CDC Updates Issued 4/15

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

True -- they are just as opaque.  HAL (Carnival) at least cancelled all its Summer Alaska cruises. 

I think that HAL didn’t have the one way Alaska trips from Seattle otherwise I would think they would have left those just as Princess did.  Up until yesterday Princess was still selling all their Alaska cruises through mid May and June despite the Bsn on Canadian ports.  

All the cruise lines  are following their their own agenda and not fully complying with the orders although the order does leave the possibility for an early return so I can see not immediately cancelling to the full 100 day mark.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I think that HAL didn’t have the one way Alaska trips from Seattle otherwise I would think they would have left those just as Princess did.  Up until yesterday Princess was still selling all their Alaska cruises through mid May and June despite the Bsn on Canadian ports.  

All the cruise lines  are following their their own agenda and not fully complying with the orders although the order does leave the possibility for an early return so I can see not immediately cancelling to the full 100 day mark.  

If it were only the 100 days that mattered...the new health and safety requirements that go along with the mandate, as well as port closures, are not conducive to an earlier return to service, much to my chagrin. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Thanks for the link. If you click on read more, they bury the refund offer in the lower part. It does extend the refund date but it’s a little confusing to me. They say you can choose a refund up until 12/31/2021 to request a refund???  It says payment should be received in 30 days after request. 

2F7C02A0-B234-4336-A8A8-D1A06CF2D945.png

Yes, correct - I edited my post to add the refund - caught that when I clicked on the read more button. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Given the fact I don’t see a fleet of hospital ships, quarantine ships, medical ships and the cruiselines installing a fully functional hospital equivalent to a land based hospital on every ship by July 26th, I am guessing that that cruise is sadly likely not going to happen.   

I hope it does as that means covid just disappeared from the face of the earth,  but the chances are sadly looking pretty slim.

I agree.  We don't have our hopes up too high.  I'm just hoping that, if we need to cancel, our FCC that was applied to this July cruise goes back to the original correct dollar amounts and doesn't get lost in the process somehow.  (we cancelled our March 22, 2020 cruise before the option of a refund existed, only 100% FCC).

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They can leave. 

So Brilliance can sail from Gulf of Mexico to Amsterdam and my June 12 cruise is still not cancelled, right?   I am waiting for the cancel email so I can request and wait for a refund.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are no one-way cruises between Seattle and Alaska, as it would violate the PVSA.

12 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

There are no one-way cruises between Seattle and Alaska, as it would violate the PVSA.

There was some discussion in DC in the last two weeks about suspending the PVSA so critical supplies could be moved between U.S. ports by foreign-flagged vessels. Don't know if that proposal went anywhere, however.

SNIT13--We're booked on Brilliance May 17th Amsterdam 12 day Baltic. RCI appears to still be selling this itinerary through the summer, but I received an email from Delta cancelling our ATL-AMS flights.

I'm checking Royal's website every day, figuring that my trip will be cancelled,  especially now that CDC has published this updated directive on cruising. I'd certainly be willing to take 125%FCC, but I'm disappointed to see that based on current schedules, next year's Baltic cruise itinerary will be on Jewel instead of Brilliance.

I love cruising, and will go again when we can, but I miss the daydreaming and planning, since we have no clue when this will be a possibility again.

Just an added comment: I know my inability to take my long-planned vacation is a small inconvenience next to the severe health and economic distress currently affecting so many, but a person can dream ...

Barb in GA

• Like 2

The Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services' declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

Not likely that Health and Human Services will drop the emergency.  The governent is going to keep extending 2-3 weeks at a time until the fall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

The Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services' declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

Not likely that Health and Human Services will drop the emergency.  The governent is going to keep extending 2-3 weeks at a time until the fall.

Everything I read says not to count on life getting back to normal until fall of 2021.  Major sporting events, parades, etc. will not happen until there is a vaccine or most of the country is immune.  I don't know what will happen to the cruise industry, but 5,000 people on cruise will create unnecessary health issues.  They are already, even if unjustly, being blamed for part of the problem.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barb in ga said:

SNIT13--We're booked on Brilliance May 17th Amsterdam 12 day Baltic. RCI appears to still be selling this itinerary through the summer, but I received an email from Delta cancelling our ATL-AMS flights.

I'm checking Royal's website every day, figuring that my trip will be cancelled,  especially now that CDC has published this updated directive on cruising. I'd certainly be willing to take 125%FCC, but I'm disappointed to see that based on current schedules, next year's Baltic cruise itinerary will be on Jewel instead of Brilliance.

I love cruising, and will go again when we can, but I miss the daydreaming and planning, since we have no clue when this will be a possibility again.

Just an added comment: I know my inability to take my long-planned vacation is a small inconvenience next to the severe health and economic distress currently affecting so many, but a person can dream ...

Barb in GA

Barb,

We are booked on Delta too but TPA to AMS.  Really prefer refund to 125% FCC as I could use the $$$ to pay for my Celebrity Connie cruise April 2021.  We have Eruail passes and they have given us a 12 month extension thus we could book Europe 2021 and being a planner I already have identified cruise choices to substitute for 2020.  We also have the issue of being 65+ and I have medical issues that would most likely prevent me from cruising under current rules.  I too am dreaming.  By the way have sailed Jewel twice and Brilliance once and believe they are sister ships.

Grace

3 hours ago, theaden said:

The days and dates DO NOT MATTER.   What matters is that the CDC (and the world) need to believe that cruising is safe, and cruises can take care of themselves without reliance on the US (or likely other countries if they follow the CDC lead) for support every time an outbreak occurs.  The CDC will just keep extending this until either we hit herd immunity (I hope not as in that case millions And millions of people across the world will have died) or we get a vaccine.  

Until the CDC no longer views cruising as a threat to public health ships won’t be sailing.  It’s the sad reality we are in at this point.

• Like 4

I realize this is on a MUCH DIFFERENT SCALE, but .....will the CDC also crack down on the airline industry, the hotel/motel industry, the food service industry?

I travel with work, and have received e-mails from everyone above, even rental car companies, that all say....we are going to clean better......we promise!  (These emails make me think, didn’t you clean before?)

Over the past 30 years of my travel I have seen ....cleaning.....suffer in airplanes, restaurants, hotels... while at the same time been impressed at times with the cleanliness of cruise ships.  

CDC cracking down only on ships, will they set a lesser due to scale but equally appropriate standard for others?

(Oh,, been in food service in a past life, so I still see less than cleanly practices sometimes, that people not in that industry may not notice.)

Eddie

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I realize this is on a MUCH DIFFERENT SCALE, but .....will the CDC also crack down on the airline industry, the hotel/motel industry, the food service industry?

I travel with work, and have received e-mails from everyone above, even rental car companies, that all say....we are going to clean better......we promise!  (These emails make me think, didn’t you clean before?)

Over the past 30 years of my travel I have seen ....cleaning.....suffer in airplanes, restaurants, hotels... while at the same time been impressed at times with the cleanliness of cruise ships.  

CDC cracking down only on ships, will they set a lesser due to scale but equally appropriate standard for others?

(Oh,, been in food service in a past life, so I still see less than cleanly practices sometimes, that people not in that industry may not notice.)

Eddie

Agreed that the airline fiasco is a tough one to figure out.  How do you stuff 200 people in a tin can 20,000 feet in the air with recirculating air and prevent an outbreak of an airborne virus?  BUT, airlines pay US taxes so they will likely also be subject to following new policies set forth by the US dept of health

3 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Eddie

It is not outside the realm of possibility.  The biggest difference is that nothing other than nursing homes, prisons, and cruise ships have seemed to transmit this as fast as anything else.  Likely dorms, but colleges let our before this nailed the colleges and you have a very young population there as well.

The CDC could definitely have guidelines though.

• Like 1

I agree addidas

I have heard, but have no idea if it’s true, that airlines could install new filters which could mostly eliminate airborne viruses.  

I also remember a time when it would require a second date before I had as much body contact as I have with the person sitting next to me on a plane.

Eddie

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

Agreed that the airline fiasco is a tough one to figure out.  How do you stuff 200 people in a tin can 20,000 feet in the air with recirculating air and prevent an outbreak of an airborne virus?  BUT, airlines pay US taxes so they will likely also be subject to following new policies set forth by the US dept of health

Interestingly there have been no specific flights associated with a major outbreak.

airlines seeded the globe But strangely most of the time people did not get infected from flights.   Even flights with known covid passengers in which they did contact tracing.  Very rarely were others getting infected from a plane.

Its really interesting that more transmission has not occurred on airplanes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Eddie

The food industry is the WORST! I’m all for trying to help local restaurants stay open, but at the same time am shocked at how many people are ordering take out right now.

I know someone who works for a caterer in my town who is not only operating out of an illegal kitchen, without a current business license, but who has also been told by the health department to cease and desist operations. This caterer is currently the sole provider of food to the senior center for the ENTIRE TOWN!

He delivers food in a personal vehicle that hasn’t been cleaned or sanitized in over 5 years, the kitchen the food is being cooked in doesn’t even have a bottle of soap in it, and the owner and “chef” licks his fingers and then uses his bare hands to stir salads and lemonade. Absolutely disgusting.  My friend reports that the other staff working in the kitchen are not much better, and the younger folks have been going to parties and bbqs in their free time, not practicing any sort of social distancing.  

I’m really conflicted about wanting to report him, and wanting to stay out of it, realizing that the senior center is responsible for checking licensing and health practices, and not wanting to be personally responsible for kicking a small business when they’re down. 

My larger point being - from what I have heard and seen myself in the food industry, I’d rather eat dry cereal every day than risk ordering food from any restaurant or catering business right now, knowing full well that a good number of kitchens simply can’t or won’t change their health and safety practices. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I know someone who works for a caterer in my town who is not only operating out of an illegal kitchen, without a current business license, but who has also been told by the health department to cease and desist operations. This caterer is currently the sole provider of food to the senior center for the ENTIRE TOWN!

He delivers food in a personal vehicle that hasn’t been cleaned or sanitized in over 5 years, the kitchen the food is being cooked in doesn’t even have a bottle of soap in it, and the owner and “chef” licks his fingers and then uses his bare hands to stir salads and lemonade. Absolutely disgusting.  My friend reports that the other staff working in the kitchen are not much better, and the younger folks have been going to parties and bbqs in their free time, not practicing any sort of social distancing.  

I’m really conflicted about wanting to report him, and wanting to stay out of it, realizing that the senior center is responsible for checking licensing and health practices, and not wanting to be personally responsible for kicking a small business when they’re down. 

My larger point being - from what I have heard and seen myself in the food industry, I’d rather eat dry cereal every day than risk ordering food from any restaurant or catering business right now, knowing full well that a good number of kitchens simply can’t or won’t change their health and safety practices. 

I'm not a fan of taking a one off situation and extrapolating it to the entire food industry.

Dan

• Like 1