Well....attempting to go back to Tahiti one more time. We'll see...

Petoonya

My Papeete-Hawaii-SF cruise on Oceania 4/14/20 was cancelled....who knows what the future will bring? But just to keep up the dream I rebooked same cruise for 4/4/21.

Don't think we'll be cruising at all unless a miracle vaccine is successful, but it feels good to have something on the books all the same.

How about you? Do you have any South Pacific cruise plans?

🙂

Like you, hoping by next Spring we will be able to go to the S. Pacific. We had cruises from Sydney to Fiji on 3/21/20 and Trans-Pacific (which included stops in Tahiti and Bora Bora) on 4/8/20 cancelled. Both were on Princess. Are considering booking the Fiji cruise again on 2/19/21 (Majestic Princess) but can't find a Trans-Pacific to follow without a big time gap between. May decide to stay on the Majestic to Hong Kong, but really would like to go back to French Polynesia. Maybe we'll make it there again in a couple years when this gets all sorted out, if the cruise lines survive.

Small island groups are justifiably terrified of cruise ships right now and will be for several years I think.  Especially any ship with the name 'Princess.'  It is however entirely feasible for much smaller ships, such as the Paul Gauguin/Ponant operation to resume within French Polynesian waters once flights get back to normal. 

Still booked on the Nov 4 Pacific Princess cruise RT Papeete. We have one week booked pre-cruise at a hotel in Moorea. If the cruise is cancelled, plan B is to just do the hotel part. I'm looking forward to making another trip to FP, if not this year, maybe next.

"If the cruise lines survive" 

Seems pretty obvious that there will be some bankruptcies. But the cruise ships will survive, even if their owners do not. We got the 8 R-Class ships through the bankruptcy of Renaissance during the Gulf War. Renaissance is gone, but their ships have been sailing on as Azamara, Oceania, Princess, etc.

I would expect that many cruise lines are going to get significantly smaller for a while. And some will go bankrupt. Many older ships will be scrapped.

Like Renaissance, there will probably be some newish ships that will go on the market really cheap. It will be interesting to see how many of the newbuilds on the order books get cancelled. Would be surprised to see some significant contraction amongst the ship builders. There are a huge number of new ships on order right now. Doesn't seem sustainable.

FP is not going away as a vacation destination. Cruises may be less popular, but I'll go there any way I can. Doesn't have to involve a cruise ship..

On 4/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, Mercruiser said:

"If the cruise lines survive" 

Seems pretty obvious that there will be some bankruptcies. But the cruise ships will survive, even if their owners do not. We got the 8 R-Class ships through the bankruptcy of Renaissance during the Gulf War. Renaissance is gone, but their ships have been sailing on as Azamara, Oceania, Princess, etc.

I would expect that many cruise lines are going to get significantly smaller for a while. And some will go bankrupt. Many older ships will be scrapped.

Like Renaissance, there will probably be some newish ships that will go on the market really cheap. It will be interesting to see how many of the newbuilds on the order books get cancelled. Would be surprised to see some significant contraction amongst the ship builders. There are a huge number of new ships on order right now. Doesn't seem sustainable.

FP is not going away as a vacation destination. Cruises may be less popular, but I'll go there any way I can. Doesn't have to involve a cruise ship..

From what I've heard, the larger capacity ships were already on the nose for their ability to over-run most of the south pacific islands.

Not 100% sure if that sentiment will change, but I wouldn't count on the mega ship TPs unless French Polynesia decide they can put up with the invasions so they can trade their way out of the recession.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:41 PM, Mercruiser said:

Ia orana,

I'm with you but hoping Oceania's ship Regatta (600 passengers same ship as Pacific Princess) will be one of the 'smaller' ships Fr. Polynesia will allow to port when and if it's feasible. If not, but smaller ships are eventually allowed to port, Wind Spirit (148) should fit in to plans. Prefer cruising on the water to a stationary hotel. Just hope there is some way to get back there in the next few years as most of us feel it's hard to top as a water destination.

Maururu for reading 🙂

• Like 1

We rebooked from our canceled RT LA to Tahiti on April 11 to the Pacific Princess (yay, I love the smaller ship) Vancouver-HA-Tahiti, but it includes more of the smaller islands which I love. I'm (actually my husband) is an optimist because it's for Sept. 16. I am researching and ever so hopeful, but won't be surprised if it doesn't happen. Petoonya, I may have to hit you up for more advice!

4 hours ago, back to the islands said:

We rebooked from our canceled RT LA to Tahiti on April 11 to the Pacific Princess (yay, I love the smaller ship) Vancouver-HA-Tahiti, but it includes more of the smaller islands which I love. I'm (actually my husband) is an optimist because it's for Sept. 16. I am researching and ever so hopeful, but won't be surprised if it doesn't happen. Petoonya, I may have to hit you up for more advice!

Thrilled for you that you've rebooked! Will be holding hands with you, teeth clenched, as our hopeful cruise is in April too. We'll just have to see how life goes I guess. Best wishes to you!

• 3 weeks later...

Our replacement September cruise was canceled when Princess canceled cruises through the fall. We will not attempt to reschedule until corona virus is gone. With the 2nd cancellation, and me being on the fence about cruising right now, we will just wait until the world is healthier. Besides, the point of the cruise is to see the South Pacific and I think it is still possible for ports to close. Hopefully, we will get the chance in the future! Best of luck to all of you!

Well, despite the state of the world right now I just booked Windstar for 5/2021, 17 days. As Fletcher says the possibility of the islands opening again is dubious. But oh well, prices are outstanding and we loved this cruise 1.5 years ago, so who knows? We'll probably switch it to July 2021 as there's the *possibility* of swimming with whales then. Final payment wouldn't be till April 2021 so we'd have until then to assess the situation and hope that Tahiti opens. And hope Windstar doesn't file for bankruptcy!

We'll probably cancel Oceania Tahiti-SF for April 2021.

Edited by Petoonya

We're kind of in the same situation. We're currently booked on the Wind Spirit Tahiti & Tuamotus for September 2020. My personal feeling is that it will be cancelled, but until either Air Tahiti Nui or Windstar officially cancel, we're kind of stuck, since our air and pre/post hotel are non-refundable. At least Windstar has pushed final payment until 30 days prior.

We're going to book a 7 day on Wind Spirit for 2021 (odd that they don't have any longer cruises until November), and spend perhaps 4 nights pre-cruise in an OWB on Moorea instead. I feel pretty confident that a vaccine will be available by then. Considered May, but think that may still be too early, and don't want to get stuck in this situation again.

2 hours ago, Zukini said:

Considered May, but think that may still be too early, and don't want to get stuck in this situation again.

Really sorry about your Sept position. You are really stuck. While it's still feasible I guess that Sept could be a go, also more likely as you say not. 😞

Not understanding that they have no longer cruises till November 2021. There are a lot of 10 and 11 day if you're willing to go a little earlier like July-October 2021. Best chances for good weather then too. An OWB In Moorea sounds wonderful too. Maybe considering Hilton Moorea? While I'm crazy about the Hilton Moorea would still do one of the 11 day WS cruises in place of that. The Hilton has an ideal location and the OWBs lovely.

Hope you get an answer to your dilemma soon. Windstar Tahiti prices 2021 are amazing right now.

I'm switching my cruise from May 2021 to July 2021. Two months is prob not going to make a difference with COVID, but whales starting mid-June.

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

An OWB In Moorea sounds wonderful too. Maybe considering Hilton Moorea? While I'm crazy about the Hilton Moorea would still do one of the 11 day WS cruises in place of that. The Hilton has an ideal location and the OWBs lovely.

Hope you get an answer to your dilemma soon.

While it's early yet, we're deciding between Sofitel and the Hilton.  We are leaning toward the Hilton, but that beach near the Sofitel is gorgeous and keeps tempting us, though the Sofitel is both a little more expensive and gets spottier reviews.

After the May 24th cruise here's a 10 day in July, and an 11 in August, and then nothing but 7 day cruises until November 11, but the summer isn't an ideal time for us to travel. I think the OWB will soften the blow, though 😁.  

Your right about the prices though.  That May cruise is nearly $4K less than what we paid for the currently booked September one.

Edited by Zukini

9 hours ago, Zukini said:

While it's early yet, we're deciding between Sofitel and the Hilton.  We are leaning toward the Hilton, but that beach near the Sofitel is gorgeous and keeps tempting us, though the Sofitel is both a little more expensive and gets spottier reviews.

After the May 24th cruise here's a 10 day in July, and an 11 in August, and then nothing but 7 day cruises until November 11, but the summer isn't an ideal time for us to travel. I think the OWB will soften the blow, though 😁.  

Your right about the prices though.  That May cruise is nearly $4K less than what we paid for the currently booked September one.

Zukini,

I just heard something really interesting especially for you! The proprieter of the B&B that we always stay at in Papeete said that there is talk of opening up Tahiti July 1! Now I don't know if that's accurate, or if it means cruise ships too, but it would be a start. Don't even know if because we're from the country that's had the most COVID cases if that makes a difference. But it's positive while not definitive news!

Nancy

7 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Zukini,

I just heard something really interesting especially for you! The proprieter of the B&B that we always stay at in Papeete said that there is talk of opening up Tahiti July 1! Now I don't know if that's accurate, or if it means cruise ships too, but it would be a start. Don't even know if because we're from the country that's had the most COVID cases if that makes a difference. But it's positive while not definitive news!

Nancy

I heard that as well, but a recent article that I read speculated that any near-term opening is going to be limited to what they term the "Oceania Bubble", which I presume means French Polynesia, New Zealand, and Australia. Since we have to start our travels at JFK, in the heart of the epidemic in the USA, I'm not going to hold my breath (no pun intended).  I can't imagine doing a back-to-back transcontinental - transpacific flight in the current environment.  

The fact that Princess ditched their Tahiti cruises until at least November makes me think cruising in FP may be off for 2020, but who knows, perhaps things will change dramatically for the better. Best we can do is make somewhat educated guesses about the future, basing them on our own risk tolerance. 

1 minute ago, Zukini said:

I heard that as well, but a recent article that I read speculated that any near-term opening is going to be limited to what they term the "Oceania Bubble", which I presume means French Polynesia, New Zealand, and Australia. Since we have to start our travels at JFK, in the heart of the epidemic in the USA, I'm not going to hold my breath (no pun intended).  I can't imagine doing a back-to-back transcontinental - transpacific flight in the current environment.  

The fact that Princess ditched their Tahiti cruises until at least November makes me think cruising in FP may be off for 2020, but who knows, perhaps things will change dramatically for the better. Best we can do is make somewhat educated guesses about the future, basing them on our own risk tolerance. 

My views are fairly undereducated obviously and I remain probably a little too optomistic. Sure appreciate your perspective.

There was a woman on the Oceania board who was on the cruise before me in April. She flew from Florida to LAX, and while on layover at LAX the cruise was cancelled! This is more than a fluid situation as it was in March, it's very glum.

1 minute ago, Petoonya said:

My views are fairly undereducated obviously and I remain probably a little too optomistic.

Gosh, I sure hope you didn't feel that I was implying your views were either too optimistic or uneducated!  In fact, your previous posts both here and on the Windstar board have been enormously helpful to me as we've tried to decide on the best excursions and tour operators for each island! 

If I weren't such a pessimist, we probably would have run into each other on your May cruise, since I had seriously considered that as my initial alternative!

46 minutes ago, Zukini said:

Gosh, I sure hope you didn't feel that I was implying your views were either too optimistic or uneducated!  In fact, your previous posts both here and on the Windstar board have been enormously helpful to me as we've tried to decide on the best excursions and tour operators for each island! 

If I weren't such a pessimist, we probably would have run into each other on your May cruise, since I had seriously considered that as my initial alternative!

Oh not at all Zukini! My hopes are a little pie in the sky is all. I'm not looking at it from all angles. I've loved talking to you here. I sure wish that September would work out for you. Such a perfect time to be there. Our first Wind Spirit was in Sept and everyday was sunshine. Plus you'll get the whales! Is Air Tahiti Nui selling space for Sept at the moment?

5 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Oh not at all Zukini! My hopes are a little pie in the sky is all. I'm not looking at it from all angles. I've loved talking to you here. I sure wish that September would work out for you. Such a perfect time to be there. Our first Wind Spirit was in Sept and everyday was sunshine. Plus you'll get the whales! Is Air Tahiti Nui selling space for Sept at the moment?

For September of 2021? No, not yet.  They post their flights about 360 days in advance, so I won't be able to see their September 2021 flights until September of this year.  Our 2020 flights are bought and paid for, but are non-refundable. I'll be able to change them for a $250 fee per ticket, but I'll have to wait until mid September to do that (unless they cancel, or another circumstance allows us to utilize our insurance).

And yes, whales (and the weather) were one of the reasons we originally chose September, and we were booked with Dr. Poole in Moorea. Moving to September 2021 will give us another opportunity for that, especially since we'll be staying on Moorea pre-cruise.

1 hour ago, Zukini said:

For September of 2021? No, not yet.  They post their flights about 360 days in advance, so I won't be able to see their September 2021 flights until September of this year.  Our 2020 flights are bought and paid for, but are non-refundable. I'll be able to change them for a $250 fee per ticket, but I'll have to wait until mid September to do that (unless they cancel, or another circumstance allows us to utilize our insurance).

And yes, whales (and the weather) were one of the reasons we originally chose September, and we were booked with Dr. Poole in Moorea. Moving to September 2021 will give us another opportunity for that, especially since we'll be staying on Moorea pre-cruise.

Boy oh boy. I am communicating poorly today! I meant Sept 2020 regarding ATN. Just was wondering if they were offering flights with the possible expectation of flying to Papeete. My ATN tickets were also non-refundable for our April cruise but since the cruise was canceled we were able to get a full refund from ATN.

I crazily booked a one way on UAL for my April 2021 one way PPT-SFO cruise on Oceania. It was $343. Now I'm sure I'll be eating that for the May 2021 Windstar. UAL has not been the friendly skies with this whole thing for many folks.

Glad you're thinking of next Sept! And Dr. Poole. I'll still keep my fingers crossed for you for Sept 2020.

Best wishes to you 🙂

36 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I meant Sept 2020 regarding ATN. Just was wondering if they were offering flights with the possible expectation of flying to Papeete.

Yes, their pause in operations (at this point) only extends to July 1st, so they are currently selling tickets for this September.  I suspect they'll push it out one month at a time.  

Sadly I have had no luck with Tahiti and French Polynesia. Our first attempt was when they had a huge very nasty zika outbreak, so we cancelled,  then I had some medical issues two years ago that resulted in having to cancel,  followed by Princess cancelling our October trip this year.  Hoping one day we get to actually visit this beautiful place!