Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
5xGrandma

Passport R enewals Sent in Prior to CVID

Recommended Posts

I Sent my passport for renewal  in January for our trip in July. It had only 6 months so I needed it renewed. Haven't received it so went on line.  GUESS WHAT?  They are not processing any passport since December except paid expatiated form January. I have a cruise scheduled on July 5. and don't know if I will have it back. Can you still travel with a birth certificate when you are going to the Caribbean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ours went in beginning of march and this is what website says now

 

Routine Service: Due to limited staffing resulting from COVID-19, if you applied and requested routine service on or before March 19, we will not be able to meet our commitment of 6-8 weeks door-to-door service. You should expect significant delays beyond this time period it normally takes to receive your passport and your citizenship evidence documents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carnival's website says you can still go with a driver's license provided the trip starts and ends in the USA.  If going to Martinique a passport is required if you are going ashore.  There's some other comments in their recommendations as well in their "Know Before You Go" section.  It's a good read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got lucky. We are scheduled for a June /July cruise and ours would have expired in July. I decided to do the expedite and overnight just to be safe, even though it was expensive. I sent them in on March 12 and had our books back on March 18 and our cards back on the 19th. I don't normally overnight because I live right outside Philly (which is where they go for expedite) and regular mail is overnight anyway, but I'm glad I did. Hopefully you get yours back soon!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I filed in Feb cruise was April 2020, I have looked on their website still processing. You're not alone my friend.   Janet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, alliecat1970 said:

I filed in Feb cruise was April 2020, I have looked on their website still processing. You're not alone my friend.   Janet

I sent mine in on Feb 2 and my wife sent hers on Feb 7.  She got her passport in 3 weeks and I got an email at 4 weeks that the passport center did not stamp or sign my application; I immediately filled out a new form and made sure they stamped it and mailed it that day and the status still says processing.....  We had a cruise scheduled for April 27 that got Covicancelled and I just hope it's here by our July 25 cruise.  If not I'll use BC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife sent hers in on Feb 12th and just got her new one back last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We ordered new one for my daughter and a replacement for myself in late February / Early March and got it in about 10 days. Filed in Florida so unsure where the fulfillment center is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours expire next month.

Probably ought to get on it some time soon😟

Procrastinators of the world unite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 5xGrandma said:

I Sent my passport for renewal  in January for our trip in July. It had only 6 months so I needed it renewed. Haven't received it so went on line.  GUESS WHAT?  They are not processing any passport since December except paid expatiated form January. I have a cruise scheduled on July 5. and don't know if I will have it back. Can you still travel with a birth certificate when you are going to the Caribbean?

They have not suspended passport operations. They have suspended EXPEDITED passports and warn of significant delays in processing and mailing. 

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-covid-19.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was getting ready to apply for a passport for my daughter until I came across this thread.  (We are booked for a July 12th cruise, so we'll see how that goes.)  I am thinking though that maybe I shouldn't apply.  Children (she'll be five) can still sail with just their birth certificate, correct?  (We're leaving out of Miami and going to Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove, and Grand Turk.)  I fear that if I send in her birth certificate for the passport that we won't get that or the passport back before our cruise.  Thanks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i sent my son's in on February 18th. Still nothing. His was a renewal. Nothing yet either on the website. 

 

Donna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

I fear that if I send in her birth certificate for the passport that we won't get that or the passport back before our cruise.  Thanks.  

Before I applied for my first passport in November 2015 for my cruise in February 2016, I requested a second copy of my birth certificate.  Even though I would get it back, I didn't want to be without a birth certificate in the meantime.

 

I expedited the birth certificate directly with the state.  I only paid $20($15 for the certificate and $5 to expedite). I got the second certificate a week after I mailed the form.  Now my original copy never leaves my home.  I don't know if you would get it back in a week right now.

Edited by Tiger0613

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tiger0613 said:

Before I applied for my first passport in November 2015 for my cruise in February 2016, I requested a second copy of my birth certificate.  Even though I would get it back, I didn't want to be without a birth certificate in the meantime.

 

I expedited the birth certificate directly with the state.  I only paid $20($15 for the certificate and $5 to expedite). I got the second certificate a week after I mailed the form.  Now my original copy never leaves my home.  I don't know if you would get it back in a week right now.

 

Thanks for the reply.  My husband ordered a certified copy of her birth certificate today and paid to have it expedited, though who knows if that really means anything with the state of things.  It says we should get it within five days.  We'll see.  We'll apply for the passport once we received the certified copy and keep the original birth certificate with us.  Am going to try not to worry too much as who knows if the cruise will even happen.  Thanks again for the response!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 4/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, jerseygirlinAZ said:

I was getting ready to apply for a passport for my daughter until I came across this thread.  (We are booked for a July 12th cruise, so we'll see how that goes.)  I am thinking though that maybe I shouldn't apply.  Children (she'll be five) can still sail with just their birth certificate, correct?  (We're leaving out of Miami and going to Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove, and Grand Turk.)  I fear that if I send in her birth certificate for the passport that we won't get that or the passport back before our cruise.  Thanks.  

 

Under best circumstances I wouldn't send a birth certificate in for a passport in April when you cruise is in July. 6-8 weeks plus allowing time for mail delays doesn't leave you any wiggle room. No, if you only have on birth certificate copy I would definitely not send that in now. Yes, she can sail with a birth certificate only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can definately still sail without a passport.  After our kid's original passports expired we were waiting on the youngest to turn 16 so it would be good for 10 years instead of 5 so they have cruised without a couple of times.  We have never needed it luckily.  Definately get a certified copy of any birth certificates sent in so you will for sure have those.  I am hoping to get my kid's new passport apps sent in once things start to open up again now that they are all 16+.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...