Carnaval expected to cruise again sooner than ppl think.

seaman11

I only brought up the sports aspect as far as fans in attendance goes (nothing to do with the billionaire owners or millionaire players finances). If they do not allow fans in the stands, it will be hard to imagine other industries such as cruise lines being allowed to sail with 2 or 3 thousand people on board.

As for sports coming back, I'm all for it, even with nobody in attendance. As long as they can provide a safe environment for the players and others involved, they should go ahead and do it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, webzila said:

This is not really news or surprising. Carnival is just complying with CDC guidelines and listing June 27 as the day they will resume because CDC restriction is through June 26 (as of right now)

its till july though  , hence the article 

On 4/14/2020 at 2:41 PM, JT1962 said:

Realize that this is the 3rd time they have posted expected sailing dates after cruises were canceled in March, then April and now May and most of June. Expecting to and actually sailing are very different things. Hopefully they will, but I doubt many, if any of those listed will sail on those dates. There are a lot of logistics and requirements to start sailing again - getting all crew members on board, having the departure ports open, flights to the departure cities being available for passengers, etc. I see these postings of sail dates as more of a PR and sales pitch to keep customers hopeful and possibly have some new bookings to keep some new cash coming in.

I quite agree. Keeping the cash flowing in has got to be tantamount in their business planning these days. I'm not in the cruise business but I can see many pitfalls on such an early opening many of which have been previously named; opened ports, flights, typical crowding on cruise ships, etc. Starting to see my August cruise in possible jeopardy. 😞

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 5:41 PM, JT1962 said:

Realize that this is the 3rd time they have posted expected sailing dates after cruises were canceled in March, then April and now May and most of June. Expecting to and actually sailing are very different things. Hopefully they will, but I doubt many, if any of those listed will sail on those dates. There are a lot of logistics and requirements to start sailing again - getting all crew members on board, having the departure ports open, flights to the departure cities being available for passengers, etc. I see these postings of sail dates as more of a PR and sales pitch to keep customers hopeful and possibly have some new bookings to keep some new cash coming in.

Look at this article. Princess trying to get Filipino crew members home and The Philippines won't allow them to disembark - their own citizens!

http://crew-center.com/sun-princess-filipino-crew-not-allowed-disembark-manila?fbclid=IwAR1R0GTCQf3miwnUUpORlyzqeG3Tg0hjLrcj22NBHcMcL_xfqyUkMMGVVYk

On 4/14/2020 at 6:51 PM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The CDC (and its enforcement partner, the U.S. Coast Guard) will make that decision domestically ... and other countries' port authorities will make the decisions there. Carnival, Royal and NCL are just along for the ride.

Read through the CDC order again. Those requirements won't magically disappear June 28, folks. And the CDC won't suddenly declare "yippee, global health emergency over!! Go back to living like you did in January."

Yes, read it again. Because the CDC doesn't necessarily call the shots - most people seem to overlook the first condition. The Secretary of Health and Human Services is a political appointee, and we all know someone is chomping at the bit to reopen commerce.

"This Order renews the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

14 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes, read it again. Because the CDC doesn't necessarily call the shots - most people seem to overlook the first condition. The Secretary of Health and Human Services is a political appointee, and we all know someone is chomping at the bit to reopen commerce.

"This Order renews the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

Yes, there is someone at the top who desperately wants the economy to get back going again. That is far from the priority of the CDC. 

Well folks, I'm still trying to stay positive. I'm hoping for our June 27th cruise, which I doubt will happen, but if it does and we can get there we will go. I'm an FR been working regular shifts and extra shifts is it concerning, yes. Do I have a few co-workers in isolation yes, but I'm still trying to stay positive that this trip will happen because if it doesn't I'll have to wait until February 2021 to enjoy a vacation with my family (Have to work around my better half's teaching schesule). Like all of us going thru this I need a break and a vacation. Stay safe everyone and try to stay positive.

• Like 3

On 4/15/2020 at 8:11 AM, mdin said:

Major sports leagues are discussing the possibility of resuming in June, but with no fans in attendance. This may even carry over to football in the fall. Until these leagues are allowed to have fans in attendance (even in reduced capacity), I don't see how cruise ships will be allowed to sail.

There's a difference between 75,000-100,000 people at a college or NFL game and 5,000 on a cruise ship.  I believe cruising will be back before fully attended sporting events are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

There's a difference between 75,000-100,000 people at a college or NFL game and 5,000 on a cruise ship.  I believe cruising will be back before fully attended sporting events are.

I hope you're right and those that have summer cruises booked are able to sail. My main concern is if sporting events are allowed 0 fans, then I'm not sure how they justify cruises to have any passengers. Now, if/when stadiums are allowed to have spectators (even at a reduced capacity), then cruise lines should be able to get the green light.

1 hour ago, mdin said:

I hope you're right and those that have summer cruises booked are able to sail. My main concern is if sporting events are allowed 0 fans, then I'm not sure how they justify cruises to have any passengers. Now, if/when stadiums are allowed to have spectators (even at a reduced capacity), then cruise lines should be able to get the green light.

I think the plan they are working on now is to get sports back on TV ASAP so they will have to do it without fans at first and then phase them in. There is talk of starting MLB at the Spring training facilities in Arizona which is in pretty good shape with the virus. There is also talk of starting the PGA in early June, this should be a no brainer, kind of hard to watch in person anyway and definitely a no contact sport. 

I also heard on TV last week that a company with the antibody test is doing 100O + people random studies in Santa Clara, CA and another in Los Angeles. They are also doing one with every employee in MLB, that makes sense now. Anyway, things are happening fast so predicting the future even a few weeks out is impossible.  Staying positive works for me, others are more comfortable with a dooms day prospective. It seems to me that we are starting to turn a corner, I hope so! 

• Like 5

I read that cargo ships are testing their crew for the virus before they can board.  I am thinking that Carnival could test all passengers.  A lot of tests I know but it's better than not sailing at all.  Maybe reduced number of passengers?  I just want to cruise!

• Like 2

Saw this on Yahoo yesterday....

Neither suspension is as long as those implemented by competing cruise companies. Holland America Line, Carnival Cruise Line and Princess Cruises have extended sailing suspensions through late June.  

Carnival said Monday it would extend its cancellation period through June 27. On Tuesday, Holland America and Princess said it would do so through June 30. 

Holland America has also cancelled all of its Alaska journeys for summer 2020  and all of its "Land+Sea Journeys," which consist of an Alaska cruise plus a land-based tour to Denali and the Yukon, according to the line's announcement posted to their blog.

I read that cargo ships are testing their crew for the virus before they can board.  I am thinking that Carnival could test all passengers.  A lot of tests I know but it's better than not sailing at all.  Maybe reduced number of passengers?  I just want to cruise!
That would be great, except cruise ships have way more passengers and crew than cargo ships, and you would have to test them at every boarding and debarkation.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

I think the plan they are working on now is to get sports back on TV ASAP so they will have to do it without fans at first and then phase them in. There is talk of starting MLB at the Spring training facilities in Arizona which is in pretty good shape with the virus. There is also talk of starting the PGA in early June, this should be a no brainer, kind of hard to watch in person anyway and definitely a no contact sport. 

I also heard on TV last week that a company with the antibody test is doing 100O + people random studies in Santa Clara, CA and another in Los Angeles. They are also doing one with every employee in MLB, that makes sense now. Anyway, things are happening fast so predicting the future even a few weeks out is impossible.  Staying positive works for me, others are more comfortable with a dooms day prospective. It seems to me that we are starting to turn a corner, I hope so! 

I read a preliminary report regarding the antibodies test in SC County, sounds promising. The test involved 3000 people. News outlets are publishing the report. Google it. Have a good night.

2 hours ago, MEUB1112 said:

I read a preliminary report regarding the antibodies test in SC County, sounds promising. The test involved 3000 people. News outlets are publishing the report. Google it. Have a good night.

Yes, I have seen the results in Santa Clara, so good so far. The one they did with MLB should be very enlightening, it includes samples from all employees. The athletes will just be a small part of the sample, they tested all willing employees, ushers, office, food workers, athletes and executives all across the country. It will hopefully give a great window into what is happening with the virus in our country. 

I believe that we will get past this but it will involve changes that will become accepted as the new normal. I don’t think they will be extreme, more like minor inconveniences like taking off your shoes, and everything scanned at the airport. Personal hygiene will become the new box cutters regarding personal security but it will involve every aspect of our daily lives so will have a bigger impact than 9-11. 

On the other hand, we are who we are and I have faith that we will rise to the occasion. Now is the time to step up and lead the way, be bold and use our imagination and ingenuity to find a new way, we can do this! There is a path to defeat the virus and save our country at the same time. Is it a guarantee? Absolutely not, but just as likely as the doomsayers that say cruise ships will never sail again and life as we know it is over.

The one thing that I am 100% sure of is that absolutely no one knows what is going to happen in the next year. Anyone that proclaims they do, whether they be a politician, TV talking head, social media guru or a lowly poster on a cruise critic forum, they are kidding them selves if they think they do. 

• Like 4

On 4/16/2020 at 3:30 PM, bluesea321 said:

Any one that thinks the CDC is not serious about cruise ships may want to read this article in Business Week; particularly the comments by Cindy Friedman, the epidemiologist who leads the CDC’s cruise ship task force.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-carnival-cruise-coronavirus/?srnd=businessweek-v2

Superb.

The CDC does not appear to share the "optimism" of some folks here. The CDC order makes that abundantly clear. And that's hugely important because the CDC is about science, not just hope & wishes.

Carnival may well want to concentrate its resources right now on dreaming up a defense to the approaching tsunami of lawsuits.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/passengers-sue-cruise-lines-over-coronavirus-exposures/ar-BB12NHhm

• Like 1

I think the fact that Carnival is using several of their ships to sail across the globe to bring their crew members home shows just how confident they are things will resume soon. I'm suddenly not feeling confident in my Aug 29th Panorama cruise anymore. I hope I'm wrong though.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:30 PM, seaman11 said:

well i dont think they will start full swing, only a few select ports and limited pax on board at first. 

NY and alaska i think they are out, as well as cruises to canada. 

Not sure how they could limit the passengers when these cruises already have bookings.  You cannot pick and choose who sails and who doesn't.  Do they make money on half full ships?  What is the break even number?

On 4/16/2020 at 10:35 PM, mdin said:

Airplanes are still flying.  A lot of them have reported higher demand in 90 plus days and many will be restarting more long haul flying as early as late May and June. 

• Like 1

They are still flying, but a lot of planes have been grounded and many of those flights don't have as many passengers. When you say 90+ days, you mean from now? That I can see. I'm sure people are hoping to be able to travel this summer and may be buying tickets at low prices.