Who are Holland America's target market?

ren0312

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Hammish has done the last two world cruises so it would seem he has the approval of the in crowd.  It’s a thankless job even worse on the world cruise where sooooo many people feel entitled to special treatment.  I think he does a great job in a very difficult role.

That's good to hear.  For some reason, I thought he went over to another cruise line.  🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Hammish has done the last two world cruises so it would seem he has the approval of the in crowd.  It’s a thankless job even worse on the world cruise where sooooo many people feel entitled to special treatment.  I think he does a great job in a very difficult role.

We were on the 2019 WC.  The four of us thought he was dreadful ... the worst CD we had ever had.  Of course, we are in no way part of the "in crowd" !! although we are all 5* on HAL and frequent cruisers on other lines.

Appeal of CDs is subjective, of course!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

We were on the 2019 WC.  The four of us thought he was dreadful ... the worst CD we had ever had.  Of course, we are in no way part of the "in crowd" !! although we are all 5* on HAL and frequent cruisers on other lines.

Having never taken a world or grand cruise, I wonder what negative impact the "click" and "in crowd" factor has on the enjoyment of the cruise by others and especially new-comers over-all. Very little, I hope.

• Like 3

DFD1, we were first-time World Cruisers (but already 5* with many long cruises on HAL) traveling with another couple with the same "status"    We found the overall atmosphere to be very clique-y, at least with the folks who had done 5, 10, 15 or more World Cruises.   Because we had each other, and met some wonderful folks on board, we had a great time and we never felt too negatively impacted by the many demands & expectations of the repeaters.

An earlier poster on this thread commented that different types of cruises would appeal to different types of cruisers.  We've taken all kinds of cruises on HAL and this is certainly true.  The WC was by far the "oldest" passenger mix we've ever experienced.  We ourselves are approaching our late 60s and felt pretty young on the cruise.  

When things have settled down and HAL starts up again (fingers crossed!) we'll see what their marketing strategy will be.  I think it will be very hard for any cruise lines to attract a lot of new cruisers, based on how badly most of them handled the beginning of the pandemic, so I think they will have to get their Regulars back, but I don't know if HAL really wants many of us on their ships again.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

They also dressed them up in the ugliest grey suits available that took away all individuality and personality.  The bar staff and MDR waiters are better dressed than the CDs 😉 Come to think of it, so are the room stewards and tender drivers!

A heads up; those grey suits and orange ties (CD Hamish in 1st pic again) are worn by male Front Office staff as well (2nd pic)

2018-AMDM-GWV_President-Orlando-Ashford_Annie-Scrivanich_Captain-Jonathan-Mercer_Cruise-Director-Hamish-Davis_Director-Mariner-Society-Gerald-Bernhoft.jpg

Holland America Eurodam crew greets each passenger.

9 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Having never taken a world or grand cruise, I wonder what negative impact the "click" and "in crowd" factor has on the enjoyment of the cruise by others and especially new-comers over-all. Very little, I hope.

We were first timers on the 2020 World Cruise. We had a blast. ( well, until COVID, and the end of the world, and being marooned on the far side of the globe, and that sort of thing). 
The vast majority were  Presidents Club or at least 4 or 5 star mariners. Those who sail year after year were great to us. Neither of us ever felt looked down on for being first timers, and came away with great memories and new friendships. We are already booked on the 2021 Grand Africa, and hope to see some familiar faces.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We were first timers on the 2020 World Cruise. We had a blast. ( well, until COVID, and the end of the world, and being marooned on the far side of the globe, and that sort of thing). 
The vast majority were  Presidents Club or at least 4 or 5 star mariners. Those who sail year after year were great to us. Neither of us ever felt looked down on for being first timers, and came away with great memories and new friendships. We are already booked on the 2021 Grand Africa, and hope to see some familiar faces.

That is great to hear. Glad you're ready to go again. I hope it is soon.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

I may be biased because Hamish helped with our Vow Renewal last fall on the Nieuw Statendam, but we thought he was great. Just curious, what was it you didn't like about him? 

13 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Oh, you have no idea!  😉

I have taken two over 30 day cruises with HAL and have never concerned myself or even noticed there was an “in crowd”.  I guess my social radar is on ignore. 😊

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Cliques, really?   I truly am in a different world. 🤷‍♀️ 

I've heard from solo passengers they found this to be true on the World Cruise. Some of the repeaters (of which there are many, apparently) didn't want to share their dining space, didn't want anyone but their cruise friends on the trivia team, saved seats in the theatre, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I've heard from solo passengers they found this to be true on the World Cruise. Some of the repeaters (of which there are many, apparently) didn't want to share their dining space, didn't want anyone but their cruise friends on the trivia team, saved seats in the theatre, etc.  

And complained & complained & complained about every picayune little thing.  And expected to be waited on first, in whatever venue, and waited on hand & foot wherever.  Tended to monopolize wait staff/bar staff/stewards/front desk/officers, but had no compunctions interrupting anyone else trying to communicate with staff about anything.

I do want to make it clear, however, that we also met some wonderful people on board, and had a wonderful time.  Would love to do it again one day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Value is a personal perception.  We have cruised on a number of lines.  HAL is a good cruise line but for our preferences , in general, no better value than a Celebrity or Princess.  I have no doubt that loyal cruisers of each of those three cruise lines would disagree. 

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have taken two over 30 day cruises with HAL and have never concerned myself or even noticed there was an “in crowd”.  I guess my social radar is on ignore. 😊

The World Cruise is different, even from long cruises such as you have taken. 
It's more like sailing with a neighborhood, where everyone else has lived there for years, and you are the new kid on the block. It takes a long time to become part of the group. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

And complained & complained & complained about every picayune little thing.  And expected to be waited on first, in whatever venue, and waited on hand & foot wherever.  Tended to monopolize wait staff/bar staff/stewards/front desk/officers, but had no compunctions interrupting anyone else trying to communicate with staff about anything.

And then they pretend those crewmembers they abused are their “friends,” and actually think the crew were always happy to see them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I think it’s what you make of it.  We have done three WC’s with our first in 2017.  We made lots of friends, some old timers, some first timers.  There is segment of passengers that does have a sense of entitlement but we have never let that slow us down.  There are also those who have their routines, where they sit, who they sit with etc but on such a long cruise almost everyone develops a routine. 

• Like 5

On 7/5/2020 at 12:58 PM, Roz said:

Absolutely there are a few people like that, who think they are Gods chosen and far above mere mortals. The same applies to every group of people I’ve ever met. Luckily, you soon recognize them and know who to ignore. Then you can focus on the awesome, friendly people who help make your whole experience above and beyond what you expected.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 3:21 PM, Copper10-8 said:

The CD's on HAL have not been eliminated; there has been a name change to, are you ready? "Cruise and Travel Director" as they've given them the added responsibility of what used to be the travel guide. Stupid move in my humble opinion  

Maybe that will change with our new Pres.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:21 PM, Copper10-8 said:

The CD's on HAL have not been eliminated; there has been a name change to, are you ready? "Cruise and Travel Director" as they've given them the added responsibility of what used to be the travel guide. Stupid move in my humble opinion  

I feel the same way those guys are run to death as it is. With added responsibility they will be spread thin and won’t be able to do what we’ve always experienced in the past on the WC. It was bad enough when Barbra retired with all her knowledge on travel ports. I miss Gene as the cruise director, he was quite the party hound. Nothing but good things to say about Hamash

• Like 2