Refund 1st then I will book again

george35

We had a b/b on the Equinox starting  on March 28th, so we are looking in excess of $4000. I will not even look at another cruise untill I get my refund. My wife & myself are people who cruise 3 or 4 times a year but I dont want to chance the cruise line filling some kind of suit so they dont have to pay all that money back. But in my way of thinking they had my money well ahead of the sailing time & collected intrest on it why shoud I have to wait so long for my refund, I didnt cancell the cruise they did. I know they said 30 days for the refund but I would give odds it is going to take longer then 30 days to get my refund.

george35

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I know how you feel and I won't book again either until I get my refund.  But I suspect they are refunding slowly because they just don't have all the cash they would need to refund everyone immediately.  They have lines of credit that they have to access and draw down. It's pretty sad. If this situation drags on the rest of the year and into next year they are in real trouble. 

We decided to cancel our cruise as this pandemic was developing.  So I called on 3/2/20, seven days before the final payment date.  I was told no problem, you are due a full refund due to the time of the request, less the $200.00 nonrefundable deposit.  

Well, I got back 50% of the money in two weeks, then nothing.  So I called and asked, was told there was an issue with how the refund was processed, so got 10% more a week later.  Then I called back, was told its tied up in Choice Air, you must email the supervisors to get it released.  Did so, got email back saying they had done their part, week go by, nothing, then another week.  I sent another email, got a reply back saying they have done their part. 

So two weeks later, I called in on Captain Club line, get put on hold by Lincoln and call is dropped after 20 minutes on hold.  Call back and get Jasmine who says she will research it. after 15 minutes on hold, I am told the full deposit has been determined to be Nonrefundable.  Not the $200 I was told at booking, rather the full $900, but not to worry, they would give me a $700 future cruise credit. 

And then there are $400 in cancellation fees for the airline fares.  No one has ever said a word about fees associated with the cancellation of the airfare.  Also, there are no flights actually flying into Dublin at this point, so what is going on?  

If I had waiting to cancel, I hear I would have gotten a 100% refund or could get a 120% future cruise credit. At this point, I doubt I will ever set foot on a cruise ship again.  I am so upset at the whole system. I have been told so may different stories by different people, it is sickening (mentally).  

I was planning to retire in December and we were planning several cruises with Celebrity in 2021, but now after this disaster it will be land vacations.  Someone else can get my travel money.  Celebrity has taken the last dollar from me they will ever get.  I was one cruise away from Elite level in Captains Club with Celebrity.  

Honestly at this point, I don't think I would care if the cruise line went bankrupt.

• Like 4

RC Marr...

Your story describes one of the worst I  have seen posted . Sorry it has  been such an upsetting  experience for you.

If you review your paperwork and still feel  strongly that you were def  wronged, why not send a snail mail letter laying it all out and see if you can recoup a bit more..

Even before the Covid tragedy,   I believed the non refundable deposits  deals would lead to unhappiness when folks had to cancel cruises. And here it is!

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, RCMarr said:

We decided to cancel our cruise as this pandemic was developing.  So I called on 3/2/20, seven days before the final payment date.  I was told no problem, you are due a full refund due to the time of the request, less the $200.00 nonrefundable deposit.  

Well, I got back 50% of the money in two weeks, then nothing.  So I called and asked, was told there was an issue with how the refund was processed, so got 10% more a week later.  Then I called back, was told its tied up in Choice Air, you must email the supervisors to get it released.  Did so, got email back saying they had done their part, week go by, nothing, then another week.  I sent another email, got a reply back saying they have done their part. 

So two weeks later, I called in on Captain Club line, get put on hold by Lincoln and call is dropped after 20 minutes on hold.  Call back and get Jasmine who says she will research it. after 15 minutes on hold, I am told the full deposit has been determined to be Nonrefundable.  Not the $200 I was told at booking, rather the full $900, but not to worry, they would give me a $700 future cruise credit. 

And then there are $400 in cancellation fees for the airline fares.  No one has ever said a word about fees associated with the cancellation of the airfare.  Also, there are no flights actually flying into Dublin at this point, so what is going on?  

If I had waiting to cancel, I hear I would have gotten a 100% refund or could get a 120% future cruise credit. At this point, I doubt I will ever set foot on a cruise ship again.  I am so upset at the whole system. I have been told so may different stories by different people, it is sickening (mentally).  

I was planning to retire in December and we were planning several cruises with Celebrity in 2021, but now after this disaster it will be land vacations.  Someone else can get my travel money.  Celebrity has taken the last dollar from me they will ever get.  I was one cruise away from Elite level in Captains Club with Celebrity.  

Honestly at this point, I don't think I would care if the cruise line went bankrupt.

This is a prime example of why I ALWAYS book with a travel agent. Mine would fight for this for me like there was no tomorrow. In fact mine did once before. Got me a complete refund. Still don't understand why people don't use TAs. They cost nothing to you and if you have a good one, you have a great advocate. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, hcat said:

RC Marr...

Your story describes one of the worst I  have seen posted . Sorry it has  been such an upsetting  experience for you.

If you review your paperwork and still feel  strongly that you were def  wronged, why not send a snail mail letter laying it all out and see if you can recoup a bit more..

Even before the Covid tragedy,   I believed the non refundable deposits  deals would lead to unhappiness when folks had to cancel cruises. And here it is!

To be fair non refundable deposits have been in place more or less everywhere in the world, the US was just catching up.

1 hour ago, RCMarr said:

I know exactly how you feel, a long time cruiser and elite plus with celebrity I planned on cruising a lot my self. Things have really changed, I to have cancelled several cruises, and no i didn't get my money returned either. Makes me really sad, but my money will go some where else to,  I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

This is a prime example of why I ALWAYS book with a travel agent. Mine would fight for this for me like there was no tomorrow. In fact mine did once before. Got me a complete refund. Still don't understand why people don't use TAs. They cost nothing to you and if you have a good one, you have a great advocate. 

I have normally used a TA. However I had a cruise with Seabourn  prior to final payment and the deposit was refundable. She kept telling me to wait, and we decided we were not going to make final payment. It took me several emails to her and a phone call to Seabourn to get a copy of the cancellation..which was a large one. Then she said it would be 90 days before refund because they were busy.  I still have one with Celebrity that she also was not “working for me” that I told her to give the reservation back to Celebrity and I would deal with them. I again have no copy. Honestly she has been no help whatsoever.

2 hours ago, RCMarr said:

Sounds like you cancelled a non-refundable deposit, I'm sorry that you didn't understand the terms and conditions for the cheaper cruise fare and the air fare.    I understand that you're not happy, but I'm not sure I see the problem.

Since you're not sailing Celebrity again, I'll take the opportunity to say goodbye.  

Bye

• Like 1

The key with booking with a TA is to get a good one. One that will actually work for you. Seeing how we can never mention either a bad one we’ve had or have anyone else share their good TA it’s all a mute point. A good TA? who cares we will never know who a good one is. Because you cant share here on Cruise Critic. Your postings get deleted if you mention a TA or ask for help regarding a good one. Love the site but not that part of it.

These are the guidelines right? 
So anyway we booked our last November cruise with a TA for the first time. Convinced my wife it was the right thing to do. We get $275 extra OBC from the TA right? .. well if we worked for a freaking penny an hour we earned it. It was a disaster. We never made a single change on reservation. We are not high maintenance at all. But nothing including invoices, emails and phone calls were never correct. This was just to get original cruise info right. Thinking she could actually look and share with us price reductions would be a joke. It took 20-30 phone calls and emails to correct the paperwork before we got on ship. After we got on ship we spent 4 trips to guest services to try to correct the extra OBC she promised but never delivered. Sorry for venting but when I hear fellow cruisers say all the sweet things their TA does for them. All I can say be happy you got a good one.

Now to the original post I would not book another cruise until I got my money back. I guess my confusion is why can a cruise line immediately charge your credit card the same day and then take 30,60,90 days and tons of phone calls to reimburse you. I understand there is a lot of people getting refunds but there were a lot of people booking before this pandemic so shouldn’t their system be able to handle? 
I feel bad for everyone who has been delayed in getting their refunds.. I wish you all the best!

• Like 1

If it is any consolation none of them are refunding from cruises around mid March.  We have a deposit on X but will probably just take it back.  Nobody is going anywhere for a long time.

Jmo

On 4/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, george35 said:

We had a b/b on the Equinox starting  on March 28th, so we are looking in excess of $4000. I will not even look at another cruise untill I get my refund. My wife & myself are people who cruise 3 or 4 times a year but I dont want to chance the cruise line filling some kind of suit so they dont have to pay all that money back. But in my way of thinking they had my money well ahead of the sailing time & collected intrest on it why shoud I have to wait so long for my refund, I didnt cancell the cruise they did. I know they said 30 days for the refund but I would give odds it is going to take longer then 30 days to get my refund.

george35

George - Not sure of the whole picture.  You did not share all the details.  As for Cruise Air refund - the airlines changed their policies on March 1st.  You likely have a credit instead of a refund.  Fully understand there are no flights to Scotland today, but when you cancelled there were.

Celebrity and you are both caught up in an unprecedented situation.  Much of the refund issue is that you have multiple accounts - fare, taxes, upgrades like shore or perks and air.  Each is handled separately.  

Interest earned by Celebrity?  I was paid at an annual rate of .0001 by Chase Bank.  Celebrity puts $$ into an escrow account.  Am sure that account has pretty much zero in it.

As for waiting to rebook.  Booking now is crazy.  Wait for things (and you) to calm down.

PS I have $500 in credit from United, await a FCC from Celebrity from 6 weeks ago on a cruise I cancelled and another FCC/future refund on a cruise they cancelled.  Not worth getting frustrated or and calls.  My TA will take care of everything.

Patience.

RCMarr, we have booked 4 cruises with non-refundable deposits and the terms & conditions have been if you cancel there is a  $100 pp charge and the remainder is returned in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.  it is unfortunate you cancelled before your cruise was cancelled.  We did the same however we were well after final payment so we cancelled under Cruise with Confidence and have a FCC which we will use on a cruise next year.

Many of us would feel better about the whole drama, if Celebrity would issue some updates on how cruises they cancelled are being refunded. Cruise lines can project the cost of adding a lemon slice to your drink, so we know they have the ability to forecast projected refunds.

How about a cancelled cruise date time line with a projected refund date?

I understand that refunds must be serviced by cruise line accountants.  I'm sure a lot of out of work accountants in the South Florida area would be glad for the extra work even on a temp basis.

The longer this drags on without comment from Celebrity, the higher the distrust level grows with passengers cancelled through no fault of their own. Lack of comment suggests that the cruise line executives are already boarding the life boats.

Meanwhile, my Long Island Friend, Ronkonkoma is a lovely area and I always enjoyed shopping at Stew Leonard's when I was working in Fire Island last year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Many of us would feel better about the whole drama, if Celebrity would issue some updates on how cruises they cancelled are being refunded. Cruise lines can project the cost of adding a lemon slice to your drink, so we know they have the ability to forecast projected refunds.

How about a cancelled cruise date time line with a projected refund date?

I understand that refunds must be serviced by cruise line accountants.  I'm sure a lot of out of work accountants in the South Florida area would be glad for the extra work even on a temp basis.

The longer this drags on without comment from Celebrity, the higher the distrust level grows with passengers cancelled through no fault of their own. Lack of comment suggests that the cruise line executives are already boarding the life boats.

Meanwhile, my Long Island Friend, Ronkonkoma is a lovely area and I always enjoyed shopping at Stew Leonard's when I was working in Fire Island last year.

That would be an excellent idea.  Even if the news is not good, I want to hear updates, and the facts of the current situation.  Just tell it like it is, however it is.  The lack of status reporting is unforgivable IMHO.  

On 4/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, DrKoob said:

Mine has been fighting but it hasn't done any good yet.  She has been calling every couple of days but Celebrity is still holding on to my $900 refundable deposit for an early 2021 booking that I didn't feel comfortable about keeping.  I didn't cancel until April 5 so I am caught up in the mess for now....

Here is an interesting way to avoid the refund or fcc, transfer the booking to a cruise next year. The fcc is only good till 12/31/21, so transfer the the cruise to be cancelled. I have done this with two cruise I had with booked with non refundable deposits. Thru my travel agent.

Hal

3 hours ago, LEtue said:

Mine has been fighting but it hasn't done any good yet.  She has been calling every couple of days but Celebrity is still holding on to my $900 refundable deposit for an early 2021 booking that I didn't feel comfortable about keeping.  I didn't cancel until April 5 so I am caught up in the mess for now....

If your deposit was refundable, it just takes time to get stuff back. Because your cruise is so far in advance, you are in a very long line. 

• Like 1

I am not trying to defend anyone but to give you some idea of just how backed the cruise lines are  On May 29 I canceled our July 3 Alaska cruise just before final payment.   Booked it on board long ago with a refundable deposit.  Still no word on my $600 but with in minutes the trip was off my list when I logged into Celebrity.  Last Friday Celebrity canceled my May 18 cruise and as soon as I got the email I put in for a refund. THey came back with confirmation saying expect it to take 45 days. I just checked and the trip is still showing  on my list of future cruises.....Oh had booked Princess Lodges for Alaska and canceled weeks ahead canceling the cruise and was told then it would 7-10 biz days....when I complained at 15 days they said "oh, it is now 60 days'"   Yes the cruise lines suck at this, All of my airline cancelations were handed in less than a week.  Two with United, one with American and all fees were waived.  

Edited by Mr. Click

10 hours ago, LEtue said:

We did well so far with 2 cred card disputes..one  fully resolved and one pending,,..they have 60 days to respond. 

.For a 2022,  cruise we cancelled around 4/8, and will wait 45 days and then file a dispute. Have you considered  doing that?  ( More similar issues are posted in the Refund Tracker Thread.)

We have one remaining res for an early 2021 cruise we hope to take using our future cruise cred...IF we can get the medical okay.  If we can't , we will cancel that cruise as well ($ 900 deposit) , cut our losses and rip up  the fcc.  Not booking anything else til refunds are secured,  med note issue is resolved, and rules/ conditions of cruising are re--established for the future.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We did well so far with 2 cred card disputes..one  fully resolved and one pending,,..they have 60 days to respond. 

.For a 2022,  cruise we cancelled around 4/8, and will wait 45 days and then file a dispute. Have you considered  doing that?  ( More similar issues are posted in the Refund Tracker Thread.)

We have one remaining res for an early 2021 cruise we hope to take using our future cruise cred...IF we can get the medical okay.  If we can't , we will cancel that cruise as well ($ 900 deposit) , cut our losses and rip up  the fcc.  Not booking anything else til refunds are secured,  med note issue is resolved, and rules/ conditions of cruising are re--established for the future.

Yes, and I will do that very soon.  I haven't had to pay the CC bill yet because I had just booked before this mess started.  I only use the card for travel and don't carry balances on any so I don't want to pay and then have a credit that I won't use to re-book.  I don't see myself booking anything for 2021 at this point.  It is unfortunate to have to dispute charges and I actually think the cruise line is hoping more people take this route so they have more time.  😒

On 4/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, DrKoob said:

Not so fast.  Working now with a large experience travel agency which has apparently switched loyalties from the customer to the cruise line.  They work on commission and canceled cruises mean no commission.  FCC is the name of the game today - keeps the cruise line and the TA with money on the books.  And FCC keeps the customer in limbo, especially with the current guidance from CLAI and CDC.  Like a cruise line, a TA can financially restructure or just cease operations.  You monies are lost to creditors.  Caveat Emptor with TAs just as with cruise lines.

On 4/20/2020 at 10:33 PM, az_tchr said:

George - Not sure of the whole picture.  You did not share all the details.  As for Cruise Air refund - the airlines changed their policies on March 1st.  You likely have a credit instead of a refund.  Fully understand there are no flights to Scotland today, but when you cancelled there were.

The airlines can change their policies all they want, and many are being duped into accepting credits or travel vouchers instead of refunds. 

According to the DOT, for any flight an airline cancels into or out of the US, the passenger is due a refund. I have just been successful with an American Airlines flight (they only cancelled one leg, so told me I wasn't eligible) and Qantas. It was a time-intensive battle. FWIW, those complaining about Celebrity's slow response, Qantas told me 8-12 weeks. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-03/airlines-ordered-to-pay-refunds-for-flights-canceled-by-virus