Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

I assume we have magic tenders so I can take my wheelchair ashore, in which case it will just be a wander around the town, I heard there are markets on, so I guess I will persuade Mrs G to stay on board, unless all inclusive includes her addiction to markets.

BTW although we are in the Bay of Islands for two virtual days, in realtime this will only be one day (otherwise this cruise will go on forever). So do tell us what you are doing on your second day in port.

Ah, nothing like a visit to the beautiful Bay of Islands.Ā  I counted 150Ā scenic islands dotted throughout the bay.

Ā 

In the morning we took a sightseeing coach tour of Paihia, including a tour of the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, where treaty between settlers & Maoris was signed in 1840. Most interesting and the Maori Guide made it extremely special.Ā  In truth, most of the women couldn't take their eyes of him.Ā  He was very, very manly and those facial tattoos just added to the yumminess.

Ā 

After lunch we had some free time, to explore PaihiaĀ  and then we caught theĀ ferry over to Russell.Ā  What a charming village and I now know that this wasĀ NZā€™s first European settlement andĀ was for many years a notorious whaler, sealer, and escaped convict town.

Ā 

Not sure what we'll do tomorrow, might just vege out on the ship and read.Ā  I'm determined to finish Finnegan's Wake before this cruise is over.

Since it's so long since we went to the Waitangi Treaty House we've decided to revisit that first today, since it's so close to where the tenders dock. Then we'll take the shuttle to Paihia, and go across to Russell for a long, lazy lunch. It's so tranquil sitting on the balcony of the Duke, looking out over the bay.Ā 

Ā 

Tomorrow we're going to the glowworm caves. Again it's a very long time since I've been there and DH has never been there. On the way back we'll stop in Kawakawa for another look at theĀ fascinating Hundertwasser Toilets. I finally found my photos from theĀ last time we stopped there. It will be interesting to see if the exterior has stayed well maintained. The second photo is inside the Ladies.

Ā 

100-0037_IMG.thumb.JPG.245553d6e3922e3e23b837df0278d4fa.JPG

Ā 

Ā 

100-0038_IMG.JPG

3 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Ā 

Not sure what we'll do tomorrow, might just vege out on the ship and read.Ā  I'm determined to finish Finnegan's Wake before this cruise is over.

Ā You'll get on very well with my DH, Bubbah. He's a James Joyce fanatic.Ā 

• Like 1

One thing I love about visiting NZ is seeing the big, old pohutakawa trees in flower. The photo below was taken across the creek from my friend's beach house in Oakura, a tiny town (it doesn't even have a pub but the grocery store sells alcohol) on Whangaruru Bay and Harbour just south of the Bay of Islands, about an hour from Russell by car.

Ā 

100-0032_IMG.thumb.JPG.5e42eecb09d4b0c87a8678876929652a.JPG

Ā 

The next photo is of the southern end of the bay, essentially the view from my friend's place. The two rocks just off the headland were nicknamed "The Dolly's".Ā šŸ¤£

Ā 

100-0021_IMG.thumb.JPG.2982c18ebdf1bb9c3687fcca59378c6d.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

If I could hire a boat and visit some of the small islands in and around the Bay, that would be day two.

Do the Cream Trip, Gut, you'll see many of the islands on that, and the boat is big enough for you to be able to move around it in your wheelchair. Have a chat to the excursion desk, they might be able to book it as an exclusive run for our cruise passengers.Ā 

We haven't been to Bay of Islands before so we plan toĀ take OzKiwiJJ's advice and visit theĀ Waitangi Treaty House. Maybe then find somwhere to have lunch and wander around Paihia. Day 2 perhaps a cruise out into the bay, hopefully see some dolphins and other wildlife.Ā 

Ā 

We had a wonderful sleep after a fabulous dinner last night and a bit of a sleep in this morning. We had a leisurely breakfast - fruit, yogurt and cereal and then a danish for me and a donut for Rob with our coffee

Ā 

Leigh

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Having looked at some suggestion from others, we see some interesting ideas. The history buff in me who wants to learn things says we need to go to Paihia and check out the treaty grounds, probably in a small group in a Mercedes Sprinter type coach. Not knowing the time needed I'm thinking the boat trip to hole in the rock and Paihia on the first day. Is there a nice place for lunch? simple not posh first day. Maybe a picnic. By the time we get back to the ship it will be relax on our veranda time, perhaps a local beer for me and a Pimm's for Lynn. After sleeping in from the first day today will be more relaxed. Today we have arranged for a small boat to pick us up at the ship and do a leisurely cruise over to the Lord Marlborough for a leisurely lunch on the deck, we will see what bounty they have to offer from the sea... no oysters, mussels maybe for my, Lynn would go nuts for Scampi. After lunch our boat will take us back to the ship. Of course we would love to have some new cruise friends share the boat with us.

I'm feeling like a lightweight here, hope I will survive this cruise, Maybe take it easy...do we have a sea day to recoveršŸ™‚

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One thing I love about visiting NZ is seeing the big, old pohutakawa trees in flower. The photo below was taken across the creek from my friend's beach house in Oakura, a tiny town (it doesn't even have a pub but the grocery store sells alcohol) on Whangaruru Bay and Harbour just south of the Bay of Islands, about an hour from Russell by car.

Ā 

100-0032_IMG.thumb.JPG.5e42eecb09d4b0c87a8678876929652a.JPG

New Zealand Christmas tree? We saw quite a few of them in Tauranga. Beautiful trees.

52 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Having looked at some suggestion from others, we see some interesting ideas. The history buff in me who wants to learn things says we need to go to Paihia and check out the treaty grounds, probably in a small group in a Mercedes Sprinter type coach. Not knowing the time needed I'm thinking the boat trip to hole in the rock and Paihia on the first day. Is there a nice place for lunch? simple not posh first day. Maybe a picnic. By the time we get back to the ship it will be relax on our veranda time, perhaps a local beer for me and a Pimm's for Lynn. After sleeping in from the first day today will be more relaxed. Today we have arranged for a small boat to pick us up at the ship and do a leisurely cruise over to the Lord Marlborough for a leisurely lunch on the deck, we will see what bounty they have to offer from the sea... no oysters, mussels maybe for my, Lynn would go nuts for Scampi. After lunch our boat will take us back to the ship. Of course we would love to have some new cruise friends share the boat with us.

I'm feeling like a lightweight here, hope I will survive this cruise, Maybe take it easy...do we have a sea day to recoveršŸ™‚

It is only a short walk from the tender drop-off to the Treaty grounds and no vehicles are permitted in the grounds.

Ā 

image.thumb.png.bfaa96f01d8526a5075a35cd00f29303.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

You won't need a coach to go to the treaty grounds, it's right next to the tender wharf so you can just walk there, and you should only need a few hours there, so either go there first straight off the tender, or after lunch before going back onboard the ship. There is plenty of seafood on the menu at the Duke. Lynn mightn't be able to get the scampi there though. I'm not sure what theĀ restaurants in Paihia are like these days but fish and chips on theĀ beach is always a good PlanĀ B. I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a fish and chip shop.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

New Zealand Christmas tree? We saw quite a few of them in Tauranga. Beautiful trees.

Yes, there are also some beauties in Akaroa. Also if you go for a drive "round the bays" in Auckland you should see some clinging precariously off the sides of the cliffs.

Ā 

There are a few around Sydney in places, but not near any of the beaches. They are very hardy and do well in the sea air.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm not sure what theĀ restaurants in Paihia are like these days but fish and chips on theĀ beach is always a good PlanĀ B. I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a fish and chip shop.

Thereā€™s a nice restaurant at the Marsden Ā Vineyard at Kerikeri. Only problem is getting thereĀ and back . We had friends meet us and we did a local tour and had a delightful vineyard lunch.

We decided to walk over to the treaty grounds after our lunch. Ā It was a pleasant walk and made for an interesting afternoon. Ā We stopped on the way back for a cool drink and did some people watching. Ā Tomorrow we are planning to go on a boat ride, hoping to see some dolphins. Ā We are planning to spend the evening having some pampering in the spa. Ā I am looking forward to a hot stone massage. Ā 

28 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Thereā€™s a nice restaurant at the Marsden Ā Vineyard at Kerikeri. Only problem is getting thereĀ and back . We had friends meet us and we did a local tour and had a delightful vineyard lunch.

Just ask for one of limos, or a minibusĀ if there is a group of you.Ā 

Breaking news! I've just been advised thatĀ there will be a special folkloric show tonight, performed by the very talented local theatre group. I understand it is a parody of the settlement of NZ and is very funny.Ā 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Just checking, this is our second day at sea? Tomorrow Monday is Bay of Islands?

Ā 

Leigh

No, we've arrived in the Bay of Islands this morning real time.

Ā 

So that this trip doesn't get too long on real terms, some virtual days are compressed into one real time day. So our two day stop in the Bay of Islands is only today real time, and tomorrow real time we'll be in Auckland.

Ā 

Otherwise there is a risk you'll all get bored with it and I'll end up cruising all on my own.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, we've arrived in the Bay of Islands this morning real time.

Ā 

So that this trip doesn't get too long on real terms, some virtual days are compressed into one real time day. So our two day stop in the Bay of Islands is only today real time, and tomorrow real time we'll be in Auckland.

This cruise is flying! Thanks OzKiwiJJ!