yumm!

OMG! I have loved them in Lisbon and can’t wait to compare in Costco! I will go there this week!

Posted (edited)

I was supposed to arrive in Lisbon on Wednesday to meet the Symphony....Portuguese Tarts will have to wait until another time...sigh......

Edited by oakridger

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, socrafty said:

OMG! I have loved them in Lisbon and can’t wait to compare in Costco! I will go there this week!

I bought them months ago (maybe February) and I don't think they are still at my Costco. This is what the box looks like. I had done a search and other Costcos had them at different times. The brand is Nata Pura. It would be worth asking for them.

Unknown.jpeg.1aefdd77192a2434e3eb5a612cd82787.jpegnatapura.thumb.jpeg.9310506d160bd7b34614a8c243e41d06.jpeg

Edited by Coral

I will check it out. Thanks for the picture! It will help in the search!