Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?

MarkWiltonM

There are quite a few that have cancelled on the roll calls.  There is an equally impressive number that have rebooked.  Only time will tell.

The latest is that some of the European ports are opening up for August.  Will that date get pushed back further?

19 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

UK introducing 2 weeks quarantine for all incoming travellers including residents https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8257255/Anyone-flying-UK-self-isolate-14-days-new-Government-plans.html

Again please wait until this is confirmed. You stated Italy was closed off until next March which at this point is simply untrue. 

41 minutes ago, yorky said:

Again please wait until this is confirmed. You stated Italy was closed off until next March which at this point is simply untrue. 

As numerous media outlets are carrying the story it seems most likely to become fact. Thanks for the advice anyway.

23 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Just like airplanes???

bon voyage

AFA...(Assoc Flight  Attendants)  in late March, 2020 called for pause of recreational flying:

"To be clear, we have been and are currently calling for a halt to leisure travel and coordinated efforts to limit passenger flights to essential service only. We are resolute about this, but it is not an easy task and we support our airlines and our government in navigating this complicated but necessary planning."

link:https://www.afacwa.org/afa_applauds_dot_action_on_maintaining_service

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Flattened the curve nationally?  I think not.  Yesterday featured the highest number of new cases to date.  Over 36,000.  Previous high was 34,000 on April 9th, over 2 weeks ago.  Also in NC, where we both live, the highest new cases yet yesterday.

Its just starting to sweep across the country now. 

• Like 1

I think one factor that is not being discussed much is that, as far as Europe is concerned, cruisers visiting their cities is not a big positive. If anything, if you consulted most people in Barcelona, Venice, Livorno and a number of other ports, the sentiment would skew strongly to the negative.

Tourism, yes, is important to Spain, Italy, France.  But the tourism that is important to their economy is that which stays 3 or 4 nights in a local hotel and dines 2 or 3 times a day in local restaurants, supporting dozens of local workers.  Cruise passengers that spend a total of 6 hours or so in a port, many of whom only spend a minimal amount on trinkets, who carry food from the ship or don't eat outside at all are not big drivers for an area's economy.  If you sit down with many of these residents and watch their smiles when the cruisers leave, as we have, you would not be thinking that they are dying to have cruise ships visit again before a reasonable time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

UK introducing 2 weeks quarantine for all incoming travellers including residents https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8257255/Anyone-flying-UK-self-isolate-14-days-new-Government-plans.html

Has this not happened yet? Australia has had this in place for almost a month now. It's straight in to a government provided Hotel but only for Australian citizens. No one else is allowed to enter. For the three weeks prior to that it was self isolation. But that was abused. We have been lucky so far. Just a total of 81 deaths Australia and that is everyone who has died whether or not they were in hospitals, home, or aged care homes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Has this not happened yet? Australia has had this in place for almost a month now. It's straight in to a government provided Hotel but only for Australian citizens. No one else is allowed to enter. For the three weeks prior to that it was self isolation. But that was abused. We have been lucky so far. Just a total of 81 deaths Australia and that is everyone who has died whether or not they were in hospitals, home, or aged care homes. 

UK has been late to the party, should have happened weeks ago, not sure what difference it will make now as the virus is everywhere in the UK, some more discussion here by UK's leading travel correspondent https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-uk-travel-airport-self-isolate-two-weeks-heathrow-who-a9484451.html

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I think one factor that is not being discussed much is that, as far as Europe is concerned, cruisers visiting their cities is not a big positive. If anything, if you consulted most people in Barcelona, Venice, Livorno and a number of other ports, the sentiment would skew strongly to the negative.

Tourism, yes, is important to Spain, Italy, France.  But the tourism that is important to their economy is that which stays 3 or 4 nights in a local hotel and dines 2 or 3 times a day in local restaurants, supporting dozens of local workers.  Cruise passengers that spend a total of 6 hours or so in a port, many of whom only spend a minimal amount on trinkets, who carry food from the ship or don't eat outside at all are not big drivers for an area's economy.  If you sit down with many of these residents and watch their smiles when the cruisers leave, as we have, you would not be thinking that they are dying to have cruise ships visit again before a reasonable time.

ECCruise - I totally agree. Have been travelling mostly with land tours and customized tours through Europe. Talking with tour guides, hotel operators and small restaurants - they much prefer the guests on the land tours. Cruise ship passengers are a nuisance, exception are guests from the river boats.

My friends who we travel with (20), none will consider a cruise going forward. We are concerned about a likely cheapened on board environment and multiple restrictions - let alone the potential elimination of ports of call. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Talking with tour guides, hotel operators and small restaurants - they much prefer the guests on the land tours. Cruise ship passengers are a nuisance, exception are guests from the river boats.

But many of us will travel to our embarkation port several days in advance of embarkation day to spend time in the city spending money in hotels, restaurants, museums, markets...and often we will extend their trip after the cruise as well.  Additionally, I can see how this "nuisance" way of thinking can be short sited as it relates to people who return for land vacations as a result of feeling like they didn't see enough when they were on their cruise.  We did exactly this with Italy.  Didn't see enough when we cruised, so went back a year later for two weeks.  I can certainly appreciate the downside from their perspective, but the tourism impact on the economy goes a little deeper than just an 8 hour port visit.  IMO.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I have often wondered if the cruise lines read these posts.....if they do, I wonder if they realize the people here are the ones that potentially will bring the lines back....we have been cruising for 50 years....when I see members of CC saying “ they may not cruise again”.  Makes me very sad...I have probably seen may of you at an Elite cocktail hour or in a lounge....I may not know your names but I might recognize your face.....I will miss the joy of getting on the ship and having a crew member remember your name  or your face from a previous cruise. Sorry.....just reminiscing of a time that may never come again.....I wAnt to cruise again but with the health requirement,I may not be able to.....people who have never cruised don’t understand the bonds you make with other cruisers and why you keep going back.....land trips are great but will never be like cruising.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, llawrence said:

people who have never cruised don’t understand the bonds you make with other cruisers and why you keep going back.....land trips are great but will never be like cruising.

Amen to that!  I often find it very difficult to articulate to my non-cruising friends what it is about cruising that makes the whole experience so special.  You've captured the essence for sure.  I pray you cruise again...and that we can raise a glass together!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

ECCruise - I totally agree. Have been travelling mostly with land tours and customized tours through Europe. Talking with tour guides, hotel operators and small restaurants - they much prefer the guests on the land tours. Cruise ship passengers are a nuisance, exception are guests from the river boats.

part of post deleted

Even in  some Carib  ports that have resorts, hotels. time shares,  and  full time  economies. (Like Gr Cayman and some French island  ports),   some folks, are quite happy to see the ships leave.  Tourists  spend money and add jobs,   but also add to the overall congestion at the beaches and on the roads.  Some full time res and time share owners we have met,  hide out on big ship days!

• Like 1

I heard that part of the eventual reopening plan for various business premises including restaurants will call for a ban on air conditioning in addition to social distancing. This will surely prove to be a huge issue for cruise ships in the future. I found this research paper https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

18 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

I heard that part of the eventual reopening plan for various business premises including restaurants will call for a ban on air conditioning in addition to social distancing. This will surely prove to be a huge issue for cruise ships in the future. I found this research paper https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

Interesting.  I can say that it would be very difficult for businesses to forego air conditioning here in the south...no way.  Think there will need to be much more research on that before drawing any definitive conclusions.  This further highlights one of the major problems with this virus.  Science is in such a hurry to know more, understandably so, that things get published and become widely accepted as fact before all the research data results are available...thus, leaving people feeling confused about what's what.  

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've cancelled a September booked cruise on Oceania and received refund within a week. I'm leaving my "future cruise deposits" in with Celebrity for the time being even though I don't plan on cruising for quite some time. Three reasons-it's only $200, I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount time on the phone and I WILL cruise again, especially on Celebrity and Oceania-just not comfortable at this time. 

I foresee doing land trips whether they be in the US, Europe or whatever along with possibility of river cruising for the near future once the initial "stay at home" orders are lifted. Intellectually, I do not see much difference between cruising on a big ship and on a 130-140 passenger ship on a river cruise but in my mind, less people equate to perhaps a bit more safety. I could be DEAD wrong however. A previous river cruise on Uniworld was excellent and we wouldn't mind trying them again. 

Most of us on this board have it in their DNA to be cruising or traveling. It's a hard habit to put on hold. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Flattened the curve nationally?  I think not.  Yesterday featured the highest number of new cases to date.  Over 36,000.  Previous high was 34,000 on April 9th, over 2 weeks ago.  Also in NC, where we both live, the highest new cases yet yesterday.

Yes it is interesting to look at the total US curve direction and numbers- but that does not drive re-opening decisions.  In reality there was no US federal mandate to all of the states about lock downs and closings.  Our country simply does not operate that way.  Individual state governors have all of the decision-making power - even though we are all connected.  So the national numbers and curve are not being used as the signal for re-opening of the economy.   Maybe a bit of a surprise from those of you outside the US.  It is not up to the President or Congress or even the CDC to open the country again.  It is up to the individual governors.  Some governors have banded together regionally (NY-NJ-MA-PA-DE-CT-RI) and (CA-WA-OR) as examples.  Others perhaps have acted prematurely but in fact re-opening will be done in stages per state with some types of restrictions lifted before others.  And some states have very few reported cases and deaths relative to others.  But it is the slope of the curves of states that determine everything, not national curves.  

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes it is interesting to look at the total US curve direction and numbers- but that does not drive re-opening decisions.  In reality there was no US federal mandate to all of the states about lock downs and closings.  Our country simply does not operate that way.  Individual state governors have all of the decision-making power - even though we are all connected.  So the national numbers and curve are not being used as the signal for re-opening of the economy.   Maybe a bit of a surprise from those of you outside the US.  It is not up to the President or Congress or even the CDC to open the country again.  It is up to the individual governors.  Some governors have banded together regionally (NY-NJ-MA-PA-DE-CT-RI) and (CA-WA-OR) as examples.  Others perhaps have acted prematurely but in fact re-opening will be done in stages per state with some types of restrictions lifted before others.  And some states have very few reported cases and deaths relative to others.  But it is the slope of the curves of states that determine everything, not national curves.  

Exactly. Operates much more like 50 “countries” than one. Sometimes that’s good sometimes not. 

In CT, it is not relevant to the governors decisions what is happening in Wyoming.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

Folks, in Canada it is the same, each of the Provinces can determine their own restrictions and opening strategy - so it is not a US thing. It is based on the unique circumstances in each Province. In Ontario we remain in lock down big time and protests are emerging now. 

We are flat lining big time but no seeming options analysis happening about isolating high risk folks and starting the emerging process.

There was no mobbing of the hospitals and the virus intake centres like in schools are being taken down.