Who are Holland America's target market?

ren0312

What I liked was, was that HAL was not focused on glitzy diversions and younger people like Princess, Celebrity.

I view HAL and Cunard to be similar - more tied to the ocean, more intellectual with great speakers (Cunard way ahead here), more different itineraries, classy and a tad formal.

I wish to purchase a ship experience, period. I can buy a Vega resort type experience in many places.

Not sure how HAL will fit into the new cruise order.

Heard way too many complaints about constant downgrading of the product sufficient that I will not purchase HAL. This is true of all the cruise lines, hence why I have not cruised lately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The best port lectures we ever had were from a cruise director John Lawrence also on a Princess cruise (Baltic). One of the things that made his talks special was that he not only described the ship excursions, but also how to do the port on your own.

John Lawrence was a gem. You don't run across his like every day. He made our great Baltic cruise even better with his CD on doing ports on your own and his history lectures onboard ship.

• Like 1

For us we actually switched over to Celebrity and Princess because we found we could usually book at least an Aqua class cabin, and sometimes even a sky suite if we booked early enough, on Celebrity or a full suite on a 3-5 week Princess cruise for about the same price as we would pay for a HAL vista suite, which is basically a veranda cabin, on a similar itinerary. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

It is strictly itinerary, ship, and price for us.  We feel as much pull to HAL as we do to Princess, Celebrity, etc.

We see very little difference between them other than the logo on  the funnel and the design and decor of the ships.   I realize many wax poetic about the food and the service and swear that every HAL cruise is the most wonderful cruise in all respects.   We don't see any difference but perhaps it is because we do not take longer cruises.  We have an alternative impression of the quiet elegance attribute.

Our impression is that many of the mass market cruise lines, including HAL, are on a quick  march to the lowest common denominator. 

We are in our late sixties.  Is HAL marketing to us?   Well if they are then they have certainly missed the boat.

Does not matter.  I suspect post covid will be an entirely new ball game for the cruise lines that survive or are allowed to survive by the corporate owners.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

John Lawrence was a gem. You don't run across his like every day. He made our great Baltic cruise even better with his CD on doing ports on your own and his history lectures onboard ship.

He was one of a kind. He's actually the only cruise director whose name I remember, and our cruise with him was way back in 2007.

So, you do not wish to sail with imperfect seniors, or  childen 'being  children.'     Which demographic would you reference as being acceptable?and with which  demographic  would you agree to sail?   🙂      🤷‍♀️ :shrug:

Edited by sail7seas

HAL has several different markets. There are the 7 day Caribbean and Alaskan cruises, the 14 day Med cruises,  longer 30 plus day cruises, and the world cruises.  Surely these different cruises have different target markets-some may include proportional segments from all of those cruise types. Not to mention the diverse ship offerings in their fleet. 

We are not very interested in 7 day, 30 plus day, or world cruises.   We would, and do look at any competitive offerings under the 20 day mark.

Difficult for HAL to come up with a one size fits all marketing strategy.  Especially when their product for the most part,  from our perspective, is one of the 'bunch' and not very distinguishable (other than by individual ship) from any other mass market cruise line offering.

Perhaps HAL's market offerings, their ships, and their target markets will align more closely post covid.

• Like 2

Good luck,  I hope your cruise sails as scheduled  and you have a great  time.

my  Unfortunatelycruise booked for August was cancelled with no

suit able replacement   possible.   😞

1 hour ago, iancal said:

HAL has several different markets. There are the 7 day Caribbean and Alaskan cruises, the 14 day Med cruises,  longer 30 plus day cruises, and the world cruises.  Surely these different cruises have different target markets-some may include proportional segments from all of those cruise types. Not to mention the diverse ship offerings in their fleet. 

We are not very interested in 7 day, 30 plus day, or world cruises.   We would, and do look at any competitive offerings under the 20 day mark.

Difficult for HAL to come up with a one size fits all marketing strategy.  Especially when their product for the most part,  from our perspective, is one of the 'bunch' and not very distinguishable (other than by individual ship) from any other mass market cruise line offering.

Perhaps HAL's market offerings, their ships, and their target markets will align more closely post covid.

Great post. HAL isn't a monolith.  They cater to different travelers with different cruises. World cruises have different passengers than seven day cruises. We like 14 to 28 day cruises. We like seeing new ports but also don't mind a few sea days strung together. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Great post. HAL isn't a monolith.  They cater to different travelers with different cruises. World cruises have different passengers than seven day cruises. We like 14 to 28 day cruises. We like seeing new ports but also don't mind a few sea days strung together. 

The 14-28 day is our sweet spot too. And the itinerary has to be interesting also, we have yet to do a repeat of a previous cruise in our 130+ days of HAL. Now we have hit a few ports multiple times, as its hard not to cruise Northern Europe without most of the itineraries touch the major ports (Dublin, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, etc.). Ah and an occasional sea day is just whats called for after 4 or more port intensive days in a row. A chance to sleep in a little and just relax. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, drowelf said:

The 14-28 day is our sweet spot too. And the itinerary has to be interesting also, we have yet to do a repeat of a previous cruise in our 130+ days of HAL. Now we have hit a few ports multiple times, as its hard not to cruise Northern Europe without most of the itineraries touch the major ports (Dublin, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, etc.). Ah and an occasional sea day is just whats called for after 4 or more port intensive days in a row. A chance to sleep in a little and just relax. 

That is where we are at as well.  We have lots of nights on HAL, Seabourn, Silversea, Regent and Princess.  We sail for the IT and for ports we haven’t seen...... but not repeating is now very difficult 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 4:37 PM, npcl said:

On my most recent HAL cruises It seemed to be more of adding the duties of the port lecturer to the job of CD, and getting rid of the port lecturer, than getting rid of the CD.

You're probably right.  I think I just had a lame one on Eurodam.  She had zero energy.

Then again, I really liked a former CD named Hamish, but he didn't seem to be too popular with the regular HAL crowd around here.  I think he had a little too much energy for some of these folks. 😉

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2

I think right now their target market is anyone willing to book a cruise and pay 100% at the time of booking, later cancel that booking and offer FCC's instead of a refund and hoping the customer is OK with all of that. It really seems to be the business model right now.

-Paul

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kangforpres said:

I think right now their target market is anyone willing to book a cruise and pay 100% at the time of booking, later cancel that booking and offer FCC's instead of a refund and hoping the customer is OK with all of that. It really seems to be the business model right now.

-Paul

Seems right, though they'd probably settle for at least a deposit.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 11:27 AM, KroozNut said:

Wait, wait, wait... They eliminated cruise directors... When?.. Must've been relatively recently; last 18 mos or so? Because on our last Eurodam sailing, I got to know our CD fairly well, and chatted with her often whenever we bumped into each other around the ship.

"Gone are the little touches such as the fresh flowers on the table (MDR and buffet) and the numerous arrangements around the ship"..

Similar comment here.. when? Again, beautiful fresh flower and orchid arrangements throughout the ship (Eurodam) on our last sailing in Dec 2018.. we loved them!

The CD's on HAL have not been eliminated; there has been a name change to, are you ready? "Cruise and Travel Director" as they've given them the added responsibility of what used to be the travel guide. Stupid move in my humble opinion  

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Aquahound said:

You're probably right.  I think I just had a lame one on Eurodam.  She had zero energy.

Then again, I really liked a former CD named Hamish, but he didn't seem to be too popular with the regular HAL crowd around here.  I think he had a little too much energy for some of these folks. 😉

HAL Cruise Director Hamish Davis.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The CD's on HAL have not been eliminated; there has been a name change to, are you ready? "Cruise and Travel Director" as they've given them the added responsibility of what used to be the travel guide. Stupid move in my humble opinion  

They also dressed them up in the ugliest grey suits available that took away all individuality and personality.  The bar staff and MDR waiters are better dressed than the CDs 😉 Come to think of it, so are the room stewards and tender drivers!

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Mario Vine on the Westerdam several years ago was the best.  He rocked energy and kept the guests involved with everything.  Always reminded you daily of things coming up.  Loved him.

Mario is also one of our favourites.  Very personable and very present everywhere on the ship.  His interaction with Captain Rens Van Eerten remains unmatched.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Mario is also one of our favourites.  Very personable and very present everywhere on the ship.  His interaction with Captain Rens Van Eerten remains unmatched.

Totally agree.  🙂 

Hammish has done the last two world cruises so it would seem he has the approval of the in crowd.  It’s a thankless job even worse on the world cruise where sooooo many people feel entitled to special treatment.  I think he does a great job in a very difficult role.

• Like 2