Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

As a magical ship I wonder if we will have the fantastic Aussie comedic Magician Phil Cass as an entertainer, had him on a couple of cruises one show I will never miss and always leave amazed and amused. 

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

As a magical ship I wonder if we will have the fantastic Aussie comedic Magician Phil Cass as an entertainer, had him on a couple of cruises one show I will never miss and always leave amazed and amused. 

Of course.  We'll discuss favourite entertainment later on in the itinerary.

Geez......we got to our cabin and fell asleep, so a bit late to update you all.

Love our inside cabin, no upgrades for us.

As usual we have picked a great location, highest deck aft, with a door leading out to a huge aft deck with a pool and spa and loads of comfy sun lounges, with nice padded cushions. They are all spread out, so no climbing over others to get out!!

We will be spending most of our time out here!

We chose a sideways cabin, so much more room and storage space. The aircon is nice and quiet too.

Fluffy white towels, bathrobes and the lighting in the bathroom is perfect.

On demand TV yay!! and guess what, the doors to the cabins are soft closing, no banging of doors, love this ship so far! oh and the shower is so large for an inside.

Edited by cheznandy

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're still in helicopter range - we have magical long range helicopters.  😄

That's great - I hope you had access to those. Have always wanted to ride in a chopper. As they will be able to land in a nearby park, I can cancel my shuttle booking to CQ.  I trust Ocean Pearl has a proper helipad (not just a winch-only spot 😉)

As a solo cruiser I am looking forward to my Club Balcony Suite - starboard side forward, a little way behind the bridge wing. Equipped with all the usual necessities (decent size fridge / coffee machine with a variety of teas and coffee / USB ports / flatscreen TV with HDMI access / DVD player / queensize bed, not too soft with a variety of pillows / comfy sofa wide enough to stretch out etc.) Bathroom with a large walk-in shower and a handbasin,  toilet separate with a handbasin. And of course a nice and big balcony to enjoy all the lovely scenery and also keep an eye on the guys on the bridge 😉

I hope my stateroom also has one of those "sea sound" buttons that OzKiwiJJ mentioned - great idea!!

Hope to meet you all soon - my  🚁 should be here any minute.

Edited by boeckli

Of course we have a helipad. 

Actually I can't see why ships couldn't offer a sea sound option on one of the TV channels. Just put a microphone, and even a small camera, off the edge of the ship, fairly well forward so there isn't too much noise leakage from activities around the ship and just transmit the wave sounds (and possibly picture) continuously. It should be a real life so it reflects the current sea conditions. Hmmm, it could be fun in a high sea especially of there is video. 

• Like 2

I'm onboard and I have to say I love our beautiful suite.  The bathroom is to die for - all marble, dual vanity sinks, plenty of storage and a large walk in shower with glass door - no dreaded shower curtain here.  But best of all, proper lighting so a gal can see to put her make up on without straining her eyes.  The living area is very spacious and I especially love our large leather armchairs, lovely soft leather couch and the dining table which seats 6.  I can see a few dinner parties happening here.  The balcony is big enough for a party - oh WOW, but most of all I love our super duper king size bed with fluffy pillows, silk quilt (inside a proper quilt cover not a silly wrap around sheet - are you taking note Princess???) and that built in "massage" function is soooo delicious. 🤫

Jeeves, our butler is busy unpacking our bags so we've decided to head down to the MDR for a light lunch and a nice glass of bubbly to wash it down.  There's a charcuterie platter on the menu that has my name on it. 😉

I've only seen a small portion of the ship interior so far but it looks divine - stylish and sophisticated without that feeling of poshness or do not touch about it  but with a comfortable and welcoming feel to it.

After lunch we will do a quick wander around to check out the various areas and what is available.  Then it'll be time for muster drill.  Am I correct in thinking we don't need to bring our life jackets to this? 

15 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

This is a fun. Thanks for creating it OzkiwiJJ.

No worries. It's keeping me amused working out the itinerary, as well as being able to indulge in flights of fancy and dream about of cruising.

There has been so much sadness and negativity lately that I thought it would be good to have something that was pure fun.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wondered if anyone would choose an inside cabin. 

A first time cruiser was making a booking and was asked whether they wanted an inside or outside cabin.

Inside of course they said ...it might rain .🤔

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

A first time cruiser was making a booking and was asked whether they wanted an inside or outside cabin.

Inside of course they said ...it might rain .🤔

Groan! That's an old joke.

Woo hoo, electric sliding door to our balcony at the stern. Great to have early morning fresh brewed coffee and read the ship daily and work out how we can divide ourselves into four to take part in all the events taking place throughout the day on board. Ah, virtual cruise so we can do everything 🤣 I am an early riser and always had inside cabins and had to traipse up on deck for early morning coffee in throw away cups. Yuk. Now I can just switch on the coffee maker, shower and ready to start the day

8 hours ago, 4HeatonsGal said:

Did any of you spot the outdoor heater on the balcony, that will be nice to use if we get any cooler days

Our balcony comes with perfect temperature, day and night.  No need for an outdoor heater here.  😃

Itinerary Item 3 – Bay of Islands, NZ

I hope you all enjoyed our sea day(s) but now we’re down to the more serious stuff for a few days.

We’re anchored in the beautiful Bay of Islands. Tenders will be running all day to Waitangi where you can catch a shuttle bus to Paihia, or take one of the provided limos or minibuses to go sightseeing. The drivers are all experienced tour guides and will happily tell you about this lovely region of NZ. If you wish to take a ferry across to Russell, or do one of the Bay of island boat trips, please go to the excursion desk where complimentary tickets will be issued and bookings made where necessary.

There are so many things to do here so I think we’ll stay overnight (virtual time) to give us plenty of time for sightseeing. I’ve been to the Bay of Islands many times and I’ve visited most of the attractions below at one time or another.

If it’s your first time here, you should visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds where you will learn quite a bit about NZ’s early history.

Your visit to the Bay of Islands wouldn’t be complete without a boat trip out to the Hole in the Rock (first photo below). One way to do it is on the original Bay of Islands boat trip, the Cream Trip, an all-day trip around many of the islands dropping off supplies to isolated properties. There is a lunch stop on one of the islands. The second photo below was taken quite some years ago when I did the Cream Trip, from the top of one of the islands. A shorter alternative is a direct trip to the Hole in the Rock. On both trips you might be lucky to see the resident pod of dolphins, often around one of the bays near the Hole.

100-0062_IMG.thumb.JPG.e06161035a4781b2219b44af99ae4541.JPG

100-0054_IMG.thumb.JPG.ee481caec309b41f8c3fac5b7aa68b56.JPG

Last time we were there we had a wander around the market and shops of Paihia before catching the ferry to Russell and have lunch at the beautiful Duke of Marlborough Hotel, the oldest pub in NZ. Tip – the local oysters are great and if they are offering Tarakihi as the fish and chip option go for it. After lunch explore Russell and visit the Captain Cook Museum.

If you want some exercise there is a lovely walk from Waitangi to Haruru Falls through the Mangroves. Get a card from the transport attendant so you can call for a car to pick you up after the walk.

Further afield are Kawiti Glow Worm Caves and on the way back make sure you do the very short detour into Kawakawa to see the famous Hundertwasser Toilets.

Ngawha Hot Springs are a little further away, and there is a cheese factory in that region too - Mahoe Cheeses.

If you like fishing then book a full day or half day trip out. I once did a late afternoon / early evening fishing trip and the snapper were huge. If you catch one you can bring it back onboard and the chefs will cook it for you.

So, if you’ve done any of these excursions, especially more recently than me, then please tell us about them, plus any other things you’ve done here that I’ve missed. Please post photos as well – I can’t find some of mine.

If you’ve just joined us, please read the first post which contains the rules for this thread. Note this is a luxury all inclusive ship - all drinks, restaurants, internet, excursions, spa, beauty salon.

Our next port of call will be Auckland.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Wow those beds are comfy, what is it about being on a ship that lets me sleep like a baby.  Overslept this morning, so glad we are in port overnight.  We had a leisurely breakfast at the cafe.  Those cheese croissants were delicious, and went well with our coffee.  A light breakfast today, as it won’t be too long before lunch!

We haven’t been to the Bay of Islands before, so I am going to,spend some time with the excursion department reviewing the options.  I love looking at new places so we will listen to what’s on offer and likely browse the web to get a good overview of the area.  Today we will stay on the ship for lunch and then head out in the afternoon.  Looking forward to the lunch.  I see there is steak on the menu and my favorite orange soufflé for afters.

I think I'll begin the morning kayaking at the Haruru Falls, followed by a visit to the Hundertwasser Toilets. They remind me of the Cube in McLaren Vale SA. Pity the poor men on this tour though, hopping around outside while the wives stand guard and take photos.

I'll give the Ngawha Hot Springs a miss, no slimy mud packs for me!!! 

Hopefully we can stop our bus at a roadside stall for mouth watering kiwi fruit and local cheeses. Yummm! 

Edited by kent05

Well this is a great first port call, we have never been there but will be happy to take suggestions from others as to what we should do on our excursions. I do like the Capt. Cook museum idea he was an early explorer in my part of the world and we had a major commemoration of the Bi-Centennial in 1976. The Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Corps I was in presented 7 Sunset ceremonies in a row on the lawns of Our Provincial Legislature (Often mistakenly referred to as "The Parliament buildings" those are in Ottawa). Hole in the rock sounds cool, caves, not so much can you say claustrophobia. Looking forward to gaining wisdom from others. Then we can finalize our personal excursions perhaps we can tag along with some of our new friends. Finish this first day with Dinner on our veranda watching the sunset turn to twilight and the stargaze, it's a whole different skyscape in this part of the world.

• Like 1

I woke up this morning, and got out of bed and had a stretch out on the balcony, only to find a pod of Dolphins swimming past, I raced back to get my camera and took lots of pics. Absolutely beautiful and the weather is glorious, unfortunately the serenity was broken when my wife yelled at me to put some clothes on. 😊

• Haha 2