Southampton to Barbados (late October) your advice please

Big HP

Hi 

I am potentially looking at cruise late October 2021 from Southampton to Barbados on Britania (ages away I know)

I am looking for constructive thoughts from those who have done this or a very similar cruise at this time.

Would you recommend it?

At what point days in does the weather tend to improve?

Did anyone else book so early? The price looks reasonable (not knowing what is ahead for us all) but no idea if this is a popular cruise so waiting may be better?

The cruise is to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and my 50th so looking for the good balance of enjoying cruising element and time in the Caribbean. 

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

Usually gets warmer the day before Madeira in our experience. We have done the sail out 3 times and have had no problems. We prefer sailing out to sailing back as you gain an extra hour on 4 of the days. the reverse happens sailing back, also the return often calls at Ponta Delgardo which we didn't like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s a nice experience

We had fabulous weather from Southampton out

Fingers crossed for good weather/peaceful seas 

Overnight flight home - no, won’t do that again but much depends on your onward journey to get home safely

The last day onboard runs like clockwork - you don’t leave the ship till your plane is en route; you have all the ships’s facilities or can go into Bridgetown.

Whether it sails or not, who knows?  Let’s hope

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big HP said:

Hi 

I am potentially looking at cruise late October 2021 from Southampton to Barbados on Britania (ages away I know)

I am looking for constructive thoughts from those who have done this or a very similar cruise at this time.

Would you recommend it?

At what point days in does the weather tend to improve?

Did anyone else book so early? The price looks reasonable (not knowing what is ahead for us all) but no idea if this is a popular cruise so waiting may be better?

The cruise is to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and my 50th so looking for the good balance of enjoying cruising element and time in the Caribbean. 

Thanks in advance

1 tip (you probably already know) but if you are booking a balcony, book a port side cabin, you won't get the sun on starboard side. Also book the 22 night version if you can stretch,as you get as many ports as a normal 2 week fly cruise and you get the TA bit as well.

We did the same ta in 2018, we were starboard as we had only booked a grade not a specific cabin. It was cold on the balcony till Madeira with not much direct sun.

its a nice break away for a week to chill, and then fairly port intensive week, but some of the ports are more interesting than others.

id happily do another ta. 

• Thanks 1

I have no real idea what is a good price for this cruise. Currently this year's I know is ridiculously cheap (obvious reasons) but guide costs if anyone could help would be useful so can judge if next year's price is currently low or market standard. Looking at balcony early saver as can't stretch to select.

Cheers

17 minutes ago, Big HP said:

I have no real idea what is a good price for this cruise. Currently this year's I know is ridiculously cheap (obvious reasons) but guide costs if anyone could help would be useful so can judge if next year's price is currently low or market standard. Looking at balcony early saver as can't stretch to select.

Cheers

I think the current saver balcony prices are a little more than we paid in 2018. I think if the restrictions are lifted at some point and we get back to some form of normal, who knows how the pricing could go? 

6 minutes ago, amfc_lenny said:

I think the current saver balcony prices are a little more than we paid in 2018. I think if the restrictions are lifted at some point and we get back to some form of normal, who knows how the pricing could go? 

Nobody knows...

If there is any risk involved, demand will be low, so prices low.

No risk, demand will be high etc... 

Stating the obvious I know... 

Andy 

• Like 1

BigHP. There are other, better cruise companies to try. P&O use a lovely old reputation but they’ve gone downhill and are no longer ‘British’.

Loads of cruise ships go from East to West in the Autumn with lots of room so there’s no rush to book.

As it’s your 50th the drinks package needs to be considered too!!
The P&O lovers will hate this post but please do your homework and if you can spend a little more you’ll get better!
Enjoy

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

...Loads of cruise ships go from East to West in the Autumn with lots of room so there’s no rush to book...

I guess that depends on your budget, whether you wish to fly to a departure port and where you want to sail to.  In 2021, the RCI ship based in Southampton sails to New Jersey and the Princess ship sails to Fort Lauderdale (via France & Spain first).

44 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

BigHP. There are other, better cruise companies to try. P&O use a lovely old reputation but they’ve gone downhill and are no longer ‘British’.

Loads of cruise ships go from East to West in the Autumn with lots of room so there’s no rush to book.

As it’s your 50th the drinks package needs to be considered too!!
The P&O lovers will hate this post but please do your homework and if you can spend a little more you’ll get better!
Enjoy

There is a myth that P&O fans are anti any other cruise line... 

It is just not true. 

What we do defend is the value for money and, as you say, if you are willing to spend more, you will probably get more... 

I doubt anybody has ever doubted that... 

Andy 

• Like 2

I have no preference to a cruise line as have only cruised once with NCL and it was great. I am looking for for good value pref caribeam if going autumn. Anniversary is actually end of Aug but prices sky high usually.

Thankyou any suggestions greatly received. Cost is a deciding facfor balanced with overall value

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

We did the RCL late October in 2017 and 2018. First year was 4-5 days in before sunbed weather, second was grim and took a couple more days. Not that it spoilt our cruises. 

Fully agree with bee-ess, only consider a balcony on the port side. 

Unless like me you are not a fan of sitting in the sun and prefer to sit in warm shade, in which case book starboard!

August 15th 2021, Celebrity Summit, Southampton to Boston 14 nights via Iceland. 
I’ve cruised Seadream, Cunard, P&O, RCL, private yachts and am in the travel industry. If I had the time off I’d sell an organ to go on that cruise.
Great months to go on that route with constant daylight. There’s no limit with the drinks package and the flights home will be cheaper too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thankyou everyone v helpful. I will certainly look at RCL. Like the idea of Britaini based on itinery, price and possible getting wife on cookery classes (before I'm slated that's cus she loves cooking 😃)

We like a good mix of good food, few drinks, good entertainment, meeting nice people and then nice stops. Just get nervous if paying over odds as it's a luxury to us and want to be right 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Unless like me you are not a fan of sitting in the sun and prefer to sit in warm shade, in which case book starboard!

Unfortunately most sea days are unlikely to result in warm shade on the starboard side, except for maybe the last day before you reach the Caribbean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

Lol, understandable and a fair point indeed, although like terrierjohn mentioned above, we found it pretty darn cold for virtually all the TA trip (this is on the Independence) - it was nothing like warm shade - and it was imperative for us that we swapped sides the year after. 

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing

On 4/17/2020 at 1:19 PM, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Lol, understandable and a fair point indeed, although like terrierjohn mentioned above, we found it pretty darn cold for virtually all the TA trip (this is on the Independence) - it was nothing like warm shade - and it was imperative for us that we swapped sides the year after. 

Either you must have been unlucky or I must have been lucky. When I sailed westwards on Ventura it had become pleasantly warm by the time we reached the Canary Islands and it stayed that way until we reached the Caribbean. Although I believe that if you go the Northern route via the Azores the weather might not be so good.