Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sdnich

Would you cancel September Bos-Canada cruise or not??

Recommended Posts

My husband and I have been going back-and-forth about this. would you cancel your September trip knowing that our final payment is due the beginning of June?? I still owe $4500 on the trip and I hate to pay the amount and be unsure of the ease of traveling by September!! We already have flights also from Ca. to Boston ! We booked this for our 20th anniversary and I’ve been planning on it for a couple years! We were also heading to Costa Rica next week for part of our 20th anniversary amazing year of travel!!😐

what crazy times this is !! I know everyone might have a different idea of what they would want to do but just curious at some of the opinions here??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one knows what September will bring.  We have an October Med cruise booked and won't be making final payment.  Doubt it will sail, but even if it does we have no interest in cruising or flying then.   It was booked onboard so we only have a total deposit of 200.00.  Fortunately we haven't bought air for it.

 

Have B2B2B Caribbean in January 2021, will see how things look this fall as to final payment on those.

 

We splurged this past winter and did 6 weeks on ships in the Caribbean January-February.  Glad we did, cruising isn't going to be the same for a long time 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sdnich said:

My husband and I have been going back-and-forth about this. would you cancel your September trip knowing that our final payment is due the beginning of June?? I still owe $4500 on the trip and I hate to pay the amount and be unsure of the ease of traveling by September!! We already have flights also from Ca. to Boston ! We booked this for our 20th anniversary and I’ve been planning on it for a couple years! We were also heading to Costa Rica next week for part of our 20th anniversary amazing year of travel!!😐

what crazy times this is !! I know everyone might have a different idea of what they would want to do but just curious at some of the opinions here??

We have a September cruise booked. We won't cancel it. We are going to let Celebrity decide for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't cancel.  Celebrity will give you 100% of your money back or give you a 125% FCC.  The only issue would be airfare, but if you book through Celebrity, you'll get that a back as well if the cruises are cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No point in canceling now, especially if final payment is in June. That's when you'll need to make a decision if Celebrity hasn't made it for you at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I’m very glad we did our first B2B in October in the Caribbean!! Like I said we still owe $4500 and we have $2500 paid already !not sure if we want invest all this money considering I’m not working right now Since the shut down March 20 in California ! I really don’t want cruise credit since we have a cruise booked for 2021 already! I’ll probably just wait until final payment is due and make the final decision! We might just do a land trip since we really have flights and save $7000 and put it towards our 2021 Pacific coastal cruise!!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably wouldn't cancel now, but I also wouldn't make any final payments until the ships are sailing again.  I'd much rather keep the money in my pocket.  If the ships really are sailing in September and you still feel like sailing, I'll bet the price won't be any higher that your current fare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have Sep 26 out of Baltimore only 40 minute drive from my house. I doubt I'll be willing to give them any more of my money when final payment is due late June. I've already canceled all my cruise planner purchases for that cruise and waiting on those refunds. If they extend offer to get future cruise credit for the $250 nonrefundable deposit I'd take it but if not I'd take the $150 FCC (250 minus 100 admin fee).

 

Before final you'd probably be able to get a good chunk of the $2500 back as refund, right?

 

My sister is in Cambridge... definitely a lot to do in the Boston area if you flew in and toured the area in September.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We have a September cruise booked. We won't cancel it. We are going to let Celebrity decide for us. 
 

same thing for us  Hawaii in September.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was booked September 11 out of Boston and cancelled last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

I have Sep 26 out of Baltimore only 40 minute drive from my house. I doubt I'll be willing to give them any more of my money when final payment is due late June. I've already canceled all my cruise planner purchases for that cruise and waiting on those refunds. If they extend offer to get future cruise credit for the $250 nonrefundable deposit I'd take it but if not I'd take the $150 FCC (250 minus 100 admin fee).

 

Before final you'd probably be able to get a good chunk of the $2500 back as refund, right?

 

My sister is in Cambridge... definitely a lot to do in the Boston area if you flew in and toured the area in September.

I only have a $200. Deposit that we booked on a cruise and the $2500 is a payment we made a couple moths ago so totally refundable.We will pay to change flight because we do not need a 16 day land trip! Will probably change to a ten day and drive to Montreal? We have the last four at Marriott Longwarf ( already used the points) I will have backup plans since I still have at least two more weeks before I get to go back to work!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HAM said:

I was booked September 11 out of Boston and cancelled last week.

That is the cruise we are booked on !!! So sad I have been sooo excited!!😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, you have until June to make up your mind. Given the speed with which things are changing, it would be premature to decide now. While I personally doubt that things will be up and running by then, never say never.

 

Just keep an eye on the cruise and ensure that Celebrity doesn't change it to a Boston-Bahamas itinerary as they've done with others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As others have said, you have until June to make up your mind. Given the speed with which things are changing, it would be premature to decide now. While I personally doubt that things will be up and running by then, never say never.

 

Just keep an eye on the cruise and ensure that Celebrity doesn't change it to a Boston-Bahamas itinerary as they've done with others. 

Agree-- Eastern Canada is absolutely beautiful, plus, visiting Montreal and Quebec City offer so much cultural interest ( French and English ) and besides the American dollar premium buys more in Canada than the Bahamas. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Remember the full refund OR 125% FCC is the offer on cruises currently cancelled by Celebrity.  I wouldn't depend on the 125% offer on cruises they cancel in the future.  I agree with others.  Make the decision in June.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're on a 8/30 Mediteranean cruise with a refundable deposit and final payment date of 5/22. We've also booked air with ff miles. We'll decide before final payment date to either pay & risk the cruise  or cancel & get a refund. We hope, but do not expect, that things will be much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's going, but with only $200 tied up in deposits, I see no harm in waiting. I also see no reason to plan excursions or specialty dining or any of the other things I'd do because I knew I was going on a cruise.

 

If you have insurance (and perks), consider transferring to a future booking versus cancelling. You'll probably be able to move your trip insurance, and possibly your booked on board perks (I'm assuming for a $200 deposit). We did that for the cruise we should have been on last week. Postponed for other than COVID-19 reasons back in December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fouremco and I agree.  Wait until June.  Three things to consider then.

Will a 125% FCC be offered?

Do you want to risk tying up your money for 3 or 4 months?

Where will that cruise go?  Canada a thumbs up.  Bermuda not so good.

If by your final payment date things are still closed down and covid19 is active do you think cruising will resume?  Universities in the US are making plans to continue the fall semester/quarter online - keeping campuses closed till 2021.

Sorry to sound negative but things will need to: get lots better, then have a relaxing of stay at home orders WITHOUT an increase in covid, then cruiselines come up with a real plan, then get their crews back to the ships.

All that will take time.  How much do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sdnich said:

My husband and I have been going back-and-forth about this. would you cancel your September trip knowing that our final payment is due the beginning of June?? I still owe $4500 on the trip and I hate to pay the amount and be unsure of the ease of traveling by September!! We already have flights also from Ca. to Boston ! We booked this for our 20th anniversary and I’ve been planning on it for a couple years! We were also heading to Costa Rica next week for part of our 20th anniversary amazing year of travel!!😐

what crazy times this is !! I know everyone might have a different idea of what they would want to do but just curious at some of the opinions here??

We have a cruise booked for Sept and will wait for them to cancel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also booked on the September 11 Summit sailing from Boston.  My personal opinion is that this cruise will not take place.  However, I am not cancelling just yet.  I will wait and cancel before final payment is due (I have a refundable deposit). As a side note:  for my two cancelled May sailings I've opted for the 100% refund and have been told the refunds are taking anywhere between 30 and 90 days!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t cancel anything for September.   Things are looking better in NY and in Canada for COVID 19.   I would use a credit card for the final payment to offer some protection but let’s hope things, at least in this hemisphere, are better by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, davekathy said:

We have a September cruise booked. We won't cancel it. We are going to let Celebrity decide for us. 

My. plan as well for our Sept. TP, and December Caribbean.  I do have a caveat, however: X is requiring a doctor's letter for pax over 70 , and I fall into that category, so I'l be paying her a visit prior to final pay.  Don't want to wait to get the letter and find out after final that I can't go and then have to cancel on my own and lose $$$!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I wouldn’t cancel anything for September.   Things are looking better in NY and in Canada for COVID 19.   I would use a credit card for the final payment to offer some protection but let’s hope things, at least in this hemisphere, are better by then.

I don't know where you are getting your information on Canada, but the GOC continues to assess the risk level as high and the number of cases and deaths continue to climb. The Province of Quebec, the turnaround destination for these cruises, including two days in Quebec City, continues to be the Canadian hotspot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a September 4 Alaska cruise booked and are waiting until June to make a decision. If Celebrity has extended the Cruise with Confidence beyond September 1 and if things are improving, we will make final and wait. We  had booked airfare through Celebrity but cancelled and booked with AA award miles.  We just received an email from American Airlines concerning reinstatement of miles with no fees if cancelled 60 days before departure and a small fee if less than 60 days before departure. I cannot envision this cruise sailing, but miracles do happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I wouldn’t cancel anything for September.   Things are looking better in NY and in Canada for COVID 19.   I would use a credit card for the final payment to offer some protection but let’s hope things, at least in this hemisphere, are better by then.

 

The number of new cases is dropping. But you flatten an epi curve by extending it. Lower number of cases spread over a longer period of time that allows you to deal with the hospital burden of the severe cases. So it's great that the number of new cases is declining, but that doesn't mean the epidemic in New York will end earlier, it could actually go longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...