FOS southern carib. excursions

My family and I are doing the southern Caribbean next March going to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados.

We are hoping to do the following while in port: deep sea fishing, snorkeling, beach-bar day, and basic shopping (no diamonds).

Anyone have suggestions of good tours or which excursion to do at which island?

TIA!

2 hours ago, alexxandraa397 said:

My family and I are doing the southern Caribbean next March going to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados.

We are hoping to do the following while in port: deep sea fishing, snorkeling, beach-bar day, and basic shopping (no diamonds).

Anyone have suggestions of good tours or which excursion to do at which island?

TIA!

Not necessarily tours b/c you can do these on your own.  We haven’t down any deep sea fishing either. 

St. Thomas:  Smith Bay (aka Lindquist) beach or over on St. John: Cinnamon Bay beach (Trunk Bay is overrated IMO) via ferry though RCI or taxi to Red Hook ferry.  White sand beach and white sand on the sea floor, simply gorgeous.  For the adventurers, I recommend Water Island across from Cruz  Bay (10 minute boat ride).  There’s an abandoned military fort (Ft. Sagarra) and also a nice beach called Honeymoon beach nearby with two food vendors for afterwards.  

Barbados: 20 minute walk to Boatyard beach.  It’s happening at that place. 

St. Kitts:  We’ve been there a few times.  It’s not a place where you can walk to a nice beach next to the port.  The sand is dark in color due to the island being from a dormant volcano.  Cockleshell beach comes to mind as decent.   We rented a car from the local Avis and drove there, today and other places too.  We’ll try a Marriott Resort day pass at Frigate Bay next time we make it there.  

St. Lucia:  We haven’t made it there yet, but will be going there soon.  We plan on hiking one of the pitons.   

Antigua:  Jolly beach is nice.  There are 365 beaches in Antigua.  

Hope this helps.  Don’t forget to report back how it goes.  Good luck. 

Edited by atgood

St Kitts: Depending on how physically active you are (or want to be), the Mt Liamuiga volcano hike is a unique option that we liked. 

We’ve also done an island tour there by negotiating with a taxi driver to take us to the main tourist spots, like the fort, the batik factory, the viewpoint where you can see the Caribbean and the Atlantic come together, and ended the day at the beach outside the Carambola Beach Club.

In St Lucia there’s a great tour company called Cosol’s that runs a very professional operation that takes you all over the island. It will take up your entire day, with little to no time for shopping at the end, but you’ll see a lot of the island. 

St Lucia also has a lot of native grown spices, so if you do have a chance to shop, buy spices there. You can get a ziploc bag of vanilla beans for $2, a ziploc bag of fresh whole nutmeg for $2, a ziploc bag of saffron for $4 or $5. It’s so cheap there. Most of the islands get their spices from St Lucia, so by the time they get to another island they’ve been commercially packaged and sell for much more money. 

Antigua: Valley Church Beach. Clear blue water, nice relaxing place, but they do have jet skis for rent.

Barbados: The Boatyard. It has the most crystal clear water, like a bathtub. It’s kind of a cliche beach bar, can be loud, can be crowded, but it’s fun and has the best, cleanest looking ocean I’ve ever seen.

St Thomas: Been here twice, would probably stay on the ship next time. Underwhelming beaches, not much else to see or do here.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

Antigua- would probably be your best bet for your “beach-bar day”. I will second Valley Church Beach. Beautiful and open, bar and food nearby. 
St. Lucia- we did a tour with zip lining and touring the island through Cosol Tours. It was awesome. If we go again I’d like to do the Pitons.

St. Thomas- We had a wonderful snorkeling excursion. Swam with sea turtles and many other beautiful sea life. Then they took us to a private beach for lunch and relaxing. It was through RCI, on one of the “pirate boats” 

665F233B-38EA-4E5B-9B24-D52A16939B9A.thumb.jpeg.a1f63edcf4ce1e32d822d0896e242b5d.jpegValley Church Beach45435976-8DF3-4A47-B0A1-A69986421731.thumb.jpeg.9a1c1141c8b024b933438276900e83c0.jpeg

Beach from St Thomas excursion. 

5B1153B0-D068-4EFE-8BD9-8192C57E36EE.thumb.jpeg.0fb8b1f3d4bda4436adf0539eee29561.jpeg