What'd you buy for your cruise that's now useless?

Vagabond Knight

What did you purchase for your cancelled cruise that you can't use now?

We're fortunate in that most of what we've purchased was obtained for previous cruises that actually happened and, living in Florida, we will use stuff like snorkel equipment, chair clips for towels, and casual warm weather clothing most of the year.   However, I'm sitting here with $80 of Trans Scop patches that I have no use for if we don't cruise again, and even if we do they may expire before I can use them. 

Every time I come across them I feel like they're taunting me, but I don't want to hide them away because then I'll never find them again.  😆

That's an interesting question, but after giving it some thought and talking to my DW about it, I can say with some confidence that we've never bought anything solely for use on a cruise. 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I purchased from the Dollar Store for our Equinox 3/21 cruise,   4 collapsible

storage container for usage above the bed for our clothing.

I hope that we will be able to use them on the Silhouette next May.

56 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

What did you purchase for your cancelled cruise that you can't use now?

We're fortunate in that most of what we've purchased was obtained for previous cruises that actually happened and, living in Florida, we will use stuff like snorkel equipment, chair clips for towels, and casual warm weather clothing most of the year.   However, I'm sitting here with $80 of Trans Scop patches that I have no use for if we don't cruise again, and even if we do they may expire before I can use them. 

Every time I come across them I feel like they're taunting me, but I don't want to hide them away because then I'll never find them again.  😆

We purchased those patches about 5 years ago for our very first cruise and never ended up using them.  I also bought sea bands and other meds since it was our first cruise and I was very nervous about getting seasick.  Turned out all I needed was some ginger gravol.  Have had several cruises since with only ginger gravol and never been sick.

I've started to clean out cupboards while we are safely staying home.  I came across the patches and they have expired.  I've added them to a bag of expired meds to take to the drugstore when we can go out.  

1 hour ago, SunsetPoint said:

I'm sitting here with $80 of Trans Scop patches that I have no use for if we don't cruise again, and even if we do they may expire before I can use them. 

The one good thing that I found the last time I bought the patches was that they were a lot cheaper when I got a coupon from Good Rx.  Even if I don't use them, I'll still feel like I got a good deal.

I was supposed to be leaving for Hawaiian cruise in ten days.  I cashed in a bunch of points at work for Amazon gift cards.  In February I ordered the following: two swimsuits, reef safe sun screen, passport wallet, portable charger, reusable straws, Tide sink packets, packing cubes and non-surge protector power strip.  I am sure I will find a way to use most of these now or in the future.

We bought a GoPro to use in the Galapagos, on our June cruise which I fully expect to be canceled soon. It's obviously not "useless" per se, but we don't have much use for it until we resume traveling. I was going to try it out when skiing, but I was waiting for a sunny spring day, and by then the ski resorts in Colorado suspended operations, so I couldn't finish my ski season.

I bought a new set of luggage in December.  I was able to use some of it in February for my last cruise, but looks like it will be stored in a closet for longer than expected.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

image.png.34d12c2bc5e186a25eac2e22c89aefe5.png

I bought a cute little bag from the merchandise mart that I was going to use on embarkation day.  Now it's just staring at me in my closet....had much better luck with my embarkation day back pack.

Georgia Peaches, I would just carry that any day I needed to....that is just too cute!

We bought a Scrubba bag for our European trip....a smaller one.  We were doing a 16 day trip land and sea and we pack in carry on's....first time we would be gone over 10 days.  I'm sure I will use the bag again in time, but I can't lie....I'm so hacked/sad/aggravated for a lot of personal reasons, not to mention we spent over a year planning.  Italy and France will still be there and we hope to be too.
Stay safe out there all.

• Like 1

Cruise insurance,  purchased through our online agency.  They won’t refund the amount paid, but, we can apply  the amount towards another vacation, we have a year to use it or lose it.  $525 we will probably never see again.  If we do get to use it in the future, will not purchase this insurance again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

image.png.34d12c2bc5e186a25eac2e22c89aefe5.png

I bought a cute little bag from the merchandise mart that I was going to use on embarkation day.  Now it's just staring at me in my closet....had much better luck with my embarkation day back pack.

How cute!   Wear it this summer...shows cruise spirit!

The  new tops I bought for our cancelled  May cruise on Summit..Newport, Bermuda and Charleston ...will get use this summer and next trip to Florida hopefully hext fall!

We have lots of cruise stuff...always ready..Now not so much!

We also lost cruise ins premiums from 2 companies..chalked it up to a loss without value.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

we bought insurance for our cruise - but thankfully the insurance company are letting us use the insurance for a future cruise / holiday.

My wife however did buy several dresses to wear on the cruise as it was going to be hot on our Fiji, Samoa, Tonga cruise and she thought wearing trousers would be too hot, so bought dresses instead.... now we have to wait for the summer here (December - March) so she can wear them!

I bought Move-Up auctions for 2 of my 3 cruises.  The worst part was the second cruise they billed me the day they cancelled all the cruises.  Obviously I couldn't use and still waiting for a refund.