Carnaval expected to cruise again sooner than ppl think.

seaman11

11 hours ago, TerReuv said:

You cannot pick and choose who sails and who doesn't.  Do they make money on half full ships?  What is the break even number?

Who knows what the cruise lines are going to do, but that could be a possible  solution.  They would limit the number of cruisers and offer refunds to those who booked after a certain date.  Doubt it will happen, but it's  anybody's guess as to how the industry is going to come out the back end of this thing.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:56 AM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

No, really ... Carnival will not be cruising again sooner than people think. 

This crisis is far, far from over:

https://crew-center.com/costa-cruises-doctor-dies-after-testing-positive-covid-19

Whilst on the face of It, the CDC's announcement that sailing can restart in July sounds really good, would you really feel safe boarding a ship knowing that the nation is still suffering with Covid19 ?  I know I certainly wouldn't be going on a cruise until at least the new year.

Let us all just hope & pray this thing comes to a quick and safe end one way or another.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeroWA said:

Whilst on the face of It, the CDC's announcement that sailing can restart in July sounds really good, would you really feel safe boarding a ship knowing that the nation is still suffering with Covid19 ?  I know I certainly wouldn't be going on a cruise until at least the new year.

Let us all just hope & pray this thing comes to a quick and safe end one way or another.

Actually, the CDC order in no way means that sailing can restart in July - only that it absolutely won't start before then. 

That order leaves CLIA and its clients with many months to come up with a plan for cruising safely - or to concede that they can't. 

On 4/14/2020 at 7:38 PM, eileen2664 said:

I wish I could believe that but since they also said they were restarting in April and again in May I'm trigger shy (not saying it's their fault of course).  I really want to rebook in July since our April, then June, cruises were cancelled but holding off for now.

I feel the same way. I have a cruise picked out for the middle of July but I'm waiting to book as well. 

Pat

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Who knows what the cruise lines are going to do, but that could be a possible  solution.  They would limit the number of cruisers and offer refunds to those who booked after a certain date.  Doubt it will happen, but it's  anybody's guess as to how the industry is going to come out the back end of this thing.

I would think that with all the cancellations they have received worrying about too many cruisers compared to their idea of a limited number would be the least of their problems.

IMHO, their biggest problem once they restart will be having no new incidents. They definitely cannot stand more new horrible publicity.

• Like 1

IMHO, their biggest problem once they restart will be having no new incidents. They definitely cannot stand more new horrible publicity.

I totally agree. If some of the first ships that sail have Covid-19 cases and get quarantined, the CDC will shut down cruises for much longer. Those that love cruising should be hoping the cruise lines take the time to get it right the first time rather than hoping that they sail quickly.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The original article stated that Carnival expected to cruise earlier.  Like the end of June although some ships and lines might take until the end of the year.  The problem is twofold.  You can continue the current policy and experience a serious depression or you can take the risk of thousands of additional cases of the virus with  probably additional deaths.  I don't have the answer and it looks like neither does the President, Congress, our Governors and even some doctors.  

I just returned form a Magic cruise in March and am booked for a January 9, 2021 cruise on the Horizon.  At the moment, I even have doubts about my January cruise.  On the March cruise, there was considerable doubt that we would be able to leave the ship as scheduled.  In the end it was not a problem but really messes up a cruise.  I hope I can sale in January and be able to get off the ship normally.

Again I don't have the answer but if you look back in history at the Spanish Virus of 2018. there are considerable comparisons.  To make matters even worse, we were also fighting WW1 at the same time.  People don't realize that the virus affected the outcome of some of the major battles with both countries (US and Germany).  It was world wide as it is now.  Some how, some way, we got though it all.

Since I can't change matters, I guess I will just sit back and hope the right decision is some how made.  I continue to plan for the cruise but with some doubts.  Been on 23 Cruises (All Carnival) and enjoyed them all.  First time, however, that I ever went through anything like the current situation. 

37 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I would think that with all the cancellations they have received worrying about too many cruisers compared to their idea of a limited number would be the least of their problems.

That's key. If one ship has a quarantine situation, the whole industry could be forced to stop sailing once again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mdin said:

That's key. If one ship has a quarantine situation, the whole industry could be forced to stop sailing once again.

Not only that, but I think their passenger base would just disappear. Can you imagine the bad publicity, and of course lawsuits, that would happen if another quarantine episode on a ship happened right after they started sailing again.

On 4/14/2020 at 4:18 PM, fin said:

If they do resume in June, it will be truly interesting to see how many empty cabins they sail with.

Since so many of the crew has been sent home - they may have to sail about half full. 

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not only that, but I think their passenger base would just disappear. Can you imagine the bad publicity, and of course lawsuits, that would happen if another quarantine episode on a ship happened right after they started sailing again.

I believe the legal departments at the cruise lines will be busy for years with the lawsuits already filed against them for passenger and crew deaths. Expect many,

many more to come. 

Also look for more class actions bu surviving passengers on those ill-advised February and March cruises.

Also, we shouldn't be surprised by any criminal investigations or governmental hearings - either in the U.S. or abroad. Australia already has one going. 

15 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

I believe the legal departments at the cruise lines will be busy for years with the lawsuits already filed against them for passenger and crew deaths. Expect many,

many more to come. 

Also look for more class actions bu surviving passengers on those ill-advised February and March cruises.

Also, we shouldn't be surprised by any criminal investigations or governmental hearings - either in the U.S. or abroad. Australia already has one going. 

I agree that there will be many lawsuits, but wonder if that is fair. The cruise lines did not have the information in February or March that we now have. Look at some of the threads that date back that far and you will see mostly a whole different attitude than you see now. Try to remember what President Trump was saying a few months ago compared to now.

• Like 3