SS/RCCL Finances: Improving, Options, Questions??!!

TLCOhio

15 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I have to say that Starlink is a game changer.  In March On Silversea Antarctica/cape to Cape we had great internet.  Currently in the middle of the Pacific on Seabourn Pursuit, and the same.  Will the youngsters be able to stream and play live action.  Perhaps not yet.😄 

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups from highplanesdrifters and R&T.  Very good and helpful.  Not sure I can explain and understand a "triple top".  We are all watching these various economic factors and trying to figure it out.  When and how?   Gold and bling?  Melting it down?  Lots of options? 

From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the three major cruise line trading during the past five trading days.  Looking positive and going up?  How long to continue positive given that September is normally a "down" month?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados on the Silver Cloud for 26 days. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 76,801 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

Here are the WSJ charts for the past five trading days involving the three major cruise lines.  Generally an upward, consistently-positive week?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.png.2c51a11ca647432f24459fdb2c06d956.png

image.thumb.png.5693ece10d42e9db56102e55cf241f20.png

image.thumb.png.ef4521be4f1f7fd3fac50d87b08cd5df.png

For Royal Caribbean, here has been their up, down and back up trends during the past month of trading.:

image.thumb.png.ea0a73fc3bf9b458006a6a9c3505ffd9.png

For perspective and comparison, here is how the broader S&P 500 Index performed during the past week and the most recent one-month period.  Close to how RCL has moved during these periods?:

image.thumb.png.ad17f60b2f16bfdc0ede01dcede5d488.png

image.thumb.png.285df45d39b670fc213c959de6a3ac1d.png

16 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I have to say that Starlink is a game changer.  In March On Silversea Antarctica/cape to Cape we had great internet.  Currently in the middle of the Pacific on Seabourn Pursuit, and the same.  Will the youngsters be able to stream and play live action.  Perhaps not yet.😄 

While everything else has been excellent, the complaint we have on the current Seabourn trip is the included wines.  They are grocery store plonk, been hearing that a lot lately.  Even asking what else they are pouring hasnt helped.  Will be having a chat with the Sommiler.   Not "ultra luxury" or "fine wines".  Last Silversea trip had a great included list and also great revenue list.

Screenshot_20240913_171915_Gmail.thumb.jpg.3318b08d55c186ec107e4a9540929b5b.jpg

Screenshot_20240913_172058_Gmail.thumb.jpg.41a0a4dfda88d7fec72d564446555161.jpg

I've been looking for this for years.  Is it finally happening?

I agree on SS wines.  The included wines weren't more expensive than Regents but were much more creative and diverse.  The revenue list was also excellent and reasonable.

Also agree on the internet on SS, very good.  TV was a problem.

"Ultra Luxury"?  I don't think so.

• Haha 2

On 9/14/2024 at 10:15 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

I agree on SS wines.  The included wines weren't more expensive than Regents but were much more creative and diverse.  The revenue list was also excellent and reasonable.   Also agree on the internet on SS, very good.  TV was a problem.  "Ultra Luxury"?  I don't think so.

Very good questions, comments and follow-up from R&T as to what is "Ultra Luxury" or maybe even for "Luxury"??  Not easy to rate, compare, measure, especially as so many new ships have been added, must be staffed, costs are under pressure, etc.  For us, it will be about itineraries and timings, plus what are the value/pricing factors.  Lots of variables and personal choices.  

This thread is now over 150,000 views.  Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, asked good questions, added helpful info.  Keep it coming!!  Still lots of uncertainty out there for cruise lines and their long-term finances, stability, debt loads, etc.     

From the below-connected financial news website yesterday, they had this headline: Royal Caribbean: Tailwind From Cruise Demand While Sailing Into Recession Uncertainty with these highlights: “Royal Caribbean Cruises had strong Q2 on top and bottom lines, with company and analysts forecasting positive EPS growth for 2024.  Company has lots of debt, however interest expense has declined and debt-to-equity better than key peers.  Macro factors of travel demand will be a tailwind, though there is mixed sentiment over Fed interest rate decisions and recession potential.  This sector is known to be prone to recessions and pandemics, but also fluctuations in consumer discretionary spending.”

A wide number of financial aspects are covered with this in-depth Royal Caribbean report.  This includes: "When it comes to debt-to-equity ratio, the good news for RCL is that it has the lowest ratio compared to its 2 peers, Norwegian and Carnival.  Although the debt-to-equity is better than peers, with $19.4B of long-term debt on its balance sheet as of June 2024, my question as an analyst would be what the company's strategy is to reduce it."

Full story at:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4721174-royal-caribbean-tailwind-from-cruise-demand-while-sailing-into-recession-uncertainty

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 71,000+ views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Contrary to the overall market, Royal Caribbean is up, UP significantly this morning. See the below Wall Street Journal chart this am, nearing its 52-week high and well over double its lowest value during the past year.  Good news?

image.thumb.png.7bf4c2129be6e48dd18dfec4a0698bfb.png

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, there are two important articles of potential major interest.  First, they had this headline: Investors Bet on Bigger Fed Cut" with this sub-headline:  "Investors are looking ahead to the Federal Reserve's interest-rate decision on Wednesday and these reporting highlights: “Traders are ramping up wagers that the Federal Reserve will kick off its easing campaign with a big cut.  On Monday, derivatives markets showed investors saw a roughly three-in-five chance of a half-point cut on Wednesday. That’s up from 50-50 odds on Friday, according to CME Group data—and just 14% earlier last week.”

Second, they had this major headline: Consumers Have a Debt Problem: Not Enough of the Right Kind" with this sub-headline:  "Borrowers are leaning on credit cards as other sources of credit have dried up with these highlights:Too much debt can certainly be a problem for consumers. So can too little.  The Federal Reserve’s next interest-rate decision could be a fateful one for many consumers and in turn for debates about the health of the American spender. Consumers have increasingly been turning to one of the more expensive forms of borrowing—credit cards—in part because other kinds of credit and sources of cash have been harder to come by.

Full stories at:

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/stock-market-today-dow-sp500-nasdaq-live-09-16-2024?mod=hp_lead_pos1

https://www.wsj.com/personal-finance/consumers-have-a-debt-problem-not-enough-of-the-right-kind-23624e66?mod=hp_lead_pos2

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 57,398 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

On 9/14/2024 at 11:52 PM, RetiredandTravel said:

It would take a braver person than me to call a triple top.  The market seems to have these sharp declines followed by sharp increases.  Not only are we close to the high on the S&P 500 but it looks to me like a triangle (pennant) formation forming in the QQQ and NVDA.  The next move could be signficant going into/after the Fed.  Still a dicey time of year historically.

The two year note yield does look like a double top and IMO with the 2yr @ 3.60 and 1mo bill @ 5 the Fed looks like they are quite a ways behind the curve (get it😃).  Everyone talks about the Fed but quite often they follow they just follow the market.  Ten year note has been below 5% since 2002 and as I have said in the past I think technological advancements will continue to keep rates low.  The elephant in the room is again supply.

I dont know much about Gold except that I have suggested, to no avail, to Mrs R&T that melting down some of the bling could be a revenue stream for the team.   NYC Fifth Avenue jewelry stores do seem to charge quite a bit more than price per oz for their artistic contribution so maybe its not such a great idea.

Enjoy!!

What a excellent recap. Thanks.

Melting down the little ladies stash.....whooweee....Danger Will Rogers!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I'd say I've  slipped into island brain, but we all know those issues were already there.

More like aging brain for me.  I seem to spend a lot of time at closet doors wondering why I am there these days. 🫤

S&P 500 triple top fans 😨

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQc_kWzbo9Y

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Appreciate these continued great follow-ups from R&T and highplanesdrifters.  Nice video links.  Attempting to learn (maybe) a little more about the S&P 500 Triple Top, I tried to dig a little deeper.  Am I assuming correctly that we are all trying to figure out at what point the market "adjusts to reality" and has some type of a re-set?  Correct?  My view is that such an adjustment is getting closer and closer, but that we still do not know when and how deep.  Right or wrong?  

From this financial news website connected below yesterday afternoon, they had this headline: Royal Caribbean Tops Buy Point As Cruise Stock Tries To Extend Voyage with these highlights: “Royal Caribbean Group made a clear move above a cup-with-handle buy point Monday morning. The cruise line stock, today's IBD 50 Growth Stocks to Watch pick, is on pace for its fourth straight gain and reached a new high as demand remains strong.  On Monday, the cruise line operator announced a $1 billion private offering of senior notes, with the proceeds to be used to pay down various debts.  Also Monday, JPMorgan raised its price target to 213 from 210 and maintained its overweight rating on Royal Caribbean stock.  The company, along with rivals Carnival and Norwegian, is investing in shorter excursions of three- to four-day trips, attempting to appeal to young cruisers. At Royal Caribbean, one in two passengers is a millennial or younger, said Royal Caribbean Chief Financial Officer Naftali Holtz.

Full story at:

https://www.investors.com/research/royal-caribbean-rcl-stock-ibd-50/?src=A00619&refcode=aflMarketWatch&_gl=1*1aahq9z*_gcl_au*MjA4NzM4Nzc0My4xNzI2NTEwNjMy*_ga*NDUxNjczNzI1LjE3MjU4ODkzOTU.*_ga_K2H7B9JRSS*MTcyNjU3OTgwMS43LjEuMTcyNjU4MDYxOC42MC4wLjA.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 36,068 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Like 2

While this is at a little distance from cruise ship finances, it does point out one of the key advantages for smaller ship cruising such as with Silversea.

From the experienced travel guru writer Gene Sloan, his story yesterday has this interesting headline: Why it’s easier to meet new people on smaller cruise ships with these highlights: "Looking to make some new friends on your next cruise? Here's a bit of advice that may seem counterintuitive: Pick a smaller ship.  Back when I was first writing about cruising, more than 25 years ago, the grizzled veterans of the cruise-writing world would tell me this, and I thought they had to be wrong. After all, there are a lot more people to meet on bigger ships than on smaller ships.  But it turns out they were right.

Among the factors this former USA Today writer shared are: "You see the same people more often on small ships."  "Meals on small ships often are communal. (especially on river cruise and expedition vessels)"  "Small ships draw more solo travelers."  

Here is his bottom-line summary: "Not that you should worry too much about making friends at sea. Cruisers in general are very social people. In fact, many people cruise specifically to meet other people."

As the cruise lines compete against land-based travel, hotels, resorts, etc., is this another important "value" factor to consider for cruising?

Full story at:

https://thepointsguy.com/cruise/small-cruise-ship-solo-meet-people/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 33,754 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

More like aging brain for me.  I seem to spend a lot of time at closet doors wondering why I am there these days. 🫤

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQc_kWzbo9Y

Good one!  That could also work for the Diamond Hands Meme stock crowd.

We wake up just in time for closing bell.  I was cracking up thinking I'm getting better financial info from Cruise Crittic.  Jeffery Gindlach calling for 50bps and another 50bps next Fed.  What's he smoking, or is he just talking his book. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Good one!  That could also work for the Diamond Hands Meme stock crowd.

We wake up just in time for closing bell.  I was cracking up thinking I'm getting better financial info from Cruise Crittic.  Jeffery Gindlach calling for 50bps and another 50bps next Fed.  What's he smoking, or is he just talking his book. 

I used to compete against Jeff on a few accounts back in the day.  IMO 50 bps is the right move economically but there is a lot of politics and messaging built in so who knows.  The bond market has already eased.  S&P 500 put in a new high today by a point or two, didn't last long.  DJII also put in new high.

43 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

This can be good.....and bad.😃

Very bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePzSElfCeEs

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I used to compete against Jeff on a few accounts back in the day.  IMO 50 bps is the right move economically but there is a lot of politics and messaging built in so who knows.  The bond market has already eased.  S&P 500 put in a new high today by a point or two, didn't last long.  DJII also put in new high.

Very bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePzSElfCeEs

I'm dying!  He's on this ship. 

We know what the right move is. We knew it when inflation was transitory. 🤣

Gundlach is still hawking his wares on TV.  You're floating around the world having adventures.  I bet I know who is happier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We wake up just in time for closing bell.  I was cracking up thinking I'm getting better financial info from Cruise Critic.  Jeffery Gindlach calling for 50bps and another 50bps next Fed.  What's he smoking, or is he just talking his book. 

Great follow-ups and comments from R&T and highplanesdrifters.  Love the reference that there is "better financial info" from here at Cruise Critic.  But, here at this site, we charge zero commission on your trades compared to the high-priced Wall Street firms.  Are we worth it?

YES, big questions and unknowns as to the exact size of the interest rate cuts coming tomorrow morning.  We will find out soon.  

From the NBC-TV News this afternoon, they had this headline: A Fed rate cut is coming. How big is anyone's guess" and this sub-headline:  "A reduction to the central bank’s federal funds rate serves as a benchmark for other borrowing costs throughout the economy.

Here are some of their reporting highlights:The Federal Reserve is poised to cut its key interest rate Wednesday, the first time since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic that it has pushed it lower.  A reduction to the central bank’s federal funds rate serves as a benchmark for other borrowing costs throughout the economy. Investors have been unable to predict how large the cut will be.  On Tuesday, a survey by CNBC correspondent Steve Liesman showed a majority of respondents forecasting a 0.25% cut from the current 5.3% level, even as Wall Street traders said it was more likely that the central bank would issue a 0.5% cut.

Differences of opinions between stock traders versus other economic experts?  That is the debate and battle!!  

From this NBC reporting, here was their added analysis: "The Fed tends to move in 0.25% increments — and until recently, there was general agreement that it was likely to lower the rate by that amount. But a series of data points showing worsening economic conditions has made some analysts believe a 0.5% cut is more likely — and perhaps even necessary.  Economists at the Minneapolis Federal Reserve argued the U.S. labor market may be even worse off than it appears, noting that by one measure, every open position now has 1.5 job applicants — well below the pre-pandemic average."

Full story at:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/rcna171512

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 23,090 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I'm dying!  He's on this ship. 

We know what the right move is. We knew it when inflation was transitory. 🤣

Gundlach is still hawking his wares on TV.  You're floating around the world having adventures.  I bet I know who is happier.

He worked for TCW in those days.   Life is great for me I hope the same for him.

Hey Terry.

Interesting NYT article.  Notice Mortgages are based off the ten year note and car loans the 5 year note.  These rates have already moved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/17/business/fed-rates-mortgages-car-loans.html#:~:text=Car loans tend to track,term and the down payment.

Triple top is just a term for a chart formation, sometimes these things work and sometimes they don't.  

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tripletop.asp#:~:text=A triple top is formed,when the triple top completes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Are we worth it?

You BETCHA!

You do such an amazing job of keeping us all up to date on something that has a big impact on our lives......cruising.  It truly helps in travel decision making. Thank you!

And you don't front run our orders like Interactive Brokers. 🤣

• Like 2

It's a "Double-Down" rate cut.  Good or bad?  From the Wall Street Journal minutes ago this afternoon, they had this headline: Fed Cuts Rates by Half Percentage Point" with this sub-headline:  "Officials are hoping to prevent a gradual cooling in the labor market from turning into a deeper freeze.

Here are their reporting highlights:The Federal Reserve voted to lower interest rates by a half percentage point, opting for a bolder start in making its first reduction since 2020. The long-anticipated pivot followed an all-out fight against inflation the central bank launched two years ago.  Eleven of 12 Fed voters backed the cut, which will bring the benchmark federal-funds rate to a range between 4.75% and 5%.

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/economy/central-banking/fed-cuts-rates-by-half-percentage-point-03566d82

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 23,029 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

15 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

50 bps it is. Crikey I am completely out of touch.   It's the right move, I'm just shocked they did it. 

Yes, it might have been the "right move" by the Fed, but what is next?  When, how soon and by how much?

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Big Rate Cut Forces Fed to Contend With New Obstacles" with this sub-headline:  "How big will the next cut be? And what is the right interest rate anyway? One thing is clear: Fed Chair Jerome Powell really wants to stick the landing. 

Here are some of their reporting highlights:Fed Chair Jerome Powell entered a new phase in his campaign to softly land the U.S. economy, lowering interest rates Wednesday with an audacious half-point cut. The move raised new questions the central bank can’t easily answer.  At the same time, the rate cut did clarify the answer to a more important question about the Fed’s overarching goal. It underscored Powell’s desire to prevent the central bank’s past rate rises from tipping the economy into recession now that inflation is heading down.

Here was the key WSJ headline and chart connected with this report:

image.thumb.png.f108ca46d61ec7739925f003f45f1b75.png 

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/economy/central-banking/big-rate-cut-forces-fed-to-contend-with-new-obstacles-0bc63c6a

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

• Like 1

Appreciate the kind follow-up by the active and agile R&T.  From the Washington Post this morning, they had this headline: What the Fed’s rate cut means for consumers, businesses and investors" with this sub-headline:  "The Fed’s first cut in four years will affect hiring, inflation, the housing market, stocks and borrowing costs. 

Here are some of analysis highlights: “Lower rates are expected to bring some relief to housing markets. But the impacts won’t be evident right away, said Steve Rick, chief economist at TruStage.  Historically high interest rates have benefited people with money saved in certain bank accounts and investment vehicles.  In the broadest terms, lower borrowing costs will benefit millennials who are at a time in their financial lives when they are looking to buy homes, while lower interest on savings will hurt retirees who are more focused on maximizing the value of their accounts.”

As detailed, there are a mix of varied impacts, but it will take time to move through the economic system.  Some winners.  Some losers.  Reactions and predictions??  Unclear as to what this means for consumer spending.  

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/09/18/fed-interest-rate-cut-mortgage-car-loans/

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

For what it is worth and means, the "STOCKS ARE JUMPING" this morning.  From the Wall Street Journal, below are the current movements today with both the S&P 500 and Royal Caribbean.  Same upward trend true for the other two cruise stocks.  

image.thumb.png.6b5ac837f6c54e0f41d2c3838cceee57.png

image.thumb.png.54154ec5b5ffab69b256bf9743254901.png

How long will this last?  Is it a "sugar high" or something more long-term?

Interestingly, RCL is right near a 52-week high.  Good sign?  Buy now?  Sell?  

India to Singapore 2024:  Live/Blog over 22,200+ views with many visuals, including for “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Here are some of analysis highlights: “Lower rates are expected to bring some relief to housing markets. But the impacts won’t be evident right away, said Steve Rick, chief economist at TruStage.  Historically high interest rates have benefited people with money saved in certain bank accounts and investment vehicles.  In the broadest terms, lower borrowing costs will benefit millennials who are at a time in their financial lives when they are looking to buy homes, while lower interest on savings will hurt retirees who are more focused on maximizing the value of their accounts.”

IMO the biggest risk to retirees is inflation.  We'd all like to have 10% money market rates and zero inflation but it doesn't work like that.

https://www.wsj.com/personal-finance/retirement/inflation-retirement-savings-withdrawals-b73caa41

Retirees article

https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/2024-economic-well-being-of-us-households-in-2023-retirement-investments.htm

They took a run at 5665-70 earlier this week and failed, another lame attempt to test it this AM early.  It will be interesting to see where it closes.

On 9/19/2024 at 7:36 AM, TLCOhio said:

Yes, it might have been the "right move" by the Fed, but what is next?  When, how soon and by how much?

Clearly I'm  the wrong person to ask.  I'd use a dartboard.😅

20 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

They took a run at 5665-70 earlier this week and failed, another lame attempt to test it this AM early.  It will be interesting to see where it closes.

Blast off!

Good articles!  This is an older one. There are updates on Covid money. $100B ready to slosh around.  Does this keep inflation up?

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-treasury-ease-rules-covid-aid-boost-affordable-housing-supply-2024-03-05/

• Like 1

On 9/19/2024 at 11:59 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

IMO the biggest risk to retirees is inflation.  We'd all like to have 10% money market rates and zero inflation but it doesn't work like that.

Super great comment and follow-up from R&T.  Yes, sadly, those of us "seasoned citizens" can be double-challenged.  Inflation plus low returns from our available funds can be and is very bad.  Even worse?  No money and high inflation!! 

From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the three major cruise lines during the past five trading days.  Plus, more!!  Was this a "ROCKY" week?  Lots of ups and downs?  What is coming for next week and the rest of this year?   

From the Wall Street Journal late last night, they had this headline: U.K. Consumers Turn Notably Gloomier, Survey Says" with this sub-headline:  "Inflation has trended close to its 2% target in recent months, but is set to turn higher toward the end of the year.

Here are some of the highlights from that UK consumer opinion research:Consumers in the U.K. have become significantly more pessimistic this month, pointing to weaker personal finances and economic activity, with borrowing costs set to stay high after the Bank of England chose to hold interest rates.  Research group GfK’s measure of consumer confidence tumbled to minus 20 in September, well down on the minus 13 of July and August. Key future indicators on personal finances, the economy and purchase intentions all turned sharply lower, GfK said Friday.

For Silversea, from my experiences, including on our recent Mumbai to Singapore sailing on the Silver Moon, is that the UK provides a large number of customers for Silversea.  Right?  Here is more from this report:  "The weaker sentiment might prove a headache for the recently elected Labour government, which has put growth at the top of its political agenda.  The government’s policy relies on strong consumer confidence as it underpins economic growth and is a significant driver of shoppers’ willingness to spend."

Reactions to this reporting from those living in the UK?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/economy/u-k-consumers-turn-notably-gloomier-survey-says-d72e4e18?mod=economy_lead_pos2

Love the Caribbean? Here are popular posts/links with Dominica having over 30,700 views. Much information for . . . .

Barbadoshttps://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2179164-barbados-50th-birthday-our-pixs-experiences-feb2015/page/3/#comment-65530134Or, Dominicahttps://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2169714-dominica-love-our-experience-pictures-etc/page/3/#comment-66637276

Per these WSJ charts for the past week's trading, things move up in a steady manner for Carnival and Norwegian.  By contrast, Royal Caribbean was more like a Yo-Yo, up-and-down, in a rough pattern.  Why the difference in movements?  Good news?  All three are getting very close to their 52-week highs!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.png.4746cd9b70a0496015bb549fc7502cd5.png

image.thumb.png.0ee8deb638608391301da4507d1df0b1.png

image.thumb.png.bb5df12e18393ff2a9562a0e6d7b92c9.png

Here is the WSJ chart for the broader, overall S&P 500 Index. Jumpy, but moving up, UP this past week??  Second is a look at the S&P 500 for the past 52 week. :

image.thumb.png.6757bc2240d1fc5201185866260654d5.png

image.thumb.png.f9e37d47285c3ebe94a5e55c8513c927.png

Finally, here is a look at Royal Caribbean for the most recent 52 weeks of Wall Street trading.  Don't you wish you invested lots of cash a year ago?  You'd be rich enough to afford a luxury cruise!:

image.thumb.png.009fb0d6409f2c754a5b4037a9af0110.png