Back to back cruising in different cabins

njpln

Hello All,

In light of the fact that our this year b2b cruises will be cancelled,  I’m looking at adding/booking a second cruise to one we already had booked for next year. Having already booked a cabin, I can’t get the same one on the second cruise.  As I see it we have 2 options, change cabins on port day, or try to get a different cabin on the existing booking. 

This leads me to 2 questions for the Cunard cruisers who have much more experience with Cunard than we do.

1.  How much of a hassle is it to change cabins on Cunard?  We have done it on another Cruise line and we basically had to pack up everything, and unpack again...I would have liked to at least move the hanging clothes without packing them again but it was not an option.  Is it the same on Cunard?

2.  What happens if you want to change cabins in an existing booking, within the same class of cabin?  Do they make you do a new booking or will they let you switch cabins within the same fare class?

Maybe there are other options I haven’t considered?

Appreciate any advice.....thanks .

Norma

We changed cabins on a back-to-back. I think that we did not have to take clothes off of hangers, but I honestly can't swear to it. I thought, in the end, it was actually a little less of a production than I was afraid it was going to be. Hopefully someone else can chime in to see if my memory is correct.

We changed cabins and only had to pack loose items. Everything on hangers was moved for us and put into the wardrobes for us in the same order as we had them originally (the garments in the first wardrobe back in the first one etc). If we did this again I would hang all the tee shirts to reduce the packing. We were given our new room cards on the last evening of the first leg and had to swipe out with our old card and in with the new even though we didn't get off at Southampton - we gave the cards to security and they swiped them. It was so easy.

Only slight delay we had one time was when the old room hangers were of the hotel type, where the ring stays on the rail, and the new room had hook on hangers meaning all the clothes had to be transferred onto new hangers. But this was all done for us, it just took ten or fifteen minutes longer.

We have done a B2B only once: a QM2 Québec-New York-Southampton voyage in 2017.  We booked the segments separately because we needed two segments to reach Diamond status in the World Club.  We chose two types of staterooms.

We had read many comments that it would not be necessary to pack clothing that is on hangars. Our steward advised that the rules had changed and we would have to pack everything. He even asked his supervisor who confirmed that. It wasn’t a big problem and we didn’t have to put our cases out the night before arrival in N.Y.  He told us to just leave them in the room when we got off the ship and they would be moved for us. Our flowers were also moved for us.

The biggest nuisance was having to get off the ship, go through border control, through security and wait until the US officials gave us permission to re-board. The  in-transit passengers who were not actually going anywhere were allowed to re-board ahead of the embarking passengers, which was appreciated.  As has been said earlier, the new cards are issued  in advance so we did not have to check-in for the second segment.

We could have kept the same restaurant table but we asked to change.  The other six at our table were all disembarking at New York and we moved to a table in another section of the restaurant which was presided over by our favourite assistant maitre d’.

We have changed cabins in our booking and changed cabins on the ship.  I would first try to change your cabin in your existing booking.  Your travel agent or Cunard should be able to tell you which cabins are available for both segments of your voyage.  If you are simply changing the booking from one cabin to another within the same class, that should not change anything about your booking.  Again, your agent or Cunard should be able to tell you all the options available.  This is a very easy thing to do and there should be cabins available since your cruise is for next year.  

We have also changed cabins on a voyage.  It was a little inconvenient but not that bad.  If you can book cabins on the same deck that helps tremendously.  Sometimes you  even keep the same cabin attendant.  We were fortunate that they moved our clothes on the hangers.  Our experience was that Cunard tried to make things as easy as possible. 

Good luck with whatever option you choose.  Have a fabulous voyage.

Last year we had booked the two-week WB crossing via Iceland, with our thought to fly into Heathrow and spend a few days in Winchester before traveling to Southampton to board. We had a deck 8 unobstructed balcony cabin booked. When we started pricing flights, hotels, etc. we realized we could book the prior week's EB crossing for less. Our cabin wasn't available for the EB leg and we ended up booking a deck 6 inside. Changing cabins at Southampton was easy - we packed up (never even asked about keeping clothes on hangars), called the Purser's desk to let them know we were ready to go, and they took care of everything for us. We disembarked to do our own walking tour - used our old cards to leave the ship and the new ones (given to us the previous day) to re-board. No need to wait in lines. Our bags were waiting in our new cabin. All very easy.