Cruise Critic Community
lakejoys

Okay to embark at 6pm for 8pm departure out of Seward

Hi Everyone,

We will be sailing the Celebrity Millennium out of Seward late July--yes, we are still planning on cruising--and want to do a Kenai Fjord excursion before embarkation but would not be able to do that until close to 6pm.  The Celebrity site only gives a 4-430pm as the latest time to be able to embark for an 8pm departure.  Can any of you shed some light on whether my timing will work or not?

TIA and keeping our fingers crossed we will still be able to go.

If Celebrity is suggesting 4 or 4:30, I suspect it is because the lifeboat drill will be before dinner, so, no, 6pm will not work.

4 hours ago, lakejoys said:

Hi Everyone,

We will be sailing the Celebrity Millennium out of Seward late July--yes, we are still planning on cruising--and want to do a Kenai Fjord excursion before embarkation but would not be able to do that until close to 6pm.  The Celebrity site only gives a 4-430pm as the latest time to be able to embark for an 8pm departure.  Can any of you shed some light on whether my timing will work or not?

I took that same cruise a few years ago.  CruiserBruce is correct.  They want everyone aboard to conduct the muster drill.  We boarded at about 4pm and the check-in was empty.  We were some of the last to board.  

I suggest adding a couple days pre-cruise in Seward so you can get most of your sightseeing done in the preceding days.  You can still use the cruise day to see some sights, like the Exit Glacier.  

As others stated the cutoff time isn't merely a suggestion.  If you show up late you will find that the check-in agents are gone and so is your cruise.  You will be entered as a no-show and lose 100% of your fare.

There used to be excursions from Seward that departed in the morning and returned early afternoon which would get you to the ship on time. The embarkation time is not a suggested time

We did 2 cruises on Millennium out of Seward, 2014 & 2017.  Both cruises had the latest check in time as 6:30 but I would be uncomfortable taking the excursion.

Thanks everyone for you input.  I have decided to cancel that excursion based on the consensus of the group and realizing it must be due to the muster drill pre-dinner.  This isn't our first cruise but don't recall embarkation cut-off timing being 3.5hrs before departure hence my reason for asking.

Do go a day ahead.  The Kenai Fjords ride is magnificent.  When we did the day with Kenai winds came up in the afternoon.  We were an hour late back to town.  It then is a LONG walk or a 10 minute taxi ride to the pier .

16 hours ago, lakejoys said:

Thanks everyone for you input.  I have decided to cancel that excursion based on the consensus of the group and realizing it must be due to the muster drill pre-dinner.  This isn't our first cruise but don't recall embarkation cut-off timing being 3.5hrs before departure hence my reason for asking.

We ran into that on a Hawaii cruise. The first night was an overnight in Honolulu so the plan was to check in early and then spend the day sightseeing. Did not work out. They were very adamant that you HAD to be back onboard by 3 or 3:30 (can't remember which) that day for the muster drill. 

I know the OP has decided against the day-of excursion, but one other thing to consider/keep in mind is there is ONE road between Anchorage and Seward. If it is shut down because of a wreck, there will be massive delays. Happened to the cruise I was on (RCCL Radiance of the Seas) in 2013.

My group was on one of the first RCCL busses out of Anchorage and we were ahead of it. It was a massive wreck that involved airlifting people and I believe one fatality. Shut down the road for hours. They held whatever busses had not left yet in Anchorage until the road was opened again. The other part of our group took the train and were they delayed because the train stopped to get as many people from RCCL busses as they could get on the train, but they got there around dinner. The captain went ahead and held Muster for all of us who were on board. At that point the road was reopened so they had an ETA for leaving and already knew we would miss the Hubbard Glacier the next day to keep the rest of the stops on schedule. The final bus pulled in - and the gates to the lot were locked behind it - around 2:15am, all those who had missed Muster because of the road closure went to the theater to have it (the captain would have been within his rights to make all of us wait, but he was kind and divided it into 2 parts), and we left around 3:45am. Those on RCCL busses or who were lucky enough to be ahead of them got on board. Anyone who used their own transportation and was after that final bus was out of luck for embarking in Seward - I was on the shuttle from Icy Strait Point with a couple who was in a private car just in front of the final bus and therefore just made it. They said their driver pushed before the final turn offs to get ahead of the bus because he knew if they were behind it they would not have been allowed to board.

Just something to keep in mind when planning transportation to Sweard from Anchorage if you're not using Celebrity transportation - plan to be earlier just in case of an accident on that road.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:36 AM, lakejoys said:

Hi Everyone,

Have you talked with your travel agent in the last few days?  I would suggest you do so.

3 hours ago, keesar said:

Have you talked with your travel agent in the last few days?  I would suggest you do so.

Not sure what you mean as Alaska cruises have been suspended through June 11.  We aren't departing until late July.  Yes, it could still change to impact our sailing date but we'll adjust plans if that happens. 

If you are referring to something else then you'll have to spell it out.

5 hours ago, lakejoys said:

Not sure what you mean as Alaska cruises have been suspended through June 11.  We aren't departing until late July.  Yes, it could still change to impact our sailing date but we'll adjust plans if that happens. 

If you are referring to something else then you'll have to spell it out.

My Alaska cruise was not to have sailed until late August.  But Cunard decided to cancel their entire Alaska season as a shortened one would not have been feasible.  Your TA might have some insight on the likelihood of Celebrity resuming operations by July.