Favourite P&O Dish/what are you having today?

Eddie99

Just as a pastime and maybe to help remember the good times.

What is your favourite P&O dish/dishes?  Maybe separate posts for different courses - just to help keep us entertained?  You chose

Then, also to assist the thread to continue, and to let our minds wander round the always-interesting topic of food, what are you having for lunch/dinner (your main meal) today.  And, having written that, I now realise there is another sub-topic ... what do you call your various meals - tea, dinner, supper??? Anything else?

So, something to get your teeth into (ha ha 🙄). Off you go

Me - favourite starter - gravadlax and mustard sauce OR Marco’s fish 3 ways (can’t remember its proper title)

Chez nous, tonight, - grilled trout, new potatoes, peas.  Cheese, biscuits, grapes.  Portuguese wine.  Cheers! 🍷 

• Like 3

Bizarrely enough, a couple of days ago we started sorting through all the folders of paperwork we've retained from our cruises over the years.

My mission, which I accepted, was to start scanning in the menus!

I remember a quite a few years ago they used to serve a savoury at the end of dinner.  Things like Devils/Angels on Horseback, Ivanhoe etc.  Much preferred them at the end of dinner.

Great idea Eddie :classic_smile:

My or should I say our favourite meal is when we visit the Glass House.

We really like a nice steak with the fresh garlic and vine tomatoes, I cannot  remember a time on a 

P&O ship when we have not ordered that meal.

A close second for me is the Curry Nights on the ships but I'm a sucker for a curry anyway .

Thinking about food in general I like a salad, it can be starter or part of the dish for me .

Meals in our house run Breakfast,Dinner,Tea, and supper.

We have just had a toasted egg sandwich with a large mushroom inside it , followed by fruit and a cup of tea.

Did you know it's National Tea day today ? If not , a new one on me as well :classic_unsure:

Just asked Mrs Kalos "What's for tea " and she tells me it's a chicken dish but refuses to tell me more.

I think she is just trying to keep a few surprises in our meals but I'm sure it will be good . 

As its Gala night, I will have Marco's beef Wellington please. 

Any sundae, even on a Tuesday.. 

I find many of the starters a bit pretentious, so may just go straight to soup please... 

Washed down by a pint of Peroni, unless we are killing a bottle of Zinfandel.. 

Andy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Just as a pastime and maybe to help remember the good times.

What is your favourite P&O dish/dishes?  Maybe separate posts for different courses - just to help keep us entertained?  You chose

Then, also to assist the thread to continue, and to let our minds wander round the always-interesting topic of food, what are you having for lunch/dinner (your main meal) today.  And, having written that, I now realise there is another sub-topic ... what do you call your various meals - tea, dinner, supper??? Anything else?

So, something to get your teeth into (ha ha 🙄). Off you go

Me - favourite starter - gravadlax and mustard sauce OR Marco’s fish 3 ways (can’t remember its proper title)

Chez nous, tonight, - grilled trout, new potatoes, peas.  Cheese, biscuits, grapes.  Portuguese wine.  Cheers! 🍷 

Apologies for drifting off topic already but your mention of gravadlax brought a memory flooding back. Some years ago we were eating in a nice restaurant in the Lake District. A lady at a nearby table ordered gravadlax. When the waiter brought it to her, she complained loudly to the waiter that her gravadlax wasn’t cooked, indeed it was raw. The waiter advised her that as gravadlax is a cured fish, it does not require cooking. As you can imagine, along with others, we couldn’t help but listen. Her reply was a classic and reminiscent of a character at Fawlty Towers: ‘I have eaten gravadlax in a lot of good restaurants and it has always been cooked, it is never served raw’. She eventually begrudgingly accepted the offer of an alternative starter (the waiter had asked the chef if he would cook the gravadlax for her, a request he declined). Not surprisingly, most others who ordered gravadlax did feel the need to ask the obvious question.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tend to find the most memorable offerings at MDR lunch- not sure if this is because there are fewer expectations at lunchtime. 
They used to do a beautiful summer berry jelly served on a purée of pear. ( nothing like the stuff produced by Messrs Hartley & Rowntree.)

I have had some very good biryanis also. 

Saying as an earlier has broken the mould and home a long way back in time,  then I shall follow. I used to find the little display of desserts as you entered the dining room in the evening very useful. You knew what to expect. I know you can leave food uneaten but it is a little disconcerting when you expect a small dessert and you end up with a mega kilocalorie gut buster with lashings of Chantilly cream ( alternative you may feel you could do justice to a decent portion of jam roll and you get a nano sliver of kumquat with a drizzle of crème anglaise.) The dessert display was useful and I miss it. 

Another vote from us for Marco’s beef wellington, but washed down with a nice bottle of Malbec. My favourite dessert was always the Sachertorte, but I haven’t seen it on the menu for a while now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I find many of the starters a bit pretentious, so may just go straight to soup please... 

Andy 

Crepe Suzette in epecurian please.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

DW likes that chocolate bomb thing in epecurian that you pour hot sauce over and the bomb melts and you end up with this runny, gooiee stuff that tastes great but makes you feel sick..........cheese is ok too.

• Like 1

And another vote for beef Wellington in the Mdr and it's got to be prawn cocktail for starters but double portion because there's never enough prawns in that dish , pudding anything chocolate is a winner , it's breakfast lunch and dinner in our house and tonight's dinner was steak pie, roast potatoes , Swede, carrots and broccoli  no puddings on a week day only at weekends  

• Like 2

For us it's breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Today we've  had vegetable lasagne and salad, followed by Greek yoghurt with honey & nuts. 

We don't have any particular favourite dishes on the ship. We enjoy the majority of the meals on the menu, it depends on what we fancy at the time. I do miss the Cherries Jubilee they used to do though. Sadly no more due to health and safety apparently. 

Avril 

50 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

For us it's breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Today we've  had vegetable lasagne and salad, followed by Greek yoghurt with honey & nuts. 

We don't have any particular favourite dishes on the ship. We enjoy the majority of the meals on the menu, it depends on what we fancy at the time. I do miss the Cherries Jubilee they used to do though. Sadly no more due to health and safety apparently. 

Avril 

They still do cherries jubilee, but no longer flambe.

My favourite topic, food.

On our last cruise I had some prawn and chorizo kebabs, they were delicious.

For lunch today we had Toad in the Hole with gravy.

Tea was stilton and walnut bread (because I got yeast yeah!) and almond tarts.

• Like 2

Another vote for Marco’s beef wellington! 
For overall experience I loved our first visit to the Epicurean on Ventura when it was called the White Room. Just felt so special.

It’s breakfast lunch and dinner in our house and last night we had chicken with mushrooms and tagliatelle in a creme fraiche  sauce, all cooked by the hubby, it was lovely!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

Sundaes 7 days a week for me. And if I choose a different desert I often ask for a scoop of ice cream, then they bring out a bowl ful and I pretend it's too much and then scoff the lot.

I love the apple pie Sundae that tastes nothing like apple pie but is delicious. 

Popcorn and toffee are the overriding flavours... 

Then again, any sundae will do... 

Andy 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

So, port day today so quick mdr breakfast. 

I will have a ham and cheese omelette, 2 sausages, 2 bacon, fried bread and beans,  lots of tea please. 

Andy 

Yes please, lots of tea. My only criticism of MDR breakfast is never being able to catch a waiter's eye when I would like a tea top up. I do wish they would leave the pot on the table. Same issue at afternoon tea. But doesn't stop the enjoyment of a lovely breakfast, particularly as I'm vegetarian and they have some really nice veggie alternatives.

• Like 1

Love the Beef Wellington but it has to be medium rare, although if it's in the MDR I'll often ask for Rare as sometime the medium rare is more like medium, I like it pink.  If however, I have a steak in The Glasshouse or Epicurean - the best of all - I'll ask for medium rare.  I'm finding it really challenging to keep coming up with supper dishes a) that I have the ingredients for and b) that my husband, who is on medication, will be tempted by.  Last night I actually made tinned salmon fishcakes a la Nigella, very good too.  Tonight we have a family Zoom call coming up so it will be an easy supper - Salad Nicoise, assuming the jar of really good tuna I think I have in the cupboard is really there.  We don't usually have puddings during the week but lately we've been having some raspberries or strawberries and I've just finished up a canister of Grenadine which I find adds some sweetness to the not always brilliant strawberries from the supermarket.  We are in Strawberry growing country, not sure what's going to happen to them this year.  Usually a friend who is involved with one of the strawberry fields drops off a wonderful large punnet of freshly picked berries - absolutely wonderful - but don't suppose it will happen this year.  

I've cooked quite a few things from the Nigella Express cookbook, really good Chicken Schnitzel , bacon and white wine recipe, very easy, very tasty.  Her cherry cheesecake is wonderful too, same book, uses brilliant black cherry jam for topping, yummy!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

They still do cherries jubilee, but no longer flambe.

I've not seen them for a long time on a P&O menu. Maybe I've just not noticed. The last I had consisted of 7 cherries  (and yes I counted them) in a small bowl of purple sugary water and  a small  scoop of melting ice cream floating in it. Courtesy of RCI. A disastrous end to a terrible meal.

Avril 

Beef Wellington appears to be a favourite

I like it too, but if lobster is on the same menu I’ll go for that - I can do steak/beefy things at home but wouldn’t attempt lobster (is that shellfish of me? 🤣)

If I wanted to criticise the MDR food it would be wrt the cheese.  As a person who does not have much of a sweet tooth I’d much rather have a nice bit of cheese if I’ve room for anything after the first courses.  Not many ‘nice bits of cheese’ to be seen

Tonight, here,  it’s cold-smoked salmon fillet (cooked and served hot) on spinach on Puy lentils.  Sounds posh/poncey but it’s delicious and down to earth and takes 10 minutes, start to finish, if you use canned or pouched lentils

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m with Eddie99, lobster all the way. On our Caribbean cruise on Azura back in 2017 we had lobster on one of the gala nights. Fortunately for me it was not a popular choice that evening, I ended up with four half lobster servings. Quel dommage 🙂

We went super easy tonight, chilli con carne from the freezer over a baked potato with grated cheese on top.

Edited by Sussexboy
  • Like 1

Annieuk, if you like Nigella recipes you should try her chocolate hazelnut cheesecake from her Nigellissima book. It is like Ferraro Rocher in a cheesecake. I have it made so many times for family and friends and everyone loves it. So easy to make too. Mmmm, enjoy.