Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bebe08

All out of Celebrity Chocolates

Recommended Posts

DH and I collect the little pillow chocolates and bring them home for our grandkids.  We have a little tin we keep them in and its become a tradition that when they come for a visit they have a chocolate from the tin.  They even know that the X stands for Celebrity.  Trust me there is no shortage of treats for them at Grandma's house but somehow the little chocolate from the tin has become a special treat for them.   We cruise often enough that the tin hasn't been empty....until now.   Its a small thing I know but somehow it seems symbolic.  I hope that everyone is staying healthy and we get through this sooner than later and return to a new and improved "normal".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

DH and I collect the little pillow chocolates and bring them home for our grandkids.  We have a little tin we keep them in and its become a tradition that when they come for a visit they have a chocolate from the tin.  They even know that the X stands for Celebrity.  Trust me there is no shortage of treats for them at Grandma's house but somehow the little chocolate from the tin has become a special treat for them.   We cruise often enough that the tin hasn't been empty....until now.   Its a small thing I know but somehow it seems symbolic.  I hope that everyone is staying healthy and we get through this sooner than later and return to a new and improved "normal".

Very nice story- thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Load up with Dove's milk chocolate.  Much better tasting than Celebrity.  Better yet, go with the dark chocolate as dark chocolate is supposedly better for you.

 

Dark chocolate is a rich source of antioxidants and minerals, and it generally contains less sugar than milk chocolate. Some research suggests that dark chocolate may help lower the risk of heart disease, reduce inflammation and insulin resistance, and improve brain function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's hard for the grandparents right now whose grandkids are close by that they can't see. My folks are missing theirs. My friend Misty had to tell her mom - if they don't live with you you don't visit them! - as her nephews/niece were still visiting her mom and dad... they've stopped.

 

I have fond memories of all the wonderful treats my grandmother had for us in the house when we came to visit. And we were lucky, only 15 minutes away vs our cousins who lived out of state. Of the chocolates the little tiny dutch shoes and mini peanut butter cups which used to come in layers in a box not individually wrapped like today were favorites.

 

It's hard for we adults missing visiting families as well. I was supposed to have flown home this last weekend for a nephew's birthday. 5 households zoomed and I'm grateful for the technology but not the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran out of Celebrity chocolates a long time ago.  Had to resort to eating my MSC chocolate ship.  Much better quality chocolate, but because it's so big, it's difficult to cut up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We like the pillow chocolates and eat them immediately when we return to the stateroom in the evening. Yum!  

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to drive out to Orleans to restock, we have a few still kicking around that our grandkids haven't finished off. :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for bringing back happy joyful memories...

We do a combination of eating some chocolates on the ship & others off...

Mainly depends on how stuffed we are, when we head back to the cabin - if we don't eat them the night received they are saved for later 🙂

We do not currently have any X chocolates in the house - our 03/15 Celebrity Eclipse sailing was cancelled - so no new stock...

Never fear - there is plenty of chocolate for Johnny to eat at whim!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, keesar said:

Load up with Dove's milk chocolate.  Much better tasting than Celebrity

 

In your opinion. Dove is my least favorite chocolate - weird taste and an even weirder aftertaste. Celebrity pillow is not my favorite, but I personally rank it above Dove any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If you want to drive out to Orleans to restock, we have a few still kicking around that our grandkids haven't finished off. :classic_biggrin:

Thanks but we aren't allowed to cross the bridge...unless this could be considered an essential service lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

 

In your opinion. Dove is my least favorite chocolate - weird taste and an even weirder aftertaste. Celebrity pillow is not my favorite, but I personally rank it above Dove any day.

What is your favorite "common brand" chocolate?  I tend to be more of a dark chocolate fan.  The Celebrity version is just OK and they started really making them too thin to really enjoy.  For more common chocolates I really like Ghirardelli.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

What is your favorite "common brand" chocolate?  I tend to be more of a dark chocolate fan.  The Celebrity version is just OK and they started really making them too thin to really enjoy.  For more common chocolates I really like Ghirardelli.  

 

Right there with you on Ghirardelli! Definitely one of my favorites!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few left from our January Equinox cruise...seems like about 10 months ago😳😳


mac_tlc

 

49740071-7CCA-4FE9-91E0-3D494B26AF13.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't try to take any chocolate pillow candy off the ship in Australia. Have no idea how many people had huge amounts of chocolate that they had to leave in the theatre. The cruise people said it would mean that you'd have your luggage completely unpacked and checked by the port police. No one wanted that. Feel sorry if it packed in suitcases and you got caught. 

We usually ate ours before bed, so none to try and sneak out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original Celeb chocolates were

excellent tasting  and much larger bars.  They were discontinued at one point and I believe brought back by LLP in their present mini form.

 Our stock is now depleted but loved bringing them home to share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, hcat said:

The original Celeb chocolates were

excellent tasting  and much larger bars.  They were discontinued at one point and I believe brought back by LLP in their present mini form.

 Our stock is now depleted but loved bringing them home to share.

 

I loved the Cova Chocolates they use to have.   In addition to the pillow they gave you one with a Cappuccino.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a large bag of mini chocolate bars on my hoarding run to the grocery store the day before we went into lockdown. There was no TP to hoard, and I had to hoard something, so I bought a huge bag of chocolate instead. 

 

When I got home, I put it under the bed, knowing if I opened it up immediately it’d be gone in no time. I haven’t touched it since that day in early March.

 

But you can bet I’m going to tear into it tonight after seeing this thread. I’m suddenly hungry for chocolate. 😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BEAV said:

I bought a large bag of mini chocolate bars on my hoarding run to the grocery store the day before we went into lockdown. There was no TP to hoard, and I had to hoard something, so I bought a huge bag of chocolate instead. 

 

When I got home, I put it under the bed, knowing if I opened it up immediately it’d be gone in no time. I haven’t touched it since that day in early March.

 

But you can bet I’m going to tear into it tonight after seeing this thread. I’m suddenly hungry for chocolate. 😱

Suggest you put a piece on your pillow when you make the bed then eat it that night.  It will last longer!😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Suggest you put a piece on your pillow when you make the bed then eat it that night.  It will last longer!😄

 

Make the bed????  Huh???  What??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

I loved the Cova Chocolates they use to have.   In addition to the pillow they gave you one with a Cappuccino.  

Cova Chocolates, Cova Cafe..now you are talking about the good old times on X!

Good memories..we still spend afternoons at Cafe Baccio but just not the same..miss the music!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a very serious note:😎

 

I once had a snippet of several seconds where the capitalist in me thought about taking (wasting, actually) the time to calculate how much every one of those pillow chocolates cost, after all other trip costs were factored.

 

Whew, that was quite a nightmare. Once I woke up I knew life was good, once again.

 

I thought once about doing as Beav has, and simply buy a large bag of chocolate. But, what if the bag is too large and takes months, or into 2022 to fully consume? In the meanwhile I would not be incentivized to book another Celebrity cruise. That would also mean having to fend off verbal attacks from my loving wife, who apparently needs at least ONE (we now once again have) future cruise looming on the horizon.

 

So, I am good with the idea of actually buying those chocolates, of any brand or quality, from Celebrity, having to actually sail aboard Summit to gather them, store them, and sneak them off ship using my illegal drone to drop them behind the disembarkation building in the dark of night, Australia included.

 

We don't really have grandchildren (yet) to share our chocolates so that is not a problem. 😂

 

Very nice post, by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw in our local SF Bay Area news that See’s is restarting operations at its South SF production facility after reconfigurations to create a save environment for employees. And website orders will resume in a few days. 

 

The World is NOT coming to an end after all, thanks to Mary See. 

B30DA76D-E4EF-4806-889F-8187CAC71B2A.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...