Will Radiance be ready for Dec 2020 cruise?

bluesman0711

Navantia will continue without activity until at least April 26

• The inter-center committee rejects that the shipyards be opened to the auxiliary industry while the state of alarm is in force

The owner of the 'Carnival Victory' transfers half a thousand people from Navantia Puerto Real to the Malaga airport to be repatriated to their countries of origin.The owner of the 'Carnival Victory' transfers half a thousand people from Navantia Puerto Real to the Malaga airport to be repatriated to their countries of origin.

The owner of the 'Carnival Victory' transfers half a thousand people from Navantia Puerto Real to the Malaga airport to be repatriated to their countries of origin. / FITO CARRETO

ALEJANDRO MARTINApril 08, 2020 - 18:47

The Navantia shipyards will remain idle until at least April 26 , the date on which the last extension of the state of alarm expires . The inter-center committee, which forms the commission that follows the situation caused by the coronavirus epidemic , has opposed this Wednesday that its reopening for the auxiliary industry be brought forward if the government relaxes from next week the ban on working for all non-essential activity. 

The president of the Navantia Puerto Real works council, Marga Forné, who is also part of the inter-center committee, has expressed her concern that " in some center people are being sent to work in the shipyards without taking into account that This forum is the one that has to debate in what circumstances is each center to resume the activity ".

"It cannot be that the auxiliary industry is the one sacrificed when it comes to returning to workplaces that have not been sanitized or do not have enough PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). It cannot be said that as of this Monday they are leaving to resume activities ", Forne said, stressing that no activity is foreseen until the alarm state is lifted. The inter-center committee plans to meet next Wednesday to assess the situation and plan to return to work in the two weeks following April 26, hoping that the state of alarm will be revoked on that date.

The president of the Puerto Real committee has recalled that an average of 2,000 people enter the shipyard each day, among own and auxiliary industry workers and visitors. "It is necessary to plan the shifts well and sanitize the center , something that has not yet been done," Forne stressed, adding that it would be a mistake to "push forward falsely" since so far there have been no positives in the staff. "We want to return to work but in an orderly manner. What we cannot do is open the door and that a week later people have a fever," he stressed.

The Navantia shipyards in the Bay of Cádiz have been inactive since last March 16, when the construction and repair work on ships was suspended. The presence of workers has been reduced to the minimum necessary to  ensure maintenance and that it can return to normal as soon as possible  after the alarm state has passed. Among the essential areas, medical services, firefighting, financial - for the management of payments to the auxiliary industry - maintenance and cleaning are maintained. In the case of Puerto Real, it is also necessary to repair the damaged crane in an accident on March 18, when it was displaced by the wind and hit one of the porticos 

Workload

The coronavirus epidemic has surprised shipyards in the Bay of Cádiz with several works in progress. The main one is the corvettes contract  for Saudi Arabia , which was even ahead of the established deadlines. Furthermore, the launch of the first corvette  was scheduled for April

As for Puerto Real, it had three contracts related to the off-shore business:  a platform for an oil field in Norway  that was due to be ready next May; The construction of  20 supports for the Moray Firth Offshore East offshore wind farm , and the structure of a  floating mill for the Kincardine field , both in Scotland.

In the area of repairs, the situation has surprised just when two important works were going to start in the cruise sector. In Puerto Real the 'Carnival Victory ' is moored  . Throughout the past week, most of its crew were evacuated 

The other commission that was going to start in this period was the reform in the Cádiz shipyard of the 'Allure of the Seas'. Although Royal Caribbean had initially decided to limit the beaching, postponing the cabin reform,  the shipowner has finally decided to suspend it 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, tandemcruzr said:

Ugh 😞 Bad news for us. We are booked for 11/21 and 11/29 for our 50th and 51st cruises. Fingers crossed.  🙂 

We are booked for the 11/21 sailing as well.  Taking the entire family on a Thanksgiving cruise.

I know the last report I heard was the Radiance wouldn't sail at all until 11/1 but I wonder if she

does sail at the time - will she pick up the original planned sailing for 11/1 and continue on with the

others as planned.  I guess what I'm trying to ask is will all the sailings up until 11/1 just be cancelled

and then they will pick up with the sailings from that point forward?

Keeping our fingers crossed for all of us.  I certainly hope a reoccurrence of this doesn't happen in the

fall.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GeorgiaMomof4 said:

We are booked for the 11/21 sailing as well.  Taking the entire family on a Thanksgiving cruise.

I know the last report I heard was the Radiance wouldn't sail at all until 11/1 but I wonder if she

does sail at the time - will she pick up the original planned sailing for 11/1 and continue on with the

others as planned.  I guess what I'm trying to ask is will all the sailings up until 11/1 just be cancelled

and then they will pick up with the sailings from that point forward?

Keeping our fingers crossed for all of us.  I certainly hope a reoccurrence of this doesn't happen in the

fall.

The radiance bookings through and including Nov 1 have been cancelled... I assume they will move forward from there with the same schedule.