When will they cancel Europe 2020

kingart55

Celebrity is still listing cruises in Europe after June 11 but  I would like to know how these cruises can

sail when all the ships are still in Florida. There are no T/A cruise dates so how can they operate. It is getting 

close to payment dates and do they want us to pay and then wait for refunds after they cancel.

Why not cancel these cruises now? Most ports will probably be closed 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingart55 said:

Celebrity is still listing cruises in Europe after June 11 but  I would like to know how these cruises can

sail when all the ships are still in Florida. There are no T/A cruise dates so how can they operate. It is getting 

close to payment dates and do they want us to pay and then wait for refunds after they cancel.

I believe there will be no Europe cruises in 2020. I also believe Celebrity know that but are playing a game of getting as much cash in as possible to stave off bankruptcy.

• Like 9

If they were able to and wanted to pull off Europe in 2020 they could either list a TA at the last minute in the hopes of generating some bookings or travel there with no passengers while arranging for the crew to meet the ship. Will that happen? No idea, but I wouldn't use the fact that ships are in florida as a basis to determine that the cruises COULDN'T happen. I don't personally think any cruises with sail in June, but July or August may be possible.

13 minutes ago, kingart55 said:

Yes, that is exactly what they want us to do.  They want the cash and then they want to hold onto it as long as they can.  It is unconscionable, IMHO.  

• Like 4

I doubt there will be Europe cruises.  To your point of the ships being in , if ports were to open the ships all have crew on board so they could head to Europe without passengers and be ready to greet guests within about 2 weeks.

Cancelling all the Europe sailing now (cash flow aside) would extend a already long wait for refunds or FCCs to be issued.  Current quoted time is 30-45 days,  canceling 4 months of sailing would probably push that to near 90 days.   

• Like 2

I have a Europe roll call where many of the cruisers have cancelled and new ones are coming in and purchasing at a discount.  I don't think the early July cruise will go.

In my opinion the cruise line is hoping people will keep the FCC and not the refund.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

This is an obvious effort to get the uniformed cruiser who has not been paying attention the what is happening in the world and what has happened to the cruise industry to buy a cruise that will never happen just so they can have some revenue come in.  There is zero chance of these cruises happenings.

They just need money.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I doubt there will be Europe cruises.  To your point of the ships being in , if ports were to open the ships all have crew on board so they could head to Europe without passengers and be ready to greet guests within about 2 weeks.

Cancelling all the Europe sailing now (cash flow aside) would extend a already long wait for refunds or FCCs to be issued.  Current quoted time is 30-45 days,  canceling 4 months of sailing would probably push that to near 90 days.   

Most ships do not have full crew on board, many have been taken home by the ships themselves.

• Like 1

They are just cancelling in one month batches..the first round was through May 11, and now June 11. I’m sure in one month they will announce cancellations through July 11 and so on through the summer.  

They can’t seem to keep up right now with refunding people for the cruises already cancelled... imagine if they announced 4 more months of cancellations at once. 

We have a June 13th cruise out of Rome that is clearly not happening, but we just missed the cutoff. So now we wait another month to request our refund. If i could go back in time and not make that final payment and cancel, I would.  The best option is to not give them any more money.

• Like 8

I am also sure there will be no substantial cruising in Europe or elsewhere in 2020. However, I am not joining the group of posters who call it a game...

Celebrity, just like other cruise lines, are extending the no sail date month by month. Understandable...

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 5

The Europe cruise season will most likely not happen this year. I caught a Forbes article yesterday stating that a motion has been put forward to keep the borders closed in the Schengen area through September. The reason cited was to reduce the risk of nonessential visitors bringing COVID back in with them (and the US was specifically cited as a source of concern). 

As for X not cancelling the whole season all at once - that has already been explained : they simply couldn't handle the volume or the huge cash drain.

However you want to categorize Celebrity's motivation and approach to cancellations, the reality is that there's almost no possibility of a 2020 European season. If you have a booking, you can cancel or wait for Celebrity to cancel. Both choices have advantages and disadvantages, but I believe that we all have the necessary information to make that decision.

• Like 4

If the cruise season in Europe is cancelled, we can always head down to Orlando and visit Epcot.  Let's see, there is Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, ...😀

Still hoping for real Europe but not looking good.😪

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

However you want to categorize Celebrity's motivation and approach to cancellations, the reality is that there's almost no possibility of a 2020 European season. If you have a booking, you can cancel or wait for Celebrity to cancel. Both choices have advantages and disadvantages, but I believe that we all have the necessary information to make that decision.

I agree with you.  I guess what I find aggravating is the cruise lines (and some other land-based travel companies) are deliberately, IMHO, cancelling the trips after the PIF date and then, if you do PIF and the cruise line cancels, they are dragging their feet in actually processing the refunds.  I just think there isn't a lot of upside for the consumer with any of the choices right now.  And it's not just the travel industry.  There are many event companies that have simply "postponed" events that were supposed to take place after stay-at-home orders were put in place and are not offering refunds either.  It's just not a good situation all around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingart55 said:

If you have a  refundable deposit, can't you cancel now without penalty...prior to making final payment.?  Otherwise you'll  likely be floating them a no interest loan.

You can then use the returned deposit to use for another vacation rather than tie it up longer.

Once things open stateside , we are looking at the Crystal River area of Fla..

Edited by hcat

I personally do not see the ships coming across for what would be a very short summer season, coupled with the fact that many European ports will most definitely not reopen. our governments are not as keen as US to see lockdowns finish until they are at a stage where they can be more confident about virus transmittal. I can see more cruises being planned for the other side of the Atlantic to replace these. I have  a Europe one booked for October and doubt I will see it, yes they have my money but I am working on the basis that I would rather have my health and the money side can and will take care of itself.

If you have no intention of cruising again, if you cancel, you’re out $900, so it’s float them a loan until they cancel, or lose $900.  I can see the logic of paying the cruise off to get your full refund, gambling that there will be additional cancellations. 

At the present time Constellation has started sailing again after being moored offGreece for several days.It appears to hearing out to the middle East direction,could be to take crew members back home. Where it was moored off Greece there was a R CL ship and another Silver sea ship?   Cannot see Constellation doing any European cruises now this year.

21 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

If you have no intention of cruising again, if you cancel, you’re out $900, so it’s float them a loan until they cancel, or lose $900.  I can see the logic of paying the cruise off to get your full refund, gambling that there will be additional cancellations. 

If you cancel before final payment date, ( not in a penalty period),   and it's refundable, wouldn't you get the $900 back? That's what we just did, one dep of $500 and one for $900,  still holding onto one res for 2021.