Cruise Critic Community
SquishTheWhale

Transatlantic with a 1yr old?

5 hours ago, Erica@cruisecritic said:

Jumping in as the family expert from Cruise Critic's editorial team! 😉

Is this your first kid? 1.5 year olds are all kinds of energetic, and it's hard to know at 8 weeks the personality of yours. Will he be the kind of kid who happily sleeps in a stroller through a show and play happily with whatever toys are at hand, or will he be like mine who at 1 was trying eat the decorative rocks in the atrium, spent endless hours pushing a walking toy up and down the cabin hallways and would only nap in his pack n play. I can tell you the latter is exhausting, and 2 weeks with nowhere to go would have been torture. YMMV -- which is why I recommend getting to know your kid before booking a long cruise with no ports. Some will handle it gracefully, and others won't.

This. 

My youngest daughter, at 18 months old, was a runner, climber, and LOVED the water. Had NO fear. There’s no way I would have known at 8 weeks old how her temperament would be at 18 months. She would not have been content with the kiddie splash pool, she would have wanted to be in the main pool. Not allowed if a child is in diapers. It would not have been a fun vacation for anyone taking her on a cruise at 18 months old. I also am not the type that would go on a family vacation with my children to put them in a day care or nursery. 

Would I do it?  Sure.  

Although I'd recommend getting at least a Central Park Balcony rather than a CP View room -- allows you to put the little one to bed (or just a nap), then retire out to the balcony for adult chat / happy hour / whatever.  The price is usually pretty comparable, because of supply and demand (not many View rooms, lots of Balcony rooms).  

You're already a veteran cruiser, and you seem to have reasonable expectations (taking turns seeing the shows, etc.).  And an Oasis class ship leaves you with plenty of activities for all the sea days.  

I vote to go for it.  It gives you something to look forward to!

3 hours ago, Fireworks77 said:

Assuming TA cruises are sailing again.  Taking a 1 YO.  Who will be going through teething, crying & fevers is completely unfair to both the child and the people on either side.  Longer cruises typically attract older clients.  You will get lets of snickers and jeers and crooked looks from your fellow passengers.  

I truly believe taking any child under the age of two that has not been fully immunized into a closed environment where too many people are is close quarters is a recipe for disaster.  Even putting aside our current C-19 virus pandemic for a moment. it’s just not worth it.  

I have three kids myself.  And we waited to cruise and don't regret that decision one bit.

then it was 5-7 day cruises.  Would not start on a 14 day cruise plus the extra time traveling to and from an international port on long haul international flights.

Bye...  

As the parent of 3 kids (ages 10, 7, and 3), I couldn't agree more with this.  A million percent.  My wife and I took a 10 year cruise hiatus until December 2019, when our 3 year old was ready to rock a 7 night Carribbean cruise.  We hardly used the kids club - the older kids asked to go for an hour here or there - but the notion of extended care (or even self care) for a 1 year old is crazy IMO.  I've done two transatlantics, albeit many years ago aboard the QE2.  The weather, the sea conditions, the distance from serious medical care, etc - absolutely not worth the risk with a kid that young.  Not to mention the way of life aboard a 14 day transatlantic - tons of quiet time, reading a book time, etc.  Not the environment for a 1 year old.  Knock it off.

10 hours ago, Erica@cruisecritic said:

Jumping in as the family expert from Cruise Critic's editorial team! 😉

Is this your first kid? 1.5 year olds are all kinds of energetic, and it's hard to know at 8 weeks the personality of yours. Will he be the kind of kid who happily sleeps in a stroller through a show and play happily with whatever toys are at hand, or will he be like mine who at 1 was trying eat the decorative rocks in the atrium, spent endless hours pushing a walking toy up and down the cabin hallways and would only nap in his pack n play. I can tell you the latter is exhausting, and 2 weeks with nowhere to go would have been torture. YMMV -- which is why I recommend getting to know your kid before booking a long cruise with no ports. Some will handle it gracefully, and others won't.

Also, my son at 1 and my daughter at 2 on cruises did a typical kid thing and stopped eating/drinking normally while away from home. While this is a normal little kid response to change in routine is that something you want to handle on a long sailing? Sleep also gets disrupted; transatlantic cruises involve daily (or almost daily) time changes, and your kid is not going to adjust as well as you to the schedule. Make sure you're cool with that.

If you do choose a long cruise with a toddler, bring extra clothes, diapers, toys, kid snacks, etc. Be prepared to pay for laundry or bring a lot of detergent for washing in your sink. Also soap to wash out bottles or sippy cups each night. And be sure to get them adorable outfits for formal nights (we got my son a tuxedo onesie!) because those photos will be priceless. 🙂 

Thank you all very helpful. Yes he's our first! We are obviously still adjusting to how different life is with kids! Maybe we'd be better waiting another year then. We did a cruise with our 3yr old nephew last summer and beyond the usual toddler high jinx it was fun!

2 hours ago, uvadover said:

As the parent of 3 kids (ages 10, 7, and 3), I couldn't agree more with this.  A million percent.  My wife and I took a 10 year cruise hiatus until December 2019, when our 3 year old was ready to rock a 7 night Carribbean cruise.  We hardly used the kids club - the older kids asked to go for an hour here or there - but the notion of extended care (or even self care) for a 1 year old is crazy IMO.  I've done two transatlantics, albeit many years ago aboard the QE2.  The weather, the sea conditions, the distance from serious medical care, etc - absolutely not worth the risk with a kid that young.  Not to mention the way of life aboard a 14 day transatlantic - tons of quiet time, reading a book time, etc.  Not the environment for a 1 year old.  Knock it off.

Thank you definitely the kind of experienced perspective I was looking for

I did a 7 day Caribbean cruise (driving distance from port, so no long flights involved!) with an 8 month old.  Honestly, it was not a good experience and I definitely wouldn't do it again.  It did not help that halfway through the cruise my husband and I were both struck with norovirus (which obviously could have happened with or without baby...) but having to entertain, feed, bathe,  and manage an 8 month old while we were both ill was terrible.  (Yes, this could have happened at home as well, but we would have been much more comfortable in our own house with more than one bathroom vs three people in a balcony room.)

Even WITHOUT the noro aspect, I still did not have much fun.  (Basing this on first three or four days.)

Dining times are stressful with a little one who has limited patience, and dinner can take over an hour.  Buffet is not my favorite but that was also hard to try and manage- not enough hands, have to find high chair, etc.  She was still on primarily baby foods, so that was also kind of a pain.  That part would be a little better with a one year old.  

There really wasn't a lot that we could all enjoy.  We took a lot of walks around the promenade deck with her in the stroller.  She wasn't allowed in pool.  We utilized the nursery a few times but that adds up quickly, and of course we didn't go on a cruise just to put her in the nursery the whole time.

Your experience might be totally different.  I see other posters who had a great time.  I'm not suggesting you shouldn't do it, but just wanted to offer my own point of view.  This was on Disney Magic, btw.

We did not cruise again until baby #2 was just a few weeks shy of 2 and older sister was 5.5.  Even then it was challenging but a little better.  We have since cruised a few more times and felt like that 4 was the sweet spot where it got significantly easier.  

We are doing a transatlantic (hopefully!) in a few months- oldest will be 9.5 and youngest will be 6.  I am thinking this is gonna be great 🙂  

On 4/26/2020 at 9:41 PM, Fireworks77 said:

Assuming TA cruises are sailing again.  Taking a 1 YO.  Who will be going through teething, crying & fevers is completely unfair to both the child and the people on either side.  Longer cruises typically attract older clients.  You will get lets of snickers and jeers and crooked looks from your fellow passengers.  

I truly believe taking any child under the age of two that has not been fully immunized into a closed environment where too many people are is close quarters is a recipe for disaster.  Even putting aside our current C-19 virus pandemic for a moment. it’s just not worth it.  

I have three kids myself.  And we waited to cruise and don't regret that decision one bit.

then it was 5-7 day cruises.  Would not start on a 14 day cruise plus the extra time traveling to and from an international port on long haul international flights.

Bye...  

A lot of them may be disqualified from cruising now. No one knows yet. 

12 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

A lot of them may be disqualified from cruising now. No one knows yet. 

Actually cruise lines removed the 70 year old age limit yesterday. It’s back to customers individual discretion plus any enhanced screening of course.

8 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Actually cruise lines removed the 70 year old age limit yesterday. It’s back to customers individual discretion plus any enhanced screening of course.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Protocols

We are currently laser-focused on additional safety enhancements for our return to service. To develop our future boarding screening process and updated health protocols, we are collaborating with government health authorities, the Cruise Lines International Association, and our own team of medical experts. These are not yet finalized, but when they are, we will be sure to let you and your Travel Advisor know via email.

We know that our 70+ guests and those with chronic conditions are especially eager to understand what cruising will look like in the future. While subject to change, via the Cruise Lines International Association, we have confirmed that the previous restrictions were lifted in early April after cruise lines suspended service. Please know that every decision we make, and all of the fine-tuning we do, has your well-being in mind. We miss you – and can’t wait to welcome you back onboard.

So they did. It's going to be interesting to see just what kind of protocols they will have in place. You can bet it will be very senior-centric as they are the most at risk. 

NO NO NO.  Too many variables with a one year old.  Leave him or her with grandparents and go and enjoy the cruise yourselves.  I would be worried silly that the kid could get sick and that the med facility on board could not assist.  Really, trans atlantics are made up of me (retired) people with nothing to care about except ourselves.     Don't just look at the price!.