When will they cancel Europe 2020

kingart55

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Most ships do not have full crew on board, many have been taken home by the ships themselves.

That’s true but there is sufficient crew to get the ships to Europe and ready for guests.  The Edge has just over 1,000 crew on board down from just over 1300 when cruising stopped.

• Like 1

In line with the virus spread North Europe and even parts of Asia will open up before America. Many ships are already in Europe or have just been transferred to European ports (e.g. Cunard, Viking and P&O fleet). For sure they have not written off the complete season that runs until November now. No one knows at this time, also not the cruise line executives!  Hence for business continuity reasons they will not take overhasty decisions now.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

If you have a  refundable deposit, can't you cancel now without penalty...prior to making final payment.?  Otherwise you'll  likely be floating them a no interest loan.

You can then use the returned deposit to use for another vacation rather than tie it up longer.

Once things open stateside , we are looking at the Crystal River area of Fla..

Yes and oh how I wish I had put down a refundable deposit.  I would have cancelled weeks ago.  I put an NRD on a December 2020 cruise because we had done the same cruise for the last two years and we all knew we wanted to do it again.  I didn't see a lot of risk at the time . . . hindsight is 20/20!

4 hours ago, MarLieb said:

Yes, that is exactly what they want us to do.  They want the cash and then they want to hold onto it as long as they can.  It is unconscionable, IMHO.  

Thank you for your comment; I am in complete agreement. Just up until a few days ago, Celebrity was still promoting and selling May 2020 cruises. To me, this redefines bad business practices; it is incredibly deceptive and approaches criminal conduct; it might well deserve a future segment on "American Greed", but there isn't too much "American" about the industry. 

P.T.Barnum supposedly said "there is a sucker born every minute". We have witnessed many things in the past few years to give that expression an incredible resurgence; now this from a cruise line and brand that many of us loved gives that expression new meaning. So sad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarLieb said:

Yes and oh how I wish I had put down a refundable deposit.  I would have cancelled weeks ago.  I put an NRD on a December 2020 cruise because we had done the same cruise for the last two years and we all knew we wanted to do it again.  I didn't see a lot of risk at the time . . . hindsight is 20/20!

Seems those with NRDs are not in a very good position if  they must make a large final payment, and  then wait t until X cancels to get  "real" money back.

We goofed early on and cancelled after our final payment date under the original Cruise with Confidence Offer.  We rec'd a 50% refund  (plus tax and fees, no ins refund) and 50% future credit.  Should have hung on b/c the cruise was cancelled and they offered a 100 % refund !   Now our fcc may be useless due to the fit to cruise requirement. Money down the drain to X, but it was our decision.

Hard choices and X has not made it easier...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

We DID cancel this cruise, unfortunately but not because of anything X did.  Didn't mean to barge in again, but kept getting pinged for posts here.  Hope the cruise still goes and that the rest of you have a wonderful time.

Boy, things have really changed in the twenty years we’ve cruised with X as well. Also, my comment about the dedicated CVP had more to do with my spouse’s mobility issues than our status, just that both events happen to coincide in time.

I appreciated your comment about getting tired of repeatedly getting pinged. I get some pretty nice comments from cruisers I’ve tried to help with port knowledge, and itineraries. In particular scuba excursions, as I’ve been teaching, and organizing trips for both disabled and able-bodied divers, to the islands. I know many good operators who are really desperate already. So, having others, who may not know all, come after us for providing the best available data we have for the benefit of the group, well that’s just getting really tiresome.

Many folks in RCL management are already acknowledging the difficulties the lines will have in complying with likely new guidelines, and CDC/USCG/USPHS regulations. In certain cases, mostly issues with the older ships, it may be impossible to refit ships to even achieve compliance.

So, sadly, as we had some really nice itineraries booked for this year, I too do not believe there will be a European 2020 cruise season. I’m thinking that all international travel will be a bear. Just hoping to have some opportunities soon for the Caribbean, anything beyond South Florida, and the Keys.

Edited by ldambra
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

We goofed early on and cancelled after our final payment date under the original Cruise with Confidence Offer.  We rec'd a 50% refund  (plus tax and fees, no ins refund) and 50% future credit.  Should have hung on b/c the cruise was cancelled and they offered a 100 % refund !   Now our fcc may be useless due to the fit to cruise requirement. Money down the drain to X, but it was our decision.

Hard choices and X has not made it easier...

I disagree, @hcat, I don't think that you goofed at all. You assessed the situation, correctly judged your cruise to be unsafe and took the only available option, which was to cancel. You had no way of knowing that, weeks later, Celebrity would eventually come to the same conclusion about the safety of the cruise and cancel it, or that they would offer better terms when they pulled the pin. 

7 hours ago, NinaBlue22 said:

They are just cancelling in one month batches..the first round was through May 11, and now June 11. I’m sure in one month they will announce cancellations through July 11 and so on through the summer.  

They can’t seem to keep up right now with refunding people for the cruises already cancelled... imagine if they announced 4 more months of cancellations at once. 

We have a June 13th cruise out of Rome that is clearly not happening, but we just missed the cutoff. So now we wait another month to request our refund. If i could go back in time and not make that final payment and cancel, I would.  The best option is to not give them any more money.

And annoyingly and dare I say, deliberately,  that monthly timing means that in order to receive a refund (sometime) and not a voucher  we will have had to pay the final payment amount before the cruise gets cancelled. Cruiselines know now that July and likely August cruises simply cannot happen. European countries are much more protective of their ports than it seems the US is. They do not want cruise ships carrying passengers this year. 

We booked before Australians were offered refundable deposits so we will lose $800 which is what we will have to do. Sad for the Insurance company who will have to pick up that cost while Celebrity keeps it and will then cancel anyway. Which is why the Thread "what can we do for Celebrity" made me groan. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I am also sure there will be no substantial cruising in Europe or elsewhere in 2020. However, I am not joining the group of posters who call it a game...

Celebrity, just like other cruise lines, are extending the no sail date month by month. Understandable...

Viking cancelled 3+ months in advance back in March until the end of June. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keesar said:

If the cruise season in Europe is cancelled, we can always head down to Orlando and visit Epcot.  Let's see, there is Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, ...😀

Still hoping for real Europe but not looking good.😪

Yeah, that's an idea....doubt we will be getting to WDW this Summer.  I do wonder when DL & WDW will really open back up.  Zero social distancing there. 

As for Summer cruising, even if the ships are there some of the airlines are already cutting flights to Europe for part if not all of the Summer season, so getting there could become very difficult and far more expensive, at least for those not already ticketed.  Then there is the issue of what level of exposure might exist in some of the port cities, leading to modified sailings that folks aren't happy about. 

As for paying final payments, one can always call in and see if they will extend final payment dates a bit so you don't tie up more money before they cancel your sailing. It might be worth a try.  

Hope all here stay safe!

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

I agree with your precept completely. Expanded credit lines, reductions in workforce, and preserving liquidity are exactly what RCL needs to do to weather this potentially disastrous, and quite possibly extremely protracted financial storm.

Slow-rolling reimbursements, expanding the credit line, lengthening out the pace of the “Revolution” (already happening), asking for more time to pay for Edge, Apex & Beyond, along with other prudent financial moves? All necessary.

The cost borne by their loyal employees, that’s a completely different matter, and quite frankly, a very unhappy story.

Boeing is a good model for RCL‘s  perceptions, and a prototypical corporation that also needs to undertake every action necessary to remain viable. In fact, they're pretty much obligated, as is RCL,  to undertake action in response to these unprecedented times.

Hey though, we don’t want to terrify people with the knowledge that their cruises might get cancelled!  Right?could scare them off cruising forever!

Edited by ldambra

Pretty poor form from Celebrity. They know that these cruises won’t be going ahead, like most cruises probably won’t be this year. A bit like extending the cancelled cruises but not the cruise with confidence program date. Holding customers deposits to ransom is unconscionable. 

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I disagree, @hcat, I don't think that you goofed at all. You assessed the situation, correctly judged your cruise to be unsafe and took the only available option, which was to cancel. You had no way of knowing that, weeks later, Celebrity would eventually come to the same conclusion about the safety of the cruise and cancel it, or that they would offer better terms when they pulled the pin. 

Thanks..We took our best offer at the time. It's done and past.....and at the time it gave us peace. 

Hopefully, we will get to use our Future Cruise Credit  on Connie in Jan 2021 out of Tampa.. The fcc would just about cover our final payment and we have BOA points built up....even after many are deducted from the cancellations.

As to a post above by "ldambra ",  is Connie considered to be that old in terms of compliance issues? We were on her when she was  the  new kid on the block and a few yrs ago, she still seemed fine to us!

15 hours ago, richard1s said:

Thank you for your comment; I am in complete agreement. Just up until a few days ago, Celebrity was still promoting and selling May 2020 cruises. To me, this redefines bad business practices; it is incredibly deceptive and approaches criminal conduct; it might well deserve a future segment on "American Greed", but there isn't too much "American" about the industry. 

P.T.Barnum supposedly said "there is a sucker born every minute". We have witnessed many things in the past few years to give that expression an incredible resurgence; now this from a cruise line and brand that many of us loved gives that expression new meaning. So sad. 

Well I would say greed cuts both ways. Wasn’t it greed ( reduced fare) that started this process?  The customer had the choice at time of booking to take a NRD or a RD and chose the NRD.

• Like 1

What would you do?  

I’ve been reading these boards and listening to the news constantly. We have the cyber Monday deal of $25 deposit on a late 2020 July Europe cruise. The final payment is due on April 30th. I know we won’t go on this cruise, but should we continue to wait until the 30th before we cancel?  

I called the certified vacation planner yesterday and they told us to wait until the 30th to cancel so we get our $50 as a refund instead of fcc. (we can handle losing the $50). 

Will they charge our credit card on the 30th without notification?

12 minutes ago, weacat said:

What would you do?  

I’ve been reading these boards and listening to the news constantly. We have the cyber Monday deal of $25 deposit on a late 2020 July Europe cruise. The final payment is due on April 30th. I know we won’t go on this cruise, but should we continue to wait until the 30th before we cancel?  

I called the certified vacation planner yesterday and they told us to wait until the 30th to cancel so we get our $50 as a refund instead of fcc. (we can handle losing the $50). 

Will they charge our credit card on the 30th without notification?

I think you need to carefully look at your paperwork from X,  and the offer  under which you booked;  and also  get more info from X in writing! What are the "true cancellation fees" before of after the final payment date?

12 hours ago, Pushka said:

Sad for the Insurance company who will have to pick up that cost while Celebrity keeps it and will then cancel anyway. Which is why the Thread "what can we do for Celebrity" made me groan. 

Don't be so sure about Insurance companies picking up that cost, especially if you (we) cancel before final payment date and before the cruise line has announced cancellation of your cruise.

41 minutes ago, maxsales said:

Well I would say greed cuts both ways. Wasn’t it greed ( reduced fare) that started this process?  The customer had the choice at time of booking to take a NRD or a RD and chose the NRD.

Just remember that some of us do not have the choice in our markets of booking with a refundable deposit, so no it's not always greed!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I kinda agree with this.  You have to make the best call you can with the information you have at that moment.

We need not to be beating ourselves up over what we each have done about all this up till now.  We are here, and this is now.  So, how do we manage today, and how do we move forward as best we can, with what we have to work with, to plan for tomorrow. 

- Joel

We will see by end of May how the situation with the Virus is in Europe and if travel restrictions will be lifted by July. Otherwise likely all ships that are not yet in Europe will be cancelled for the season and since Apex is already here they can even have the ship do a shortened season of 1 month or so in Europe as of August or even September.

Regarding Constellation, it will have to go at some point into Dry Dock and hopefully get it's well over due Revolution.

15 hours ago, Pushka said:

Ama and Tauck also canceled all of their river cruises through June.  I know that's not ocean sailing, but, for me, it's a good way to, perhaps, gauge where we are headed with cruising in general this summer.  If European countries don't want these smaller ships disembarking 200 or so guests into their smaller towns, I can't imagine they want 2,000+ people pouring out of a cruise ship at their bigger ports.  We are booked with Ama on a Rhine cruise in August and I'm hoping we will know within the month if that is happening or not.  After reading an article about the vast antibody tests Germany is conducting, I can't imagine they want any US citizens there right now - I would assume that would really mess with their data.  But I'm not a scientist and I'm just speculating of course.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

We will see by end of May how the situation with the Virus is in Europe and if travel restrictions will be lifted by July. Otherwise likely all ships that are not yet in Europe will be cancelled for the season and since Apex is already here they can even have the ship do a shortened season of 1 month or so in Europe as of August or even September.

Regarding Constellation, it will have to go at some point into Dry Dock and hopefully get it's well over due Revolution.

Constellation's dry dock has been postponed, as have all the X dry docks at this point with no new dates.  I suspect you won't see any before 2023 at the earliest. And it wouldn't surprise me if they wind up divesting themselves of both Connie and Infinity since neither has been upgraded and I think X and all lines are going to go through some shrinking of their fleets after this crisis is over.