Credit card dispute worked

Shynook11

23 hours ago, resistk said:

Which part?  The 60- days after the statement?  BOA won't let you go back more than 60 days usually.  I think it is up to the card issuer.  I have some deposits over a year old, I would like dispute, but BOA said too old. 

My bank told me 60 days from the transaction on a different issue but we will see what the cc does.

19 minutes ago, Shynook11 said:

Here ya go... non believers.  I’m  very aware of the difference between a temporary credit settled dispute.  It’s pretty easy to read the difference as I have  3 still in temporary credit limbo. Majority money in 3rd party vendor excursions out of the US.  You all do you... but I’m happy not to be in limbo 

3D2FEA73-1259-4FD1-AB86-9E258F3B8168.jpeg

I am planning on rebooking anyway but I do not blame you one bit. Up to 90 days is ridiculous!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 7:56 PM, shof515 said:

it does not work. the credit card company gives you a temporary credit/refund. when carnival does officially give you a refund, the credit card company has their right to take back that temporary credit

it worked.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, drolltroll said:

I am planning on rebooking anyway but I do not blame you one bit. Up to 90 days is ridiculous!

We hope to sail again too,  eventually.  Due to the strange climate we live in,  it's impossible to know when or to where.  Our preferred line is NCL, but we loved the Breeze itinerary,  that it was a local port to sail out of, and was the perfect spring break trip.  We were all sad that it was cancelled.  It's so bizarre to me that people are riled up about going through the credit card.  It's a legitimate dispute, not filed as fraud.  

Edited by Shynook11
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Shynook11 said:

I started the topic after I got refund and case was resolved.  Chase bank is great

Every card is different but Chase is always on top of things. I had an attempted fraudulent charge at 1 am at a Domino's in a state where I have have never used the card and they declined it but the same charge was put through on my wife's Citi card which went through.

Edited by regoodwinjr
Space between words

Update- I did talk with my credit card company today.  I was completely transparent, and explained to them that Carnival did say they would refund me, but I am concerned if that will ever happen. Despite some reports here about 90 days before receiving a refund, Carnival told me no such thing.  Long story short, they told me, in not so many words, go for it.

I asked many questions, with one specific question being if I am acting in bad faith by filing a dispute, even though Carnival said they would give me a refund. Nope, no problems. Fraud, or bad faith would be disputing a transaction for a service or product that you actually received- clearly not the case here. Speeding up the process is not bad faith.

Carrying zero balance, no worries. After investigation is complete, and I prevail (because I will), they can deposit the credit amount to my checking or savings, or cut me a check.

I also expressed my concerns about, if I waited longer than 60 days, that I would have no recourse. They said that I would still be able to dispute it past the 60 days, but the process is a bit longer.  

A bird in the hand....

I did fail to disclose in my earlier post that I have a vested interest in CCL succeeding, as a shareholder (long, currently down ~33%- I moved in too early 🙄). That still does not erase the idea that I believe the overwhelming circumstances these days puts Carnival at very high risk of bankruptcy in the intermediate term.  And that is why I am rushing to get my money back as soon as I can, so I'm not caught holding the bag twice.  My cruise and wedding refund will amount to more than what  my losses would be if CCL goes to $0 (actually have a stop loss order @$9.95) , so the "found money" is a no-brainer hedge, essentially.   

We will book another cruise when the world gets back to normal, but in the mean time, we will sneak onto one of the "closed" beaches around Tampa/Clearwater in the next month or two, to get officially married. 😎  We've been together over 4 years, living together (with our combined 4 children) for almost 3 years, so from a guys perspective, it is a formality (even though she is stressing out about getting her wedding dress altered, since no alterations places are open). 😟

Good luck to everyone, but don't ignore the big red flags.  I hope I am wrong, for humanity's sake, but the bottom line is that money is serious business, and with that, business (not emotional, or loyalty based) decisions need to be made.

Be wary of potential straw man (incognito) corporate advocates, telling you everything will be fine, don't worry about your money. They likely have an ulterior motive, with a vested interest in you not obtaining a fast refund. Think about that for a second. 😉

I will report back with an update if/when my dispute is closed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

Every card is different but Chase is always on top of things. I had an attempted fraudulent charge at 1 am at a Domino's in a state where I have have never used the card and they declined it but the same charge was put through on my wife's Citi card which went through.

Did the Domino's thing happen recently?  Mine Domino's account was hacked and my credit card used for a big order about 2 weeks ago, but I happened to catch the order confirmation email and called the store in California (I'm in Texas) and told them it was fraud.

Do what you have to do, I guess, but as someone who worked the other end of chargebacks, you just created more fees and work for Carnival.  I'm sure a lot of people have gone this route, though.

13 minutes ago, christyran1228 said:

Did the Domino's thing happen recently?  Mine Domino's account was hacked and my credit card used for a big order about 2 weeks ago, but I happened to catch the order confirmation email and called the store in California (I'm in Texas) and told them it was fraud.

Do what you have to do, I guess, but as someone who worked the other end of chargebacks, you just created more fees and work for Carnival.  I'm sure a lot of people have gone this route, though.

If Carnival did the right thing there wouldn't be a need for disputes.

I have only a $100 deposit...and a potential $600 OBC...not very much and not so much that I'd spend time disputing.  But....people have $thousands at stake.  Carnival never holds your cabin if you're late for final payment.  They can't have it both ways.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:43 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Actually they do have an idea 90 days.  Patience is a virtue.  

Who is they? Because if you ask Carnival on Facebook or Twitter their response is they are working on it but can't provide a date.

So if this 90 days that I keep seeing is official they would have surely said so in their posts and replies.

25 minutes ago, christyran1228 said:

Yes, mine was also 2 weeks ago. The the order was in Pennsylvania and I am in Florida . I only caught it because of the fraud alert because the confirm email went to my spam folder.

Edited by regoodwinjr
Word
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, webzila said:

Who is they? Because if you ask Carnival on Facebook or Twitter their response is they are working on it but can't provide a date.

So if this 90 days that I keep seeing is official they would have surely said so in their posts and replies.

It is Carnival and they are communicating it.  I talk to them almost every single day on this very issue.  It will happen and it will be around 90 days.  This is uncharted waters.  They are processing as fast as they can.  

• Like 1

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

It is Carnival and they are communicating it.  I talk to them almost every single day on this very issue.  It will happen and it will be around 90 days.  This is uncharted waters.  They are processing as fast as they can.  

If it happens in 90 days or sooner then that is fine with me - I can wait. My only concern is that the department that answers social media is not acknowledging or mentioning 90 days or up to 90 days, etc.

Just now, webzila said:

If it happens in 90 days or sooner then that is fine with me - I can wait. My only concern is that the department that answers social media is not acknowledging or mentioning 90 days or up to 90 days, etc.

I am sure that is because they have many people involved in the process and want one message.  That message should not come from social media, even in the best of times.   

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I am sure that is because they have many people involved in the process and want one message.  That message should not come from social media, even in the best of times.   

I totally agree but also curious about who you speak to / get info from about that? Unless it's someone on the executive leadership team I wouldn't trust a PVP or customer service rep at this point.

3 minutes ago, webzila said:

I totally agree but also curious about who you speak to / get info from about that? Unless it's someone on the executive leadership team I wouldn't trust a PVP or customer service rep at this point.

I will not name names, but these are mgt personnel.  I have confidence that they will get it done and have a really big chunk of change tied up in it...

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If Carnival did the right thing there wouldn't be a need for disputes.

I have only a $100 deposit...and a potential $600 OBC...not very much and not so much that I'd spend time disputing.  But....people have $thousands at stake.  Carnival never holds your cabin if you're late for final payment.  They can't have it both ways.

They are not the only ones. We once had a river cruise booked and paid for, and then after final payment they chartered the ship. We were given offers, but they were not to where we wanted to go. When I finally said give us the credit back to the card so we can book a different vacation to where we wanted to go, they acted like they would do us a big favor by doing it after the upcoming weekend.

I have watched this thread and it is interesting.  We canceled our cruise on 3/12.  I did it on the phone and took meticulous notes.  I was told we would see a refund for excursions and prepurchases in 3 days and a refund for the cruise in 7-10 days.  We did get the excursion refund and that is all so far.  I had a FCC from another cruise that the moved to a May 2021 cruise and they even called me the next day to let me know it was done.  So moving from 7-10 days to 90 is disappointing.  

7 hours ago, Shynook11 said:

Here ya go... non believers.  I’m  very aware of the difference between a temporary credit settled dispute.  It’s pretty easy to read the difference as I have  3 still in temporary credit limbo. Majority money in 3rd party vendor excursions out of the US.  You all do you... but I’m happy not to be in limbo 

3D2FEA73-1259-4FD1-AB86-9E258F3B8168.jpeg

Good for you, as I would have done the same as you did, if I had that much money tied up in a cruise. I did not have a cruise booked until after all the cancellations started. But my offers were to good to pass up. So I booked a few weeks ago and paid in full. It was only a few dollars out of my pocket. If it gets cancelled, 7/25 cruise I'll wait and see what is offered. BTW, posting this should quiet some of the doubters...... 

This is just my 2cents worth.  I booked 4 rooms for the March 15th cruise, which Carnival cancelled.  I spoke with my PVP for the 2nd time in regard to having the money refunded back to MY credit card, as I paid for all 4 rooms.  We went over everything that I should be refunded back.  She did mention more than one time, it might be 90 days or more before these refunds will be put back on my credit card, so I'll just have to WAIT and See!

13 hours ago, Haveuseen1 said:

I have watched this thread and it is interesting.  We canceled our cruise on 3/12.  I did it on the phone and took meticulous notes.  I was told we would see a refund for excursions and prepurchases in 3 days and a refund for the cruise in 7-10 days.  We did get the excursion refund and that is all so far.  I had a FCC from another cruise that the moved to a May 2021 cruise and they even called me the next day to let me know it was done.  So moving from 7-10 days to 90 is disappointing.  

we were told pretty much the same.  in our case, we cancelled on the 11th of march (cruise was set to deport on the 16th), then a couple of days later carnival issued statements about stopping all cruises.  when we called to cancel on the 11th, we opted for the FCC, however after the larger cancellation announcement and the revised offer for 100% refund, we went ahead and submitted through the carnival website.  we got refunded for the excursions and prepurchases within a week and a half, but carnival is still sitting on $2700 and i'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see that unless i attempt the CC dispute route.

I had thought about not getting the FULL credit back on my credit card, since I had paid for all 4 rooms.  I knew the OBC sounded good, which was not expected, but when talking to my son (hopefully this does NOT happen), he said, "What if the cruise line goes bankrupt?"  I don't think it will, but I knew I had NOT lost anything if I get the full credit back on my credit card for the 4 rooms.  The OBC was nice, but with the way the virus is going now, I didn't even want to "think" of when we all might be able to cruise again.  So the only thing we lost was the OBC, and that was not coming to us in the first place. I have received back on my credit card the Pixel package and a couple other things, so it looks like eventually things will go through, but may be slow.

OP, I would have done the same as you.  90 days to process a refund would be unacceptable.

FWIW I had a charge that was more than 60 days old with Bank of America.  It was for airline tickets right after Hurricane Maria and the airline wasn't flying into PR (LIAT).  They didn't want to give me a refund.  I contacted Bank of America, send them copies of all correspondence and did get a credit back for the full amount.   The process takes a little longer and can't be done on-line, but it can be done if the charge was for future services.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:38 AM, Joebucks said:

Agreed. I often grab a few for onboard spending, but never to pay for a full fare. My Chase card gives me 4.5% back towards travel and travel insurance, which is often already more than a 10% savings.

While charging back is an absolutely last resort for me, I would much rather have those protections (amongst others) than a few percent cash back.

This was my first time to buy carnival gift cards for the price of the cruise.  And it was a Vista Suite for a European cruise so not cheap. Really regretting it now. I never anticipated not going on my much longed for European cruise.  Now I am basically stuck taking a FCC because the refund would be in Carnival gift cards anyway!  Even worse, all European cruises are canceled until summer 2021 and I can't do the 2021 dates for the same route.  I am over the Caribbean/Mexico cruises.  Been to just about every port several times.  But now I have this huge either FCC or chunk of change in gift cards.  Never again!

Couple things, we know nothing about the specific merchant agreement between Carnival and the card issuer.  Just because OP got a credit doesn't mean Carnival returned any money.  It's entirely possible this is still coverable by new charges.

So, Carnival and the issuer maybe agreed between themselves to quickly resolve the dispute as a cost cutting measure because it's already cost $200-300 between them in completely unnecessary expenses.  Carnival will eventually process the refund so the card issue is just floating that expense now.

So, good for OP, but this just puts both Carnival and the card issuer in worse positions for everyone else.

• Like 1