Lockdown extension

WorldTraveler151208

So far, Msc has canceled cruises until May 29, but other cruise lines are already extending the suspension period. How long do you think it will last?  I also heard somewhere that the US closed entire cruise traffic, does anyone know until when? I have a booking for a cruise in the Caribbean in the first half of June, should I forget about it already?

Unless the cruise lines can develop a plan meet the new COVID-19 mitigation requirements there is a no sail order until mid July.  Most lines were examining the possibility to sail earlier under these rules but it is unlikely they will be able to comply.  Further bad news is that yesterday a vast majority of all lines began moving their US based East coast fleets offshore to begin crew transfers in order to start moving crew back to their home countries.  Perhaps they will keep enough crew to try being able to get one ship sailing, but I wouldn't expect them to be able to get back in operation until late Fall or Winter at the earliest.

1 hour ago, Até said:

Unless the cruise lines can develop a plan meet the new COVID-19 mitigation requirements there is a no sail order until mid July.  Most lines were examining the possibility to sail earlier under these rules but it is unlikely they will be able to comply.  Further bad news is that yesterday a vast majority of all lines began moving their US based East coast fleets offshore to begin crew transfers in order to start moving crew back to their home countries.  Perhaps they will keep enough crew to try being able to get one ship sailing, but I wouldn't expect them to be able to get back in operation until late Fall or Winter at the earliest.

TY for this

We have a booking for the Med (very port intensive) and I am dubious -- Some think tourism will be slow and restricted. 

My post was specifically related to what I assumed was a US based sailing to the Caribbean.  I'm really not up to date regarding the various restrictions placed on cruise ship's visits to European countries.  There have been threads posted here with articles speculating Spain and Italy not fully opening to tourism until 2021.

MSC is allowing FCC for sailings until the end of September. I would take that as no US sailings until then or longer. A few weeks ago the CDC closed US sailings for at least 100 days. I cancelled my November cruise and was told to expect a 60 wait for my deposit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

I have a booking for a cruise in the Caribbean in the first half of June, should I forget about it already?

Expect an announcement on Monday extending their no-sail dates. Don't know exactly till when but I believe sometime in July.

Bret

12 hours ago, TomC21 said:

MSC is allowing FCC for sailings until the end of September. I would take that as no US sailings until then or longer. A few weeks ago the CDC closed US sailings for at least 100 days. I cancelled my November cruise and was told to expect a 60 wait for my deposit.

UK customers have until the end of January 2021 to use their FCC once they are released.

I misstated my response. MSC is allowing those who have booked up to September 30 to choose a FCC to be used by December 2021. Those still within the cancellation window can cancel for full refund but will take 60 days for it to credit back.

Edited by TomC21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomC21 said:

Those still within the cancellation window can cancel for full refund but will take 60 days for it to credit back.

Just for clarity, receiving a cash refund only applies to USA citizens. It appears as though MSC is going to be allowing only FCC in other areas (no choice of a cash refund).