Oceania vs Holland or Celebrity

larry_s_taco

Oceania is in its own league compared to those two. Where Oceania falls short (to some) is entertainment. The ships are much smaller so the entertainment venues on O are limited though live music is plentiful.

Food is outstanding, non-alcoholic beverages included, and the service, beds, and the buffet (where the passengers are served) are far better.

1F198DC1-87B2-4425-8FC7-4F5F2D68F107.jpeg

I only have sailed on two cruise lines, Oceania and Azamara, so I am not able to answer your question.  However, I am compelled to respond simply to thank you sincerely for starting a thread on this Oceania board that looks optimistically to the future, one that I (and probably many others) need today.  

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

the buffet (where the passengers are served) are far better.

That photo looks a lot like my husband's...on several nights 🙂

I am a fan of Oceania and Celebrity. My two favorite cruise lines. I typically sail in suites on both lines. Timing and itinerary is why I choose my cruises and both have worked out well for us.

O would be my favorite if given a choice between timing and itinerary. However, X has always fit the bill and DH actually happens to prefer it. He enjoys what a larger cruise offers and finds he can get lost easily and not have to interact with other passengers due to size.

I also have found that X has the better butlers. We really are very self sufficient and do not need one, but I must say that when provided, they seem to be much more attentive and on the ball.

You really cannot go wrong with either. Typically we take longer cruises and therefore the demographic is quite similar on both. Avoid the Spring break and holiday cruises. 

If you do not sail in suites  you may find  the cabins  smaller than on HAL

The R ships in the lower categories the bathrooms are  small  to some  for us  as long as they work   we do not worry about  them 😉

Entertainment  is a personal thing ..  some do not like the  shows   but the theatres are usually standing room only   so someone must like the diversion

Ships are smaller than  most HAL ships  have not been on Celebrity   so that makes sense that areas on the ships are smaller also

Give them a try & decide for yourself

JMO

Food on Oceania is far far superior to HAL. Celebrity is a step up from HAL in regard to food, but no match for Oceania. Oceania exudes a quiet elegance, but if you like more activity and programming on the ship, Celebrity and HAL are better IMO.

• Like 4

Have done all three and it really depends on what your priorities..

Food - Oceania hands down over HAL and better than X

More intimate surroundings (R ships 700, and O ships 1200) then Oceania

Entertainment - HAL or X are much better.  O is more like amateur hour.

Rooms -- on the R ships are tiny, even the PH is smaller than any suites on HAL or X.  On the O class ship they are comparable.  But I do think O maintains their ships better than HAL.

Nickel and diming -- No photographers, no paying for coffee or decent complementary fruit juices.

Value is an opinion.  HAL is out would not travel them because of the food.  X is a better value for money on most cruises especially if you are in a top suite.

Have you priced a top suite on Celebrity lately Paul? They're quite proud of them any more. In the past couple of years they've had a big push toward the exclusive suite life. Even their entry level suites are prohibitively priced. 

• Like 1

Oceania cruises are more port intensive than HAL or Celebrity. Compare itineraries on the 3 lines and you will find HAL and Celebrity will have many more sea days than O does. I have a Baltic cruise booked for next August 2021, a 10 day with no sea days all ports every day. 

Also, Oceania will cost more for the same category cabin than HAL or Celebrity. Only you can decide if it is worth it for better food and smaller ships.

1 hour ago, larry_s_taco said:

I enjoy smaller ships. Some of my favorites were the 55,000 ton ships Holland use to sail.

If you liked Maasdam and Ryndam, then I think you would love Riviera or Marina.  This link is from several years ago and the pics have Photobucket stamped on them but if you click they do open up.  This was a guy who did a food review and rated everything he ate.  

6 hours ago, edgee said:

Food on Oceania is far far superior to HAL. Celebrity is a step up from HAL in regard to food, but no match for Oceania. Oceania exudes a quiet elegance, but if you like more activity and programming on the ship, Celebrity and HAL are better IMO.

I totaly agree in your analysis .     I used to sail HAL and Celeb 15 years ago... then I tried Regent and then Oceania for the next 10 years.    Last year I took a HAL cruise because of the itinerary.     How bad could it be I thought.    Heck I can overlook things.    I can do that.

The reality was way different.   The ship was fine  cabin great,stewards excellent.   That is where it ended.    Food even in the main dining room was on a par with Cracker Barrel  or Golden Corral.   On a 28 day cruise,  things digressed to the extent  that I would skip meals... I mean all meals for a day at a time.    I have atached a picture of the " best food" I  found in those 28 days !

The cruise staff and director were total duds.  everything was politically correct,  programs and the like were non existent..   The enrichment guy  quit .    The whole atmosphere was opressive.    It was not fun  except to get off the ship....    

If your  currently used to HAL  then Oceania will totally astound you. 

503.JPG

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

If you liked Maasdam and Ryndam, then I think you would love Riviera or Marina.  This link is from several years ago and the pics have Photobucket stamped on them but if you click they do open up.  This was a guy who did a food review and rated everything he ate.  

Impressive review. Thanks. For those who have been on recently, what was your favorite restaurant on the ship? 

53 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

Impressive review. Thanks. For those who have been on recently, what was your favorite restaurant on the ship? 

Thanks.  Jacques by a country mile. Red Ginger and Toscana equally and last Polo.  Also check out the paid food and wine dinner at La Reserve.  A bit like HAL Chefs dinner but much better.

• Like 1

I have to add the Terrace buffet.  This is nothing like HAL Lido or any other main stream cruise line buffet.  So much so that I rarely have dinner in the Main dining room.  You wouldn't catch me having dinner in HAL buffet or even Celebrity buffet

• Like 3

I haven't sailed recently but whenever I did my votes for "best restaurant" were always the same:  Jacques first, Polo/Toscana second, and Red Ginger dead last.  We DO appreciate Terrace for dinner (not to say we don't like it for lunch but if we're on board we'll go to the GDR first if we can).

If you return to the ship too late for lunch in the GDR or Terrace, Waves is an excellent option as well.  If it's crowded there, you can have your food delivered into Terrace.

We're not fond of RG because we prefer Szechuan to Asian Fusian ...

Mura

I should have added that you'll get different answers from many people.  There are RG die-hards and Jacques die-hards.  I don't think I've seen die-hards for either Polo or Toscana but they do have their fans as well.  I love the prime rib in Polo, for example.

And it can vary ship-to-ship as well ...

Edited by Mura
Afterthought

10 hours ago, larry_s_taco said:

ClassicCruiser777: Is that plate from the buffet or the main dining room? 

Unlimited lobster tails, prawns, steaks every night in the buffet. Most nights excellent sushi as well as many other dishes offered. Salads made to order. Homemade ice cream. The food choices and quality are excellent to very good.

A link to menus: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/regatta/cuisine/

And Waves Grill is better than most of the food on Holland.

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I have atached a picture of the " best food" I  found in those 28 days !

Oh my, one of those picture/thousand word things. And that was the best!