Attention Over 70 Year Old Cruisers

dag144

We've completed 50+ cruises over the past 20 years.  I'm in my mid 70"s and take care of myself though I suffer form afflictions common to one of my age, all of which are under control.  Right now, we have 2 cruises planned for Princess in 2021 after cancelling a Mediterranean  cruise scheduled for this July.  At this juncture, we will not take these cruises if COVID 19 is still an issue.  

All cruise lines have demonstrated tone deafness regarding this pandemic.  But for various regulatory bodies, I'm quite certain that cruises would be taking place as I type this.  As to medical requirements/certifications, they should be applicable  for every passenger boarding the ship. No discrimination.  If they choose to go that route, (one requirement for those over 70 and one for everyone else) our days of cruising are over.  

On 4/22/2020 at 12:01 PM, Essiesmom said:

Certainly those are advantages to being registered abroad.  But the bald fact is that they cannot be registered here because they are not built in the US.  The US no longer has any shipyards building large cruise ships.  The only US flagged large cruise ship is on one of two hulls built in the US and then abandoned.  NCL purchased them and towed them to Europe for completion.  I believe they got what amounts to a Papal Dispensation from Congress to do this.  EM

Doesn’t matter where the ship is built.  They are all foreign registered so they don’t pay US taxes.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, richsea said:

Really? I must have been lucky on over 40 cruises; never witnessed that. But I’m also not a doctor, so wouldn’t presume to know who is or is not should ve cruising by passing them in the hall.

77 cruises and I have seen it and yes I am a dr

On 4/22/2020 at 7:59 AM, 1Gizmo said:

Diabetes has Type 1 type 2 and pre-diabetes.  Type 1 requires  insulin Type 2 medication and diet. Pre maybe on medication and diet. Are they goino restrict all types? I have Type 2 since 2005 with medication I have never even come close to needing to go to the hospital.  I'm still as healthy as many well below my age or healthier.

Bingo

On 4/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, nbsjcruiser said:

But it  says "severe, chronic" not just chronic so I'd assume that if one had high blood pressure that was controlled then that would be fine. 

And that is written in stone where to never be changed?

On 4/22/2020 at 12:12 PM, Fat Albert said:

did they list obesity? this might be a big issue for many passenger being denied because of BMI is categorized as obese and that is a high risk factor for wuhan virus death.

I hadn't heard that.  Fortunately, my perhaps obese days are in the distant past.

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

And that is written in stone where to never be changed?

It's already been changed.  I find it odd that Princess has dated announcements and without changing the date, they have, in fact, changed the wording on the announcement.  That language has disappeared from their site.  

We have a July 4, 2020 cruise booked on Ruby Princess out of Seattle. But since Princess hasn't  cancelled, we are afraid to chance our lives. This especially being 70 & many Carona viruses on that ship in Australia. If we cancel now & take a FCC(If allowed for our deposit), I see that the same cruise for 2021 is about $1,000 more. DOES THAT MAKE SENCE? For that same itinerary as this year which we wanted to include Glacier Bay & Skagway, would be on Emerald Princess for 2021. We had originally booked in early January 2020. Called the online travel agent I originally booked with who now says they will check with Princess given our ages & their new health restrictions. Also is Glacier Bay all it's cracked up to be as not many ships go there. But must see Glaciers if taking Alaska  cruise + want the Skagway train excursion. Some say Glacier  Bay is best versus Endicott Arm or others.   
Wait...Travel agent checked with Princess & called me back today. Princess told agent rep that over 70 both w/ high blood pressure  & cancer survivors we would need a doctor  note ok to board our Ruby Princess in Seattle. Otherwise we would need to cancel. But, travel agency insists they(agency, not Princess) would still charge us their $100 cancellation fee even if we accept a FCC. It's NUTS.  But, it's in their fine print. Of course, if Princess cancels, then no $100 fee & maybe bonus for accepting FCC. They will let me wait a week  on decision. Otherwise my final payment is due.
ANY ADVICE is appreciated. 

On 4/22/2020 at 7:33 AM, wannagonow123 said:

I got an e-mail from Princess this morning that had new guidelines for when they re-open. (Of course subject to change). Did not make reference to ages, however no passengers with chronic diseases will be allowed to board. (diabetes/ COPD).  Refund to be given if disclosed before boarding. If you lie and don't disclose and are caught, you will be put off at next port to fend for yourself to get home.

Well I'm not diabetic yet although at my last physical my doctor warned me my blood sugar levels are creeping up. Nothing that a few pounds lost won't look after. Doing daily walks and am up to an hour now plus watching calorie intake should do the trick. No other health issues.  

Diabetes has Type 1 type 2 and pre-diabetes.  Type 1 requires  insulin Type 2 medication and diet. Pre maybe on medication and diet. Are they goino restrict all types? I have Type 2 since 2005 with medication I have never even come close to needing to go to the hospital.  I'm still as healthy as many well below my age or healthier.

Looks like folks are jumping to conclusions before any changes have been adopted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LaineyParker said:

Looks like folks are jumping to conclusions before any changes have been adopted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And way too many people willing to share their medical history with complete strangers, albeit, behind of veil of anonymity.  But still ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of speculation about who can and cannot cruise in the future.  I will wait until the ships actually start cruising and then read the medical requirements.  I would think that Princess is well aware of who their base is and would not want to impact their bottom line.  They are under pressure from the CDC and others here in the US as well as WHO requirements and foreign government requirements to use their ports.  So now we just set back and wait.

I have a medical doctor appointment coming up (if the stay at home is lifted) and intend to ask him about the form that RCL is using.  My guess is that he will refuse to sign it.  

17 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

It's already been changed.  I find it odd that Princess has dated announcements and without changing the date, they have, in fact, changed the wording on the announcement.  That language has disappeared from their site.  

Exactly.

• Like 1

According to the CEO of Carnival; he said, "whatever the CDC wants, we will comply with".  Safety of passengers and crew are our first priority.  His interview with CNBC gave me hope that all will be well, and the travel industry will be back this year. Have a nice Sunday.

7 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

According to the CEO of Carnival; he said, "whatever the CDC wants, we will comply with".  Safety of passengers and crew are our first priority.  His interview with CNBC gave me hope that all will be well, and the travel industry will be back this year. Have a nice Sunday.

I love cruising and really do hope they return in 2020, however, very nervous to travel unless vaccinated. 

drakes2;  I understand where you're coming from.  You are not alone in wanting to be vaccinated.  My hope is the scientists can combine the flu shot and covid shot into one.  Who knows;  we shall see.  Have a nice Sunday.  

40 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

drakes2;  I understand where you're coming from.  You are not alone in wanting to be vaccinated.  My hope is the scientists can combine the flu shot and covid shot into one.  Who knows;  we shall see.  Have a nice Sunday.  

@AF-1 On my most recent cruise last October I developed a sore throat the last 3 days of an 11 day cruise. Very mild and disappeared on its own. The same thing happened in March 2019 while on another cruise so now wondering if it's due to something I picked up during the sailing. Seems to be the only time I've been unwell.  Have a nice Sunday also. 😀

On 4/22/2020 at 7:33 AM, wannagonow123 said:

I got an e-mail from Princess this morning that had new guidelines for when they re-open. (Of course subject to change). Did not make reference to ages, however no passengers with chronic diseases will be allowed to board. (diabetes/ COPD).  Refund to be given if disclosed before boarding. If you lie and don't disclose and are caught, you will be put off at next port to fend for yourself to get home.

The problem with this is that all diabetes is not the same.  If an individual has Type II diabetes which may just require an oral or injectable hypoglycemic chances of complications are much much less than a Type I which requires daily use of insulin. 

On 4/22/2020 at 9:59 AM, 1Gizmo said:

I am a physician, when I see a patient over the age of 60 I can usually count on him to have some degree of either diabetes, hypertension, obesity, or hyperlipidemia.  Is Princess or some other cruise line would not permit these individuals, who usually have the money to pay for more exotic cruises, they would not to stay (forgive the pun) afloat. 

Encouraging young families would not be a better solution.  Children are usually prone to carry respiratory and G.I. Infections, which, being young, they usually remain asymptomatic, but could certainly give it to other cruisers. 

18 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

I am a physician, when I see a patient over the age of 60 I can usually count on him to have some degree of either diabetes, hypertension, obesity, or hyperlipidemia.  Is Princess or some other cruise line would not permit these individuals, who usually have the money to pay for more exotic cruises, they would not to stay (forgive the pun) afloat. 

Encouraging young families would not be a better solution.  Children are usually prone to carry respiratory and G.I. Infections, which, being young, they usually remain asymptomatic, but could certainly give it to other cruisers. 

I am 73 with no health issues, no medication.   Walk 3 miles five days a week, eat a healthy diet, never smoked, blood work and heart excellent, no high blood pressure or cholesterol issues.  My grandmother lived to be 106, only took aspirin, no other medicine,  so I guess it may be good genetics and healthy lifestyle.   If I walked into your office you would be disappointed, I have none of the above which you listed.   I have been cruising for 20 years, I want to get back to it.   I will not live my life in fear or the what-ifs, I could die tomorrow in a car accident.  Now if there is a letter like the one RCCL requires my doctor will not sign it, due to the wording, not because of my health, she says she hopes she is as healthy as I am when she is 70, and she is probably in her fifties and overweight.    By the way I was doing washy-washy long before it was recommended, always wash my hands.  I am probably OCD about that.    My mother use to joke it was a wonder I still had hands.  

• Like 2

PattiHere;  thanks for your bio.  Don't sweat it;  by the time cruising gets going (Oct is my guess);  the age requirement will be gone from the wording.  I never did find age restriction on Princess website.  People said it was there;  don't know; couldn't find it.  Have a great Sunday.  

• Like 2