Heart Conditions Banned from Cruising

kruisey

My mom, whom I travel with on cruises, has type 1 diabetes.  I emailed our cruise person (the elite rep assigned to us) and asked her about the new "rules" and how it pertains to our cruise next year.  This was her response:

"Princess has not come out with any information in regards to limiting passengers.

You can go to the link below which was updated last on April 14, 2020.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/Health-Advisory-and-Travel-Safety-Procedures.pdf

If anything changes Princess will update their website and send emails to our guest."

If the limit of people with "chronic illnesses" actually goes into effect, Princess will miss out on A LOT of business.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kruisey said:

Will  no longer be allowed to board due to Atrial Fibrillation of my heart...Would be denied boarding permanently.

Princess refunding my future cruise credits.

OP; can you explain a little further please; did you develop this condition recently and it hasn't been treated yet?, Has you physician recommended you not travel? Did Princess make the decision that you were not physically fit to travel?

Thanks

Edited by whitecap

This was The Princess Representative ,I called Princess direct.

She said 'You would be denied boarding'  her exact words.

She personally filled out and sent off form  for  cruise credit  refund.

I am on heart Meditation twice a day twice which controls it.

1 minute ago, whitecap said:

OP; can you explain a little further please; did you develop this condition recently and it hasn't been treated yet?, Has you physical recommended you not travel? Did Princess make the decision that you were not physically fit to travel?

Thanks

I developed the condition this year in January 2020.It was Princess's Representatives decision I have not mentioned this to my doctor.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kruisey said:

I would highly suggest that you or your TA contact Princess immediately and speak with someone with more authority.  If every person with a heart ailment were denied boarding they would be out of a lot of passengers.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, kruisey said:

I don't doubt this was exactly what happened to you.  However, I do wonder if this represents Princess's actual policy or just this representative's understanding.  Primarily because Princess has published no such policy and INeedAMaiTai's email response from Princess that said "Princess has not come out with any information in regards to limiting passengers."

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, whitecap said:

I would highly suggest that you or your TA contact Princess immediately and speak with someone with more authority.  If every person with a heart ailment were denied boarding they would be out of a lot of passengers.

It comes under their '   Other Underlying chronic conditions.' Would be denied boarding.

It comes under their '   Other Underlying chronic conditions.' Would be denied boarding.

The thing is, I believe that has been removed although there has been some mixed experiences when accessing the document online.  Here is a screenshot:

AF9F7289-9BFE-43BA-94F1-C18D2779C0D8.png

Does anyone know where this is written?  Wouldn't diabetes fall under this; how about high blood pressure, high cholesterol?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Potstech said:

I would not let a non medical Princess representative make that kind of decision concerning a health condition. What kind of training or further info do they have? None.

As I said before, call Princess and ask for a supervisor and once they straighten this out, ask for OBC for having been put thru this.

Hmmm.  About 10% of the population have diabetes so they can't cruise.  50% have hypertension so they cannot cruise.  About 35% have obesity and that number increases if one just considers overweight.  They cannot cruise.  Nearly half of all Americans suffer from cardiovascular disease.  They cannot cruise.  About 15% of cruisers are over 70!  They likely cannot cruise.  Perhaps some can see the problem.  Cruise lines had best wake up and figure out how to lure their customers back to cruising, possibly being confined to their cabin for days or weeks, possibly not being able to go ashore (anywhere) because a single person on a ship is sick, etc.

Folks, take a deep breath.  The cruise lines and CLIA are in full panic mode.  Desperate people and corporations do and say desperate things.  At some point they will have to find a way to fill their ships and that will not likely involve trying to drive away most of their customers!  Personally, as an avid cruiser for over 40 years (more then 3 years on many ships) DW and I are no longer sure we want to go on another ship!   The COVID-19 problem will eventually become much less of a problem.  But the new hassles, cut-backs, and changes being proposed by the cruise lines will be a major detriment.  

I just looked at a thread on a blog that is popular with travelers who like to travel to a popular resort city in Mexico.  Somebody asked if anyone planned on going on a cruise in the future.   Not a single person responded in a positive way!   A popular response referred to being trapped on a ship!   Another person, who is a long time cruise fan, said she would likely not go on a cruise ship until there is a COVID-19 vaccine!  We are all here on CC where just about everyone is a big time cruise fan and yet many are now talking about avoiding cruise ships.  If the cruise lines lose their biggest fans it is hard to imagine how they will attract others.

The cruise lines have a very big problem and trying to alienate their customers is not going to help.

Hank

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kruisey said:

Will  no longer be allowed to board due to Atrial Fibrillation of my heart...Would be denied boarding permanently.

kruisey:

thanks for letting us know how this is being handled in your case. We have been wondering if Princess would refund FCC to cash ( credit card) 

if denied boarding. 
All the best to you in the future. Take care. Dog

10 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

To the OP,  have you considered a cardiac ablasion?  I had that done and it stopped all the arythmias and rapid heart beat.

My brother-in-law had an ablation for his atrial fibrillation.  He died a week later.

So..................anyone ever have cancer and subsequent chemo, that seems like it would be a non qualifier since it causes immuno compromise. 

IF someone declares truthfully they have an underlying condition and get a refund would they be banned from ever cruising again on a Carnival owned ship?

Edited by cruzsnooze

3 hours ago, kruisey said:

A lot of people don't even know they have a heart condition and it can be very hard to detect it. Sometimes it can need as much as internal scan with a camera done under sedation.

Edited by ace2542