Cruise Critic Community
Medusa

NO REFUND FOR DUTCH GUESTS???

So, maybe I'm missing something, but this is the message we received this morning. Nowhere does it state we can choose a full refund now that our cruise has been cancelled by HAL. Or does anybody read this otherwise? Not sure if we would prefer a refund, but it seems strange and rather unfair we in The Netherlands don't get the same "treatment" as those in the US. I can only imagine some guests might want to put their money towards another type of holiday and are now "stuck" or maybe suddenly have found themselves in a situation were the money they put towards their cruise is needed in another way. Has anybody else received this particular message? Or only those that booked their Rotterdam office?

Holland America Line | A Message from Orlando Ashford

15 April 2020

Dear Valued Guest,

Due to continued travel restrictions, port closures, and surrounding global health concerns, along with the recent recommendation by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to extend their previously announced “No Sail Order,” Holland America Line has made the difficult decision to delay the start of the Alaska, Europe, and Canada & New England cruise seasons through 30 June 2020. In addition, we have also made the decision to cancel all remaining 2020 Alaska cruises on the following ships: Maasdam, Volendam, Oosterdam, Noordam and Westerdam. In addition, all 2020 Alaska Land+Sea Journeys are also cancelled.

Having sailed to destinations around the globe for 147 years, all of us at Holland America Line share in your disappointment of this news. We look forward to welcoming you on board a future Holland America Line cruise.

There are three scenarios that apply to this situation and details are outlined below.

1. For guests who are paid in full (and received by Holland America Line):
    As an incentive to plan another voyage, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid to and received by Holland America Line PLUS an onboard credit of US$250 per person. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied toward any future cruise(s) booked within 12 months of issuance for cruise(s) that sail by 31 December 2022. Non-cruise fare purchases will be automatically transferred to your new booking or refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase. This includes FlightEase®, pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Holland America Line, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. The terms and conditions of the Future Cruise Credit appear below.
  2. For guests whose booking deposit has been paid to and received by Holland America line, but not paid in full:
    As an incentive to plan another voyage, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the deposit amount paid to and received by Holland America Line PLUS an onboard credit of US$250 per person. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied toward any future cruise(s) booked within 12 months of issuance for cruise(s) that sail by 31 December 2022. Non-cruise fare purchases will be automatically transferred to your new booking or refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase. This includes FlightEase®, pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Holland America Line, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. The terms and conditions of the Future Cruise Credit appear below.
  3. For guests whose booking has been made, but with no money received by Holland America Line:
    For bookings made but no money is paid and received by Holland America Line, the booking will be automatically cancelled at no charge. Guests forfeit their right to a Future Cruise Credit.

Please note: The above programs are not applicable to guests booked on a charter sailing. If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply.

Regardless of the scenario that applies to your booking, no action is necessary from you at this time. Our team will automatically complete the process but please note that due to the unprecedented volume of bookings impacted by cancellations, processing your Future Cruise Credit may take up to 30 days as our team works through each booking.

Should you have any questions, please contact us at the appropriate office:

Rotterdam Office (EUR currency):
Contact us at 00800 1873 1873. We are available Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 6:00pm.
For Netherlands contact us at 0800 724 5425. We are available Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 6:00pm.

Seattle Office (USD/CAD currency):
Contact us at 1-800-577-1729 or 206-626-7385. We are available Monday – Friday, 6:00am – 5:00pm PST.

Again, we extend our most sincere apologies for this cancellation. Please know that we share in your disappointment and we truly appreciate your patience and understanding of these exceptional circumstances. We sincerely hope we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations on board one of our ships in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Orlando Ashford

Orlando Ashford
President, Holland America Line

31 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure why you think you are getting different treatment than US citizens?

They are not being offered the opportunity for a refund of 100%, which is being offered to others per the announcement posted. Only a FCC.

I didn't read anything that treats American cruisers vs non American cruisers. The only difference I can imagine  may be the different rules on cancellations that apply in different countries, which is out of HALs  control.

On a positive side - they're saying your change may take up to 30 days to complete whereas my letter said 60 days....

11 minutes ago, yerdua said:

I didn't read anything that treats American cruisers vs non American cruisers. The only difference I can imagine  may be the different rules on cancellations that apply in different countries, which is out of HALs  control.

This is also called discrimination. Why are people worried about being discriminated against based on age but not about where you are from?  I'm sure this policy will encourage a lot of people in Europe to book HAL cruises.

46 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure why you think you are getting different treatment than US citizens?

It is quite obvious the treatment is different as no cash refund is offered.  In N. America option 2 is a refund.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, yerdua said:

The only difference I can imagine  may be the different rules on cancellations that apply in different countries,

There is no 'rule' which forbids a refund.

In Europe (in the prior good old days)  we did not have the option to 'refare' or to cancel and lose nothing like in N America.  If we cancel we lose deposit, if price drops we get nothing.

Now we don't even get the offer of a refund when it is HAL cancelling cruises.

Edited by VMax1700

We are in the UK and have been offered 2 options

• Option 1 — If you are paid in full, you may choose to defer a refund and instead receive a future cruise credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid PLUS an onboard credit of US$250 per person. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied toward any future cruise(s) booked by December 31, 2020 for cruise(s) that sail by December 31, 2021. Non-cruise fare purchases from Holland America Line will be refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase. The terms and conditions of the Future Cruise Credit appear below. If you haven’t yet paid in full, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the amount paid to Holland America Line—plus an onboard credit of US$250 per person, which can be applied toward any future cruise(s) through December 31, 2021. 

• Option 2 — If you do not choose the 125% future cruise credit plus US$250 onboard credit per person, a 100% refund of all monies paid to Holland America Line will be reimbursed to the original form of payment. This includes Holland America Line’s FlightEase air, Cancellation Protection Plan, Holland America Line pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Holland America Line, and taxes, fees, and port expenses.

1 hour ago, Medusa said:

Or only those that booked their Rotterdam office?

The Rotterdam office number (00800) is an International Freephone number (I think?).

Bombard them with calls Monday - Friday 9.00 am to 6 pm.  Let them know you want a refund.

As said, it's not that I personally seek a refund at this point, it's more that I find it quite puzzling why there seems to be such a discrepancy in policy,  to the point that I was wondering whether I was missing something? If a full refund IS an option, it's rather misleading that it's not mentioned in the email. 

Not sure what the problem is. 

Option two is a refund of deposit money for cruises that are outside the final payment date and apply to everyone.

For Option One, I am not sure if  a refund is an option or if the FCC is being offered if a refund is not wanted.  

A call to your local booking office is in order to find out the facts before deciding there is discrimination.

I think that maybe this is a mistake.  Both options 1 and 2 seem to be the same thing.  

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Not sure what the problem is. 

Option two is a refund of deposit money for cruises that are outside the final payment date and apply to everyone.

For Option One, I am not sure if  a refund is an option or if the FCC is being offered if a refund is not wanted.  

A call to your local booking office is in order to find out the facts before deciding there is discrimination.

Did you read the OP's version of the letter in Post 1? There is NO mention of a cash refund, unlike the letter that has been posted previously.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

In Europe (in the prior good old days)  we did not have the option to 'refare' or to cancel and lose nothing like in N America.  If we cancel we lose deposit, if price drops we get nothing.

Now we don't even get the offer of a refund when it is HAL cancelling cruises.

It was also the same in the USA in the "good old days."

The fare churning game allowed in the USA seems to be a catch-up situation of competitors trying to offer the same monetary incentive that a certain bottom line  of the "budget" tier offered to potential clients who, when all is said and done, contained a good percentage of passengers that really can't afford a cruise but spend the money anyway.

As a result,  some passengers expect that the fare churning is a standard across the industry.

It isn't, depending on the cruise line and nationality (booking office) of the cruiser.

The impact of the fare churning shows itself in the cost cutting measures that some lines have had to do in the areas of quality for food, entertainment and services to meet the expected lower per diem that a line could spend per passenger.

Some lines caught up in the fare game had already started to implement measure to control the problem with non-refundable fares, non refundable deposits or final payment being extended out from the original schedule.

This COVID 19 disaster could be the turnaround needed by the lines to correct a bad marketing plan.

I would not be surprised to see  higher fares with no refunding or "OBC"  allowed for price drops and a penalty (loss of deposit) for cancellations.

The price drops may be also less common once the consumer realizes  there is no fare churning to be had  and that if one wants a cruise on a specific date, it must be booked early at the fare available.

As a result, overall quality of the onboard experience for some lines will rise and there will be no need for the fees on board ship to obtain better food and services.

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Did you read the OP's version of the letter in Post 1? There is NO mention of a cash refund, unlike the letter that has been posted previously.

Yes, I did read the letter.

That is why I said that the FCC in Option One might be an option instead of a refund and the missing refund might have been an oversight in the revision.

That is why a call to the booking office is in order.

I called the Rotterdam office this morning. No refund !! Even the CPP that I bought can not be applied to get money back. Unbelievable and very unfair ! 

According to Dutch consumer laws they have to give you the choice between a voucher for future travel and money back. I also mailed my complaint , so I have in writing. If they don't give me the refund option I will take legal action, something I don't like to do but in this case I feel that I'm not treated fairly.

I absolutely love the HAL but even love only goes so far....

Please people, without a positive cashflow, the WHOLE travel industry will go bankrupt within months, including Carnival Corp.

If you intend to keep cruising, which I assume most people will, then please please do not ask for a refund if you are not strapped for immediate cash, but accept the cruise credit.

Same for the Airlines and hotels. 

1 minute ago, Despegue said:

Please people, without a positive cashflow, the WHOLE travel industry will go bankrupt within months, including Carnival Corp.

If you intend to keep cruising, which I assume most people will, then please please do not ask for a refund if you are not strapped for immediate cash, but accept the cruise credit.

I know, I know . This is my third cruise being cancelled , for the other two I chose the FCC. And I still have a cruise booked in July. I also need some cash 😉 

2 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

I know, I know . This is my third cruise being cancelled , for the other two I chose the FCC. And I still have a cruise booked in July. I also need some cash 😉 

We are so hungry to cruise again, but with a newborn, having to pay for a villa in Southern Spain ( seemed like a good idea at the time 🙃) and now being without an income due Covid19, it is a far away dream I am afraid. But still hoping to get back onboard in 2021. Looking at Carib sailings with the little one.

Not much of an incentive, Orlando should be fired..

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Yes, I did read the letter.

That is why I said that the FCC in Option One might be an option instead of a refund and the missing refund might have been an oversight in the revision.

Do you really believe that?

3 hours ago, Despegue said:

I was not aware that we are obliged to crowd-fund the tourist industries.

You might think that tourism will resume in a few months. But, it could be a long time before cruising returns to normal. How do you social distance on a ship? It makes no sense for the customers to finance the cruise industry.

For national airlines like KLM etc, there should be a rescue from their governments. So, our deposits and FCC are backed by the nations. Not so for the cruise companies.

Eventually, cruising will resume under whatever conditions at that time. There will be customers, or not. There will be cruise companies if there is demand.

Our deposits and loyalty status are not guaranteed. So, refunds now please!

4 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Not much of an incentive, Orlando should be fired..

And be replaced by a Stable Genius like you?

9 minutes ago, Despegue said:

And be replaced by a Stable Genius like you?

better than french fries