Veterans Get Together at the Pub

Both - We were lucky to be onboard the Grandeur for the anniversary of D-Day. It was a great ceremony!

Him - My wife’s father landed on Omaha Beach that day, she is very sentimental and the ceremony had her in proud tears (she.was both thinking of him landing that day and also for the missing of him). He also fought in the Battle of the Bulge.  He never talked about the war, only bits and pieces here and there about the lighter moments that occurred (like his first “cruise” that took him to England for the invasion on the Queen Mary I believe it was where they all ate so much chocolate that they became such; they were trying to fill their stomachs as they had apparently heard horror stories about the food that was waiting for them in England!).

5297C980-5D7E-4707-A754-1A5CA10BBA0D.jpeg

27A526D8-0E4F-4A88-8705-D01BDB2A2984.jpeg

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 3

Thank you all for your service.  And to represent those of us who pray for you in your absence:

ARMY daughter 1967- ____, US ARMY, Viet Nam, Retired Colonel 1992.  Thanks dad!

ARMY wife 2000- _____, US Military Academy, Gulf War 1992-93, service until 1997.  Thanks husband!  Beat Navy!

Couldn't help feeling the pride when reading this thread!  

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daytonasailor said:

Hummm, seems to be a lot of swabbies out there. No paratroopers? US Army, 82d Airborne, 1965-1990 and a year stint with the 101st Airborne in Viet Nam.

Welcome home to all of our Vietnam and fellow Vietnam Era vets.  For my shipmates and all patriots from all branches, here is a great 5 minute tribute.

22 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Welcome home to all of our Vietnam and fellow Vietnam Era vets.  For my shipmates and all patriots from all branches, here is a great 5 minute tribute.

Thanks for sharing that. One of the reasons he's an honorary Chief Petty Officer.

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Thanks for sharing that. One of the reasons he's an honorary Chief Petty Officer.

Also a Lone Sailor Award Recipient.  Believe he was in the Navy during WW2 as a Gunner Mate 1st Class.  Quit a man, as they all were.

22 minutes ago, WI-Cruiser said:

Also a Lone Sailor Award Recipient.  Believe he was in the Navy during WW2 as a Gunner Mate 1st Class.  Quit a man, as they all were.

Don't forget, he also skippered a PT boat.😀

16 minutes ago, Kbonner said:

oh, forgot to mention I was the main speaker in the theater on Adventure 2014 at Remembrance Day

We were supposed to be in Germany last week, coming home today. Fortunately the airline allowed us to switch to October for no fee (we would have arrived the day before Oktoberfest ended, but that's been cancelled now). We try to go every year to visit DW's family.

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We were supposed to be in Germany last week, coming home today. Fortunately the airline allowed us to switch to October for no fee (we would have arrived the day before Oktoberfest ended, but that's been cancelled now). We try to go every year to visit DW's family.

Well - my military service brought me for 11 years to the USA. We were supposed to be in the USA right now, visiting our 2 daughters who stayed in the USA and who are married with US servicemen. Sadly we cannot visit them and the 2020 grandchildren coming soon..... Side-effect of military lifes....

55 minutes ago, Kbonner said:

Well - my military service brought me for 11 years to the USA. We were supposed to be in the USA right now, visiting our 2 daughters who stayed in the USA and who are married with US servicemen. Sadly we cannot visit them and the 2020 grandchildren coming soon..... Side-effect of military lifes....

Sorry. It's tough, haven't seen 3 my Grand Daughters in 8 months...

2 hours ago, Kbonner said:

That is unfortunate. I hope that this gets under control quickly so you will be able to see them soon. (We have two grandchildren who live in our village and we've gone from seeing them almost every day to nothing. I am sure that the oldest one is wondering what happened to us.)

10 hours ago, TiiiSailor said:

Navy dependent until I joined the Navy in 68 as a CTM.  1975 went to the dark side, as a few friends called it, as a submarine officer.  Served on the Lapon 76 -80, LY Spear 80 - 83, Sculpin 85 - 89, Gato 89 - 91.

Do you have a Rickover story?

10 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Do you have a Rickover story?

I went for my interview with Admiral Rickover with 6 other prior enlisted sailors.  We'd done our research and asked a lot of questions before we selected the nuclear path.  Found out the Admiral asked questions, made wise crack comments, and according to some people threatening statements.  He wanted to see how you reacted under pressure, because if you couldn't keep your cool in an office setting and answer his questions there was a good chance you wouldn't be able to do so in a stressful situation onboard.   He also wanted you to answer the question he asked.  A standard question a married man got was, "How many children do you have?"  If you said "A girl and two boys."  He yell, "If I wanted to know what sex they were I'd have asked that."  I got that one correct, "Three."

There were also those that had done poorly in the technical interviews you had before you ever saw him.  The first question I was asked in my last technical interview was how the other two interviews had gone.  I said I'd totally blown one question and was given a chance to redeem myself.

Nothing unusual during my interview with the Admiral.  He did try to tell me I was just looking for another year of shore duty.  HAHA  What a year of shore duty.  Anyway, when he finally said that's all, as we'd been briefed, I just got up out of the chair, left the office, and stood at attention outside the door until told to go to room to await the decision. I'd left my lunch outside the office to the left side of the door as instructed before I went in to see the admiral.  When I was told to go I bent over to pickup my lunch and got about half way down and couldn't bend over any further, no matter how hard I tried.  A captain next to me asked me if I was okay.  I told him I was trying to get my lunch.  The captain and a commander started laughing, let me pick up my lunch, and said they thought I had blacked out.  Also told me the purpose of having us stand at attention for a short time was due to every now and then someone would leave the interview room and just kept on going to places unknown.  

• Like 2