Pre Existing Condition

Momma Rene

I am booked for a cruise in December, which we have prepaid insurance ($780).  A few months later, the cruise line instituted the doctor's note that we need to have him/her sign as a requirement for cruising.  Our doctor will not sign due to pre existing conditions.  I am thinking a lot of people are in our situation.  What would be the status of our insurance payment of $780?

14 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

I am booked for a cruise in December, which we have prepaid insurance ($780).  A few months later, the cruise line instituted the doctor's note that we need to have him/her sign as a requirement for cruising.  Our doctor will not sign due to pre existing conditions.  I am thinking a lot of people are in our situation.  What would be the status of our insurance payment of $780?

What insurance company do you use?

We use Travel Insured, and if there has been no loss (and presumably the cruise line refunded your money after changing the rules, etc.), we are able to apply any premium for a cancelled cruise to another cruise.  There are some time constraints, but thus far, we've been able to do it.

See if your insurer has something similar.

GC

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, GeezerCouple said:

What insurance company do you use?

We use Travel Insured, and if there has been no loss (and presumably the cruise line refunded your money after changing the rules, etc.), we are able to apply any premium for a cancelled cruise to another cruise.  There are some time constraints, but thus far, we've been able to do it.

See if your insurer has something similar.

GC

I booked thru CruisesOnly.  They use AON Affinity & Arch Insurance Company.  CruisesOnly is with World Travel Holding Leisure Care.  The cruise is in December, so it is very early.  Our travel agent told me he may be able to transfer the coverage but could not refund.  I don't understand because I cannot go given the doctor's note requirement that was put in place after I booked the trip.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:19 PM, Momma Rene said:

Hi Momma Renee,

Get in writing from your TA exactly what your choices are with your policy. Don't rely on verbal answers.

Steve Dasseos

On 4/18/2020 at 11:38 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Momma Renee,

Get in writing from your TA exactly what your choices are with your policy. Don't rely on verbal answers.

Steve Dasseos

More accurately, if a policy was issued with a third party carrier through a TA, a document detailing the coverage should have been issued which will address the OP's concerns.  And for best clarification, the OP should contact the carrier directly and discuss their questions with them.  The TA is not the authoritative source on this as they only secure the policy.  The carrier would be the one who will confirm any questions.

If the policy was issued through the cruise line you can also contact them directly for the information.  The TA can ask as well, but they again only source the insurance by including the premium quoted by the cruise line with the cruise fare. As such, they are not the authority with this coverage either.  The cruise line will have written coverage information available regarding the policy coverage.

Since the cruise lines are in the process of determining policies going forward, there is still some uncertainty about requirements for who will be able to sail. Nevertheless, if the doctor will not sign a fit-to-sail letter for the foreseeable future, then a credit for insurance is useless.

I imagine that insurance companies will have to adjust their policies to include these rapid changes in the cruise industry. Refund policies in place today may change. As advised, it is probably best to speak directly to the insurance company about your options.

Insurance issued by cruise lines is underwritten by insurance companies, not the cruise lines themselves. You can find contact information on the policy.

Edited by Babr
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Babr said:

Since the cruise lines are in the process of determining policies going forward, there is still some uncertainty about requirements for who will be able to sail. Nevertheless, if the doctor will not sign a fit-to-sail letter for the foreseeable future, then a credit for insurance is useless.

I imagine that insurance companies will have to adjust their policies to include these rapid changes in the cruise industry. Refund policies in place today may change. As advised, it is probably best to speak directly to the insurance company about your options.

Insurance issued by cruise lines is underwritten by insurance companies, not the cruise lines themselves. You can find contact information on the policy.

They'll also have to be approved by each state, province, and country they are sold in.

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

They'll also have to be approved by each state, province, and country they are sold in.

True. Any changes in coverage will have to be approved.

Does that apply to each company’s policy for handling refunds as well or can those be determined by the company?